PharmD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flootofatook25

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can you do with a PharmD/MBA? I'm really interested in pursing clinical practice, but I also enjoy the opportunity to work in the corporate sector and possibility hold a position in administration where I can still use my clinical skills. How competitive would I be holding a PharmD/MBA? I understand salaries will vary according to the responsible and the company, but what do you expect someone to start out making?

Anway input would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think you could be valuable and a hotshot in the pharm industry, starting at six figures or reaching there quickly. Upward mobility seems auspicious too.

I have 2 friends who has a PharmD/MBA. One is a financial advisor for a large well-known financial company. And the other is the district manager for a retail company. So both degrees are useful if one wants to be in corporate.

Members don't see this ad :)
that sounds unusual, as if the pharm background isnt being harnessed at all

Hospital administration would be the most common path for a PharmD/MBA. That would put you behind a desk with people bitching to you about HR issues all day. You'd make bank though. Or, you can go into the corporate sector. Either way, you lose the opportunity to practice clinically. It really depends on what you want to do with your life. No matter what, you're going to be able to live comfortably, so go for enjoyment over extra money. That's my advice.

I suppose that you could work towards managing a nursing home consulting business or managing the formulary of an HMO. Those would be options letting , open or closed door, if that sort of thing interests you.

make a boatload of money in the "dyanmic" world of big pharmaceutical companies.

(sidenote- I keep seeing alot of "executive MBA" programs... how many "executives" can the system support??)

flootofatook25 said:
What can you do with a PharmD/MBA? I'm really interested in pursing clinical practice, but I also enjoy the opportunity to work in the corporate sector and possibility hold a position in administration where I can still use my clinical skills. How competitive would I be holding a PharmD/MBA? I understand salaries will vary according to the responsible and the company, but what do you expect someone to start out making?

Anway input would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks.

I could be wrong but it seems "clinical" & "corporate" might be mutually exclusive, unless you're involved w/ clinical research (pre FDA filing - phase III clinical trials). And I'm guessing that even at smaller pharma companies, a PharmD/MBA might not be involved w/ trials pt's directly. It doesn't seem likely for new grads to get
----------
http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/GENINFO/Prepharmacy/
How much will I make?

The average starting salary for new pharmacy graduates is $70,000 - 90,000 per year, depending on location, type of job, etc. The starting income of someone with a PharmD/MBA degree is around $120,000 per year.
-----------

random link: www.rxsalary.com/

good luck :cool: