New grad Interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nigripes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the beginning stage of interviews for my first vet job. One of the places has requested that I put together a presentation on my goals in the first 100 days. Practice is primarily a SA practice with some exotic work. I have never been to the practice and do not know anyone that works there. I am confident in presenting, but as a new grad there is only so much I can do when I don't have any idea of how busy they are or what sort of surgeries besides castrations/ spays. Any ideas of what I can present?

So far I have, conducting consults on my own. I have been an ACA/VCA for two years and have done solo discharges and intakes, plus vaccines, puppy first checks solo, also when on an externship. I can work up a dermatology case and can do bloods for rechecks no problem. I have good client communication skills, I do need to increase my surgical experience/ confidence and enjoy dentals. I also place on meeting with my designated mentor at least once a month for check-ins and see how things are going. Any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

So, take this with a grain of salt since I'm almost 3 years out.
One of the places has requested that I put together a presentation on my goals in the first 100 days.
When they say a presentation, do they mean like you stand in front of them and give a presentation like in school? Maybe it's me, but that's odd/weird. I can totally see having a peer-to-peer discussion about what your goals are and how they can help you reach those goals. But I honestly would wing this. I would not have put in the effort to do a full on presentation when I had 11 other interviews to prepare for.
I don't have any idea of how busy they are or what sort of surgeries besides castrations/ spays.
Ask. Email/call them and ask for numbers and what their general surgical load is like. It will better prepare you for the conversation. Especially ask what the expectation is for walk-ins, emergencies, and non-surgical procedures (unblocking a FLUTD tom for example).
I do need to increase my surgical experience/ confidence and enjoy dentals.
Fight for this!! I wish I had gotten more surgical experience my first year out and now I'm only comfortable with gastrotomies and enterotomies. I haven't done a spay in over a year and now I'm kind of wary of them.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, this is a kind of weird request and unless there's some really strong reason you're extremely interested in that particular practice, I'd also just wing it lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hi,
First thank you all for replying. This is an independent practice and the presentation would be via Teams. I am going with a PPT. They haven't hired in awhile and I think this is an attempt to put the effort on the applicant wanting the job and how bad, instead of why I should want to work for them because they are X, Y and Z... I am not wanting to spend a lot of time on this because I already have finals and a last project to finish up. It is giong to be general but maybe with a few nice pics. I do want the job because of the size of the practice and it's SA and exotics. The staff size is what I am looking for and they have several years out qualified nurses.