Post-Bac Average GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem3033

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am currently a senior economics major (pre-med). My avg GPA is 3.56 and Science GPA is 3.52. MCAT is a 519.

I am interested in a postbac program to boost up my GPA up. I was wondering if my stats make me at all eligible to apply to postbac programs, and what GPA most applicants that get in usually have.

I thought I might add I am an author (although not 1st) on 3 separate papers, have hundreds of hours of volunteer experience, have over 100 hours shadowing a variety of specialties, and have held multiple leadership roles over the years.

Any advice at all is GREATLY appreciated as I know my GPA sucks.

Please let me know if it is the end of the road for me yet for med school or not. I need honest answers

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest I don't think you need a post-bacc. Your GPA is decent enough especially when combined with your stellar MCAT and decent ECs. If I were you I would take a year working as a scribe or some other sort of clinical position and apply this coming cycle. If you apply broadly you have a great chance to get in somewhere

To add to this - post baccs are very high risk/high reward. If you don't have a really good post bacc GPA (3.7+) it will be seen by schools as a strong negative and may really limit your chances. No reason for you to take that risk since your GPA is good enough to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you, I'd apply with what you've got. For mid & low-tier MD schools it sounds like a strong app. If you're shooting for T20s then yeah you definitely need some GPA repair.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely focus on getting more clinical, volunteer/service and/or research experience to bolster your application. Your academics are strong. Maybe take one or two classes during your gap year to prep you for school but nothing more than that. To answer your question though, any post bac program will accept you so don’t be concerned about that.

Hi!

I am currently a senior economics major (pre-med). My avg GPA is 3.56 and Science GPA is 3.52. MCAT is a 519.

I am interested in a postbac program to boost up my GPA up. I was wondering if my stats make me at all eligible to apply to postbac programs, and what GPA most applicants that get in usually have.

I thought I might add I am an author (although not 1st) on 3 separate papers, have hundreds of hours of volunteer experience, have over 100 hours shadowing a variety of specialties, and have held multiple leadership roles over the years.

Please let me know if it is the end of the road for me yet for med school or not. I need honest answers
You don't need a post bac, just good ECs and a good school list.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I also don't think that you need post-bac, especially with that awesome MCAT score. But I think you are eligible in applying to postbacs. Your GPA is certainly much higher than those in my post-bacc. Most people in my postbacs are between 3.0 to 3.3.

So glad everyone here is being frank about the reality of OPs GPA.

Maybe he thinks it sucks because he doesn't consider the appropriate school list very appealing.

OP: GPA Trend? What schools are you hoping for? Is that your first and only MCAT score? I wish I was in your position :)

Status
Not open for further replies.