PT license with PhD rather than DPT possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ken.w

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm interested in being able to treat patients in clinic as well as doing PT-related research to expand the toolkit that clinicians can use (I have a relatively strong research background). I have been considering a DPT degree but the expense is a pretty big factor, while most PhD programs are funded. Another factor is that DPT programs seem to have very limited training, if at all, in research.

I looked up some information online, and it seems that the requirements for PT licenses vary slightly by state, but most require some graduate level education in physical therapy specifically (see attached PDF). But I believe that I have also seen faculty that have a PhD be a licensed PT.

My questions are:
1. To what extent is it possible for one to get a PhD in a related field (say, movement science/rehabilitation science) and obtain a PT license by passing the NPTE?
2. Any advice on choosing either PhD or DPT programs?
3. Recommendations on specific DPT programs that are well integrated with the university's research labs or PhD programs with a substantial clinical focus? This is where I really hope to get current DPT students'/DPTs' opinions and my apologies if I posted in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ptchart.pdf
    256.5 KB · Views: 72
Passing the NPTE is one part of getting licensed, graduating from an CAPTE accredited PT program is another. A PhD will NOT meet that criteria. They are drastically different degrees. You can do research as a PT (though chances of being a fully independent investigator are very slim). You can do clinical research as a PhD but you cannot treat patients. Most PhDs doing rehab research have a PT/OT working for them who administers clinical assessments and any treatment.

If you want to do research, go for a PhD in rehab sciences or related field. If you want to treat patients, you'll need the DPT. There are some joint DPT/PhD programs out there, that at least fund the PhD part, some also will fund the PhD as well. If you want the DPT and see yourself doing research, look for a DPT program that has a research component to it. Investigate this carefully, many advertise research and it is doing systematic reviews, not hands on data collection.

Reactions: 1 user
Passing the NPTE is one part of getting licensed, graduating from an CAPTE accredited PT program is another. A PhD will NOT meet that criteria. They are drastically different degrees. You can do research as a PT (though chances of being a fully independent investigator are very slim). You can do clinical research as a PhD but you cannot treat patients. Most PhDs doing rehab research have a PT/OT working for them who administers clinical assessments and any treatment.

If you want to do research, go for a PhD in rehab sciences or related field. If you want to treat patients, you'll need the DPT. There are some joint DPT/PhD programs out there, that at least fund the PhD part, some also will fund the PhD as well. If you want the DPT and see yourself doing research, look for a DPT program that has a research component to it. Investigate this carefully, many advertise research and it is doing systematic reviews, not hands on data collection.

Thank you for the reply! Upon a closer look, one faulty I had in mind who was a PhD/PT did have a master's in PT.

Your point about the difference between systematic reviews and research with hands-on data collection and analysis is very well taken.