Post grad nonclinical medicine options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pluto674

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year vet student and I dread every aspect of what we do in clinics. I can't see myself staying in this profession post grad- I honestly cannot wait to graduate and just be done and get out of it. I'm feeling a bit lost as to what my job prospects would be though..Does anyone have any suggestions of nonclinical medicine options for a DVM post grad?

Members don't see this ad.

There are clinical based medicine careers that aren't client orientated, such as lab animal or zoo animal (though they have their own individual challenges). Animal welfare auditing is something I strongly considered but don't have the capability to travel. Government positions are also a great avenue to use your degree.

I'll also say clinical year is *nothing* like being an actual doctor in clinical practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fourth year is something to be endured (like most of vet school, really) and nothing more.

What part of clinics do you not like? Clinics and practice aren’t necessarily the same. Though practice isn’t for everyone either so I get it. But before you throw in the towel it might be worth talking through it with people who are in practice outside the ivory towers.

Reactions: 2 users
Government work is the big one I can think of. Two of my previous coworkers are with the FDA, but there are other sectors that you might work in. @britzen @kaydubs @Teepster87 would likely have additional input. It may be more difficult without any previous interest or connections, though. Have you considered just not doing any veterinary work at all? What are the things you dread about clinics?

Reactions: 1 user
I’m with USDA APHIS in Animal Care. I enjoy regulatory medicine very much.
Sorry to hijack the thread. But, I’m really interested in your career. It’s hard for me to find info online but I know (or at least I seriously believe) I would love to go into public health. Care to share what a day in the life looks like for you? Pros and cons of the career?:)

Sorry to hijack the thread. But, I’m really interested in your career. It’s hard for me to find info online but I know (or at least I seriously believe) I would love to go into public health. Care to share what a day in the life looks like for you? Pros and cons of the career?:)
In an effort to not derail the thread, I’m happy to PM you.

Reactions: 1 users
There are 4 basic "bundles" of work for veterinarians: Clinical work, government, industry, and academia. Each of those have multiple areas.......For instance, clinical work includes public clinics, but also shelters, research facilities/labs, and wildlife. Industry includes working for any veterinary-medicine adjacent area, such as pharmaceuticals, food, equipment, etc. Academia includes not just vet schools, but schools for technicians, and even teaching some adult education classes in general science or animal specific areas. Government is, well, government, but that could be anywhere from city to federal level.

In an effort to not derail the thread, I’m happy to PM you.
Would it be possible for me to get this information as well? I’ve been pretty curious about other avenues.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m with USDA APHIS in Animal Care. I enjoy regulatory medicine very much.
Hey Kaydubs! Actually could you maybe make another thread and do an AMA kinda thing? Maybe start with a post describing how you got into it and your experiences with it? I think it’s such good info it would be great to have it out there rather than just quietly in PMs :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey there, definitely consider government or industry work. I've accepted that I'd probably never be happy in a clinic every day so I just... don't do that.

I've personally convinced two or three people to apply to jobs with APHIS, and can pm info about how to sign up for clinical year experiences if they want it.

If you are willing to move anywhere for your first job, you can definitely get your foot in the door. I helped someone with no regulatory experience retool their resume recently, and she got 6 interviews in 3 months.

Reactions: 2 users