Now there are online only PharmD degrees....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaSex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just saw this on Facebook and had to share. This is a reputable school as well. This profession is so ****ed...

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• FB0737E6-315A-4C2D-9395-6EC3A7334B90.jpeg
    FB0737E6-315A-4C2D-9395-6EC3A7334B90.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 256
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Just saw this on Facebook and had to share. This is a reputable school as well. This profession is so ****ed...
Not just online. Now some established programs encourage students to personalize your PharmD. with another degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean they are not online programs. It is just dual degree programs landing students in more debt. It is scary that Wegmans school of pharmacy offers online degree
University of Kentucky has a number of masters you can get with a pharmD. I like their selection a lot. I think they use to have a PharmD / PA degree but I don’t see it currently listed

They sound like they are proud to be the first and to be able to waive PCAT.
F*** those f******.
They have no integrity and know no shame.

Reputable? Looks like a diploma mill to me.
I'm from the area. Everyone seems to consider university at buffalo to be a pretty good school but Wegmans routinely posts higher naplex and MPJE pass rates. I don't think it justifies the >40k/yr tuition but I wouldn't call them a diploma mill.

I'm from the area. Everyone seems to consider university at buffalo to be a pretty good school but Wegmans routinely posts higher naplex and MPJE pass rates. I don't think it justifies the >40k/yr tuition but I wouldn't call them a diploma mill.
Per what I can find, Wegmans is ranked #90 as a pharmacy school and was the "7th best school in NY" in 2018. How does this not qualify the school to be a diploma mill?

So they have optional PCAT and minimum GPA of 2.75 to apply... I can't wait to see these new "doctors" graduate with those flashy degrees and give a whole story about how tough it was through social media.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So they have optional PCAT and minimum GPA of 2.75 to apply... I can't wait to see these new "doctors" graduate with those flashy degrees and give a whole story about how tough it was through social media.
Technically even the established public schools of pharmacy made PCAT optional like UNC, UGA, and AU

Reactions: 1 users
Per what I can find, Wegmans is ranked #90 as a pharmacy school and was the "7th best school in NY" in 2018. How does this not qualify the school to be a diploma mill?
It must be one of those liberal arts colleges that want to create a pharmacy school for profit. Like Creighton.

Technically even the established public schools of pharmacy made PCAT optional like UNC, UGA, and AU

Yep. Starts with one school then it becomes a standard to attract more applicants. Sad af

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t this school have a different name ten years ago? I’m too lazy to google.

Who came up with the rankings? And how? I tend to dismiss any of those lists.

Do you have any criteria for calling them a diploma mill?
Didn’t this school have a different name ten years ago? I’m too lazy to google.
Also referred to as St John Fisher maybe? I hear them used interchangeably.

Who came up with the rankings? And how? I tend to dismiss any of those lists.
U.S. news and world report. Sure rankings are meaningless but it's what people make their perceptions off of. How else would people have the perception at UNC or UCSF is a "top" school if not for these rankings?

If anything, I think even St. John's University has a more reputable pharmacy school than St. John Fischer's college (which I've never heard of).

While I cannot speak to the merits of this new online PharmD program, SJFC WSOP is not a diploma mill or some brand new school. The campus-based PharmD program has great integrity and is respected by preceptors.
  • Bob Wegman donated money from his personal fortune to help start a nursing school and then a pharmacy school at St. John Fisher College, but no one accuses the nursing school of being a diploma mill.
  • First students started in 2006, fully accredited since 2010.
  • 97.37% pass rate on the NAPLEX (2019).
  • 90.6% on-time graduation rate (2020).
  • 1680 hours of APPEs required instead of 1440.
  • Two semesters of compounding lab even if not intending to compound or get licensed in NY.
  • Rotational assignments and daily activities are assigned by the experiential education office, not just logging hours and writing journal reflections.
  • Secure offline ExamSoft based tests with questions coded for ACPE content area standards.
  • Mandatory CE and volunteering P1 through P3 year.
  • 15 disease state-based longitudinal activities to complete across your P4 year, again not just log hours and journal.

While I cannot speak to the merits of this new online PharmD program, SJFC WSOP is not a diploma mill or some brand new school. The campus-based PharmD program has great integrity and is respected by preceptors.
  • Bob Wegman donated money from his personal fortune to help start a nursing school and then a pharmacy school at St. John Fisher College, but no one accuses the nursing school of being a diploma mill.
  • First students started in 2006, fully accredited since 2010.
  • 97.37% pass rate on the NAPLEX (2019).
  • 90.6% on-time graduation rate (2020).
  • 1680 hours of APPEs required instead of 1440.
  • Two semesters of compounding lab even if not intending to compound or get licensed in NY.
  • Rotational assignments and daily activities are assigned by the experiential education office, not just logging hours and writing journal reflections.
  • Secure offline ExamSoft based tests with questions coded for ACPE content area standards.
  • Mandatory CE and volunteering P1 through P3 year.
  • 15 disease state-based longitudinal activities to complete across your P4 year, again not just log hours and journal.
Stats look way better than MCPHS pass rate for NAPLEX and MPJE. MCPHS is definitely a diploma mill

It must be one of those liberal arts colleges that want to create a pharmacy school for profit. Like Creighton.
I did not go to Creighton, but have to defend them a bit

They have had an online program for quite awhile - although I personally hate the idea of online college- call me a boomer haha

It is not a new program.

Their pharmacy school is excellent and the school is excellent - they have had a pharmacy school for 115 years (founded in 1905)

edit: my school was started a pharmacy school in 1882 - wow -(PS Creighton is one of our rivals)

Reactions: 3 users
I did not go to Creighton, but have to defend them a bit

They have had an online program for quite awhile - although I personally hate the idea of online college- call me a boomer haha

It is not a new program.

Their pharmacy school is excellent and the school is excellent - they have had a pharmacy school for 115 years (founded in 1905)

edit: my school was started a pharmacy school in 1882 - wow -(PS Creighton is one of our rivals)

Well more you know. I thought Creighton was brand new like started in 2014ish.

My alma mater had a correspondence-Pharm.D. in the late 1990s, but that didn't last very long because it had to be completed in 3 years or less. Since the academic program was 2 years anyway, what was the point?

Always been a rumor, it has never been true

Was probably more than likely to get one. Wegman's probably held career event more often there as the founder personally donated and had his name on the place.

Was probably more than likely to get one. Wegman's probably held career event more often there as the founder personally donated and had his name on the place.
Possibly I guess. But certainly far from a guarantee. The other rumor was that they only hired Wegmans students, which was also false.

At the end of the day, they've had similar hiring practices to any other retail pharmacy. They take on a few of their better interns every year and a couple random new hires as they need.