Core rotations away from home institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can students do core rotations away from their home institution. To me, it looks like people only use VSLO for away rotations, so I assume its not possible?
Or is this school specific.

Say I'm interested in a specific institution but I'm not sure what field I want to go into. I feel like it would make sense to do as many rotations as possible at this institution, rather than at my home institution if that's possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you do your core rotations at the clinical affiliate sites for your medical school. Away rotations are for electives typically during your 4th year and at that time you could do a rotation at a potential place you want to train at to show interest

Also, you don't even know what you want to do so how do you know that this specific institution that you are interested in is considered a good residency program for a specific field ? For instance, you might be enamored with working at MGH because its man's greatest hospital but decide to do emergency medicine, well the MGH program isn't typically considered to be one of the top tier programs from those in the EM community