Polycystic Ovarian syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

issacn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody dexcribe to me what is the etiology of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Why does high levels of estron will inhibit the maturation of follicles in the ovaries and cause anovulation in female?
What is the difference between cyclic and acyclic production of estrogen?
Why peripheral conversion of androgen, especially in the adipose tissues, always converts androgen to eston instead of estradiol?

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately i'm studying endo at this time so can't give you an answer...by the way do you mean estrin instead of estron...there is no "estron" in stedman's...but, i did find a review article on the subject, it's a review article on polycystic ovaries in the New England Journal of Medicine, Sept. 28,1995, Vol. 333, No. 13....please do me the favor of posting what you find...i need all the help i can get!...be well...avi

I am sorry that I made a mistake in my previous posting. The word estron is actually estrone. I am sure that it is not estrin because according to the Dorland's Medical Dictionary, estrin = estrogen. Estrone is one of the memeber of estrogens. It is found in placenta and pregnancy urine.

I will try to find out the journal for you but I cannot guarantee that I will find it!

The deal with PCOS is that there is an increased LH tone with no LH surge (most likely due to an increased GnRH pulsatile amplitude from the hypothalamus). As a result there is no trigger for ovulation and the overies are filled with unruptured follicles which degenerate into cysts. While this occurs the high basal LH levels stimulates the theca cells to secrete testosterone of which some is converted to 17-beta estradiol by the enzyme aromatase within the granulosa cells. The yield is a high estrogen level which inhibits FSH and thus follicular development (also causing the subcortical cysts), menstrual irregularities and infertility along with a androgen level (testosterone) hence the hirsuitism.