(Potential) National Embargo on Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efle

not an elf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hot off the press from our SOM leadership - there is apparently discussion about a nation-wide ban on visiting/away rotations this year. Potentially may have exceptions for fields in which it is crucial (their example was Emergency Medicine).

Just a heads up.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Hot off the press from our SOM leadership - there is apparently discussion about a nation-wide ban on visiting/away rotations this year. Potentially may have exceptions for fields in which it is crucial (their example was Emergency Medicine).

Just a heads up.

They need to make exceptions for ortho, nsurg, plastics, IR, vascular, CT, ENT, uro...what am I missing?

Reactions: 1 user
They need to make exceptions for ortho, nsurg, plastics, IR, vascular, CT, ENT, uro...what am I missing?
I think they had SLOE in mind rather than what the norm is for the specialty. Aways for the sake of aways is probs dead this year.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Just a heads up.

To your knowledge is this an internal ban from outside students to your SOM or was this a discussion with other schools discussing removing aways

To your knowledge is this an internal ban from outside students to your SOM or was this a discussion with other schools discussing removing aways
National/with other SOMs. Our hospital has already banned visiting students from coming here until at least October.

Reactions: 1 users
I think they had SLOE in mind rather than what the norm is for the specialty. Aways for the sake of aways is probs dead this year.

Then all those other fields need to start using SLOEs immediately lol

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
There is zero reason to be making this sort of decision in early April. Will make matching non primary care fields as DOs much more difficult and I'd imagine those MD programs that are outside the top 50 will experience these effects as well. Not good or at the very least way too soon to make this decision IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
What is interesting that they would allow EM to continue. My school has suspended all EM rotations until August, possibly even later.
The match is going to be a blood bath this year. What a time to be alive.
Edit: What if there is an accessible IGG test in the near future?

Reactions: 9 users
There is zero reason to be making this sort of decision in early April. Will make matching non primary care fields as DOs much more difficult and I'd imagine those MD programs that are outside the top 50 will experience these effects as well. Not good or at the very least way too soon to make this decision IMO.
Apparently they're also talking about potential ERAS deadline delays and remote/zoom interviews with residencies. I think the assumption is that even if the first wave is done by late summer, it's probably going to re-emerge in flu season and flying medical students all over the nation while in the middle of clerkships would be a great way to seed it into all the hospitals throughout winter. That's me speculating though (about the rationale; these things ARE being actively discussed at the highest levels per our deans).

What is interesting that they would allow EM to continue. My school has suspended all EM rotations until August, possibly even later.
The match is going to be a blood bath this year. What a time to be alive.
Edit: What if there is an accessible IGG test in the near future?
People gonna be out here licking doorknobs so theyll be allowed to do their aways lol

• Haha
Apparently they're also talking about potential ERAS deadline delays and remote/zoom interviews with residencies. I think the assumption is that even if the first wave is done by late summer, it's probably going to re-emerge in flu season and flying medical students all over the nation while in the middle of clerkships would be a great way to seed it into all the hospitals throughout winter. That's me speculating though (about the rationale; these things ARE being actively discussed at the highest levels per our deans).
My school also hinted towards a national conversation about ERAS deadline extension.
People gonna be out here licking doorknobs so theyll be allowed to do their aways lol
I immediately also thought of gunners self exposing to get that IGG result. But its surprising that they arent going to allow the surgical subs the same privilege.

Big question is , is vsas going to refund my application fee's. I already know the answer.

Reactions: 15 users
First they need to make a national embargo on Step 2 C and COMLEX Level 2 PE.

Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't wait to be in a bad community program for training while MDs with a 225 who didn't even try just happens to match mid tier universities in my specialty and don't have any ties to the field other than "well I wanted to do ortho but this is also cool"!!!

All that salt aside, I feel like this talk is way premature. And yes, if we are cancelling away rotations (but allowing EM; just LOL at that exception) then CS and PE should not exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
All that research about what day my favorite program will open

so i can be up in the morning, apply early and get first dibs...

for nothing :laugh:

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I also think CS is in trouble. IMGs have to have it before they can join our ERAS/match process and the calendars were already booked until December before COVID showed up. There's just no way to fit all the make-up test takers who had their date cancelled on top of the usual American medical student crowd during the cycle. My bet is that CS still happens, but is only required by the start of residency in July.

Big question is , is vsas going to refund my application fee's. I already know the answer.

I actually got a refund for applications submitted for April away rotations (as in this month), so they may surprise you (MAY).

• Wow
If there’s some magic exception made for EM just because it’s EM, people will riot. To my knowledge, there’s no LCME/ACGME requirement that SLOEs exist at all for residency. If that’s the case, then potentially forcing them to get exposed to covid just to get interviews or letting them participate in aways while the rest of us sit on our hands opens up litigation imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
"Needed" is a very subjective term. In some small fields, the way they choose applicants is heavily based on aways despite not using the SLOE. In those fields, the away isn't "just for the sake of doing an away" but is a true audition and the many many students in those fields match where they did an away.

If there’s some magic exception made for EM just because it’s EM, people will riot. To my knowledge, there’s no LCME/ACGME requirement that SLOEs exist at all for residency. If that’s the case, then potentially forcing them to get exposed to covid just to get interviews or letting them participate in aways while the rest of sit on our hands opens up litigation imo.
Its just weird that they would literally carve out an exception for the field where you would have the most exposure, and act like thats completely rational.

Reactions: 17 users
Its just weird that they would literally carve out an exception for the field where you would have the most exposure, and act like thats completely rational.
This is likely brought to you by the brilliant top 10 med school minds behind pass/fail step 1 though...

• Dislike
Reactions: 18 users
Haven't heard anything new about this yet but our leadership told us a similar thing at our last class meeting. Quoted my other post for their explanation.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but figured it was good information to have: My school leadership passed along today that they believe away rotations will be canceled this year. They said that it will be a matter of equity, certain schools being in hotspots at different times and students from those schools would likely be prohibited, so the AAMC is talking about canceling all away rotations this year. They're likely to make an announcement next week.

Obviously don't let that change current plans, the worst that happens if this does occur is some money lost (cause LOL V$A$). I'm still sending some applications in just in case. But I thought this would be good information to have out there.

• Sad
This is likely brought to you by the brilliant top 10 med school minds behind pass/fail step 1 though...
Y’all seen Tiger King? Nothing has to make sense to happen anymore.

• Haha
Y’all seen Tiger King? Nothing has to make sense to happen anymore.

Bro, I actually was AT THAT ZOO two years ago. Saw the sign while driving on a trip with some friends and we thought it looked cool so we stopped by. It was just as crazy as it looks in that show.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users

"Would you eat a poop hotdog to be able to do an away this season"?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Thought rising m3 had it bad being stuck in dedicated limbo. M4 way worse.

Thought rising m3 had it bad being stuck in dedicated limbo. M4 way worse.
Not sure how you thought rising m3s had it worse. I have been constantly saying this to myself.

So if you don't have a home program in your specialty you're just screwed?

If they make an exception for fields in which aways are "essential," you would end up with just about the same number of aways overall. Sure, prohibit them in IM, peds, whatever. They're not doing them anyway. I would bet that over 95% of aways are done by people applying in "essential" fields.

I think the SLOE is a good idea in general, but the fact that EM uses a template for LORs while other fields don't doesn't make their aways any more essential than others'. It's impossible to match in my speciality in a normal year without them.

If they make an exception for fields in which aways are "essential," you would end up with just about the same number of aways overall. Sure, prohibit them in IM, peds, whatever. They're not doing them anyway. I would bet that over 95% of aways are done by people applying in "essential" fields.

I think the SLOE is a good idea in general, but the fact that EM uses a template for LORs while other fields don't doesn't make their aways any more essential than others'. It's impossible to match in my speciality in a normal year without them.
Make them "essential" for all surgical specialties (including gen surg) and EM. Maybe throw in derm as well, but non primary care fields should be exempt imo. I'd be completely fine if they even put a limit on the number people could do. Allow us 2-3 and while not ideal it would still allow for people to get their foot in the door places and get required letters.

Guys there's also the concern of graduation requirements. Our school is talking about building some weird new curriculum with all 8-week blocks being dropped to 6-week duration for the next 12 months, just so everyone can fit all their remaining requirements. Making room for 2-3 aways would be a big ask, even if all the major hospitals are allowing visitors.

Like I said my hospital is already refusing visitors until at least October and they said that they are very unlikely to be alone in that. They said even if COVID is no longer problematic, there's already going to be overcrowding issues trying to get all graduation requirements met for everyone, with no spare slots for visiting students on the teams.

Guys there's also the concern of graduation requirements. Our school is talking about building some weird new curriculum with all 8-week blocks being dropped to 6-week duration for the next 12 months, just so everyone can fit all their remaining requirements. Making room for 2-3 aways would be a big ask, even if all the major hospitals are allowing visitors.

Like I said my hospital is already refusing visitors until at least October and they said that they are very unlikely to be alone in that. They said even if COVID is no longer problematic, there's already going to be overcrowding issues trying to get all graduation requirements met for everyone, with no spare slots for visiting students on the teams.

Okay well then your program won't take students. Doesn't mean that ALL programs shouldn't take students or allow visiting students. Not to mention the vast number of community based residency programs. Fair and equitable doesn't mean that the minority of places should dictate that the rest don't get away opportunities. If I'm wrong and its a majority then I'll eat my words, but doesn't sound like it.

Okay well then your program won't take students. Doesn't mean that ALL programs shouldn't take students or allow visiting students. Not to mention the vast number of community based residency programs. Fair and equitable doesn't mean that the minority of places should dictate that the rest don't get away opportunities. If I'm wrong and its a majority then I'll eat my words, but doesn't sound like it.
If they are going to cancel away rotations at 60% of places, they should cancel all away rotations. Just because of sheer luck you end up in a place that did not cancel aways and are able to complete the rotation doesn't mean that it is fair and equitable. That is a lottery and is random luck.

That was their point about not being alone in this - we can't have some hospitals open and others closed, the example they used was some cities being hotspots with aways cancelled on students at the last minute while other cities allowed their aways. Only way to ensure equal footing is a blanket national ban for the year.

I'll bump to feed you your words if our deans turn out right lol!

PS my plastics rotation last autumn had 7 students - 2 of us MS3s and 5 visiting. I can see why they'd worry about overcrowding...

If they are going to cancel away rotations at 60% of places, they should cancel all away rotations. Just because of sheer luck you end up in a place that did not cancel aways and are able to complete the rotation doesn't mean that it is fair and equitable. That is a lottery and is random luck.

You’re making a pretty big assumption that 60% of places plan to cancel aways as it is. Take a look on vsas and the majority of programs are still taking students. Honestly the kicker in all this is if this mindset to cancel all aways across the board is coming from a small percentage of schools then that is not fair and equitable to the majority.

This really doesn’t have as large of an impact on MD programs, specifically those mid to upper tier schools, but for lower tier MD schools and all DO schools (save the handful of state schools) this would be a phenomenal blow when it comes match time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

You’re making a pretty big assumption that 60% of places plan to cancel aways as it is. Take a look on vsas and the majority of programs are still taking students. Honestly the kicker in all this is if this mindset to cancel all aways across the board is coming from a small percentage of schools then that is not fair and equitable to the majority.

This really doesn’t have as large of an impact on MD programs, specifically those mid to upper tier schools, but for lower tier MD schools and all DO schools (save the handful of state schools) this would be a phenomenal blow when it comes match time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
100% of schools closed down for two weeks, most programs in my specialty closed down aways until august september. This is not just top tier schools this is almost every program. And you cant really have surgery rotations if there is no surgery going on.
That being said , yes it will disproportionately impact people from lower tier schools. But will realistically impact people with no home programs more than any tier designation.

Take a look on vsas and the majority of programs are still taking students.
I'm shocked by this tbh, would've thought they'd at least suspend the service while they sort it out like USMLE is doing with Step 2 CS

people with no home programs more than any tier designation.
Agreed these people are toast. Research year time for them 110%.

100% of schools closed down for two weeks, most programs in my specialty closed down aways until august september. This is not just top tier schools this is almost every program. And you cant really have surgery rotations if there is no surgery going on.
That being said , yes it will disproportionately impact people from lower tier schools. But will realistically impact people with no home programs more than any tier designation.

Closed down until August or September doesn't mean they're closed down indefinitely for the year or plan to be. Sorry not buying that as rationale for shutting the whole system down. As far as surgeries, you mean to tell me elective procedures are going to be suspended for another 3/4/5 months? I doubt that wholeheartedly

Closed down until August or September doesn't mean they're closed down indefinitely for the year or plan to be. Sorry not buying that as rationale for shutting the whole system down. As far as surgeries, you mean to tell me elective procedures are going to be suspended for another 3/4/5 months? I doubt that wholeheartedly
Dude I'd put money up 5:1 aways are getting cancelled for you past summer. I know it feels like the most important thing in the world to us, but to the hospitals? They've got nothing to gain and a lot to risk by flying students in from all over the country who were just on the wards at other hospitals in flu season.

Reactions: 5 users
Dude I'd put money up 5:1 aways are getting cancelled for you past summer. I know it feels like the most important thing in the world to us, but to the hospitals? They've got nothing to gain and a lot to risk by flying students in from all over the country who were just on the wards at other hospitals in flu season.

I genuinely hope you're wrong for not only my sake, but for all of us who have worked to put ourselves in the best position to match and worked hard to carefully craft an audition schedule to maximize our chances.

Last edited:
Agreed these people are toast. Research year time for them 110%.

I think research year opportunities are gone for most, or at least a lot. Most likely it'll be emergency MS/MPH/MBA if they can swing it. That, or a leave of absence and do/continue research full time with whoever you were working with.

Last edited:
I genuinely hope you're wrong for not only my sake, but for all of us who have worked to put ourselves in the best position to match and worked hard set carefully craft an audition schedule to maximize our chances.
On the other hand, imagine how insanely angry you'd be if your cities had a COVID wave that cancelled your auditions, meanwhile classmates got to attend theirs elsewhere. At least everyone will be screwed together this way.

On the other hand, imagine how insanely angry you'd be if your cities had a COVID wave that cancelled your auditions, meanwhile classmates got to attend theirs elsewhere. At least everyone will be screwed together this way.

In theory that is true, but the reality is we're not all in the same boat if this happens. It disproportionately effects lower tier schools and those without home institutions.

If ERAS timelines are the same, they are essentially indefinitely closed. You need three letters for my field. So doing aways in September october is counterproductive considering the application is already sent out.
I dont know what electives surgery is going to look like, all it will take is another outbreak with community spread and boom your rotation is toast in that city.
we literally have zero influence in the process. They dont need you to accept the rationale.

If ERAS timelines are the same, they are essentially indefinitely closed. You need three letters for my field. So doing aways in September october is counterproductive considering the application is already sent out.
I dont know what electives surgery is going to look like, all it will take is another outbreak with community spread and boom your rotation is toast in that city.
we literally have zero influence in the process. They dont need you to accept the rationale.

Well you bring up another point, ERAS ought to be moved back and same with the match this year. This would in theory allow for aways to be completed and letters to obtained. Guess we'll have to wait and see

Make them "essential" for all surgical specialties (including gen surg) and EM. Maybe throw in derm as well, but non primary care fields should be exempt imo. I'd be completely fine if they even put a limit on the number people could do. Allow us 2-3 and while not ideal it would still allow for people to get their foot in the door places and get required letters.
That was my point—making those fields "essential" would mean the prohibition would be meaningless. It would also be hard to justify allowing EM rotators at a hospital but not ortho just because they need someone to fill out their SLOE.

I think suspending aways for this application year is reasonable. I also think it is likely that the ERAS deadline will be pushed back, potentially until December, and maybe aways will be permitted in October-December or so (secret's out: 4th year is a huge waste of time). Neither is a great solution, but what else can be done? Covid is making just about every decision a lose-lose proposition. As long as PDs feel comfortable ranking people who didn't do any aways, the spots will all fill. The match rate will be about the same, perhaps even higher than usual, because people who don't like their chances can take a research year and apply next year.

Gotta say, if I was at the table making this decision, it'd be hard to use any of these objections. On the one hand is patient safety, and on the other is students at new/small schools without a home department being inconvenienced. Not a tough call if I was them, as brutal as it is to those affected.