PharmD/PhD Dual Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randomwerks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to a great school for their PharmD. program, but I am as passionate about doing PhD research as I am about the PharmD. Can anyone shed some light on the job prospects for a PharmD/PhD as opposed to just a PharmD? Is there a special niche for people with dual degrees? Can we utilize both degrees in our future jobs? 8 years minimum to do both degrees is a very, very long time. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to a great school for their PharmD. program, but I am as passionate about doing PhD research as I am about the PharmD. Can anyone shed some light on the job prospects for a PharmD/PhD as opposed to just a PharmD? Is there a special niche for people with dual degrees? Can we utilize both degrees in our future jobs? 8 years minimum to do both degrees is a very, very long time. Thanks.

A PharmD/PhD Dual degree is supposed to make the time to obtain both degrees shorter. If you get accepted into the combined program at your school, it should only take about 6 years to obtain both degrees, unless you want to do it separately, then it'll take longer.

Job prospects is just as you already said yourself. PharmD/PhD lets you do PhD research as well as clinical or community pharmacy or you can teach.

6 years?? I was under the impression that it was 8 years minimum! 6 years seems way too short. And from what I gather, people can go into academia or research with just the PharmD. What is the advantage of earning that second doctorate?

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD is more research oriented. PharmD/PhD Combined Program makes it so that you can finish both degrees in approximately 6 years, but I think it's year round? I'm not sure.

At UCSF it is estimated 8 years to finish both degrees. There is no way to shorten the PharmD with their very regimented curriculum. But you can save time where courses satisfy both degree requirements. Keep in mind 4 years for a PhD may have been the norm decades ago but in life sciences the median is 6 years to finish.

At UCSF it is estimated 8 years to finish both degrees. There is no way to shorten the PharmD with their very regimented curriculum. But you can save time where courses satisfy both degree requirements. Keep in mind 4 years for a PhD may have been the norm decades ago but in life sciences the median is 6 years to finish.

When making a decision, I've assumed doing both degrees will take me 8-9 years. Perhaps 10. I'm currently emailing my intended school to acquire more information on their joint degree program, but from your experience, does it take most people 8 years or longer? Do they cover the cost of the PharmD. like they do for the medical school part for MD/PhD? Thanks.

NO, the pharmD is not covered at all, but the PhD is free usually. IN med school, both degrees are paid for.

IN order to conduct research for a large pharmaceutical company, you will definitely need the PhD to be in pharmacokinetics / pharmacuetical sciences.

You may need the knowledge from the PharmD to be able to conduct research at the PhD level.

Many students in the PhD program are foreign students who did the bachelor of science in pharmacy in their country which is the same as in the US minus the clinical rotations. But it is even better preparation taking the bachelors in the other country since it is more basic science based and less clinical.

If you want job as a researcher in a pharmaceutical company, you will most likely need to get the PhD with research in Pharmacokinetics.

Perhaps if you want to do this and become a principal investigator (PI), maybe you should try to apply to medical school instead, MD/PhD, since your MD would be paid for!

The MD's will always get more respect, I think in a pharmaceutical company over the PharmD's. But maybe I am wrong.

From my experience, PharmDs in academia generally teach courses more along the lines of "pharmacy practice" and "therapeutics." PhDs generally teach the "pharmaceutical science" class like med chem, kinetics, etc.

Well, beyond that is there any benefit to the dual degree route? Im VERY surprised they wont pay for the pharmD part like they do for MD/PhD.

From my experience, PharmDs in academia generally teach courses more along the lines of "pharmacy practice" and "therapeutics." PhDs generally teach the "pharmaceutical science" class like med chem, kinetics, etc.

Well, beyond that is there any benefit to the dual degree route? Im VERY surprised they wont pay for the pharmD part like they do for MD/PhD.

It can be more difficult to find a PhD job, so you can work as a pharmacist until one opens up. Better job security. Also, being a pharmacy trained researcher means you will have a very good knowledge base about drugs that would make you ahead of other beginning grad students in pharmaceutics, med chem, etc.