PhD/MBA program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out about these types of joint programs where you earn a PhD in some type of science, and also get an MBA. Can anyone tell me the advantages of doing this, rather than only getting a PhD? Also, what type of jobs would a person with a PhD/MBA be qualified for that a Phd only or MBA only person would not be as qualified for? Thanks for the help, i hope i posted this in the right forum.

Members don't see this ad.

I know many people who have a PhD/MBA or even a PhD/MPH. I'm not sure that they got them at the same time, but whether you're an MD, a PharmD, a DDS/DMD, or a PhD, that MBA can be very helpful if you leverage it properly.

First, you have tremendous networking opportunities when you pursue an MBA. I've seen this first-hand and I can tell you that it's invaluable.

Second, the MBA can be focused in particular areas (such as healthcare management). Or, perhaps you're an entrepreneur and you'll want to start your own business as a PhD/MBA.

As you plan your long-term career path, you need to be the judge about the value of an MBA. You can always get an MBA later, and that's personally what I would suggest. Get some working experience, map out your long-term career path, and then create short-term and medium-term goals.