Clinical Trials as Publications in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktycat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on my application for FM and Peds. I am a US-IMG, I have been working as a research assistant in >10 clinical trials that are currently either still enrolling subjects or recently closed for data analysis. I am already writing my functions in the experiences sections, describing exactly what I do (taking medical histories, reviewing inclusion/exclusion, consents, phlebotomy, EKG etc).

I was going to put each trial as a publication, but it is not published (so would put it as "other than published"), and about the authors, I basically do not know them since they are sponsored by pharmaceutical companies. The principal investigator that runs the trial in the site is just one of many since companies use different sites to run the trial and gather all the data in the end.

Nevertheless, it's still relevant, and I have been involved very closely with the protocols and would love to make it stand out in my application since I do not have any other kind of publication.

Has anyone faced some similar situation? How would be the best way to put it?

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

These are not publications, it is experience and that's where you will list it.

And as a research assistant (one of probably hundreds who are working on these various studies nation/world-wide), you are not going to be listed as an author on the publications when they are published, so even then you couldn't put them in the publications section.

Reactions: 1 user
These are not publications, it is experience and that's where you will list it.

And as a research assistant (one of probably hundreds who are working on these various studies nation/world-wide), you are not going to be listed as an author on the publications when they are published, so even then you couldn't put them in the publications section.

Ok thank you! Yes i know, they are protocols that are conducted in multiple countries, not in my wildest dreams I could be an author at this point of my life LOL, but... I guess I'll put each one as a research experience. ;):happy:

I agree with gutonc.

If you've been research assistant from 2017-2019 and that's where those clinical trials are coming from, I'd list it all as one. It's not 10 different research experiences. You can write under the description - developed x protocol for y clinical trial. You can write more extensively in the description to emphasize your role. If you did work several different places then that's another story. When I see someone split up their experience and it's all at the same place, it makes me think the applicant lacks extracurriculars and is trying to fluff up the application.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with gutonc.

If you've been research assistant from 2017-2019 and that's where those clinical trials are coming from, I'd list it all as one. It's not 10 different research experiences. You can write under the description - developed x protocol for y clinical trial. You can write more extensively in the description to emphasize your role. If you did work several different places then that's another story. When I see someone split up their experience and it's all at the same place, it makes me think the applicant lacks extracurriculars and is trying to fluff up the application.
Yes, I actually started putting it as one experience, briefly describing the protocols... but there's so little space, so I am making it 2 experiences, one to describe the general role, and the other to just put the trials in a brief way (since the name of the protocols are super long) . I don't know how would that look. :/ Essentially that's my main research experience, all others are work/volunteering.

Thank you for the feedback! :)