Please Stop the CVS Bashing!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxnupe

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals I am really getting fed up with all the anti-CVS threads. Let me first say that I have worked for CVS for 6 years. I have previously worked for Albertsons/Sav-On and Walgreens. I am proud to say that CVS is to this point the best company I worked for in my years as a Pharmacist.
Is CVS perfect? NO! Are there some things I don't like about the company? Yes! However, I can say the same about any company. No company is perfect.
Also, if CVS is so bad- why are they still expanding and building more stores and how in the hell did they make over 90 billion in profit if it's a terrible company??? CVS was ranked # 18 in Fortune 500 the next closes Pharmacy chain was Walgreens at # 32.
I work at a CVS that averages roughly 4200 scripts and we are ran very well and rarely do I leave the job frustrated. I have good Pharmacist and good techs as well.
Let;s be realistic- I can find a Walgreens that operates great and can find a Walgreens that operates horribly. It's the people who run the store and the workers you have employed that makes a good store. if you have crappy Pharmacist with crappy Techs you are going to get a crappy store.
I amazed at these so called "CVS" employees who say how bad it is- well last time I checked CVS isn't holding you hostage.
Our merger with Medco's Part D will only help the company grow even more. The fact of the matter is if you work for WalGreens, Rite-Aid, Kroger, Sav-On, Target etc you are going to have your good and bad stores- so don't make it like CVS is this horrible company- if that were the case we wouldn't be #18 on Fortune 500 and we wouldn't be making 100 billion in profit- sorry but to call a company that makes over 90 billion in profit a failure is like calling Miss Universe ugly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last time I checked, there's free speech in the United States.

I think people only complain about the conditions of work place. Making more profit is not the same as having higher quality of employment. In fact, it makes sense when CVS starts to squeeze its employers with all kinds of rules, and regulations and business goals, the quality of life goes down. Standing 8 hours with no break is one of the complaints. "Customers are always right" policy is another. My pharmacist has to say " yes sir, yes mem" even though it is not his fault. You are right about no company is perfect good. No one in this world is perfect anyway. If money makes you happy, then CVS maybe for you. We know not all pharmacists live for money. Those who don't mostly to complain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys/Gals I am really getting fed up with all the anti-CVS threads. Let me first say that I have worked for CVS for 6 years. I have previously worked for Albertsons/Sav-On and Walgreens. I am proud to say that CVS is to this point the best company I worked for in my years as a Pharmacist.
Is CVS perfect? NO! Are there some things I don't like about the company? Yes! However, I can say the same about any company. No company is perfect.
Also, if CVS is so bad- why are they still expanding and building more stores and how in the hell did they make over 90 billion in profit if it's a terrible company??? CVS was ranked # 18 in Fortune 500 the next closes Pharmacy chain was Walgreens at # 32.
I work at a CVS that averages roughly 4200 scripts and we are ran very well and rarely do I leave the job frustrated. I have good Pharmacist and good techs as well.
Let;s be realistic- I can find a Walgreens that operates great and can find a Walgreens that operates horribly. It's the people who run the store and the workers you have employed that makes a good store. if you have crappy Pharmacist with crappy Techs you are going to get a crappy store.
I amazed at these so called "CVS" employees who say how bad it is- well last time I checked CVS isn't holding you hostage.
Our merger with Medco's Part D will only help the company grow even more. The fact of the matter is if you work for WalGreens, Rite-Aid, Kroger, Sav-On, Target etc you are going to have your good and bad stores- so don't make it like CVS is this horrible company- if that were the case we wouldn't be #18 on Fortune 500 and we wouldn't be making 100 billion in profit- sorry but to call a company that makes over 90 billion in profit a failure is like calling Miss Universe ugly.

Don't take it personal. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion including the federal trade commission. :laugh: Jokes aside, people on this forum also go off about Rite Aid and Walgreens. It just seems lately its been more of a CVS bashing.

Retail is retail. Everywhere you go, it is the same either it is CVS, Walgreens or Walmart. CVS is a business so it is going to make you earn every penny.

what does them being high up on a list of net worth or profits have to do with working for the company. of course they're making a **** ton of money... they are cutting back on tech hours and supplies and still expecting the same output (even more with 400 different calls). because they are making a bunch of money doesn't mean it's a fun company to work for; sorry, I just don't see the relation... Of course they're not holding anyone hostage. I for one just quit there!

- so don't make it like CVS is this horrible company- if that were the case we wouldn't be #18 on Fortune 500 and we wouldn't be making 100 billion in profit- sorry but to call a company that makes over 90 billion in profit a failure is like calling Miss Universe ugly.

What does this have to do with anything? I was not aware that a companies ranking on the fortune 500 or the amount of profit it generates was a direct predictor of employees job satisfaction. CVS has demonstrated its willingness to do anything it can to make money including illegal, immoral and unethical behavior. So we should applaud CVS for this? You are a delusional idiot. Using your criteria Enron, Worldcom, Lehman's Brothers and Goldman Sacs are amesome companies.

If you want to brag about being on a list I would wait until your company makes it onto this list.

Foture Magazines Top 100 Companies to Work for 2011
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2011/

I hate to break it to you but 14 hour shifts with no breaks, minimal staff, timers on the drive through, the telephones and the computers is not going to do it. Most people would not consider company provided diapers a perk worthy enough for the list either. Finally being investigated by the Attorney
Generals of 29 states, The Federal Trade Commision and the DEA are not going to help either.

I say to you stop deluding yourself. Pull your head out of your ass. You will find the view is much clearer and that bad smell is not just you but also the crappy company you work for. But hey all is good right? CVS makes alot of money....whatever idiot.

lol what... i think the amount of CVS bashing has actually gone down in the past year or so. hahaha

lol what... i think the amount of CVS bashing has actually gone down in the past year or so. hahaha

Haha, I agree. Seems like it was all we used to hear about. Maybe more people are just thankful for work right now?

Haha, I agree. Seems like it was all we used to hear about. Maybe more people are just thankful for work right now?

Or, as some people say, people are too busy enjoying their lives to complain.

Or, as some people say, people are too busy enjoying their lives to complain.

I take your meaning, but I just meant that perhaps when times are tight people start being a bit more grateful rather than complain-y. I just don't think we hear as much as we used to about how terrible CVS is. Or perhaps we are the proverbial frog in the boiling pot. I don't know, but I like not having the constant complaining.

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS makes me puke...they are terrible for the profession. They make money, so they are good for the profession....????? What a fool.

OP is clearly a CVS drone/robot, it is sad.

MountainPharmD; I hate to break it to you but 14 hour shifts with no breaks, minimal staff, timers on the drive through, the telephones and the computers is not going to do it. Most people would not consider company provided diapers a perk worthy enough for the list either. Finally being investigated by the Attorney
Generals of 29 states, The Federal Trade Commision and the DEA are not going to help either.

I say to you stop deluding yourself. Pull your head out of your ass. You will find the view is much clearer and that bad smell is not just you but also the crappy company you work for. But hey all is good right? CVS makes alot of money....whatever idiot.

I have always wondered why pharmacists can't band together and demand better working conditions? If I could get a 20 minute lunch and just time out of the pharmacy to clear my head, I think I would return for the rest of the shift and be in a good mood and perform my job better. Some days by hour 5 or 6, I'm spent.

I have always wondered why pharmacists can't band together and demand better working conditions? If I could get a 20 minute lunch and just time out of the pharmacy to clear my head, I think I would return for the rest of the shift and be in a good mood and perform my job better. Some days by hour 5 or 6, I'm spent.

I think now more than ever we need to consider unionizing.

Last edited:

I worked for CVS for 5 long dreadful years...Everyday was the same crap...Actually it got worse as the years went by...when i first started, we filled 150 rxs daily...then the eckerd conversion hit one day...I was a new pharmacist and we went from 150 daily to 450-500 daily overnight. Then the programs started...Call this patient, call that patient, blah blah blah...then i moved to a busier store, where the help was mediocre at best...then the hours got cut, but hell we were filling prescriptions...and then i got a new crew in 2008, new partner, new lead tech and we were on fire...beating budget by 200-400 rxs weekly...apparently my bonus, from what i hear was gonna be in the hign 15k-20k range. Then PCI came and we were killing budget, destroying it every week...do you think PCI calls were on my to do list? No, cause we could barely keep up with the pace we were going at....And then the icing on the cake...My DM and Rx supervisor came in to warn me about PCI and that a write up was coming...I was flabbergasted, cause i couldnt believe how greedy this company was...Here we are killing budget, and i know we made them a crap load of money and they still want more from me...at this point i knew i was leaving that company, venturing on my own, but i still worked my rear end off for them to the end...To CVS, I say go effff yourselves and I hope to one day see every executive on an episode of American Greed...Pieces of CACA...

CVS is a terrible company that treats their employees like crap and doesn't care about anything other than the bottom line. Bashing them is entirely appropriate, imho.

CVS is a terrible company that treats their employees like crap and doesn't care about anything other than the bottom line. Bashing them is entirely appropriate, imho.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I worked for CVS for 5 long dreadful years...Everyday was the same crap...Actually it got worse as the years went by...when i first started, we filled 150 rxs daily...then the eckerd conversion hit one day...I was a new pharmacist and we went from 150 daily to 450-500 daily overnight. Then the programs started...Call this patient, call that patient, blah blah blah...then i moved to a busier store, where the help was mediocre at best...then the hours got cut, but hell we were filling prescriptions...and then i got a new crew in 2008, new partner, new lead tech and we were on fire...beating budget by 200-400 rxs weekly...apparently my bonus, from what i hear was gonna be in the hign 15k-20k range. Then PCI came and we were killing budget, destroying it every week...do you think PCI calls were on my to do list? No, cause we could barely keep up with the pace we were going at....And then the icing on the cake...My DM and Rx supervisor came in to warn me about PCI and that a write up was coming...I was flabbergasted, cause i couldnt believe how greedy this company was...Here we are killing budget, and i know we made them a crap load of money and they still want more from me...at this point i knew i was leaving that company, venturing on my own, but i still worked my rear end off for them to the end...To CVS, I say go effff yourselves and I hope to one day see every executive on an episode of American Greed...Pieces of CACA...

You are 100% accurate. I have friends that are being written up for pci calls not done at a certain time on a certain day. Pharmacist overlap is a thing of the past in their area. They rule by fear and intimidation. Write ups, no raises, a DM that comes in and swears at them because the garbage can isn't empty when he came in or the order is not put away. No idea what they do, the fact that 2 techs called off or that the computer has been down. It really is like Jack Welch's 20-70-10 employee policy. Fire some people, write a bunch up to make them afraid they will lose their job. Then they will stay late, come in early or come in on their day off for free to get things caught up to keep their job. Working under these conditions leads to more med errors which CVS doesnt care about. Stores in their area that have good triple s scores are the ones that take the survey receipts to the bar and have their friends call them in. Oversupply of pharms will make it worse if thats possible. I really feel bad for the kids coming out of school with no where else to go for a job(if they get one). They are usually all excited for a year or 2 and then reality sets in.

I wanna know who the **** comes up with these bull**** programs like PCI, Readyfill, Generics, etc. Is it a bunch of executives in a room sitting around thinking of ways to make pharmacists lives miserable? What happened to just filling the scripts the patient brings in, and if the patient doesn't want to be compliant, let them be.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wanna know who the **** comes up with these bull**** programs like PCI, Readyfill, Generics, etc. Is it a bunch of executives in a room sitting around thinking of ways to make pharmacists lives miserable? What happened to just filling the scripts the patient brings in, and if the patient doesn't want to be compliant, let them be.

They are programs developed to maximize profit. Oh also they were designed to have everyone not meet their dumb standards so they can potentially fire any pharmacist at any time they want.

Well let me first say this if you think any other company doesn't compare about bottom line than you are an idiot. Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Wal-Mart and the other big chains are in the business to make money- of course Wal-Mart and Target and the other Grocery chains with Pharmacies inside in them have departments that make more money, but wake up people these are public traded company they have to keep stock holders happy- so yes they are going to look at bottom line. The programs like PCI, Ready Fill(Don't blast CVS for that program Walgreens had it many years before CVS) these are programs to keep customers on their meds and coming back.
I guess some of you expect to only do 500 scripts a week and have like 250 tech hours where you guys/gals can stand around and do nothing or text on your phones. Sorry it's not going to happen.
I can't speak for all stores but I do roughly 4100 scripts a week- I previously had 415 tech hours but I got cut down to 390 techs- was I happy? NO! but it sure as Hell wasn't the end of the world so I take my 390 hours and do the best I can with what is given to me- I am not going to complain and bitch about it- script still have to be filled.
Now, I know there are some stores who perhaps cutting back on hours drastically effects customer service do you guys think that if you walk into a Walgreens they are always going to be fully staffed? I have 2 Walgreens and 2 Wal-Marts within a 5 mile radius- and I rarely lose any scripts to either one of them.
I will admit that in todays Retail world it's very difficult to give the consumer the time they need because ALL the chains are concerned more so about making Money than customer care- the reason being is that all these chains operate to make profit.

sp you are saying Walgreens doesn't care about profit??? Hmmm interesting I didn't know that- I guess Walgreens doesn't care if their stocks fall they only care about how the customer is doing???

What does this have to do with anything? I was not aware that a companies ranking on the fortune 500 or the amount of profit it generates was a direct predictor of employees job satisfaction. CVS has demonstrated its willingness to do anything it can to make money including illegal, immoral and unethical behavior. So we should applaud CVS for this? You are a delusional idiot. Using your criteria Enron, Worldcom, Lehman's Brothers and Goldman Sacs are amesome companies.

If you want to brag about being on a list I would wait until your company makes it onto this list.

I hate to break it to you but 14 hour shifts with no breaks, minimal staff, timers on the drive through, the telephones and the computers is not going to do it. Most people would not consider company provided diapers a perk worthy enough for the list either. Finally being investigated by the Attorney

What does it have to do with it???? You name me one company that went out of business that was ranked in the top 20 in Fortune 500? If CVS made 90 billion in profit where do you think that money came from? CONSUMERS!!!! HELLO!!!! You don't make 90 billion in profit and than tell me that the average consumer hates CVS. Sure you are going to have people that hate going to CVS, but it's obvious if they made 90 billion in profit that they are attracting consumers from somewhere? If it were as bad as you make it out to be then why was over 90 billion spent with the company? Am I missing something were these consumers held at gun point and forced to shop at CVS??? Almost every CVS had a competitor nearby are all these people getting scripts filled at CVS forced to go there? Botom line for the millionth time- you can't make 90 billion in profit and then tell me the company is horrible especially when 85% of CVS revenue is generated from the Pharmacy so we must be do something right if not we would be Rite Aid- hmmmm how much profit did Rite Aid make last year??? Wal-Greens made 65 billion in profit- 25 billion less than CVS- so whose heading in the right direction and who isn't? The Walgreens in my area have a hiring freeze for goodness sakes.

^^the problem with your logic is that if a company's goal is to make money, then it's justified and accepted. If med error is public record then cvs would quickly change its tone.

What does it have to do with it???? You name me one company that went out of business that was ranked in the top 20 in Fortune 500? If CVS made 90 billion in profit where do you think that money came from? CONSUMERS!!!! HELLO!!!! You don't make 90 billion in profit and than tell me that the average consumer hates CVS. Sure you are going to have people that hate going to CVS, but it's obvious if they made 90 billion in profit that they are attracting consumers from somewhere? If it were as bad as you make it out to be then why was over 90 billion spent with the company? Am I missing something were these consumers held at gun point and forced to shop at CVS??? Almost every CVS had a competitor nearby are all these people getting scripts filled at CVS forced to go there? Botom line for the millionth time- you can't make 90 billion in profit and then tell me the company is horrible especially when 85% of CVS revenue is generated from the Pharmacy so we must be do something right if not we would be Rite Aid- hmmmm how much profit did Rite Aid make last year??? Wal-Greens made 65 billion in profit- 25 billion less than CVS- so whose heading in the right direction and who isn't? The Walgreens in my area have a hiring freeze for goodness sakes.

what does attracting consumers have anything to do with it being a ****ty company to work for? I don't care how much they make or why, they still suck ass to work for

by the way the fact that you quoted a linked to the best or rather top 100 companies to work for in 2011- what was your purpose? There wasn't any Retail chain on that list. You posted that link as if Walgreens-Target and Rite-Aid were all these great companies that made the list. Also, the last time I checked Walgreens had to "work" in their break- the only company I know that shuts down 30 minutes at a designated time for lunch i Wal-Mart. Also 14 hour shifts???? First off- CVS allows Pharmacist to make own schedule- no one is forced to work 14 hours unless those team members agree upon that schedule- so that's another useless point you made.
You know what if you take a survey and ask people what Football, Basketball, and Baseball teams they hate the most or love to hate- you know what answers you will get: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankess, Boston Celtics and L.A Lakers- do you know what all those teams have in common??? They all proven winners with many championships- this is no different in retail- people seem to hate the company that is doing the best- 10 years ago walgreens was the Great Satan- now that CVS has surpassed WalGreens in nearly every business facet everyone needs a new enemy to point their fingers at, but keep hating I am happy- I love my store- I love my customers and your words will not affect me.

so we must be do something right .[/QUOTE said:
"So WE must be doing something right" So, you think you are one with them, part of the team, going places, climbing the ladder, they like you and you like them etc? I have no doubt you love your customers, love the people you work for and maybe even the delivery driver. I hope you don't really think CVS cares about you, do you? As soon as your scores drop or someone comes along that will take less $ or is cuter they will write you up etc just like everyone else has experienced. I think if you had worked somewhere else without PCI,everything timed etc where the focus is one the patient you may understand better.

"So WE must be doing something right" So, you think you are one with them, part of the team, going places, climbing the ladder, they like you and you like them etc? I have no doubt you love your customers, love the people you work for and maybe even the delivery driver. I hope you don't really think CVS cares about you, do you? As soon as your scores drop or someone comes along that will take less $ or is cuter they will write you up etc just like everyone else has experienced. I think if you had worked somewhere else without PCI,everything timed etc where the focus is one the patient you may understand better.
Old look I don't know what problem you had in your story, but it doesn't apply to me. I have worked hard and moved up the ladder based on my performance. I inherited a challenged store that had a Triple S around 78 and it was a pure mess. 5 years later my store's rolling 6 month Triple S is a 91. Yes there are things that CVS implements that I think are very hard to achieve- yes I think there some things CVS can do to make it better, but my overall experience is the good outweighs the bad. Trust me I have friends who work for all the major Retail chains and they all have their own pet peeves and issues. I think most of the bashing that CVS takes you can find at any of the major retail companies. There are many Walgreens that are poorly staffed- I know the one near me is very poorly staff- in fact there main tech now works at my store and he told me some horror stories of how he had to work 3 different areas at one time. Every chain has their issues- I am pretty sure there are some WalGreens that run smoothly and have great work atmospheres, but you guys act like every CVS in the country as these major issues and that's just not true.

^^the problem with your logic is that if a company's goal is to make money, then it's justified and accepted. If med error is public record then cvs would quickly change its tone.
No sir I am not saying that- of course Walgreens, CVS, and Wal-Mart are in the business to make money that's a non brainer and can't be disputed- these are not non- profit organizations or companies, however, I am not suggesting that because you are in it to make money that you treat employees like crap. I assume you work or have worked for CVS- if they didn't care about employee or customer satisfaction then what's the purpose of Triple S? You act like CVS is the only company that has these issue- this is RETAIL for goodness sakes!!!

Sparda you need to learn a lot before you leave Pharmacy school. Why the hell do you want to become a Pharmacist if you could care les if the patient is compliant or not? Why should an ER doctor try to save someones life if he or she is a gang banger??? She the ER doctor just say it's there fault they got shot? Why should an MD even see patients who have Type 2 diabetes or who is obese- should the doctor just say "the hell with them" they should have lost weight or eaten a better diet? Why do you think MD's write prescriptions and put refills on them? One day if you are fortunate enough to graduate you will know that every Pharmacist takes an oathe to the field of Pharmacy. Do you think Doctors want patients to be compliant Yes or No?
I find it very scary that you are in Pharmacy school and you seem to think it's not important if a patient is compliant or not- geez good luck to the Pharmacy chain that hires you.

No sir I am not saying that- of course Walgreens, CVS, and Wal-Mart are in the business to make money that's a non brainer and can't be disputed- these are not non- profit organizations or companies, however, I am not suggesting that because you are in it to make money that you treat employees like crap. I assume you work or have worked for CVS- if they didn't care about employee or customer satisfaction then what's the purpose of Triple S? You act like CVS is the only company that has these issue- this is RETAIL for goodness sakes!!!

Cvs does seem like a bad company from what I read on here and in the news.

Well let me first say this if you think any other company doesn't compare about bottom line than you are an idiot. Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Wal-Mart and the other big chains are in the business to make money- of course Wal-Mart and Target and the other Grocery chains with Pharmacies inside in them have departments that make more money, but wake up people these are public traded company they have to keep stock holders happy- so yes they are going to look at bottom line. The programs like PCI, Ready Fill(Don't blast CVS for that program Walgreens had it many years before CVS) these are programs to keep customers on their meds and coming back.
I guess some of you expect to only do 500 scripts a week and have like 250 tech hours where you guys/gals can stand around and do nothing or text on your phones. Sorry it's not going to happen.
I can't speak for all stores but I do roughly 4100 scripts a week- I previously had 415 tech hours but I got cut down to 390 techs- was I happy? NO! but it sure as Hell wasn't the end of the world so I take my 390 hours and do the best I can with what is given to me- I am not going to complain and bitch about it- script still have to be filled.
Now, I know there are some stores who perhaps cutting back on hours drastically effects customer service do you guys think that if you walk into a Walgreens they are always going to be fully staffed? I have 2 Walgreens and 2 Wal-Marts within a 5 mile radius- and I rarely lose any scripts to either one of them.
I will admit that in todays Retail world it's very difficult to give the consumer the time they need because ALL the chains are concerned more so about making Money than customer care- the reason being is that all these chains operate to make profit.

I expect to have enough time to relax and mess around while I'm there.

Old look I don't know what problem you had in your story, but it doesn't apply to me. I have worked hard and moved up the ladder based on my performance. I inherited a challenged store that had a Triple S around 78 and it was a pure mess. 5 years later my store's rolling 6 month Triple S is a 91. Yes there are things that CVS implements that I think are very hard to achieve- yes I think there some things CVS can do to make it better, but my overall experience is the good outweighs the bad. Trust me I have friends who work for all the major Retail chains and they all have their own pet peeves and issues. I think most of the bashing that CVS takes you can find at any of the major retail companies. There are many Walgreens that are poorly staffed- I know the one near me is very poorly staff- in fact there main tech now works at my store and he told me some horror stories of how he had to work 3 different areas at one time. Every chain has their issues- I am pretty sure there are some WalGreens that run smoothly and have great work atmospheres, but you guys act like every CVS in the country as these major issues and that's just not true.

I am sure you are correct in that every chain has its problems. People here voice their opinions about the experiences they had in their lifetime.
some stores are better staffed than others as far as how competent the techs are etc. I really think it may make a HUGE difference depending on which area/region/district you are in. If the regional manager has no respect for people the region will reflect his personality.

Having said that, what ladder have you climbed? You are still in a store.
Right? PIC maybe- the job nobody really wants. triple S is good- great. What part of triple is involves patient care? How fast you went, Extra care scan rates, calling people by name. granted it has been a little while since I was in college but I really doubt that was in your curriculum. what part of this involves patient care? PCI and patient compliance. Calling people who got an ibuprofen or nasonex 6 months ago and never got it refilled since it was a PRN is part of patient compliance. these programs are designed to get people in the store. Just like all the ready fill calls to people when the rx's aren't even scheduled to be filled yet. My friend , these are only designed to get people in the store as many times as they can in hopes they will buy something-anything. its not about their health- its about money, otherwise they would give ample help and overlap to consel patients and really help them. You have listened to the corporate spin to much. sit down and really think about the best ways to really help people, talk to them and spend time with them etc. Now look at CVs policy and hour cuts and the other items- Dude - its all about money. good luck on your ladder climbing .

by the way the fact that you quoted a linked to the best or rather top 100 companies to work for in 2011- what was your purpose?

My purpose was to show you a list that means something. Being in the Fortune 500 doesn't mean you work for a great company. It means you work for a compnay that is worth alot and makes alot of money. If it does this by illegal, unethical and immoral means such as CVS then I do not think you have anything to be proud of.

Wegmans's is on the list. It is a regional grocery store chain with a pharmacy.

I would rather work for a privately held company and get stocks. Then have the company go IPO or get bought.

My purpose was to show you a list that means something. Being in the Fortune 500 doesn't mean you work for a great company. It means you work for a compnay that is worth alot and makes alot of money. If it does this by illegal, unethical and immoral means such as CVS then I do not think you have anything to be proud of.

Wegmans's is on the list. It is a regional grocery store chain with a pharmacy.

The only people I have met who did NOT say CVS was their worst employer were those who have never worked for anyone else and thus could not compare. :D

Though I would say even CVS probably beats my first job, which was a customer service rep in an inbound call center for now long-defunct cell phone company. Back in the day when everything outside your city was roaming, 20 bucks a month got you 20 minutes, and half the people didn't know how to check their voicemail. After three and a half months in that hell, I though that retail chain pharmacy was awesome, and pharmacy customers were the nicest people ever. :D

The only people I have met who did NOT say CVS was their worst employer were those who have never worked for anyone else and thus could not compare. :D

Though I would say even CVS probably beats my first job, which was a customer service rep in an inbound call center for now long-defunct cell phone company. Back in the day when everything outside your city was roaming, 20 bucks a month got you 20 minutes, and half the people didn't know how to check their voicemail. After three and a half months in that hell, I though that retail chain pharmacy was awesome, and pharmacy customers were the nicest people ever. :D

My least favorite job was working for Radioshack. One of the reasons I left Radioshack was because I didn't like the idea of "selling" or "promoting" products. Went to CVS, and these programs started, and there I was again having to "sell" or "promote" ideas.

What does it have to do with it???? You name me one company that went out of business that was ranked in the top 20 in Fortune 500? If CVS made 90 billion in profit where do you think that money came from? CONSUMERS!!!! HELLO!!!! You don't make 90 billion in profit and than tell me that the average consumer hates CVS. .

Seriously? Do you think there hasn't been a Fortune 500 company in the top 20 that has gone out of business? You really are dense arn't you?

No problem. Here is a short list that took me 5 minutes to find via Google.
These are small companies I am sure you have never heard of.

Enron Corp. Fortune 500 ranking in 2001 NUMBER 5. Biggest corporate bankruptcy in U.S. history

General Motors spent decades in the top 5 on the Fortune 500 and many years at number 1. The fourth largest bankruptcy in American History.

Chrysler forced into bankrupty in 2009. Highest Fortune 500 ranking number 7in 1998.

There's a Facebook group titled "I Hate CVS".

Seriously? Do you think there hasn't been a Fortune 500 company in the top 20 that has gone out of business? You really are dense arn't you?

No problem. Here is a short list that took me 5 minutes to find via Google.
These are small companies I am sure you have never heard of.

Enron Corp. Fortune 500 ranking in 2001 NUMBER 5. Biggest corporate bankruptcy in U.S. history

General Motors spent decades in the top 5 on the Fortune 500 and many years at number 1. The fourth largest bankruptcy in American History.

Chrysler forced into bankrupty in 2009. Highest Fortune 500 ranking number 7in 1998.

Just curious where you work mountain?

I have had 10 years with CVS... You are a prime example of corporate brainwashing. No discussion there. And before you question my ability or integrity, I have an excellent reputation as a pharmacist in both my knowledge and ability to work in an understaffed store (No thank you CVS).
I couldn't have put it any better myself. Yes, it has changed a lot over the last 10 years. Increased volume is fine, but cutting staff to both appease your stock holders and swallow other businesses is stupid and dangerous.

See my last point.
Because they have lots of money and they keep swallowing other businesses at the expense of hard working pharmacists that work for them.
Actually they are indirectly holding me hostage... If you are intern and even think about saying "I have to think about signing.." You are terminated immediately. By owning basically all of the local retail pharmacies in the DC area, I cannot go work for anyone else. There are no options for me. Oh and yes I am applying to every place that will look at my resume to get away. If I could work for say Target (lunch breaks are nice), or another competitor where I didn't double as a telemarketer I would gladly go.
An employee survey goes out yearly to see how they feel about the company. I suggest you contact your DM and ask to see the results. I would love to see if he/she shows it to you. I know that they won't, and if they do a lot of excuses will follow. Ask for the Employee Engagement survey to be specific.
You left out our pending suits with the government regarding unfair business practices when we merged with Caremark.
Interesting thought but more CVS pharmacists are unhappy than our counterparts from Walgreens, Riteaid, Target, Safeway, Costco, Giant, Kaiser, local independents....

So in answer to your plea to stop... I politely and firmly decline.

I am sure you are correct in that every chain has its problems. People here voice their opinions about the experiences they had in their lifetime.
some stores are better staffed than others as far as how competent the techs are etc. I really think it may make a HUGE difference depending on which area/region/district you are in. If the regional manager has no respect for people the region will reflect his personality.

Having said that, what ladder have you climbed? You are still in a store.
Right? PIC maybe- the job nobody really wants. triple S is good- great. What part of triple is involves patient care? How fast you went, Extra care scan rates, calling people by name. granted it has been a little while since I was in college but I really doubt that was in your curriculum. what part of this involves patient care? PCI and patient compliance. Calling people who got an ibuprofen or nasonex 6 months ago and never got it refilled since it was a PRN is part of patient compliance. these programs are designed to get people in the store. Just like all the ready fill calls to people when the rx's aren't even scheduled to be filled yet. My friend , these are only designed to get people in the store as many times as they can in hopes they will buy something-anything. its not about their health- its about money, otherwise they would give ample help and overlap to consel patients and really help them. You have listened to the corporate spin to much. sit down and really think about the best ways to really help people, talk to them and spend time with them etc. Now look at CVs policy and hour cuts and the other items- Dude - its all about money. good luck on your ladder climbing .
OLD I agree with you that the industy has changed- YES it's more so about the money than patient care and I attribute that because Retail has become a for profit business- yes any time you are in the health field and you are worried more about profit than overall health you are going to have this issue. This is the whole things that's wrong with the health care industry overall because it's profit driven. However, this applies to all the major retail chains. Old you surely don't think Walgreens on the business level operates differently?? At one time Walgreens didn't accept or participate in gift cards for new or transferred prescriptions- now they do.
Old you sound like you are very Old- no pun intended- disgruntled Pharmacist and don't want to accept the new practice- I have seen many Pharmacist like you who just want to sit in one spot and just verify all day- you are too good to answer the phone- you don't consider yourself a tech so you won't type- you could care less if the whole Queue goes red that fit you don't it? Old if you don't like it just quit, retire or open up your own Pharmacy and run it the way you like.
Oh what has the company done for me and what ladders have I climbed- Yes I am a P.I.C- big deal huh? However, in my district i am one other Pharmacist out of a pool of over 100 was selected to participate in an emerging leader program which I am proudly going through and quite frankly have learned a lot more about the business side. Also, what's the big issue about being in a store? I know some former Pharmacy Supervisors who didn't like that side of the business and returned to a store willingly. So just because you are out of the tore doesn't make it any better- actually I know quite a few Supervisors and trust me their job is a living hell.
OlD, I don't know what state you work in, but I can be certain that you are making a very nice six figure salary and last I checked CVS benefits and 401 K are very good- so why the hell are you complaining.
OLD i guess you want it where you have unlimited tech hours- low script volume and you can bring in your magazine and read all day and still get paid top dollar? Honestly, I started working for Sav On and on a busy week we did about 800 scripts a week- I do that on any given Monday alone and to be honest I would not even want to go back to a low volume read a magazine all day type store. Old have you expressed your dissatisfaction with your Pharmacy Supervisor or DM? Better yet, what ideas or suggestions do you have? You don't like Ready Fills right? So tell me how does any Pharmacy stay in business if customers just come once and are never seen again? So what if every Doctos office didn't get repeat patients? What if any business never got repeat customers? Also, there are a lot of customers at lest at my store who like Ready Fill

OLD I agree with you that the industy has changed- YES it's more so about the money than patient care and I attribute that because Retail has become a for profit business- yes any time you are in the health field and you are worried more about profit than overall health you are going to have this issue. This is the whole things that's wrong with the health care industry overall because it's profit driven. However, this applies to all the major retail chains. Old you surely don't think Walgreens on the business level operates differently?? At one time Walgreens didn't accept or participate in gift cards for new or transferred prescriptions- now they do.
Old you sound like you are very Old- no pun intended- disgruntled Pharmacist and don't want to accept the new practice- I have seen many Pharmacist like you who just want to sit in one spot and just verify all day- you are too good to answer the phone- you don't consider yourself a tech so you won't type- you could care less if the whole Queue goes red that fit you don't it? Old if you don't like it just quit, retire or open up your own Pharmacy and run it the way you like.
Oh what has the company done for me and what ladders have I climbed- Yes I am a P.I.C- big deal huh? However, in my district i am one other Pharmacist out of a pool of over 100 was selected to participate in an emerging leader program which I am proudly going through and quite frankly have learned a lot more about the business side. Also, what's the big issue about being in a store? I know some former Pharmacy Supervisors who didn't like that side of the business and returned to a store willingly. So just because you are out of the tore doesn't make it any better- actually I know quite a few Supervisors and trust me their job is a living hell.
OlD, I don't know what state you work in, but I can be certain that you are making a very nice six figure salary and last I checked CVS benefits and 401 K are very good- so why the hell are you complaining.
OLD i guess you want it where you have unlimited tech hours- low script volume and you can bring in your magazine and read all day and still get paid top dollar? Honestly, I started working for Sav On and on a busy week we did about 800 scripts a week- I do that on any given Monday alone and to be honest I would not even want to go back to a low volume read a magazine all day type store. Old have you expressed your dissatisfaction with your Pharmacy Supervisor or DM? Better yet, what ideas or suggestions do you have? You don't like Ready Fills right? So tell me how does any Pharmacy stay in business if customers just come once and are never seen again? So what if every Doctos office didn't get repeat patients? What if any business never got repeat customers? Also, there are a lot of customers at lest at my store who like Ready Fill

Ready fill- Good program for those who WANT it. Mandates come down from DM to sign everyone up whether they want it or not so they can hit their required % and get their bonus. Can you honestly tell me that the senior citizens or mentally disabled people aren't picking up rx's that the doctor changed the dose or they no longer take because CVS called them and told them they have an RX to pickup?? There is no way for pharmacists to know any changes. ||||So tell me how does any Pharmacy stay in business if customers just come once and are never seen again?||||| So its about money-nice that you agree. Not in your curriculum?? Not patient safety?

Am I the kind of pharmacist that will only stand , verify and not do anything else? Your youth and may I say ignorance is showing. Years ago the pharms took out the trash, answered the phone, swept the sidewalk, unloaded trucks and everything that needed to be done. We were not put on a pedestal nor were we "Doctors" driving a hummer. I have done more of the nonpharmacist work than you can imagine and still do. You see, I don't think I walk on water nor do I drive a hummer. Besides at CVS , when you are the only pharm there doing 500 or so rx's in a day, what is it you are doing? Out front facing and dusting. Maybe sitting down and couseling each patient with every new rx?? Seriously?

You seem defensive and concerned that being a supervisor may be hell and how alot of people want to go back into a store. Maybe its not for you. Nothing to be embarassed about. I question the 100 applicants for the emerging leader program in your region/area. I have yet to talk to any pharm young or old that wanted any part of it. Maybe 100 pharms employed in the area? 100 pharms would be both pharms in 50 stores want to advance with CVS?

I don't think myself or anyone else wants to go to a store and read magazines. We are angry that having everything timed(phone , drive thru, wait times etc), ready fill(filing rxs people don't take any more which results in people taking the wrong meds). Timed tasks make you hurry unecessarily and risk errors(you should understand). If you have worked the bench you cannot deny that NONE of these programs are good for peoples health, they result in errors or even death. But, it gets money in register. The anger comes from this. Never in my curriculum. Yours?

Having said this, I hope your career goes in the direction you want it to.

OLD I agree with you that the industy has changed- YES it's more so about the money than patient care and I attribute that because Retail has become a for profit business- yes any time you are in the health field and you are worried more about profit than overall health you are going to have this issue. This is the whole things that's wrong with the health care industry overall because it's profit driven. However, this applies to all the major retail chains. Old you surely don't think Walgreens on the business level operates differently??

You have done a poor job arguing for CVS. You have made no valid points. You admit you are part of thier emerging brainwashed fools program. The only consistant thing you have rambled on about is how Walgreens does the same crappy things CVS does only CVS does it better so it is okay. I am glad you are happy with retail pharmacy being all about money and zero about patient care. You should move right up the ladder with CVS. Providing the ladder is still there for you and not in a federal prison somewhere like RiteAid's former CEO.

You go ahead and keep on trucking emerging leader. Do not forget the timers and make sure you meet all your metrics because that is what is important.....answering the phone in 10 seconds or the drive through in 15.....thats what is important.

The 14 hour shift thing is a lie. Stores that dont have the 3rd overlap pharmacist have to work 14 hour shifts. My store is a perfect example. The pharmacy is open 88 hours and there are 2 pharmacists. The only way to avoid working a 14 hour shift would be to work 6 days a week.