This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Philosopher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I was wondering if someone would please explain to me the NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners) CBSE (Comprehensive Basic Science Examination) that is required for applying to OMFS. Looking on SDN, I realized that some call it NBME while others call it CBSE. Some have posted a link that shows the content of the NBME, but it seems to go into too great of detail for a dental student who would apply to an omfs residency program. Here's the link: http://www.nbme.org/pdf/SubjectExams/SE_ContentOutlineandSampleItems.pdf

So I was wondering if the CBSE is actually one part of the NBME that OMFS applicants are required to take (and not the other contents listed in the link, such as adult ambulatory medicine, comprehensive clinical science, etc).

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm trying to learn about this early, and the posts were slightly confusing.

If anyone can give me a quick rundown of the NBME CBSE (what is it exactly, what is the max score, what is a great score, when do you take it, how do you study for it, etc), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings,

I was wondering if someone would please explain to me the NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners) CBSE (Comprehensive Basic Science Examination) that is required for applying to OMFS. Looking on SDN, I realized that some call it NBME while others call it CBSE. Some have posted a link that shows the content of the NBME, but it seems to go into too great of detail for a dental student who would apply to an omfs residency program. Here's the link: http://www.nbme.org/pdf/SubjectExams/SE_ContentOutlineandSampleItems.pdf

So I was wondering if the CBSE is actually one part of the NBME that OMFS applicants are required to take (and not the other contents listed in the link, such as adult ambulatory medicine, comprehensive clinical science, etc).

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm trying to learn about this early, and the posts were slightly confusing.

If anyone can give me a quick rundown of the NBME CBSE (what is it exactly, what is the max score, what is a great score, when do you take it, how do you study for it, etc), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
NBME CBSE
what it is: refer to pg 98 on your link
max score: 95
great score >80 (for dental students applying OMFS)
score you need to break to be considered for 6yr >68
avg score by dental students: mid to high 50s
when do you take it: take it whenever you are ready and as many times as you want but hopefully before you apply to residencies :)
how you study for it: use what med students use to study for USMLE step I; refer to other threads for this info.
hope this helps
good luck

Reactions: 1 user
NBME administers 3 steps of USMLE that are required for a medical license.
Similarly NBDE administers two parts of dental licensing exam.

NBME also offers a shortened version of USMLE Step 1, that is CBSE, which some medical schools use to gauge students' preparedness for Step 1. Or in case of OMFS residencies, they use it as an entrance exam. Nice thing about it is that you can take it as many times as you want, but it's only offered twice a year, and they will report your highest score only (this is very much unlike actual Step 1 which med students can only retake if they fail it). Med students take it at the end of their 2nd year.

A score of ~65 would correspond to the passing score on USMLE, and that should be your target score for residency programs (according to a quick search of this forum).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users