Ortho experiences doable during AEGD/GPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paamp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's kind of strange having to prepare to apply Ortho again before this current cycle has even really started but just to be prepared, does anyone know of any ortho specific experiences (could be CE, preceptorships/observerships etc.) that one could presumably do during an AEGD/GPR? I see many ortho internships/fellowships/preceptorships popping up but those all require a year long commitment on top of having to pay tuition and I'd honestly rather make money and you know, do actual dentistry lol (no offense to people doing these "enrichment"/pay-to-play programs) so I'd like to hear of any suggestions people may have for similar programs I could do concurrently with a residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to find a connection through your AEGD program to get involved with ortho. Observing, assisting in an affiliated ortho clinic. Attending orthognathic surgery conferences or lectures if the program has an affiliated OMFS residency.

If you have to find your own experiences, then you may be able to shadow or even work as an assistant on Saturdays at an ortho office. It's hard to recommend any meaningful CE that you could take to strengthen your application. You'd probably be better off reading ortho-specific publications from cover to cover to get a better sense of the materials, technology and clinical scenario the profession deals with. Free ones include as Orthodontic Products magazine and journal articles from Angle. The Journal of Clinical Ortho is not too expensive and is easy to read and practical. You can also access their articles for free if you are an ADA member. The American Journal of Orthodontics (AJODO) is a very formal journal with lots of landmark research but I think if a new dental grad tried to read it, they'd quickly be bored.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to find a connection through your AEGD program to get involved with ortho. Observing, assisting in an affiliated ortho clinic. Attending orthognathic surgery conferences or lectures if the program has an affiliated OMFS residency.

If you have to find your own experiences, then you may be able to shadow or even work as an assistant on Saturdays at an ortho office. It's hard to recommend any meaningful CE that you could take to strengthen your application. You'd probably be better off reading ortho-specific publications from cover to cover to get a better sense of the materials, technology and clinical scenario the profession deals with. Free ones include as Orthodontic Products magazine and journal articles from Angle. The Journal of Clinical Ortho is not too expensive and is easy to read and practical. You can also access their articles for free if you are an ADA member. The American Journal of Orthodontics (AJODO) is a very formal journal with lots of landmark research but I think if a new dental grad tried to read it, they'd quickly be bored.
Great this is excellent advice even for this current cycle I think! Will put it to good use, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user