possibly a stupd question for Dr.Oliver and any other plastics residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christiangirl

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much artistic ability is really necessary to excel in plastics? In other words, are the only people who would succeed people who can draw, paint, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

technical artistic talent is over rated. You do need to develop imagination & vision in your head for a lot of procedures though

Members don't see this ad :)
So, just because I am not some awesome artist, does not mean that I will not do well?

I really love the field and feel I have the personality for it. I am meeting with a plastic surgeon in the near future and will shadow. But I am scared that I would not be good because I am not some elite artist. I can draw straight lines and stick figures, but I am no Monet.

Also, can anyone give advice on what would make an applicant successful to one of the integrated programs? They are 5 years, right? (Sorry for my ignorance. I really tried to quelch my passion because I was afraid my lack of artistry would be an impediment.) And how do you find out where they are (Iserson?). However, what else matters besides LOR? Do you need plastic surg specific research? I did research in another surgical subspeciality and will likely have a 1st author pub and present my research at a national meeting. Where can you find a list of matched/unmatched board scores?

Thanks!