pod outlook in future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turbo40

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
recently I was driving around and I have noticed many signs on private podiatry practices that say things like please come, free screening and all of that. Im pretty sure most of those people were part of the baby boom and only had a 1 year residency program. It just made me a little scared and was wondering about the outlook in the future. I hope this new 2 and 3 year residency programs will give u more opportunities and I was wondering the starting pay for people that went through a 3 year residency program

Members don't see this ad.

turbo40 said:
recently I was driving around and I have noticed many signs on private podiatry practices that say things like please come, free screening and all of that. Im pretty sure most of those people were part of the baby boom and only had a 1 year residency program. It just made me a little scared and was wondering about the outlook in the future. I hope this new 2 and 3 year residency programs will give u more opportunities and I was wondering the starting pay for people that went through a 3 year residency program

"Please come"? Ive never seen such a desperate sign. But I have yet to see any of the above mentioned. However, Im sure they exist. I am constantly bombarded with junk mail from dentists that advertise a "free cleaning" or "Free teeth whitening". They still do well. Dont worry about it.

The salary question I guess will never cease. I understand its important to know but a quick search on SDN forums can give you all the info you need. I will comment nonetheless. Starting salaries from recent alumn here at DMU and Broadlawn residents have been reported from as low as 120K to as high as 200K (that was in Idaho though). Practice type and benefit/package compensations vary which greatly infuence starting pay. I dont know if this is the norm, its just what Ive seen here. Hope that helps.

Rob has a lot of good points. Remember too when you are looking at podiatrist salaries on monster.com or even in surveys done in podiatric circles that the average salary includes all of the older podiatrist you mentioned who simply don't have the training we will receive. Our 2-3 postgrad training is relatively new so I would guess it's a safe bet that way more than half of respondents are "old school chip n clip podiatrists". There is nothing wrong with that, but they definitely won't be making what a newer practitioner would. Three years of intense surgical training will open doors that our predecessors never had available to them so the future looks pretty bright from where I sit. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. Podiatrists today receive a far superior education to that of 30 years ago. Many podiatrists that have only been in practice for 10 years will tell you that the profession has made leaps and bounds in just the last decade. I believe that podiatry is experiencing the growth and expansion that osteopathic medicine received in the 1960's.

In regard to the advertisements that you saw, well, you will always see the one or two docs that post "free screenings" stuff, but those are in every aspect of medicine. Lets face it, there are docs out there who (for one reason or another) don't manage their money well, are lazy, don't maintain a good practice, run off their patients, etc. For them, advertising becomes necessary just to keep their heads above water.