Applying to Ortho after practicing as a GP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dzmoya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I graduated in 2022 and have been practicing as a general dentist since graduating. I have not been enjoying it as much as I thought I would and long story short I want to do ortho. I was just curious how applying is as a general dentist? Unfortunately in school I didnt think I was going to specialized so I'm a bit worried about my application. I had a 3.697 GPA and I think my class rank was 23/103. I don't have any research experience and I was part of a few school organizations but I never held positions, I was just a general member in them all.

I'm planning on applying next cycle so hopefully in that time I can make my application stand out a bit more. Some people have told me to get a masters and some say I really need research experience. I don't really want to go to school and get a random masters. There is a dental school close to me so I was thinking about reaching out to someone there and seeing if I could help with any research since I dont work on Fridays (not sure if they will let someone who isnt a student just do research though?). I'm also going to look into shadowing some orthodontists around town so I have hours with that and hopefully can ask them for a letter of rec.

Basically just asking for any help and any tips?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Next cycle opens in May, so hopefully you're submitting your applications by June or July. That leaves a lot to do in only a few months:

1.) Take the GRE (and hopefully crush it to bolster your chances)
2.) Get 3-4 letters of rec (you'll want to ask people by May at the latest to allow them at least a month to write and submit
3.) Get some research experience (I agree that researching on Fridays at the dental school would be a great start)
4.) Write a killer personal statement
5.) Compile a list of schools to apply to, as well as complete all their secondary applications (you'll likely want to apply to 30+ programs to increase interview/match chances)

It can be done, but only with great motivation and haste. I'd suggest getting started as though you'll submit this cycle, but if circumstances force you to apply next cycle, that will just give you a bit more time to round out an amazing application.

Best of luck!

Next cycle opens in May, so hopefully you're submitting your applications by June or July. That leaves a lot to do in only a few months:

2.) Get 3-4 letters of rec (you'll want to ask people by May at the latest to allow them at least a month to write and submit
3.) Get some research experience (I agree that researching on Fridays at the dental school would be a great start)
5.) Compile a list of schools to apply to, as well as complete all their secondary applications (you'll likely want to apply to 30+ programs to increase interview/match chances)

It can be done, but only with great motivation and haste. I'd suggest getting started as though you'll submit this cycle, but if circumstances force you to apply next cycle, that will just give you a bit more time to round out an amazing application.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the reply!
I didn't want to rush applying this cycle with an application that appears half-assed so I'm currently leaning to applying next cycle to give it my best shot. I would prefer to apply once

Who should I get letters from? I have at least one maybe 2 professors from dental school I could ask but should I be getting a letter from an orthodontist? My old bosses liked me but they dont seem like people that would write a good letter so I dont think im going to ask them.

Best of luck!
I'd agreed with everything that was said here.
Question though? let said you apply once and didn't get in.. are you going to apply again?
if yes, then I'm confused why you wouldn't try to apply this cycle and if nothing happen, apply next yr with a better application?!

Letters can be from the professors from dental school or just generally someone that can attest your clinical skills (even though you have been working since 2022) Letters from Ortho faculty (or orthodontist) would be great in your situation if you have the ability to find/connect with someone.