Post-interview notes from program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRRF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year...
Which programs have sent unsolicited thank yous or love letters to applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

This happens? Seriously?

I thought it was a match violation.

Members don't see this ad :)
This happens? Seriously?

I thought it was a match violation.
You can volunteer any information you want, and so can the programs. The match violation is to ask the other side to tell you stuff. Programs can send as many love letters as they want.

USC always sends some.

You can volunteer any information you want, and so can the programs. The match violation is to ask the other side to tell you stuff. Programs can send as many love letters as they want.

USC always sends some.
Also slightly incorrect. You can offer any information you want and ask any question you want. As can the program. What they can't do is say something like "we'll rank you in the Top X of our list but only if you rank us #1."

Also slightly incorrect. You can offer any information you want and ask any question you want. As can the program. What they can't do is say something like "we'll rank you in the Top X of our list but only if you rank us #1."
Ahem

6.0 Restrictions on Persuasion
One of the purposes of the Main Residency Match is to allow both applicants and
programs to make selection decisions on a uniform schedule and without coercion or
undue or unwarranted pressure. Both applicants and programs may express their
interest in each other; however, they shall not solicit verbal or written statements
implying a commitment. Applicants shall at all times be free to keep confidential the
names or identities of programs to which they have or may apply. The NRMP
recommends that each program director and applicant read carefully the Match
Communication Code of Conduct for information on acceptable methods of interaction
during the interview and matching processes.
In addition, it is a breach of this Agreement for:
(a) a program to request applicants to reveal ranking preferences; or

(b) an applicant to suggest or inform a program that placement on a rank
order list or acceptance of an offer during SOAP is contingent upon
submission of a verbal or written statement indicating the program’s
preference; or
(c) a program to suggest or inform an applicant that placement on a rank
order list or a SOAP preference list is contingent upon submission of a
verbal or written statement indicating the applicant’s preference; or
(d) a program to require applicants to reveal the names or identities of
programs to which they have or may apply; or
(e) a program and an applicant in the Main Residency Match to make
any verbal or written contract for appointment to a concurrent year
residency or fellowship position prior to the release of the List of Unfilled
Programs.
Only the final preferences of programs and applicants, as expressed on their final
certified rank order lists or by offers extended and accepted through SOAP, will
determine the offering of positions and the placement of applicants through the
Main Residency Match

From http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2015-MPA-Applicants-and-Programs.pdf

do programs that send out letters post-interview send to all applicants of just some?

To reply to the OPs question... I have received a letter from harbor ucla'S PD. However I believe this was a common letter to all interviewees. Was sent 2 days after my interview as an eras message.

I am not aware of any program that sends letters to all the applicants they interview. Some PDs will send a letter (with a handwritten personal note) to those students they intend to rank high. The handwritten note will usually let you read "between the lines" = You are in if you want in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, I've gotten an e-mail from a PD saying "we thought you would be a great fit and have ranked you very highly" in response to a thank you email, and then an out of the blue email from a PD just to say "they would love to have me at ____", but no actual "ranked to match" words. Who knows--it's way more confusing to interpret these e-mails than to just not give them any weight haha.

Eh, I've gotten an e-mail from a PD saying "we thought you would be a great fit and have ranked you very highly" in response to a thank you email, and then an out of the blue email from a PD just to say "they would love to have me at ____", but no actual "ranked to match" words. Who knows--it's way more confusing to interpret these e-mails than to just not give them any weight haha.

Haha this is so true. Honestly I would rather programs send me nothing at all after the interview than to get a few positive-ish sounding emails that don't really say much but almost seem to be trying to. It won't affect how I rank but still its impossible not to try and gauge your chances at a place based off of these

It won't affect how I rank but still its impossible not to try and gauge your chances at a place based off of these
Its impossible not to try and gauge your chance at a place even when they don't send the note, everyone's screwed on that front either way.

I have a tangentially related question.

For a program that says straight up that they don't engage in any form of post-interview communication (and actually discourage it coming from us), can I still send the PD an email saying that I'm going to be ranking them #1, or will it be looked on poorly because we were told to not engage in "communication that can be misleading..." (and then proceeds to quote the consensus statement etc etc)?

For a program that says straight up that they don't engage in any form of post-interview communication (and actually discourage it coming from us), can I still send the PD an email saying that I'm going to be ranking them #1, or will it be looked on poorly because we were told to not engage in "communication that can be misleading..." (and then proceeds to quote the consensus statement etc etc)?

I'm not sure if it helps at all - I think programs this year (and in recent years too I'd imagine) are being even more careful with what they say to avoid match violations.

Last edited:

so what's everyone's thoughts on this? Especially if #1 program.

anyone hear from unc? thought the pd mentioned theyd notify us if we were in a good position via email around the beginning of February (however, i interviewed months ago so I may be mixing up programs)

anyone hear from unc? thought the pd mentioned theyd notify us if we were in a good position via email around the beginning of February (however, i interviewed months ago so I may be mixing up programs)

I don't actually remember them saying that but if it makes you feel better I haven't gotten any emails about my position. The only thing is the ERAS message explaining the "updates" of their program

anyone hear from the Brigham or MGH?

I don't remember this either and haven't gotten anything.

Ive gotten a couple unsolicited messages from some programs (wisconsin, mayo, wash u), but nothing close to an explicit "we have ranked you to match".

Ive gotten a couple unsolicited messages from some programs (wisconsin, mayo, wash u), but nothing close to an explicit "we have ranked you to match".

was the message from wisconsin the generic "thank you for interviewing" or did you get other emails?

was the message from wisconsin the generic "thank you for interviewing" or did you get other emails?

It was a phone call. More along the lines of " thought you were an outstanding applicant, would love to see you here...etc".

Did anyone get a post interview note from Nebraska? I got one from the PD, just not sure if it was generic or not. It had a personalized first paragraph and an obviously pre made 2/3rd paragraphs. I'm very interested in Nebraska so just want to gauge if it meant anything potentially or not. Thanks!

I sent my #1 an email telling them that they are number one on my list and they responded that if I wanted to go there it was a win-win as they have me ranked where I am sure to match (near exact phrasing). The response also included "looking forward to seeing you in June." This doesn't just happen right? They wouldn't go that far to tell me these things if it wasn't true? I am just trying to get a head start on potential living arrangements if I can believe what I read. Can you believe the "ranked to match" email?

I sent my #1 an email telling them that they are number one on my list and they responded that if I wanted to go there it was a win-win as they have me ranked where I am sure to match (near exact phrasing). The response also included "looking forward to seeing you in June." This doesn't just happen right? They wouldn't go that far to tell me these things if it wasn't true? I am just trying to get a head start on potential living arrangements if I can believe what I read. Can you believe the "ranked to match" email?

It's a great sign, but realize that nothing is set in stone until March. The response you're gonna get here on SDN is that programs can say whatever they want. It wouldn't be the first time someone was told they would match and didn't, and probably wouldn't be the last. I think that is spot on. As someone who also received a call from his #1, I'd recommend you be excited but slightly apprehensive (that's what I'm doing, at least)

I think I would faint from happiness if my #1 sent me a reply like that; or even replied at all :(

Nothing like SDN to make you realize how not special you really are...

Nothing like SDN to stoke the neuroticism of people who should know better by now.

Very true. But hey, at least we don't have a spreadsheet like I have seen in some of the other specialty forums. I suppose things could always be worse..

Messages are not a violation, but the dick picks that hopkins keeps sending me are clearly harrassment and I'm getting a lawyer!!

That wasn't feom Hopkins. That was from me.

Reactions: 1 users
Note that a few years ago MGH told people they were ranked to match and those people didn't match.

Year to year how far a place goes down on the match list changes so take ranked to match emails with a grain of salt

Reactions: 1 user
Note that a few years ago MGH told people they were ranked to match and those people didn't match.

Year to year how far a place goes down on the match list changes so take ranked to match emails with a grain of salt

Man, I didn't realize "ranked to match" was a fluid term. I thought it was more concrete like a program has 30 spots so their top 30 are considered "ranked to match". I realize that programs fall lower than that to fill spots but just figured the term wouldn't be used so loosely

Man, I didn't realize "ranked to match" was a fluid term. I thought it was more concrete like a program has 30 spots so their top 30 are considered "ranked to match". I realize that programs fall lower than that to fill spots but just figured the term wouldn't be used so loosely
The term itself is not fluid at all however many programs misuse the phrase to mean different things. This is why you should assume that any post-interview, pre-Match communication is somewhere on the spectrum of "little white lie" to "complete bulls**t crafted specifically to mislead you".

Reactions: 1 users
And if you don't get that little message it doesn't mean you aren't ranked to match. It may just mean that a program doesn't want to play the game anymore

anyone receive unsolicited note from UCSF besides APD non-specific thanks & inquiry for questions couple weeks ago? have applicants matched there without a 'we love you' note from PD?

Only unsolicited communication for me has come in the form of snail mail from Northwestern, UVA, Hopkins Bayview. All of those were a few weeks after the interview. No unsolicited phone calls nor e-mails.

Overall quieter than I originally thought based on a friend of mine with a similar application who went into Med-Peds prior to our 2015 match year.

This thread is good for curiosity and bad for neuroticism. Regardless, everyone remember to rank them how you like them. Love letters are nice and all, but they mean nothing for what you want.

Almost to rank deadline, best of luck!

These things are nice to know but shouldnt change your rank list. Good Luck everyone.

Similar to A.
Snail mail with nice things like "would fit very well here" "very impressed" from NW and Michigan, email from Stanford, Hopkins Bayview, and personalized ERAS message from Penn.
And then rank to match call from Brigham and rank to match email from Cornell.
I'm still ranking exactly how I want them
Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I received some nice unsolicited notes from Cornell, Stanford, UPMC, BID, and Duke. Mostly generic, but it felt nice to receive them nonetheless. I was told that UCSF "reached out" to a letter writer, whatever that means. None of this changed my rank list, and more than anything they stoked my neurotic fires.

For a second there I thought you got mail from aProgDirector.

For a second, so did I.

You are all obsessing over this, when most of it is meaningless. If you haven't heard from a program and then you find out someone else has, that's only going to make you feel miserable.

Similar to A.
Snail mail with nice things like "would fit very well here" "very impressed" from NW and Michigan, email from Stanford, Hopkins Bayview, and personalized ERAS message from Penn.
And then rank to match call from Brigham and rank to match email from Cornell.
I'm still ranking exactly how I want them
Good luck everyone.
beast mode.