Is my basic science LOR impressive enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isoflow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard the advice multiple times (both here and IRL) that letters from a PhD are basically useless for residency unless the PhD is super famous +/- you were a lab superstar. Now, my PI is definitely not famous, but I think I did well and I definitely want to continue research in residency.

What do you think, sdn? I'm leaning towards including it as my 4th lor but obviously there's an opportunity cost since I can only send so many letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very important and helpful if you are doing a research-based residency or have an interest going forward. Otherwise you are right, you'll have to balance the pros and cons but in general someone that has worked with you recently and says good things can be valuable.

I 100% want to try to make a career doing research in academia. Obviously I know a lot of people fail to get the necessary grants, but I intend to give it my best shot.

We are still actively working together, so it sounds like I should go ahead and use it. Thanks!

Last edited: