Antibiotics in pregnancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBubel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any quick, concise references outlining which antibiotics to avoid at what points during pregnancy? I generally know which ones are teratogenic, but if anyone knows of a nice outlined summary regarding timing throughout pregnancy, it would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think either red book (Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Infertility or Comprehensive Handbook) is helpful to have on hand for questions like that. In actuality, the list of antibiotics to worry about is pretty small. Avoid fluroquinolones and tetracyclines. Avoid macrobid and bactrim in the first trimester and near term.

Also- take your identifying information out of your signature. 1st rule of SDN is maintain your anonymity!!

Does anyone know of any quick, concise references outlining which antibiotics to avoid at what points during pregnancy? I generally know which ones are teratogenic, but if anyone knows of a nice outlined summary regarding timing throughout pregnancy, it would be helpful. Thank you!