Politics......the republican spin machine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gorback,

Instead of long protracted soliloquies about the dangers of BHO, you would be better served by trying to inspire reform in your own party. What has happened to the republican party? I remember a time when Republican and fiscal conservation were synonymous by both words and deeds. What has gone wrong? How did we go from a surplus to SUCH a large deficit? How did we pick such an awful, polarizing VP candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Gorback,

Instead of long protracted soliloquies about the dangers of BHO, you would be better served by trying to inspire reform in your own party. What has happened to the republican party? I remember a time when Republican and fiscal conservation were synonymous by both words and deeds. What has gone wrong? How did we go from a surplus to SUCH a large deficit? How did we pick such an awful, polarizing VP candidate?

wait a minute here--
are you saying the democrats are the party of fiscal responsibility? clinton had a republican congress and was forced to the center. the programs obama wants to start are not a model of fiscal prudence. nobody is defending GWB's budgets, however minus Iraq there would be a surplus, as more money came into the treasury during GWBs years than Clinton's years. Palin has been polarizing because the media is finding ways to make her so--she is a wonderful candidate, with more experience than obama. i think we are waiting for you to say why obama is so wonderful. that was 2 pages ago.

and also, since you missed it. the current situation is because of a government entity supporting mortgages that should never have been provided, which started with Clinton and was not stopped by the democrats when it was clearly shown to be wise to do so. we need government out of the business of business, not making problems for us all, which it does time and time again. why don't you look at the "great" european economies with their bloated government programs and regulations and tell me again how much we need regulation and massive social programs.

Something else to consider about McCain that I haven's seen discussed on this board, or the anesthesia board-

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122506862956370705.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

McCain's health care plan may be good for the country, but it's not very good for doctors. By encouraging people to buy their own health insurance, they will have an incentive to save money by purchasing high deductible catastrophic care policies. This will encourage people to become more price sensitive on doctor visits and elective care. Hmmm... do I get that epidural steroid injection, or save $500 to put a new amp in my Camaro? Maybe I'll google epidural steroid injections and find out if they really do any good.

the high-deductible plans are a problem... but that isn't just a McCain or an Obama issue --- it is something already instigated by private sector to shift the burden of healthcare to the consumer...