pre-clinical grades (basic sciences)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirosman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need an honest assessment/advice. My first two years of medical school did not go very well at all. In fact, although I passed most classes fine, I did fail three or four courses (life was extremely tough for me then for personal reasons [father very ill]).

I am wondering, how much this is going to change my outlook for residency? I am interested in FP and will do it anywhere... (not particularly picky but I guess I am wondering if I will ever get in because of my grades) There are a few other factors as well which I should mention: I am an American, carib grad. I am a college lecturer (California - 4 year university – been teaching for 3 years), been out of med school since 2003. Have a masters in Health administration (almost finished) with a 3.93 GPA. I failed step 1 twice but passed with a 205 (82) and step 2 is coming up shortly (will most likely pass with around a 205 as well – no failed attempts on that).

There were some circumstances during my first two years of school but my clinical years were much much better (1 failed one rotation (FP) because of PD hated carib students - retook it and got honors - have letter from our dean attesting to bias as the reason for fail grade rather than student ability). I do have a lot of honors in my clinical years (more than P's and HP's actually).

So, I would sincerely appreciate an honest assessment (especially from those who are already in residency). Do I still have a chance because of my poor grades in the first two years? From what I hear, PD's don't really care about first two year's grades but I want to get other's opinion on this. The attempts on step 1 are bad, I know, but I know people with the same number of attempts who are in… so it is these grades that are killing me…

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I need an honest assessment/advice. My first two years of medical school did not go very well at all. In fact, although I passed most classes fine, I did fail three or four courses (life was extremely tough for me then for personal reasons [father very ill]).

I am wondering, how much this is going to change my outlook for residency? I am interested in FP and will do it anywhere... (not particularly picky but I guess I am wondering if I will ever get in because of my grades) There are a few other factors as well which I should mention: I am an American, carib grad. I am a college lecturer (California - 4 year university – been teaching for 3 years), been out of med school since 2003. Have a masters in Health administration (almost finished) with a 3.93 GPA. I failed step 1 twice but passed with a 205 (82) and step 2 is coming up shortly (will most likely pass with around a 205 as well – no failed attempts on that).

There were some circumstances during my first two years of school but my clinical years were much much better (1 failed one rotation (FP) because of PD hated carib students - retook it and got honors - have letter from our dean attesting to bias as the reason for fail grade rather than student ability). I do have a lot of honors in my clinical years (more than P's and HP's actually).

So, I would sincerely appreciate an honest assessment (especially from those who are already in residency). Do I still have a chance because of my poor grades in the first two years? From what I hear, PD's don't really care about first two year's grades but I want to get other's opinion on this. The attempts on step 1 are bad, I know, but I know people with the same number of attempts who are in… so it is these grades that are killing me…

Thanks

Im a 2nd year, and I havent gone through Boards, rotatations, or residency apps yet. However, I am also not doing too well in basic sciences, as it is now. Ive talked to people as well, and they told me that the main factors are Boards, clinicals, and recs. If youre strong in those areas, youll be fine.

Basic science grades only really matter if youre applying to a super competitive specialty, and only because it gives you an advantage to be AOA. Applying for Family Practice should not be a problem, particularly if youre willing to do it anywhere. If your boards and clinicals are decent, you should be fine.