Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GPA: 3.56 oGPA, 3.63 sGPA
DAT: 19AA, 17TS, 21RC, 18PAT, General chemistry 15
Shadowing: 100 hrs
Volunteering: 300 hrs
Research: developed a bioorganic chemistry laboratory course for my university
Work: biology lab assistant, organic chemistry lab assistant, currently working as a dental assistant for 1 year
Residency: CT
Reapplicant from 2015

School list:

UCONN
USC
NYU
UOP
UCSF
UNLV
Roseman
Tufts
BU
Highly recommend a DAT retake for your 2nd time applying.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA: 3.8 oGPA, 3.77 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 20TS, 21RC, 24PAT, 21 bio, 20 ochem, 20 Chem, 21 we.
Shadowing: 160 hrs
Volunteering: 60 hrs
Research: in a research lab for one year.
Work:
Residency: TX
URM
School list:

All 3 TX schools.

Do I need to apply to other ones? I don't want to be overconfident but applying out of state will definitely be more expensive. I'm hoping that I'm competitive enough to just stay in Texas.

I was thinking of adding:
OU
Colorado
+One other school.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.4 oGPA, 3.2 sGPA
DAT: 20AA, 19TS, 21RC, 23 PAT
Shadowing: 100 hrs (General)
Volunteering: 50 - 100 Hours
Research: over 1000 (Anthro/Cancer/Dental)
ECs: Captain Indian Dance Team, Coordinator Indian Dance Competition, Dental Club, Anthro Club
Residency: PA

I'm also a reapplicant

School List:
BU
Indiana
LECOM
Midwestern IL
NYU
Temple
OSU
Touro (still waitlisted from last cycle)
Tufts
UCSF
UNLV
Pitt
Pacific
WVU
Western
Add Marquette

GPA: 3.8 oGPA, 3.77 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 20TS, 21RC, 24PAT, 21 bio, 20 ochem, 20 Chem, 21 we.
Shadowing: 160 hrs
Volunteering: 60 hrs
Research: in a research lab for one year.
Work:
URM
School list:

All 3 TX schools.

Do I need to apply to other ones? I don't want to be overconfident but applying out of state will definitely be more expensive. I'm hoping that I'm competitive enough to just stay in Texas.

I was thinking of adding:
OU
Colorado
+One other school.
FWIW I applied to three schools and got into 2 of them. I wasn't originally going to apply to the third school and regretted it afterward because I knew they wouldn't interview me.

GPA: 3.83; sGPA: 3.86
CC credits: 60 units (basic science pre-reqs) but took upper divisions at 4 year
DAT: 23AA, 24TS, 24 OC, 22 GC, 25 Bio, 26RC, 20QR, 21PAT,
Shadowing: 20 hrs (general dentist/orthodontist)
Volunteering: 450 hrs
Research: 1000 hours (Includes bench and clinical research)
Work: 1.5 years at my current job at a blood bank lab
Residency: CA
Letter of recommendation: 1 from science professor at 4 year uni, 1 from science professor at CC, 1 from medical director at 4 year with whom I did research with

One of the red-flags that I have is that I have several retroactive drops during several quarters at my 4 year college. I was having some medical issues that made it very difficult for me to perform fully in my classes. Would this be a big issue?

Moreover, another red-flag would be that I have so little shadowing hours with a dentist. I shadowed physicians for at least 100+ hours but I haven't had any luck finding a dentist to shadow.

List of schools: (I haven't applied yet so any comments are appreciated!)
UCLA
USC
UCSF
UOP
Western
Columbia
UPenn
NYU
Touro at NY
Case Western
Roseman
You definitely need more shadowing hours. Everything else looks awesome but the shadowing is lacking extremely. I think for most schools the golden number is around 100 hours. Now get off SDN and shadow!

Oh man, everyone's stat looks great. These are the people I am competing with. :bow::bow:

Reactions: 1 user
@SableFire @JLT223 @Likkriue

Thank you for the advice. I'm just not sure I will be able to get 80 more hours of shadowing in before I hand in my application. Or is it possible for me to shadow after e-submitting and then giving them an update later on in the cycle? :( Would a letter from the dentist I'm shadowing help my case?

Thank you for the advice. I'm just not sure I will be able to get 80 more hours of shadowing in before I hand in my application. Or is it possible for me to shadow after e-submitting and then giving them an update later on in the cycle? :( Would a letter from the dentist I'm shadowing help my case?

Once you e-submit thats it, you can't change anything on ECs. Just get as many hours in as possible. Be sure to be able to describe what you did in shadowing and how it impacted you if it ever comes up. We are just merely telling you that 20 is not going to cut it.

Yeah you can shadow later and update the schools once you get another 40 or so and then update again when you get some more. I did this with my volunteering. You'll have to email the school individually though because you can't change AADSAS. Also a letter of rec might not hurt either.

GPA: ~3.74 BCP GPA, ~3.78 sGPA, ~3.86oGPA
DAT: 21AA, 21TS, 21RC, 24PAT, nothing under 20
Shadowing: 89hrs (General Dentist/Orthodontist/Clinics)
Volunteering/EC/Community: 277 hrs
Research: None
Work: 252hrs (Tutor/Grader/Teacher's Assistant)
Residency: FL

School list:

UF
UCSF
Western
LLUSD
UoP

Not really sure where I should be applying to besides these five. I know my shadowing hours are quite lacking and I'm considering postponing my app a little so I can squeeze in some more hours. Anyways, good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
GPA: ~3.74 BCP GPA, ~3.78 sGPA, ~3.86oGPA
DAT: 21AA, 21TS, 21RC, 24PAT, nothing under 20
Shadowing: 89hrs (General Dentist/Orthodontist/Clinics)
Volunteering/EC/Community: 277 hrs
Work: 252hrs (Tutor/Grader/Teacher's Assistant)

School list:

UF
UCSF
Western
LLUSD
UoP

Not really sure where I should be applying to besides these five. I know my shadowing hours are quite lacking and I'm considering postponing my app a little so I can squeeze in some more hours. Anyways, good luck to everyone applying!

Meh you could probably round up to 100. 90 and 100 isn't much of a difference and you can probably do it within a couple days after submitting. I would add more schools since you have good stats unless you only want to stay in CA.

GPA: ~3.57 sGPA, ~3.604 oGPA (good upward trend, 2.30, 3.00, 4.09, 4.33, 4.297 - won award for the highest average in my program in my graduating year)
DAT: 22AA, 21TS, 22RC, 19PAT
Shadowing: ~900 hours (General Dentist/volunteered as receptionist every summer of UG)
Volunteering/EC/Community: ~400 hrs
Work: pharmacy assistant/tutor
Residency: Canada

Im really not sure what schools to apply to other than the previously canadian friendly ones like Boston, UDM, NYU, Temple, I would definitely appreciate some help there. Im going to retake some prereqs that I did poorly on in first year this year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad most people are using this thread.

Reactions: 4 users
GPA: ~3.57 sGPA, ~3.604 oGPA (good upward trend, 2.30, 3.00, 4.09, 4.33, 4.297 - won award for the highest average in my program in my graduating year)
DAT: 22AA, 21TS, 22RC, 19PAT
Shadowing: ~900 hours (General Dentist/volunteered as receptionist every summer of UG)

Im really not sure what schools to apply to other than the previously canadian friendly ones like Boston, UDM, NYU, Temple, I would definitely appreciate some help there. Im going to retake some prereqs that I did poorly on in first year this year as well.
Minnesota accepts a few Canadians as well. I had two in my interview day of like 10 people. I have also assisted with quite a few at a free dental clinic.

As a reapplicant, have you done anything to improve? Do you have an upward trend in GPA? What did schools say you needed to work on?
Cause I have similar stats and would like to know.

I really focused on bring up my gpa and taking upper level science classes which is what schools told me to do

GPA: 3.57 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 20TS, 26RC, 19PAT, 19 bio, 21 ochem, 20 Chem, 19 QR.
Shadowing: 110 hrs
Research: 3 years
Work: Kaplan DAT instructor, college genetics study group leader, private HS tutor
Residency: MI
I don't know if it matters or not, but I was born and raised from a HPSA designated dental health site (super rural Michigan)
School list:

Michigan
Marquette
UConn
Detroit
Midwestern (AZ)
UCLA or UCSF
Buffalo
Rutgers
Ohio State
Temple
Tufts
Boston
Florida

Suggestions?

I'm premed, not pre-dental, and I don't even know what a good DAT score is sorry lol. I just know that the mission statement of Howard doesn't seem to fit with your profile

What is their mission statement?
Edit: Googled it. I qualify :smuggrin:

I'm glad most people are using this thread.

There's always the special snowflakes with unique circumstances, whose answers I am able to google somehow.

Reactions: 1 users
GPA: 3.59 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA, 3.76 BCP
DAT: 24AA, 25TS, 22 PAT
Shadowing: 30 hrs
Volunteering: 200 hours nondental, 120 hours clinical, 100 misc dental
Research: 2 years (800 hours)
Work: TA, Intern at Biotech, Cashier

UCLA
Penn
Columbia
UCSF
UOP
Creighton
Case Western
USC
Michigan
Detroit Mercy
Western
Tufts
Boston
Louisville
New England
Roseman
NYU
Marquette

GPA: 3.59 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA, 3.76 BCP
DAT: 24AA, 25TS, 22 PAT
Shadowing: 30 hrs
Volunteering: 200 hours nondental, 120 hours clinical, 100 misc dental
Research: 2 years (800 hours)
Work: TA, Intern at Biotech, Cashier

UCLA
Penn
Columbia
UCSF
UOP
Creighton
Case Western
USC
Michigan
Detroit Mercy
Western
Tufts
Boston
Louisville
New England
Roseman
NYU
Marquette

Those stats and 18 schools? You have a fair chance into getting in any of them but you need to up those general practice shadowing hours.

Those stats and 18 schools? You have a fair chance into getting in any of them but you need to up those general practice shadowing hours.

Haha, I'm pretty indecisive and risk adverse. I figure an extra 1k in application fees is better than not receiving any acceptances. What's a good target for general practice shadowing hours? I was hoping that my clinical hours will make up for my lack of shadowing hours. I do a lot of chair siding and xrays in the clinics if that helps.

Haha, I'm pretty indecisive and risk adverse. I figure an extra 1k in application fees is better than not receiving any acceptances. What's a good target for general practice shadowing hours? I was hoping that my clinical hours will make up for my lack of shadowing hours. I do a lot of chair siding and xrays in the clinics if that helps.

100 is the magical number mostly. I think the more you do the better. Will it affect your application that much? No. But if you are willing to spend an extra 1,000, doing some more hours is never a bad idea. I have clinical
Exposure as well(80 hours) but I also made sure to get 150 hours.

I would only apply to 10-12 schools with those stats. Maybe even less. It's an extra 1k for the extra 10 schools before supp fees and then if you want to go to interviews or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Canadian student from the University of Toronto

Degree completed in June 2016

Bachelors: General Biology and Psychology

GPA: overall 3.75, upward trend with 4.0 in my last year, first year was a 3.14, my science GPA should be around the same, I do plan to complete physics in the upcoming year

120+ Dental shadowing hours: with a general dentist

456+ Volunteer hours: student clubs, international volunteering, volunteer coordinator, hospitals

1480+ Research hours: research award, independent projects, research assistant

3842+ Work hours: city of Toronto job, marketing at science tutoring company, science tutor

Awards, honors, and scholarships: 3 scholarships, 2 awards, dean’s list in all years

LOR: 2 science professors: chemistry and neuroscience (chemistry professor compared to my other referees I don't thoroughly know but I did really well in the class, neuroscience professor A+ in course and she knows me well), 1 non science professor: intensive research supervisor/mentor for 3+ years, and 1 DMD: supervisor for 4+ years (he is the co-director for one of the volunteer and paid-positions I’ve been with + my mentor)

DAT score:

AA: 20

TS: 21

PAT: 21

RC: 19

QR: 16 (..le sigh…)

School list:

USC

HOW

NSC

IND

UDM

MICH

NYU

BUF

CASE

TEMP

PTT

Which schools should I consider adding or removing? Also is it recommended for me to re-take my DAT considering my poor score in QR? As a Canadian I am a bit unsure where I actually stand so any advice is helpful!

Thank you XO

GPA: overall 3.75, upward trend with 4.0 in my last year, first year was a 3.14, my science GPA should be around the same, I do plan to complete physics in the upcoming year

456+ Volunteer hours: student clubs, international volunteering, volunteer coordinator, hospitals

3842+ Work hours: city of Toronto job, marketing at science tutoring company, science tutor

Awards, honors, and scholarships: 3 scholarships, 2 awards, dean’s list in all years

LOR: 2 science professors: chemistry and neuroscience (chemistry professor compared to my other referees I don't thoroughly know but I did really well in the class, neuroscience professor A+ in course and she knows me well), 1 non science professor: intensive research supervisor/mentor for 3+ years, and 1 DMD: supervisor for 4+ years (he is the co-director for one of the volunteer and paid-positions I’ve been with + my mentor)

DAT score:

School list:

USC

HOW

NSC

IND

UDM

MICH

NYU

BUF

CASE

TEMP

PTT

Which schools should I consider adding or removing? Also is it recommended for me to re-take my DAT considering my poor score in QR? As a Canadian I am a bit unsure where I actually stand so any advice is helpful!

Thank you XO

Your stats are solid. But being a Canadian will mean you will have to compete with other strong candidates from Canada. The state schools take very few people from Canada(buf, mich, ind, Pitt) so you have the best shot at the privates. You should include BU.

When I say very few, it's like 1-2. Buf took 4 in 2013.

Hey guys, I had previously posted my stats and now have kind of finalized a school list. Could you guys please let me know what my chances are for these schools and which schools I should remove. Here are my stats for a refresher:

DAT: 22AA, 21TS, 22RC, 19PAT (canadian DAT)

School list:
Loma linda

Uconn

Nova southeastern

University of new England

University of Maryland

Boston university

Harvard

Udm

University of Michigan

University of Minnesota

Creighton university

Columbia

NYU

Touro

University of buffalo

Case western university

Temple university

UPenn

University of Pittsburgh

Meharry

Texas a&m

University of texas

Hey guys, I had previously posted my stats and now have kind of finalized a school list. Could you guys please let me know what my chances are for these schools and which schools I should remove. Here are my stats for a refresher:

DAT: 22AA, 21TS, 22RC, 19PAT (canadian DAT)

School list:
Loma linda

Uconn

Nova southeastern

University of new England

University of Maryland

Boston university

Harvard

Udm

University of Michigan

University of Minnesota

Creighton university

Columbia

NYU

Touro

University of buffalo

Case western university

Temple university

UPenn

University of Pittsburgh

Meharry

Texas a&m

University of texas

Take out Texas schools, meharry (unless you are AA), and Loma Linda. Add USC

DAT score:

School list:

USC

HOW

NSC

IND

UDM

MICH

NYU

BUF

CASE

TEMP

PTT

Thank you XO
Minnesota for sure! I know quite a few Canadian dental students there.

Hey everyone,
I need help narrowing down my list of schools (I have it down to 30 so far). Originally I was going to apply to 15 especially because I thought that dental schools could see where you're applying and too many schools may seem like a turn-off. But going by posts on SDN, it seems that this is not the case (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is also a chance me thread I guess! Thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone.

My apologies for making a separate thread for this earlier; I thought because my post is a combination of "Chance Me" and "Narrow Schools Down" I should make a separate thread haha. But now that I look at this thread it's being used for both. Please feel free to reply to me here or on the other thread; I would immensely appreciate any help/feedback/constructive criticism. :) Good luck to you all as well :) Hoping some of you are my future classmates :soexcited:

My stats:
cGPA 3.67, sGPA: 3.58, non-science GPA 3.92, BCP GPA 3.44

I'm expecting my BCP GPA to be at least 3.52 after the Academic Update just based off my summer courses; with my fall courses added in it will likely be more). After the Academic Update, I'm expecting all of my GPAs listed above to increase minus perhaps the non-science GPA as I'm not planning to take any more non-science courses.

1. Midwestern University (Arizona)
2. Midwestern University (IL)
3. Tufts University
4. LECOM
5. New York University
6. Howard University
7. Southern Illinois University
8. Marquette University
9. University of Illinois at Chicago
10. Boston University
11. Temple University
12. University of Louisville
13. Roseman
14. Creighton
15. Touro
16. SUNY Buffalo
17. Ohio State
18. UMKC
19. Western University
20. USC
21. Nova
22. Iowa
23. University of New England
24. Michigan
25. UNLV
26 Case Western
27. Oregon
28. Penn
29. Tennessee
30. VA Commonwealth

Last edited:
I updated my list a bit.
Should I apply to any of these as reach schools?
Penn
University of Pacific
Columbia
UCSF
GPA: ~3.43 oGPA, ~3.28 sGPA linearish trend, rising a bit at the end.
DAT: 21AA, 21TS, 20QR, 20RC, 22PAT
Shadowing: 200 hrs
Volunteering: 300+ hrs
About half of credits are from community college
URM
I have some money saved up so I can do about 25 schools.
School list:

1. Arizona school of dentistry and oral health

2. Roseman

3. Meharry

4. western university of health sciences college of dental medicine

5. university of colorado school of dental medicine

6. LECOM

7. howard university college of dentistry

8. midwestern university college of dental medicine Arizona

9. midwestern university college of dental medicine Illinois

10.university of louisville school of dentistry

11.Dugoni School of Dentistry

12.Maryland

13.nyu dental school

14.case western reserve university school of dental medicine

15. University of Florida

16.NOVA

I updated my list a bit.
Should I apply to any of these as reach schools?
Penn
University of Pacific
Columbia
UCSF
GPA: ~3.43 oGPA, ~3.28 sGPA linearish trend, rising a bit at the end.
DAT: 21AA, 21TS, 20QR, 20RC, 22PAT
Shadowing: 200 hrs
Volunteering: 300+ hrs
About half of credits are from community college
URM
I have some money saved up so I can do about 25 schools.
School list:

1. Arizona school of dentistry and oral health

2. Roseman

3. Meharry

4. western university of health sciences college of dental medicine

5. university of colorado school of dental medicine

6. LECOM

7. howard university college of dentistry

8. midwestern university college of dental medicine Arizona

9. midwestern university college of dental medicine Illinois

10.university of louisville school of dentistry

11.Dugoni School of Dentistry

12.Maryland

13.nyu dental school

14.case western reserve university school of dental medicine

15. University of Florida

16.NOVA
From what I've read on SDN, ASDOH likes at least 500+ hours of community service.

Last edited:
From what I've read on SDN, ASDOH likes at least 500+ hours of community service.

I mean your 300+ hours isn't bad but probably not enough for them.

Good to know, any idea what I should replace it with? I was thinking of either University of Nevada or University of New England but not sure which would be better.

Those are good replacements. Either is fine. I have similar stats to you and am applying to both.

Hey everyone,
I need help narrowing down my list of schools (I have it down to 30 so far). Originally I was going to apply to 15 especially because I thought that dental schools could see where you're applying and too many schools may seem like a turn-off. But going by posts on SDN, it seems that this is not the case (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is also a chance me thread I guess! Thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone.

My apologies for making a separate thread for this earlier; I thought because my post is a combination of "Chance Me" and "Narrow Schools Down" I should make a separate thread haha. But now that I look at this thread it's being used for both. Please feel free to reply to me here or on the other thread; I would immensely appreciate any help/feedback/constructive criticism. :) Good luck to you all as well :) Hoping some of you are my future classmates :soexcited:

My stats:
cGPA 3.67, sGPA: 3.58, non-science GPA 3.92, BCP GPA 3.44
Haven't taken the DAT yet (I will in July), but I'm hoping to get AT LEAST a 19 or 20. Prayers appreciated haha. If you're chancing me please assume I have either a 19 AA or 20 AA
I have good ECs. Vice-President of a STEM club, research experience at a dental school (no publications though), active ASDA member (attended NLC and have blogged for ASDA), 500 hours of shadowing, volunteer and dental assisting experience at parent's practice, attended many academic enrichment programs including University of Minnesota Dental School Prep Course, member of Pre-Dental club, Service & Leadership award from my university, Dean's List, member of multiple academic honors societies, won a first place medal in a Dental Science competition in high school, Honors College member, and more.

I'm expecting my BCP GPA to be at least 3.52 after the Academic Update just based off my summer courses; with my fall courses added in it will likely be more). After the Academic Update, I'm expecting all of my GPAs listed above to increase minus perhaps the non-science GPA as I'm not planning to take any more non-science courses.

1. Midwestern University (Arizona)
2. Midwestern University (IL)
3. Tufts University
4. LECOM
5. New York University
6. Howard University
7. Southern Illinois University
8. Marquette University
9. University of Illinois at Chicago
10. Boston University
11. Temple University
12. University of Louisville
13. Roseman
14. Creighton
15. Touro
16. SUNY Buffalo
17. Ohio State
18. UMKC
19. Western University
20. USC
21. Nova
22. Iowa
23. University of New England
24. Michigan
25. UNLV
26 Case Western
27. Oregon
28. Penn
29. Tennessee
30. VA Commonwealth

Penn will be dependent on your DAT score. Take out Howard unless URM. IF you score a 20AA, then the rest if really up to you since you have the EC's and GPA. At that point, research the schools and their curriculum, etc to see if it's a match for you so you can narrow down to ~15 schools. 20AA and 3.5+ GPA should yield some interviews. Good luck!

Edit: One more thing, if all those hours of assisting and shadowing were from your parent's practice, that might be an issue. I hope you shadowed other dentists.

Last edited:
Hey guys please give me some advice on my application. I'd like to apply to around 15 schools because I'm not feeling too confident in my stats. If you have any insight into which schools I should consider adding or dropping, please let me know.

GPA: cGPA-3.29/BCP-3.32/sGPA-3.18 (Upward trend. Started at 2.9 ended at 3.6)
DAT: AA-20 TS-20 BIO-23 RC-22 GC-19 OR-20 PAT-19 QR-18
Ethnicity-Asian

Dental Experience:348 hours of shadowing/volunteering
The last dental clinic I was volunteering at was a FQHC serves the medically under-served people in my community through 3 large dental clinics. I worked at the main clinc. It also happened to be a clinical rotation site for 4th year UMICH and UDM dental students. The students have given me pretty useful tips in terms of interviews and what they might be looking for. After two months of volunteering they offered me a position as a dental assistant which I am still employed presently. The director of dentistry has offered to write me a strong letter of recommendation. Another dentist who taught at UMICH dental school and supervises the dental students has offered to write me another letter. I am depending on this experience and the recommendations to help me land an interview somewhere.
I have a 3rd letter of recommendation from a private dentist who might join the UDM faculty. I know I don't need three letters from 3 dentists, not sure which letters to use.

Volunteer/EC: I have around 200 volunteer hours from 3 different hospitals. I was a member of the student literacy corps and was a volunteer tutor for at risk elementary-age students. I was the fund-raising chair for HASA (Hmong American Student Association). I'm not Hmong, but I have a lot of friends that are, so I joined.

Work: While in school I was working as a Emergency Medical Scribe. I was responsible for the attending ED physician's medical-legal documentation for all patient encounters. I tracked diagnostic test results and alerted the physician to any critical results (ex: elevated bacteria/WBC in urinalysis rule out UTI or elevated cardiac enzymes noted, start cardiac protocol). This was an intense experience. I know it's suited for medical school, but I feel it is still relevant for my dental application.

Overall I'm right at the edge of feeling like I could get in and feeling like my stats are too low.
Dental schools I'm applying to (please advise):
1.UMICH
2. UDM
3. Midwestern-Downers Grove
4. Midwestern-AZ
5. Tufts
6. Boston U
7. NYU
8. UMN
10. Case
11. Indiana
12. Roseman
13. Western.
14. UNLV
15. USC

Maryland? Oregon? Temple? AZDOH? I've considered these schools too, but I've been told I don't have enough volunteer hours for AZDOH. Oregon isn't OOS friendly.
Which schools should I add or drop? What are my chances? Help me out please!

No to ASDOH unless you have near 500+ volunteer hours. I wouldn't use all those LOR's because you are pretty much required 2 science prof LOR's + 1 Dentist +1 other. That should cover for most schools.

GPA: 3.93 oGPA, 3.95 sGPA
DAT: 25AA, 23TS, 25RC, 28PAT, nothing under 17
Shadowing: 130 hrs
Volunteering: 70-80 hrs
Work: chemistry tutor, orientation leader for 2 years

here's my list so far:

1-3. All 3 Texas Schools
4. University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry
5. University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
6. Harvard School of Dental Medicine
7. University of Michigan School of Dentistry
8. University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry
9. University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry
10. Louisiana State University School of Dentistry (is this in-state only?)

The cost of attendance is going to be my biggest factor in deciding schools. If you guys have any recommendations on where I could apply please let me know. I'm not trying to apply to more than 15

Thank you :)

You don't need to apply to 15 schools. Those stats can apply anywhere. Relax and just look at schools you really want to attend.

Wasn't gonna do one of these but now that I'm thinking about applying more broadly, I could use some suggestions on what schools to add or take out!!

GPA: 3.43 oGPA, 3.20 sGPA (Taking some accounting classes in the summer, Anatomy and Medical Terminology in Fall, hoping to boost GPA for Dec update)
DAT: 19AA, 18TS, 21RC, 22PAT, nothing under 17
Shadowing: 350 hrs
Volunteering: 1800+ hrs
Research: Like 1 quarter of SORT OF research but really, none.
Work: ESL Teacher, Secretary (~6 yrs)
Reapplicant from last year (2015-2016 Cycle)

Schools: (* = interview from last year, waitlisted)
UCSF*
Western*
UCLA
USC*
ASDOH
MWU AZ
MWU IL
Colorado
Rutgers
UNLV
OHSU
Meharry
Roseman

Would like to avoid CC-unfriendly schools such as Tufts b/c my pre-reqs were taken at a CC. y_y

I'd appreciate any and all advice n_n

Last edited:
:( So, I just finished the DAT (an hour ago).
PAT 18
RC 16
Bio 20
GC 17
OC 18
TS 18
AA17
:unsure:QR... 13 (I ran out of time. I have always been slow at math, even if I know how to solve.. I had 5 mins left to answer 18 questions. So, I guess them all.) I'm not saying that it's fine, but I know someone that got accepted last year with a 12QR. So, I'm hopeful. That's why I want help editing my list to maximize changes.

Bio major. Studio Art minor
sGPA 3.70 GPA 3.70
college maths B+ (precal, cal, stats)
Shadowing 120hrs (2 General, ortho, perio, pedo)
Volunteering 280 hrs (current volunteer for Red Cross, CT MOM free dental clinic, an animal shelter, and a park)
Research 460 hrs
Work 4000+ (all semesters) pharmacy tech
Founder of my school pre-health society
State: CT
Prerequisites completed in CC (except Orgo)
GPA in 4-year school is even higher than CC GPA

Schools applying to
(Submitting between today and tomorrow)

Columbia
UCONN
NYU
Meharry
UNE
Case
Buffalo
W Va
Penn
Temple
Maryland
Rutgers
Touro
Kentucky

Which schools should I add or take out? (without including Columbia. I know it doesn't match my stats, but that's my dream school.)
:(:unsure:

Don't be panic. Tell them you are gonna retake your DAT on September. Meanwhile, your application will be on hold.

Don't be panic. Tell them you are gonna retake your DAT on September. Meanwhile, your application will be on hold.
:bag:I was planning on no retaking unless I get conditionally accepted and asked to retake and get higher than X or don't get accepted at all. In the last situation, I would retake and reapply. But, idk. o_O Too shocked to think

Your 17AA will pretty much be tossed out before interviews, let alone conditionally accepted. I would schedule a retake ASAP.

Columbia penn Rutgers uconn buffalo Maryland might screen you out if you don't tell them you are aiming for a retake.