Please Stop the CVS Bashing!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The 14 hour shift thing is a lie. Stores that dont have the 3rd overlap pharmacist have to work 14 hour shifts. My store is a perfect example. The pharmacy is open 88 hours and there are 2 pharmacists. The only way to avoid working a 14 hour shift would be to work 6 days a week.

I guess the OP RxRube is right. You do have a choice! Work 14 hour days or work 6 days a week. Sounds great! Kind of like someone telling you they will kick you in the balls but you get to choose which foot they use.

Members don't see this ad.

Ready fill- Good program for those who WANT it. Mandates come down from DM to sign everyone up whether they want it or not so they can hit their required % and get their bonus. Can you honestly tell me that the senior citizens or mentally disabled people aren't picking up rx's that the doctor changed the dose or they no longer take because CVS called them and told them they have an RX to pickup?? There is no way for pharmacists to know any changes. ||||So tell me how does any Pharmacy stay in business if customers just come once and are never seen again?||||| So its about money-nice that you agree. Not in your curriculum?? Not patient safety?

Am I the kind of pharmacist that will only stand , verify and not do anything else? Your youth and may I say ignorance is showing. Years ago the pharms took out the trash, answered the phone, swept the sidewalk, unloaded trucks and everything that needed to be done. We were not put on a pedestal nor were we "Doctors" driving a hummer. I have done more of the nonpharmacist work than you can imagine and still do. You see, I don't think I walk on water nor do I drive a hummer. Besides at CVS , when you are the only pharm there doing 500 or so rx's in a day, what is it you are doing? Out front facing and dusting. Maybe sitting down and couseling each patient with every new rx?? Seriously?

You seem defensive and concerned that being a supervisor may be hell and how alot of people want to go back into a store. Maybe its not for you. Nothing to be embarassed about. I question the 100 applicants for the emerging leader program in your region/area. I have yet to talk to any pharm young or old that wanted any part of it. Maybe 100 pharms employed in the area? 100 pharms would be both pharms in 50 stores want to advance with CVS?

I don't think myself or anyone else wants to go to a store and read magazines. We are angry that having everything timed(phone , drive thru, wait times etc), ready fill(filing rxs people don't take any more which results in people taking the wrong meds). Timed tasks make you hurry unecessarily and risk errors(you should understand). If you have worked the bench you cannot deny that NONE of these programs are good for peoples health, they result in errors or even death. But, it gets money in register. The anger comes from this. Never in my curriculum. Yours?

Having said this, I hope your career goes in the direction you want it to.
OLD I am not an advocate of errors or operating CVS like it's McDonald there's a big difference- if McDonalds incorrectly gives me a chicken sandwich when I order a Big Mac no big major problem right? If a Pharmacist let's say fills a warfarin prescription when it should have been Toprol we have some big issues right? I agree 100% that we need programs to help the Pharmacist and to prevent errors.
I don't know how things operate in your district, but speaking as P.I.C at my store I and my staff only enroll customers who give us their permission to put these meds on ready fill- maybe it's store specific but majority of my customers want their meds on ready fill especially the elderly- we do not force everyone to be on ready fills- if we did our overnight Pharmacist would be very pissed because they would have tons of rx's to RTS. To respond to your questions about senior citizens and the "mentally disabled" our techs ask those important questions- we ask them if they are still taking them or needing them- so don't feed me this crap that we force them to pick up this meds. I don't know where you are gong with this Pharmacist driving a Hummer crap you are spewing- with the salary they are paying us I could care less if a Pharmacist drives a Rose Royce, Mercedes, Hummer or a freaking Hyundai. Also, you are talking to a Pharmacist that cleans, sweeps, washes windows, take trash, etc- been there done that- also I find it hard to believe that you are working in a Pharmacist doing 500 week and you have no overlap- total bull****- and a great massive exaggeration on your behalf.
You have yet to give me any suggestions OLD- so do we just get rid of all these programs? Do we just go back to the old school days- where a patient dropped off a prescription and they return 4 hour later? Give me some suggestions- instead of talking bad about the company offer some solutions- people like you OLD are part of the problem- if you don't like it ask for your walking papers.

You have done a poor job arguing for CVS. You have made no valid points. You admit you are part of thier emerging brainwashed fools program. The only consistant thing you have rambled on about is how Walgreens does the same crappy things CVS does only CVS does it better so it is okay. I am glad you are happy with retail pharmacy being all about money and zero about patient care. You should move right up the ladder with CVS. Providing the ladder is still there for you and not in a federal prison somewhere like RiteAid's former CEO.

You go ahead and keep on trucking emerging leader. Do not forget the timers and make sure you meet all your metrics because that is what is important.....answering the phone in 10 seconds or the drive through in 15.....thats what is important.
again if it's so bad why are you still working for them- maybe YOU are the one that is in love with the money!!!! Do you know how stupid all of you sound who work for CVS and talk about how bad it is yet you stay? What if I told you that the Red Lobster up the road from me has terrible food, bad customer service, high prices, filthy, but then I tell you I ate there 5 days last week and I am going to eat there tomorrow. Kinda makes me look foolish right? Catch my drift?

Members don't see this ad :)
OLD I am not an advocate of errors or operating CVS like it's McDonald there's a big difference- if McDonalds incorrectly gives me a chicken sandwich when I order a Big Mac no big major problem right? If a Pharmacist let's say fills a warfarin prescription when it should have been Toprol we have some big issues right? I agree 100% that we need programs to help the Pharmacist and to prevent errors. .

Every fiber of your being should be opposed to working at CVS because this is CVS.

You have yet to give me any suggestions OLD- so do we just get rid of all these programs? Do we just go back to the old school days- where a patient dropped off a prescription and they return 4 hour later? Give me some suggestions- instead of talking bad about the company offer some solutions- people like you OLD are part of the problem- if you don't like it ask for your walking papers.

Wow that is rich coming from you. No my friend it is pharmacists like you that are the problem and are leading this profession down the drain.

Do you mean old school days where we had enough staff and tiime to accuratly fill a prescription and counsel the patient? Do you mean old school days where you copuld step out of the pharmacy to use the bathroom? Do you mean old school days where you were not the only pharmacist on duty working a 14 hour shift? Or do you mean the old days when this was actually a profession that did not have more in common with McDonalds than other healthcare fields.

Then I say yes. I would like to go back to the old days. Where you could practice pharmacy instead of feeling like you were in the center of a tornado about to kill someone any second because you were trying to do 20 things at once. Oh wait whats that...4 pharmacy lines on hold....3 cars in drive through......

Last edited:
again if it's so bad why are you still working for them- maybe YOU are the one that is in love with the money!!!! Do you know how stupid all of you sound who work for CVS and talk about how bad it is yet you stay? What if I told you that the Red Lobster up the road from me has terrible food, bad customer service, high prices, filthy, but then I tell you I ate there 5 days last week and I am going to eat there tomorrow. Kinda makes me look foolish right? Catch my drift?

You are one of the most clueless posters ever on SDN. There have been alot of clueless posters so you are in exclusive compnay.

I DO NOT WORK FOR CVS. I wouldn't work for CVS if it were the last pharmacy job in the world and not taking it meant my familt would have to live under a bridge in a card board box.

okay so I got up this morning and decided to amend this statement. I would never allow my family to live in a cardboard box under a bridge. However I would have to exhaust every single possible option before I would ever consider working for CVS.

Last edited:
wow, this thread is scary. I was planning to work for CVS as a pharmacy technician too. Im going to submit my resume tomorrow too... Im having a lot of second doubts because I read that employees dont get bathroom breaks.

OLD I am not an advocate of errors or operating CVS like it's McDonald there's a big difference- if McDonalds incorrectly gives me a chicken sandwich when I order a Big Mac no big major problem right? If a Pharmacist let's say fills a warfarin prescription when it should have been Toprol we have some big issues right? I agree 100% that we need programs to help the Pharmacist and to prevent errors.
I don't know how things operate in your district, but speaking as P.I.C at my store I and my staff only enroll customers who give us their permission to put these meds on ready fill- maybe it's store specific but majority of my customers want their meds on ready fill especially the elderly- we do not force everyone to be on ready fills- if we did our overnight Pharmacist would be very pissed because they would have tons of rx's to RTS. To respond to your questions about senior citizens and the "mentally disabled" our techs ask those important questions- we ask them if they are still taking them or needing them- so don't feed me this crap that we force them to pick up this meds. I don't know where you are gong with this Pharmacist driving a Hummer crap you are spewing- with the salary they are paying us I could care less if a Pharmacist drives a Rose Royce, Mercedes, Hummer or a freaking Hyundai. Also, you are talking to a Pharmacist that cleans, sweeps, washes windows, take trash, etc- been there done that- also I find it hard to believe that you are working in a Pharmacist doing 500 week and you have no overlap- total bull****- and a great massive exaggeration on your behalf.

I am not sure where you work but there is NO overlap in my area-NONE. 500 per day not week. What does your store do 500/week? Why-regional? Dm makes 28% bonus on payroll below budget alone. That might be a reason? Suggestions- go back to caring about the people. Why do you need our suggestions- aren't you the emerging leader. Heres one- offer to cut your tech help in half- get rid of the highest paid techs first. SAVE money. Hire inexperienced people for less. They will love you. Use your store as a protype. And yes ready fill enrollment is REQUIRED in some areas- regional or dm direction who knows. However, you are not acting like a leader here. You should give good arguements with facts.

wow, this thread is scary. I was planning to work for CVS as a pharmacy technician too. Im going to submit my resume tomorrow too... Im having a lot of second doubts because I read that employees dont get bathroom breaks.
Techs get breaks... But they are also severely underpaid and required to do constant "training" for the (what seems like monthly) programs that CVS rolls out. Good luck.

Yeah Nycrxdream, techs and Interns SHOULD get breaks, though sometimes it seems to depend on the PIC. I know about a year ago, it was really looked down upon to take your full 15 min breaks or stay for your full 30-min lunch, but only after someone complained to HR did we get our full breaks.

It's always good to experience things for yourself rather than take the advice of SDN posters as the end all be all. Experience CVS for yourself and see what it's like. More often than not it's usually somewhere in the middle. Though in this case the Anti-CVS group is more right than not :laugh:

Yeah Nycrxdream, techs and Interns SHOULD get breaks, though sometimes it seems to depend on the PIC. I know about a year ago, it was really looked down upon to take your full 15 min breaks or stay for your full 30-min lunch, but only after someone complained to HR did we get our full breaks.

It's always good to experience things for yourself rather than take the advice of SDN posters as the end all be all. Experience CVS for yourself and see what it's like. More often than not it's usually somewhere in the middle. Though in this case the Anti-CVS group is more right than not :laugh:

The PIC at my store when I was working at CVS basically punished herself by cutting hours on Saturdays. It used to be Store Opens at 9, I come in at 10, another intern comes it at 11, one of us leaves at 5, and the other closes at 6. When we had to take breaks, it was okay because there was one of us still there.

After the cuts, it was only me working. I don't take a break during the first 4 hours. I combine my 1/2 hour unpaid with one of my 15 minute paid breaks for lunch, and then take another 15 minute paid break around 5PM. Generally, when I came back from my lunch, the pharmacy was swamped and the PIC looked like she wanted to commit suicide.

And we did about 180 scripts on Saturdays.

Now, while I found pharmacy at Costco to be quite boring (I was just sitting around twiddling my thumbs for a lot of time there, and the pharmacists didn't want interns to be doing doctor calls, it was really only at that store.) However, the techs seemed very happy with their job. Other than me and another intern, the full time techs had been there for 10+ years. We did the same script count that I had at CVS but there were 2 pharmacists overlapping with usually 4 techs there.

OLD I agree with you that the industy has changed- YES it's more so about the money than patient care and I attribute that because Retail has become a for profit business- yes any time you are in the health field and you are worried more about profit than overall health you are going to have this issue. This is the whole things that's wrong with the health care industry overall because it's profit driven. However, this applies to all the major retail chains. Old you surely don't think Walgreens on the business level operates differently?? At one time Walgreens didn't accept or participate in gift cards for new or transferred prescriptions- now they do.
Old you sound like you are very Old- no pun intended- disgruntled Pharmacist and don't want to accept the new practice- I have seen many Pharmacist like you who just want to sit in one spot and just verify all day- you are too good to answer the phone- you don't consider yourself a tech so you won't type- you could care less if the whole Queue goes red that fit you don't it? Old if you don't like it just quit, retire or open up your own Pharmacy and run it the way you like.
Oh what has the company done for me and what ladders have I climbed- Yes I am a P.I.C- big deal huh? However, in my district i am one other Pharmacist out of a pool of over 100 was selected to participate in an emerging leader program which I am proudly going through and quite frankly have learned a lot more about the business side. Also, what's the big issue about being in a store? I know some former Pharmacy Supervisors who didn't like that side of the business and returned to a store willingly. So just because you are out of the tore doesn't make it any better- actually I know quite a few Supervisors and trust me their job is a living hell.
OlD, I don't know what state you work in, but I can be certain that you are making a very nice six figure salary and last I checked CVS benefits and 401 K are very good- so why the hell are you complaining.
OLD i guess you want it where you have unlimited tech hours- low script volume and you can bring in your magazine and read all day and still get paid top dollar? Honestly, I started working for Sav On and on a busy week we did about 800 scripts a week- I do that on any given Monday alone and to be honest I would not even want to go back to a low volume read a magazine all day type store. Old have you expressed your dissatisfaction with your Pharmacy Supervisor or DM? Better yet, what ideas or suggestions do you have? You don't like Ready Fills right? So tell me how does any Pharmacy stay in business if customers just come once and are never seen again? So what if every Doctos office didn't get repeat patients? What if any business never got repeat customers? Also, there are a lot of customers at lest at my store who like Ready Fill

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...unless you're good at, well, how should i put this....sniffing someone elses ass and telling them it smells like roses...you will be in that program for awhile and if and when u do get promoted, you will be a salaried slave for a long time...and learning about business? Please...the only thing u will be learning is how to work 80 hours for a salaried 40 hour week...You are brainwashed dude...

However, you are not acting like a leader here. You should give good arguements with facts.

What a novel idea! However it is much easier to spout off worthless information that you cannot back up rather than address the facts. It has been mildly entertaining toying with him though.

Alrighty guys, Im going to do it, and let you know.
Im only doing this because my friend wants to me to (she is a intern there) and said I will most likely get a bathroom break lol. (Sorry, read too much of the blonde pharmacist blogs about bathroom breaks)

That and the pharmacist in CVS seems like a pretty nice person.

Though in this case the Anti-CVS group is more right than not
I agree

Members don't see this ad :)
Word. Absolutely depends on your specific store/district rather company.

I love working for CVS... our store is tucked away in a shopping center, used to be a Rite Aid before being bought out. Nobody hardly knows our store is there. We do 900 scripts/week tops. Very laid back and easy pace store, no drive through. My DM is also awesome.

YMMV

until they close that location and open a free standing store on the corner with a drive thru and you go from doing 900/week to 2000 week in a matter of time...either way, if you are content, then that is good for you...for me, it sucked...

Wow!!!! I know the type. It's what I refer to as the CVS drone/robot. Just simply spouting CVS propaganda. I know what they're about to say before it even leaves there lips, I heard it all.

I've done the over 4200 a week, PIC, and was given the option to become an emerging leader which I turned down. I was always been "my own person"/free thinker not the type that meshes well with CVS corporate.

Working at CVS has consistently gotten worse. They consistently hold unrealistic goals, cut help, too much bureaucracy, no recognition, telemarketing, mindless and spinelss upper management, "big brother" tactics to keep tabs on phone calls (through the phone and the computer logs). Endless programs (PCI, Ready fill, CSI, GSR, pharmacy advisor) that are soleley about script count to increase their bottom line, but which are "sold" to the public as well as new grads helping patient compliance/wellbeing.

The one hot of the presses is pharmacy adivsor, which focuses on disease states. Initally focusing on diabetes, we must counsel the patient and call doctors to tell them to be placed on ACEIs and statins. Granted that low dose Acei's are renal protective so i can loosely see how it would be benficial to recommend them. But there are no recommendations to my knowledge nor is it general protocol to arbitrarily put a patient on a statin "just in case" since they have diabetes. I'm sure CVS will try an sponser a study to show that this would be beneficial.

The whole branch of Consulting Pharmacy was developed to streamline patient's drug regimen and prevent over-medication. Meanwhile most of CVS practices are at complete odds with this, for what? a buck?

I know this isn't the company for me. I am trying to be proactive on finding my calling.

14 hour shifts are one major reason i went into pharmacy. 4 day weekend every weekend , im totally down for that.

But sadly nuclear does not have this type of setup too much, except for independent nuclear operators (my goal but they will be dying out) (oh well at least cardinal starts you with 4-6 weeks of vacation)

Where's 'Old Timer' when all of this is going on?

"14 hour shifts are one major reason i went into pharmacy. 4 day weekend every weekend , im totally down for that."
I thought the same thing. However, reality is a bit harsher. When you are verifying 200-300 scripts on top of a million other things in that 14 hour shift it is far from safe. It is downright dangerous. I'm suprised there arent more serious errors reported from CVS.

I am not sure where you work but there is NO overlap in my area-NONE. 500 per day not week. What does your store do 500/week? Why-regional? Dm makes 28% bonus on payroll below budget alone. That might be a reason? Suggestions- go back to caring about the people. Why do you need our suggestions- aren't you the emerging leader. Heres one- offer to cut your tech help in half- get rid of the highest paid techs first. SAVE money. Hire inexperienced people for less. They will love you. Use your store as a protype. And yes ready fill enrollment is REQUIRED in some areas- regional or dm direction who knows. However, you are not acting like a leader here. You should give good arguements with facts.
Nope my store actually does 4300 a week-it's busiest in district 2nd busiest in Region.
You have still not addressed any question I have asked you. Here we ago again- instead of pointing fingers and saying how bad it is- what are your suggestions? Have you talked to your Supervisor or DM? Hell have you written Tom Ryan in the past or Larry Merlot? I doubt it!
OLD I hate to say this but you are the typical old school Pharmacist that is set in your ways and just wants to sit on your arse and whine and complain about how bad things are. You in your own word stated that CVS current system sets up Pharmacist for failure or errors? If that's the case why in the Hell are you still working for them? I sure as Hell would not want to work for a company where I might be in jeopardy of harming someone and thereby possibly losing my Pharmacy license. I am sorry there's not a salary that any company can pay me that will make me endanger my customers lives. Have you reported in any of this to your State Board????
You are so full of it!!!! If people like you ran the company OKD we would be Rite Aid right now. In fact I bet you are an old school eckerd's Pharmacist huh? Eckerd's sure as hell didn't have all these "programs" that CVS has and Eckerds was pretty much run the Pharmacy however you want type deal and where is Eckerd's today??? I rest my case!!!! OLD bottom line is when you get stubborn people like you who don't diddly squat about running the "Business" of Pharmacy you end up with Eckerd's and Rite Aid- however, when you get people like the Tom Ryan's of this world running this company you get 90 billion in profit and job security.Oh and before you bad mouth him- he was a Pharmacist so he knows the Pharmacy pros and cons just like you and I.
I really would love to see your stores KPM and Triple S score OLD- I would bet my last dollar that they are horrible- wouldn't be suprised if you are a challenged store.

Wow!!!! I know the type. It's what I refer to as the CVS drone/robot. Just simply spouting CVS propaganda. I know what they're about to say before it even leaves there lips, I heard it all.

I've done the over 4200 a week, PIC, and was given the option to become an emerging leader which I turned down. I was always been "my own person"/free thinker not the type that meshes well with CVS corporate.

Working at CVS has consistently gotten worse. They consistently hold unrealistic goals, cut help, too much bureaucracy, no recognition, telemarketing, mindless and spinelss upper management, "big brother" tactics to keep tabs on phone calls (through the phone and the computer logs). Endless programs (PCI, Ready fill, CSI, GSR, pharmacy advisor) that are soleley about script count to increase their bottom line, but which are "sold" to the public as well as new grads helping patient compliance/wellbeing.

The one hot of the presses is pharmacy adivsor, which focuses on disease states. Initally focusing on diabetes, we must counsel the patient and call doctors to tell them to be placed on ACEIs and statins. Granted that low dose Acei's are renal protective so i can loosely see how it would be benficial to recommend them. But there are no recommendations to my knowledge nor is it general protocol to arbitrarily put a patient on a statin "just in case" since they have diabetes. I'm sure CVS will try an sponser a study to show that this would be beneficial.

The whole branch of Consulting Pharmacy was developed to streamline patient's drug regimen and prevent over-medication. Meanwhile most of CVS practices are at complete odds with this, for what? a buck?

I know this isn't the company for me. I am trying to be proactive on finding my calling.
I find it very hard to believe based on this post alone that you came anywhere close to being an Emerging Leader. Again I sound like a broken record- how the hell you think CVS stays in business? They stay in business by making money- this is economics 101- what company do you know that doesn't worry about it's bottom line? If that were the case why doesn't Walgreens have a load of techs working in their Pharmacies? If you look at the chains that have the most tech help it's the chains where Pharmacy is a small integral part of their budget. I know a former store manager of Target and he pretty much told me the Pharmacy wasn't even included in their budget- it was a minor thing to have for customers. When you think of Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger's, Albertsons, etc there main profit does not generate from Pharmacy so comparing those chains to a CVS or Walgreens is crazy.
I guess none of you could care less when Wal-Mart went to a $4 program which killed a lot of Independent Pharmacies. What about Publix Pharmacy in Florida where certain anti-biotics are free? Please don't make it seem like CVS is the only one doing these "evil" things? All the major chains with the exception of Wal-Mart have gift cards for transferred prescriptions. Guys grow up- at the end of the day Retail i Retail and I don't care who you work for it's all a business and right now looks like CVS is doing a damn good job on the business end- you don't make 90 billion profit especially in these harsh economic times and you have the nerve to call us a crappy company??? How much profit did your company make? I rest my case yet again!

Nope my store actually does 4300 a week-it's busiest in district 2nd busiest in Region.
You have still not addressed any question I have asked you. Here we ago again- instead of pointing fingers and saying how bad it is- what are your suggestions? Have you talked to your Supervisor or DM? Hell have you written Tom Ryan in the past or Larry Merlot? I doubt it!
OLD I hate to say this but you are the typical old school Pharmacist that is set in your ways and just wants to sit on your arse and whine and complain about how bad things are. You in your own word stated that CVS current system sets up Pharmacist for failure or errors? If that's the case why in the Hell are you still working for them? I sure as Hell would not want to work for a company where I might be in jeopardy of harming someone and thereby possibly losing my Pharmacy license. I am sorry there's not a salary that any company can pay me that will make me endanger my customers lives. Have you reported in any of this to your State Board????
You are so full of it!!!! If people like you ran the company OKD we would be Rite Aid right now. In fact I bet you are an old school eckerd's Pharmacist huh? Eckerd's sure as hell didn't have all these "programs" that CVS has and Eckerds was pretty much run the Pharmacy however you want type deal and where is Eckerd's today??? I rest my case!!!! OLD bottom line is when you get stubborn people like you who don't diddly squat about running the "Business" of Pharmacy you end up with Eckerd's and Rite Aid- however, when you get people like the Tom Ryan's of this world running this company you get 90 billion in profit and job security.Oh and before you bad mouth him- he was a Pharmacist so he knows the Pharmacy pros and cons just like you and I.
I really would love to see your stores KPM and Triple S score OLD- I would bet my last dollar that they are horrible- wouldn't be suprised if you are a challenged store.

didn't Tom Ryan marry the bosses daughter at one time before it became big. The mexican drug cartels make a lot of money also, perhaps you worship them also. In an earlier post you stated you worked for 2 other chains before CVS. Can you tell us why you were let go from them??? does CVS know?

Being stubborn has nothing to do with it. Nothing in what they are doing is about patient safety/health or anything good for the patient. truthfully, don't you hate lying to people when telling them how great these programs are for them when in fact it is really designed to get $ in the register. The most trusted profession? Not working for CVS. Once again what part of their programs were part of your curriculum? Can't answer that, huh?

Your techs ask people on ready fill if they are still taking the different medications? Is that at the register in front of everyone standing there? Isn't that a HIPPA violation? Shouldn't you be consulting with the patients yourself?

Seriously son, Triple S and Execution, has such little meaning in life. its hard to understand why you don't know that.

Its refreshing to know that you are now a buisness EXPERT. A couple of meetings with the DM and the Pharm supp where they told you that you were great and you are an emerging leader. Ever ask how many people turned them down before they offered it to you?? Might be worth asking. Might be surprised. maybe you could help DR M and his partner. They would probably have 20 stores by now with your help.

I gave you a suggestion to help you climb the ladder faster. Cut you tech hours in half. Were you not listening. Write the older, higher paid ones, up first and get rid of them. Hire all new people(if you even need any more help than the 50% tech hours you will have) at less money. You should be able to hire anybody you want. Just tell them how much money CVS made last year and how little CVS will pay them as long as they are there. They will come their just for that alone and working with you, an emerging leader. Cut your tech payroll in half , they will worship you. perhaps you will get to speak at the next annual meeting. maybe i will see you there.You are probably a multiple paragon winner.

didn't Tom Ryan marry the bosses daughter at one time before it became big. The mexican drug cartels make a lot of money also, perhaps you worship them also. In an earlier post you stated you worked for 2 other chains before CVS. Can you tell us why you were let go from them??? does CVS know?

Being stubborn has nothing to do with it. Nothing in what they are doing is about patient safety/health or anything good for the patient. truthfully, don't you hate lying to people when telling them how great these programs are for them when in fact it is really designed to get $ in the register. The most trusted profession? Not working for CVS. Once again what part of their programs were part of your curriculum? Can't answer that, huh?

Your techs ask people on ready fill if they are still taking the different medications? Is that at the register in front of everyone standing there? Isn't that a HIPPA violation? Shouldn't you be consulting with the patients yourself?

Seriously son, Triple S and Execution, has such little meaning in life. its hard to understand why you don't know that.

Its refreshing to know that you are now a buisness EXPERT. A couple of meetings with the DM and the Pharm supp where they told you that you were great and you are an emerging leader. Ever ask how many people turned them down before they offered it to you?? Might be worth asking. Might be surprised. maybe you could help DR M and his partner. They would probably have 20 stores by now with your help.

I gave you a suggestion to help you climb the ladder faster. Cut you tech hours in half. Were you not listening. Write the older, higher paid ones, up first and get rid of them. Hire all new people(if you even need any more help than the 50% tech hours you will have) at less money. You should be able to hire anybody you want. Just tell them how much money CVS made last year and how little CVS will pay them as long as they are there. They will come their just for that alone and working with you, an emerging leader. Cut your tech payroll in half , they will worship you. perhaps you will get to speak at the next annual meeting. maybe i will see you there.You are probably a multiple paragon winner.
What is seriously wrong with you? Why don't you just Quit??? First things first- to answer your question- Yes CVS knew of my prior history- I started off with Albertsons/Sav-On where as P.I.C ran a store that did oh about 800 a year- that would have been perfect for you- I saw the DM maybe once every 3 months- no ready fill- company lost money hence the reason(s) why tons of stores closed and Why Jewel Osco got sold out to you know who. I worked for Wally at Walgreens and talk about a crappy run company- my tech often had to work 3 different stations- the whole workflow is like a factory line with a conveyer(sp) in most of the stores. If you got slow you had to verify prescriptions from other stores- yeah that's a great idea. Oh and big brother watched you too- the system forbid you too print out labels ahead of time and oh Wally worlds's got the red clock that tracks your time as well.
Also, if you ask a customer if you want any of your meds on ready fill how is that a HIPPA violation? It's only a HIPPa violation if you shout out what meds they are- maybe that's the way you do it at your store/ I doubt you do nothing more than verify. when's the last time you type in a prescription? I bet your techs frown when they know they have to work with you.
Believe me if I am ever to become a a Pharmacy Sup- it's people like you that i will be the first to get rid of- what are you 60's years or older and still a grouch? Please let a younger more energetic Pharmacist have you spot- go retire or go open your own Independent. Again if things are so bad why are you still there?????

What is seriously wrong with you? Why don't you just Quit??? First things first- to answer your question- Yes CVS knew of my prior history- I started off with Albertsons/Sav-On where as P.I.C ran a store that did oh about 800 a year- that would have been perfect for you- I saw the DM maybe once every 3 months- no ready fill- company lost money hence the reason(s) why tons of stores closed and Why Jewel Osco got sold out to you know who. I worked for Wally at Walgreens and talk about a crappy run company- my tech often had to work 3 different stations- the whole workflow is like a factory line with a conveyer(sp) in most of the stores. If you got slow you had to verify prescriptions from other stores- yeah that's a great idea. Oh and big brother watched you too- the system forbid you too print out labels ahead of time and oh Wally worlds's got the red clock that tracks your time as well.
Also, if you ask a customer if you want any of your meds on ready fill how is that a HIPPA violation? It's only a HIPPa violation if you shout out what meds they are- maybe that's the way you do it at your store/ I doubt you do nothing more than verify. when's the last time you type in a prescription? I bet your techs frown when they know they have to work with you.
Believe me if I am ever to become a a Pharmacy Sup- it's people like you that i will be the first to get rid of- what are you 60's years or older and still a grouch? Please let a younger more energetic Pharmacist have you spot- go retire or go open your own Independent. Again if things are so bad why are you still there?????

wow, age discrimination. CVS tell you that at a meeting?

So, when do your techs ask people?? The people come into pick up their rx's and are at the register. do your techs point to the drug? Do they ask if they are still taking it TID after their last doctor appoint? Why aren't you counseling? I know that was part of your curriculum. Why won't you tell us what part of CVS policies were taught in college and are good for people? I keep asking.

Dr. M said it best. You really think you are going somewhere. You are carrying their banner. I have seen a hundred fools chasing around thinking they are going to get promoted. Kissing someones a** hoping its the right a** to kiss. Most times its not. If you have ever been around Area VP's and Regionals you will see the DM's , pharm supps like you laughing at the stupid jokes and following them around picking up their napkin if they drop it. I have never seen any of those people promoted. I've seen alot of people brought in from outside the company not a** kissers. Grow up dude. Quit referring to CVS and yourself as "WE", "US" etc. you are a prostitute like everyone else. they don't care about you. You are embarrassing yourself.

As far as my techs- I have had some for almost as long as you have been alive and many times longer than you have been a pharmacist. VERY little turnover. i am sure your techs worship you being an emerging leader. but, maybe you never told them-- nah, you probably mention it daily. Did they give you a t-shirt and hat that says emerging leader?

Now, about your curriculum and my idea for you to climb the ladder(how many techs did you write up today?) cutting tech hours?

sorry , the other chains let you go. it happens. don't feel badly. It wasn't the right fit for you.

Now, could you let us know a little bit more about CVS policy to get rid of older workers. I, and many people, would like to hear about that meeting. who spoke, who was there, where it was held etc. Anything written you received could be posted here for all to share.

Seriously ask how many people turned down the emerging leader before you fell for it.

RxRube you keep repeating the same tired old lines. Come up with something new. You have conveinently ignored every post I have made that directly counters what you have said. CVS has more in common with Rite Aid than you know. There formewr CEO is in federal prison for illegal, unethical and immoral acts he commited as CEO. Sounds kind of familar doesn't it? It is the same path CVS is heading down. Tom Ryan and his cronies will look good in prison garb.

Every single one untill they got the him. There is a sucker born every minute!

It's funny to me that in this case the sucker is the one who enjoys his job. Poor fool. :rolleyes:

Is it better to be happy/delusional or unhappy/realistic? I don't know the answer, but if someone enjoys the kool aid I say by all means drink away.

If you are going to continue using "profit" as your selling point, you might want to learn how to read first. There is a HUGE difference between revenue and profit. In 2009, CVS had a total revenue of $87 billion and a profit of $3 billion. Now, $3 billion is an awesome number, but a HUGE difference from the $90 billion you continually claim. You inability to figure this out only makes you look more like an idiot.

I find it very hard to believe based on this post alone that you came anywhere close to being an Emerging Leader. Again I sound like a broken record- how the hell you think CVS stays in business? They stay in business by making money- this is economics 101- what company do you know that doesn't worry about it's bottom line? If that were the case why doesn't Walgreens have a load of techs working in their Pharmacies? If you look at the chains that have the most tech help it's the chains where Pharmacy is a small integral part of their budget. I know a former store manager of Target and he pretty much told me the Pharmacy wasn't even included in their budget- it was a minor thing to have for customers. When you think of Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger's, Albertsons, etc there main profit does not generate from Pharmacy so comparing those chains to a CVS or Walgreens is crazy.
I guess none of you could care less when Wal-Mart went to a $4 program which killed a lot of Independent Pharmacies. What about Publix Pharmacy in Florida where certain anti-biotics are free? Please don't make it seem like CVS is the only one doing these "evil" things? All the major chains with the exception of Wal-Mart have gift cards for transferred prescriptions. Guys grow up- at the end of the day Retail i Retail and I don't care who you work for it's all a business and right now looks like CVS is doing a damn good job on the business end- you don't make 90 billion profit especially in these harsh economic times and you have the nerve to call us a crappy company??? How much profit did your company make? I rest my case yet again!

It's funny to me that in this case the sucker is the one who enjoys his job. Poor fool. :rolleyes:

Is it better to be happy/delusional or unhappy/realistic? I don't know the answer, but if someone enjoys the kool aid I say by all means drink away.

For some people ignorance really is bliss.....

That's what letter writers to some of the pharmacy magazines have said! If retail is so terrible, GET OUT.

OTOH, there are some people who really like being martyrs.

Word. Absolutely depends on your specific store/district rather company.

I love working for CVS... our store is tucked away in a shopping center, used to be a Rite Aid before being bought out. Nobody hardly knows our store is there. We do 900 scripts/week tops. Very laid back and easy pace store, no drive through. My DM is also awesome.

YMMV

Our local CVS took about a 90% nosedive after they bought out Osco, and then the customers drifted back and now they're a sweatshop once again.

Actually its people like you who should not be representing our profession...your words are a disgrace...

Did any pharmacy have these programs when Eckerd existed?

1. If "retail is retail" why did you put Rite Aid down in a previous post?

2. If they really made 90 billion profit why can't they provide more tech or overlap hours for stores that need it?

Man, you are the company man all the way and I'm sure they "love" you are cooperate until they fire you for someone else who will work for less. I work at Rite Aid and while we are not cranking out 3 billion in profits I, personally, am way less hassled compared to what it sounds like CVS peeps have to deal with. No 14 hour shifts, the ability to pee when I need to, and I have time to talk to patients becasue there are not 14 programs/timers tracking what I do every minute.

And the whole line about you not working for a company that puts you at a med error risk is laughable. I'm sure CVS has done cost/benifit analyses looking at hours and errors and go with what is cost effective; cut hours and pay out when an error happens. Working 14 hour days with insufficient help is 100% putting you at an error and when it happens they will pay out and fire you to "fix" the problem

I find it very hard to believe based on this post alone that you came anywhere close to being an Emerging Leader. Again I sound like a broken record- !

Yep that is the only thing you have accomplished in this thread. Sounding like a broken record repeating the same flawed arguments.

how the hell you think CVS stays in business?

If you look at all the investigations, fines and pending litigation I would say they are staying in business by breaking the law. Look at the CEO of Rite Aid if you need an expample of what happens when you do that. Makeing lots of money by any means necessary including breaking the law is not a good thing. You seem to think it is....

I guess none of you could care less when Wal-Mart went to a $4 program which killed a lot of Independent Pharmacies. What about Publix Pharmacy in Florida where certain anti-biotics are free? ?

Sure we see all of it and yes Wal-Mart has done more damage to the profession than any other comapny. However we are not discussing Wal-Mart or any other company. Your logic is tragically flawed. You sound like a three year old who got caught stealling cookies out of the cookie jar. But Mom every one is doing it so why can't I. The only argument you have put up in CVS's defense is every compnay is doing bad things so it is okay for CVS to do bad things as well.

Guys grow up- at the end of the day Retail i Retail and I don't care who you work for it's all a business and right now looks like CVS is doing a damn good job on the business end- you don't make 90 billion profit especially in these harsh economic times and you have the nerve to call us a crappy company??? How much profit did your company make? I rest my case yet again!

You are telling us to grow up? You have made it quite obvious who needs to do the growing up. What case are you resting? Oh right your whole argument or "case" is a company can engage in illegal, unethical and immoral activities and it is okay as long as the compay is making a massive amount of profit.

If all of CVS's "emerging leaders" are like you then I think the rest of us can relax. Once all of you move up CVS will be out of business in no time.

Chime in Old Timer...dont sit back now...besides, according to the OP, when he becomes a supervisor, hes gonna fire your ass and replace u with a younger, faster lad...:laugh:

Chime in Old Timer...dont sit back now...besides, according to the OP, when he becomes a supervisor, hes gonna fire your ass and replace u with a younger, faster lad...:laugh:

They don't exist. Plus, I am now in the category where I can sue for age discrimination. So, I'm safe.....

CVS's recent purchase of CCRx is yet another reason I hate CVS, how can a Pharmacy own Pharmacy benefits providers, oh so they can squash out small business and force their patients to fill @ CVS for lower copays. Better yet how about make them go mail order so now 1 pharmacist can check 2000 scripts a day off of a conveyer belt. Awesome!

RxRube you keep repeating the same tired old lines. Come up with something new. You have conveinently ignored every post I have made that directly counters what you have said. CVS has more in common with Rite Aid than you know. There formewr CEO is in federal prison for illegal, unethical and immoral acts he commited as CEO. Sounds kind of familar doesn't it? It is the same path CVS is heading down. Tom Ryan and his cronies will look good in prison garb.
t's useless to even respond to your wacko comments because you admitted you never even worked for CVS. If you never worked for CVs how the hell do you know how bad it is? You really have too much time on your hands if you never worked for CVS but you are "supposedly" this expert on how bad CVS and how it's destroying retail??? Get Lost and get off the MEDS!!!
Your views and opinions on CVS are as useful as someone boasting to be an expert in swimming but never been in the water.

t's useless to even respond to your wacko comments because you admitted you never even worked for CVS. If you never worked for CVs how the hell do you know how bad it is? You really have too much time on your hands if you never worked for CVS but you are "supposedly" this expert on how bad CVS and how it's destroying retail??? Get Lost and get off the MEDS!!!
Your views and opinions on CVS are as useful as someone boasting to be an expert in swimming but never been in the water.

Exactly the nonsensical response I expected. You have provided a few days of entertainment. You are a funny dude and it has been fun watching everyone make fun of you. Good luck "emerging leader" you are going to need it.

OLD I thank you for giving me more fuel to climb the corporate ladder because it's pharmacist you like that are a cancer to this company. You are a typical OLD fart of a Pharmacist that wants to blast how bad CVS is but you have no problems taking a check from CVS- talk about a freaking hypocrite!!!
You talk all this junk about corporate people being out of touch and ass kisser. Hmmm let me see- you hate the company- you say the programs are bad and "dangerous"- your words paraphrased. I assume you know your supervisor but I bet my last dollars you don't have the audacity or the courage to express your feelings to your boss now do you? I bet when your Supervisor visits your store you are the one that's kissing ass, smiling in his/her face and sniffing their asses huh? Have you ever told your boss that you don' want to participate in any of CVS programs? You are the biggest IDIOT in this forum because you talk about the company as if it's the Great Satan of the Retail Industry but you have no qualms about taking a paycheck from CVS.You are the worst type of individual and I promise you the day I EARN a position as Pharmacy supervisor I will weed out OLD pessimistic grumps like you because you are not a team player and you are the cancer that's killing this company. You are a bad example for any individual who has the desire to make a career out of Pharmacy. You should have retired and gone away when Eckerd's folded and I bet my last dollar you are an OLD Eckerd's reject that is so better because after X amount of years you still have gone no higher than a Staff Pharmacist or a floater and you see a younger, wiser generations just run circles around you because you are a one dimensional Pharmacist that just wants to sit on his ass and do nothing but complain.
You are a joke buddy- you are getting paid a nice generous six figure salary with great benefits and you want to bitch because you think it takes too much of your time to ask a customer if they want ready fill or to contact a customer who hasn't filled his maintenance medications in over 60 days. You my friend are a FRAUD!!!!

OLD I thank you for giving me more fuel to climb the corporate ladder because it's pharmacist you like that are a cancer to this company. You are a typical OLD fart of a Pharmacist that wants to blast how bad CVS is but you have no problems taking a check from CVS- talk about a freaking hypocrite!!!
You talk all this junk about corporate people being out of touch and ass kisser. Hmmm let me see- you hate the company- you say the programs are bad and "dangerous"- your words paraphrased. I assume you know your supervisor but I bet my last dollars you don't have the audacity or the courage to express your feelings to your boss now do you? I bet when your Supervisor visits your store you are the one that's kissing ass, smiling in his/her face and sniffing their asses huh? Have you ever told your boss that you don' want to participate in any of CVS programs? You are the biggest IDIOT in this forum because you talk about the company as if it's the Great Satan of the Retail Industry but you have no qualms about taking a paycheck from CVS.You are the worst type of individual and I promise you the day I EARN a position as Pharmacy supervisor I will weed out OLD pessimistic grumps like you because you are not a team player and you are the cancer that's killing this company. You are a bad example for any individual who has the desire to make a career out of Pharmacy. You should have retired and gone away when Eckerd's folded and I bet my last dollar you are an OLD Eckerd's reject that is so better because after X amount of years you still have gone no higher than a Staff Pharmacist or a floater and you see a younger, wiser generations just run circles around you because you are a one dimensional Pharmacist that just wants to sit on his ass and do nothing but complain.
You are a joke buddy- you are getting paid a nice generous six figure salary with great benefits and you want to bitch because you think it takes too much of your time to ask a customer if they want ready fill or to contact a customer who hasn't filled his maintenance medications in over 60 days. You my friend are a FRAUD!!!!

They called me to refill Fluticasone nasal spray. I was like wtf, I only used it for 2 weeks while I had an infection.

It's not the contacting customers that bothers me, it's the fact that you need to have a certain percentage of customers enrolled into it. And yes it takes too much of our time to contact these customers when you only have 1 or 2 techs/interns. I would want my staff concentrating on one task, not multi-tasking and making mistakes.

If I had 1 tech for the cash register, 1 tech for production, 1 tech for drop off, 1 tech/intern for doctor calls, then yeah I wouldn't mind Readyfill.

Can we all get along?

Last edited:
Hmm... think pharmacy schools need to create a logical thinking class... so their students, once out in the real world, will not link a company's profits with that company being excellent and a great working environment.

I'm a former scientist. I interned at a pharmaceutical company a couple summers in a row. There are smart scientists at pharmaceutical companies, ones that truly want to help develop treatments for people, and there are people there only concerned with profits, whatever moral lines may need to be crossed. Some companies have more of one group than the other. The reason why some pharmaceutical companies are more successful than others depends pretty much on luck with drug development and what business model they happened to choose at a particular time (on a similar theme, grocery delivery after online purchase is working great today, when everyone and their mother shops online, but it wasn't so hot ten years ago).

I gather, since it is people that work at CVS, that there are both people working there that want to help people and those who just care about profits. And some in between. I recognize that, for instance, being the only pharmacy open at night in town might make people go there, people (i.e some of my family members) who work during the night shift and who otherwise might choose another pharmacy. My family members may have like their old pharmacy better, but not getting there in time to pick up prescriptions wasn't good. This means that CVS chose a good business model but one I wouldn't particularly like to work with, as I prefer to sleep at night.

You should like where you work. And you should also understand that businesses exist because they make money. But buying every bit of the corporate nonsense and arguing with people online who disagree with you is either being a really good troll or showing that you're not that intelligent. And when I realized a long time ago that people who buy corporate nonsense also buy a lot of political nonsense, it made the outcomes of elections make a lot more sense...