Practicing docs, what do you wear during treatment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you wear during treatment?

• Scrubs without white coat

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • Scrubs with white coat

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Business/Business casual without white coat

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Business/Business casual with white coat

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m curious what y’all wear during treatment? Also where are you practicing, it might be interesting to see if there are any regional trends. Have patients ever commented on your choice of clothes? Have you ever changed styles and why?

For myself I’m an army doc and I wear the ugly scrubs they give us and no coat. I’m looking to start working off post on the weekends and will need to wear my own clothes and am looking to see what others do.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it has a lot to do with what kind of patients we treat. Is it an "esthetic spa" or a Medicaid mill? For the former, doctors would be more likely formally dressed vs. for the latter docs would wear normal scrubs.

Reactions: 1 user
Well kept, matching scrubs can look just as professional as "formal dress". Plus, who wants to take patient grossness home to be washed out of their shirt and tie? Gross.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in an FQHC. We wear scrubs and blue lab coats. Personally, the idea of not having something covering my arms entirely really grosses me out. I really don't want to be covered in aerosolized blood and saliva if I can avoid it.

I work in an FQHC. We wear scrubs and blue lab coats. Personally, the idea of not having something covering my arms entirely really grosses me out. I really don't want to be covered in aerosolized blood and saliva if I can avoid it.
Disposable gowns?

Scrubs and launderable gowns during treatment

When I first graduated I really liked being in business casual with lab coat (thought it made me more doctor-y) but holy crap that got old fast…

Disposable gowns?
Nope, laundered. Similar to this one
1663358274816.png

Reactions: 1 users
I work at a DSO who treats lower income patients. Mostly ... I wear scrubs only. If it's cold in the office, or it's a messy deband (remove braces) procedure .... then I'll put a white lab jacket on.

Scrubs with a disposable gown over them.

My office has different colors that we wear each day of the week.

Monday - Black
Tuesday - Navy
Wednesday - Medium Blue
Thursday - Maroon
Friday - Tan or Gray

I work at an FQHC - scrubs with black scrub coats instead of white coats