Podiatry jobs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Foot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

How can you find jobs for new pod resident grad?

Members don't see this ad.

Word of mouth and making networking connections in the area in which you intend to practice is the best method. As in any field, the best jobs are seldom advertised. Podiatry is a relatively small profession, and the networking path will really snowball if you do it well.

Also, the APMA classifieds, podiatrycareers.org, and podiatryexchange.org are good places to look.

Hi,

How can you find jobs for new pod resident grad?

Just read this post from June. Although this may sound very unpopular, if you're not sure on what or where you want to go or already have plans by the time you leave your program you are on your way to becoming another Podiatry sob story.

Some major cities have a lot of Podiatrists, Ortho groups, etc... but they just aren't markets where Podiatrist's or other groups hire other Podiatrists. This will be the way you have to go unless you can secure other financing for your own practice and this has always been a source of pain for young Podiatrists. The banks will say what?, DP - what?

Do your homework WAY before leaving your program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read this post from June. Although this may sound very unpopular, if you're not sure on what or where you want to go or already have plans by the time you leave your program you are on your way to becoming another Podiatry sob story.

Some major cities have a lot of Podiatrists, Ortho groups, etc... but they just aren't markets where Podiatrist's or other groups hire other Podiatrists. This will be the way you have to go unless you can secure other financing for your own practice and this has always been a source of pain for young Podiatrists. The banks will say what?, DP - what?

WHAT??? I'm still trying to figure out what you're trying to say, but from what I THINK you said, I couldn't disagree more.

WHAT??? I'm still trying to figure out what you're trying to say, but from what I THINK you said, I couldn't disagree more.

I'm sorry but in one sentence you can't figure out what Im trying to say but in the other you disagree with it? In any event, all I'm saying Doctor is to start planning on life at least to some extent before the week AFTER you are finished with your program?

I think you meant "DON'T already have plans by the time you leave your program." Maybe that's the source of confusion?

I'm sorry but in one sentence you can't figure out what Im trying to say but in the other you disagree with it? In any event, all I'm saying Doctor is to start planning on life at least to some extent before the week AFTER you are finished with your program?

Thanks for the clarification. I also believe the confusion was simply the way the post was worded. I think it's safe to say that we would all agree that the greatest chances of obtaining a quality position is to plan ahead. Inevitably, those who don't, end up bitter and blaming podiatry for their lack of success, rather than their lack of planning and motivation.

You made an interesting point in another thread regarding one of your former residents who is making a very substantial income. You were quick to point out this doc was aggressive and had no attitude, doing whatever had to be done to maintain his success.

Unfortunately, I believe he's the exception, not the rule. I know of a lot of recent grads who would be horrified to debride nails. In our practice, all docs are ABPS certified, but we all practice the full spectrum, from palliative care to reconstructive surgery without an attitude.

Additionally, I hear docs whining all the time regarding income, yet they work 11-3 four days a week, while the docs in our practice are working nights, weekends, etc., and are doing whatever it takes to remain busy. We would like to think we have that "old school work ethic". So basically, I feel that most who don't succeed shouldn't blame the profession, but should look in the mirror.