PharmD=Doctor not professional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pharmduic said:
When I started pharmacy school, I remember thinking that I would be earning a doctorate degree and that when I graduated people would call me "Dr"; however this is not the case. Why is it that pharmacy is the field that earns a doctor degree but we don't even call each other Dr. Some chain pharmacies even call their store managers "Mr" but then the store manager calls the pharmD by their first name. Also, dentists are always called Doctor why aren't pharmDs. I think we would gain more respect if we were called "Dr"

That is funny.. I`m in a Pharm. D. program, and I was told by the dean that when we graduate we will be dubbed as "Dr". Majority of the pharmacists I`ve met in my entire life (okay, I doubt I would remember too far back into my childhood) were referred to as doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

gdk420 said:
How about this source, DIRECTLY FROM THE AMA.

"A physician is an MD or DO (see above). Many people also refer to physicians informally as doctors, eg., "Doctor Smith." Strictly speaking, however, anyone with a doctorate degree (eg., PhD, EdD, PharmD [pharmacist], or DDS [dentist]) is a doctor as well."

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/3627.html#MD_DO

Everyone knows that a doctor and a physician can be and is used interchangably. HOWEVER, what was for debate was a few repliers saying that pharmDs and even as far as phds are not "real" doctors. So let me copy the 2nd paragraph.

What is the difference between a physician and a doctor?

A physician is an MD or DO (see above). Many people also refer to physicians informally as doctors, eg., "Doctor Smith." Strictly speaking, however, anyone with a doctorate degree (eg., PhD, EdD, PharmD [pharmacist], or DDS [dentist]) is a doctor as well.

Thats it, no biggie. When someone says go see your doctor for your flu, obviously they mean a physician since he is the "medical doctor". However in a pharamcy practice setting or dental setting, you cant expect me to call a physician a doctor unless 1. It is necessarily, or 2. from respect. In other words, if you are a physician picking up a prescription, you are the same as any other average joe. If you are a physician putting in a prescription, then you are the doctor.

The only people who should be taken seriously 24/7 are law enforcement agents.

We have a number of physicians who get prescriptions filled at our pharmacy, and we call them Dr. Smith, Dr. Jones etc. As in, "Hello Dr. Jones, do we have something for you today?"

I think in general, most MD/DO/PhD types tend to be addressed in formal social settings as Dr. So and So. My mother (clinical psychologist/college professor) gets called Dr. Mother or Rev. Dr. Mother, since she is also an ordained minister. She doesn't get upset at being referred to as Ms. Mother either, though. At church she just uses her first name, because in our denomination Rev is a written title not an oral one. We don't call our priests Rev. Smith, it's usually Father Smith or Father John if a title is used at all. I've never heard anyone say Mother Smith, either, although we have a high number of female priests in our denomination. Mom's congregation addresses her by her first name.

Lawyers have a JD, but aren't referred to as Dr, as someone pointed out earlier. Typically if an attorney desires a more formal title he or she can use, John Smith, Esq.

As far as pharmacists, the ones I work with use their first names. They get mail (mostly from drug companies) addressed to Dr. John Smith sometimes. I get stuff that is addressed to Intern All4MyDaughter or Miss All4MyDaughter, intern. It really should be Mrs. All4MyDaughter, but who cares?

I guess what I'm alluding to is that titles are flexible, and there aren't any hard and fast rules. No one should get bent out of shape about what they are or aren't called. Most physicians I know would answer to Mr. Smith without correcting the speaker (That's DOCTOR Smith). There are exceptions in every profession, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khushi said:
That is funny.. I`m in a Pharm. D. program, and I was told by the dean that when we graduate we will be dubbed as "Dr". Majority of the pharmacists I`ve met in my entire life (okay, I doubt I would remember too far back into my childhood) were referred to as doctors.

So at your local community pharmacy everyone calls the pharmacist Dr??? I sincerely doubt it. Where do you live????

pharmduic said:
So at your local community pharmacy everyone calls the pharmacist Dr??? I sincerely doubt it. Where do you live????

new york city. i`ve never been to every single pharmacy here, but the most i`ve been to, they`re referred to as doctors.. maybe i missed the places where they don`t.

OSUdoc08 said:
Do you call lawyers "doctor?" --> They have a Doctorate!

Why not?

Pharmacists aren't formally considered to be Doctors by the general public.

As an MD and JD (lawyer/doctor of jurisprudence) who is engaged to a PharmD, I feel am qualified to make a few comments about this topic. First, PharmDs are often referred to as "doctor" if they are practicing in a clinical or academic setting (i.e., hospital, practice clinic, academia). Retail pharmacists probably wouldn't use their title much given the nature of their jobs and the setting. However, the PharmDs I have known use the title and are referred to as "doctor".

Most people who are comfortable with themselves and their lot in life do not over-emphasize their professional titles. Most physicians are comfortable with omitting the title in non clinical settings. I have found that the chiropractors, optometrists, and podiatrists (and sometimes dentists) are the ones who insist on always being called "doctor". I still chuckle when I go in for my eye exam and the receptionist tells me that the "doctor will see me now", when it's just an optometrist, who is, IMO, an inflated optician.

Law and pharmacy have some similarities. Historically, in the US, a law degree was called an LLB (Bachelor of Laws). Although it was titled at the undergraduate level, it was a post-bachelor's degree. In other words, prior to the 1960s, lawyers had to earn a BA/BS and then go on for 3-4 years for an LLB. They had two bachelor's degrees. The ABA decided this was decidedly unfair and ridiculous (a vestige of the old British custom where professionals earn a bachelor's, including medicine (all physicians and dentists and other professionals in the UK earn a professional bachelor's -- MBBS, BDS, BVsc, BPharm, LLB, etc.)) so they changed the name of the degree to Juris Doctor or Doctor of Jurisprudence/Doctor of Law. Today, all law schools grant the JD degree, which is usually 3.5 years of full-time study after the BA/BS. To get into a JD program, you must have a BA/BS, not just 2-3 years of college credit. So, all US trained lawyers have about 7-8 years of schooling. A law clerkship is analogous to a residency and can tack on another 1-4 years of training post JD.

Unfortunately, there were many LLBs out there who felt the use of the title "doctor" would be misleading to the general population. I mean, Lord knows, if you're coming to me for a divorce, and I introduce myself as Dr. Smith, you might think I'm going to remove your appendix even though you came to me knowing I'm an attorney, right? The truth of the matter is that the old school lawyers club felt jealous of the new upstarts having a doctorate when they had a second bachelor's (which, in reality, they did not since their LLB was post graduate) so they enacted a special canon of professional ethics forbidding the use of the title except in academic settings.

In Europe, attorneys are addressed as "doctor". In fact, go to Germany, the Scandinavian countries, or most Slavic countries, and say you're "doctor" so-and-so, and they will assume you're a PhD or JD, not an MD (a mere body mechanic).

Today, you see more lawyers in the US append the JD after their names, but few use "Dr." However, most bar associations no longer forbid the use of the title. Upon graduation from law school, I had a full doctoral gown, cap, and tassel. My gown had three doctoral stripes and the purple hood, just like the MDs and PhDs. My JD diploma is just as large as the PhD, EdD, DVM, DO, and MD diplomas. A JD is considered equivalent to the PhD in academic settings (e.g., a JD can teach at undergrad, grad, and professional schools just like a PhD). The reason you don't see most JDs using "doctor" as a form of address is due to the public reaction. Lawyers did it to themselves by not using their title right away. Now, some 40 years later, the public would say, "Hey, what the hell? Now you're doctors?" Lawyers already get maligned as it is, can you imagine how the public would react if all of a sudden, lawyers insisted on a professional title like dentists and physicians?

Pharmacy, like law, started off with a lower degree and moved to a higher degree. Most people, young and old, think of the pharmacist as that guy behind the counter at Rite Aid or CVS or the supermarket, not a "real medical" professional. Most people are not used to pharmacists having doctoral degrees. Like law, most people think pharmacy is something you can earn after a year of college. How many folks out there really know law is 3-4 years post bachelor's?

I hope you guys don't make the same mistake that lawyers did. Use your title when appropriate and use the PharmD after your names often. Make the public aware. It's nice to see more younger lawyers append JD after their names; it makes them appear on par with dentists, optometrists, vets, psychologists, etc.!

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

ButlerPharm.D. said:
Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing are all Professional degree program i.e. The degree gives the student a licence, chartered or special competence, which is often required - or sometimes legally needed - to practice as a medical doctor, nurse, teacher, engineer and accounting etc.

*Note: In the U.S., despite its name, the J.D. degree is not a doctoral level degree. It is a first professional degree and does not confer the title of doctor. While normally taken after a bachelors-level degree, neither is the J.D. a masters-level degree. The LL.M., which is earned after the J.D., is a masters-level law degree. The S.J.D. (Doctor of Juridical Science) is considered a doctoral-level degree and is the highest American degree in law.

HENCE-an M.D., like a Pharm.D., is a PROFESSIONAL DEGREE and not a GRADUATE degree.

That is bull****. A JD is a doctoral level professional degree, just like the PharmD and MD. Dentists, physicians, vets, etc., can earn a post doc master's just like some lawyers do. However, to practice law, pharmacy, med, etc., you must earn the professional doctorate. To specialize, or enhance your learning in another area of practice, you can earn a post professional master's. Your information is wrong. Read my post about the hx of the JD title.

wertyjoe said:
I'm sorry, your right on the BS in pharm is a 5 year degree. I'll change my previous post. I don't mean to be an a$$ but a DO is not a dentist. You might want to be aware of this if your going to be a pharmacist.

Quit being so arrogant. Most osteo schools don't have the same admission standards as MD schools. Come down to Earth with the rest of us mortals, DO boy. Couldn't make it into a bottom tier allo school? You see how that stings? Your comments here are insulting and inflammatory.

ProZackMI said:
Quit being so arrogant. Most osteo schools don't have the same admission standards as MD schools. Come down to Earth with the rest of us mortal, DO boy. Couldn't make it into a bottom tier allo school? You see how that stings? Your comments here are insulting and inflammatory.

:laugh: :laugh: ProZack is on fire.

Shovingit said:
:laugh: :laugh: ProZack is on fire.

exactly...he is passing his fiery non-factual biases on to all the unknowing around him!

...yes, everyone's good friend ProZack visits the PharmD forum to bash others with his opinions ...I ask you Zack, "How many people do you mislead daily with your misguided passions?"

just one other example: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...t=263537&page=2

Hey Zack, since you are so into bashing others here is a bit of your own: IMO, the training to become a JD is not nearly as intense (difficult and time-consuming) as many of the doctorate degrees you routinely bash - i.e., view the curriculum at any law school and compare it to an OD, Chiro, or Podiatry school's curriculum! ....

Grow up Zack! Just because you don't agree with the philosophy behind someone's training doesn't mean they are not qualified to practice to the full scope of their license!

May there always be those among us willing to stand up to the mis-guided neighborhood bullies like ProZack! I encourage all of you!

gsinccom said:
exactly...he is passing his fiery non-factual biases on to all the unknowing around him!

...yes, everyone's good friend ProZack visits the PharmD forum to bash others with his opinions ...I ask you Zack, "How many people do you mislead daily with your misguided passions?"

just one other example: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...t=263537&page=2

Hey Zack, since you are so into bashing others here is a bit of your own: IMO, the training to become a JD is not nearly as intense (difficult and time-consuming) as many of the doctorate degrees you routinely bash - i.e., view the curriculum at any law school and compare it to an OD, Chiro, or Podiatry school's curriculum! ....

Grow up Zack! Just because you don't agree with the philosophy behind someone's training doesn't mean they are not qualified to practice to the full scope of their license!

May there always be those among us willing to stand up to the mis-guided neighborhood bullies like ProZack! I encourage all of you!

You're a college kid hoping to get into OD school so you can say "this one, or that one" all day, Rx some contact lenses, and pretend to be a physician, yet you have the audacity to lambaste me and my professionalism? I'm an MD and JD. You've never attended medical or law school, yet you're an expert on both programs? I have an opinion, kid, and I am not afraid to state it. All professional programs have common features. My only beef with optometry is that they are trying too hard to encroach upon the practice of medicine; they have their role in health care and they are trying to expand their scopes of practice unnecessarily. I'm neither a bully, nor immature.

You lack credibility, little boy. When you complete undergrad and go on to earn an advanced degree, then we can have this debate. Attacking me here shows that you lack professionalism. Now go back to your keg parties and leave the adults alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
ProZackMI said:
Now go back to your keg parties...

wooooooooooooooo
i'm in!

i think the whole "JD is not as hard... " crap is ridiculous.

its a different type of education and you will never be able to compare it to any science related programs and thus the argument of "looking at the curriculums" is complete and total BS

ultracet said:
wooooooooooooooo
i'm in!

i think the whole "JD is not as hard... " crap is ridiculous.

its a different type of education and you will never be able to compare it to any science related programs and thus the argument of "looking at the curriculums" is complete and total BS

:)
:thumbup:

tupac_don said:
Well there is also the difference of sheer amount of material thrown at you. Having done pharmacy and doing med school. Med school has about 3x more material that is covered than pharmacy. Much more quantity oriented and faster than pharmacy school. Yes they are all professional, but as you will see as a pharmacist you dont' have much decision making power, you pretty much gotta go through a doctor to change any med, except if a hospital has a policy that bypasses the doctor.

this is interesting, because from talking to M1s out on the town, and a friend who is a M1 at my old university it seems we work much harder at least our P1 year. my friend who is in med school at the University of Arizona said that the pharmacy students spend far more time in the library and tend to be more stressed out than the med students.

njac said:
this is interesting, because from talking to M1s out on the town, and a friend who is a M1 at my old university it seems we work much harder at least our P1 year. my friend who is in med school at the University of Arizona said that the pharmacy students spend far more time in the library and tend to be more stressed out than the med students.

I think Tupoc has it right. My boyfriend and I both entered medical school and pharmacy school at the same time respectively. We both have really bad and stressful weeks, but overall I have it a lot easier than him. He has at least 2x more material to learn than I do for each exam. Add on to that preparing for Step 1 and Step 2, and the med students have a lot more to be stressed out about than pharmacy students.

crossurfingers said:
I think Tupoc has it right. My boyfriend and I both entered medical school and pharmacy school at the same time respectively. We both have really bad and stressful weeks, but overall I have it a lot easier than him. He has at least 2x more material to learn than I do for each exam. Add on to that preparing for Step 1 and Step 2, and the med students have a lot more to be stressed out about than pharmacy students.

You misinterpreted the post above yours completely.
He basically stated the contrary, P1 is harder than M1 in his region, according to his friends.

Anyway, this debate can and will go nowhere, so i'm out.

I only got about halfway through this thread, but it really seems like there are alot of people here with inferiority complexes. I'm not trolling here, but I'm an attorney, and I have never heard suggestions that we be referred to as doctors. Our society has simply developed in a way that MDs and DOs are called Dr. and everyone else has a doctorate degree (the glaring exception being in a university setting). This doesn't make a PharmD degree inferior in any way.

Someone calling you doctor will not make you a better pharmacist or bring you any more legitimate respect. The only thing it can possibly do is pad a persons ego.

ProZackMI said:
That is bull****. A JD is a doctoral level professional degree, just like the PharmD and MD. Dentists, physicians, vets, etc., can earn a post doc master's just like some lawyers do. However, to practice law, pharmacy, med, etc., you must earn the professional doctorate. To specialize, or enhance your learning in another area of practice, you can earn a post professional master's. Your information is wrong. Read my post about the hx of the JD title.

Zack is right. The LLM and SJD are not the "Masters" and "Doctorate" level of legal education. The LLM is for people who want to specialize in a specific area or for foreign attorneys who need to attend an American law school.

The SJD is the equivalent of someone with a PharmD earning their PHD so they can teach or do research. Most SJDs are foreign educated attorneys looking to teach or do research in the United States.

Any PharmD who argues that a JD is not a terminal doctorate is a hypocrite. I personally don't care what you call me, but I think it sucks that you have a board full of people trying to justify being called by the term "Dr." and find a way to demean other degrees in the process.

Here is the ultimate guide to whether you should be called "Doctor". If you can't stand up on a plane when the overhead page states "We have a emergency. Is there a doctor on board?" - then you shouldn't call yourself doctor in public......

Chances are it is not a person needing the services of a Ph.D spouting philosophy, an attorney to give legal advice about suing the airline for poor service, or a pharmacist to give advice on drug-drug interactions at 30,000 feet.

Sorry if anyone else has brought this up - this topic was too long and repetitive for me to read it all.

Reactions: 1 user
Pilot said:
Here is the ultimate guide to whether you should be called "Doctor". If you can't stand up on a plane when the overhead page states "We have a emergency. Is there a doctor on board?" - then you shouldn't call yourself doctor in public......

What could a physician do in that case, either? All you could do would be to administer CPR and anyone certified can do that. For an acute incident, you'd probably be better off with a nurse.

wow...this thread turned into a great pissing contest just like the old days!

alright...who's up for a keg stand?

dgroulx said:
What could a physician do in that case, either? All you could do would be to administer CPR and anyone certified can do that. For an acute incident, you'd probably be better off with a nurse.

Actually a physician can break the seal and administer medications from the medical kit on board each commercial airliner. On of my coworkers was flying from Russia back to the US, and a guy who had gone to Russia to pick up his new bride became unresponsive during the flight.

To make this more fun - I will ask you to tell me what you would do. I will assume you are a nurse (based on your comment as this is an acute episode - and will not allowed to access the medical kit). Further history/PE will be supplied as you ask, as if you were performing these duties in real life.

As of now, you have 1 unresponsive white male, slumped in his seat, next to a babbling Russian bride who just met the man 1 day prior (you don't speak Russian, by the way). 10 minutes prior, he was acting normally, albeit loudly asking for refill on EtOH.

PMH: unknown
PSH: unknown
PE: Gen: unresponsive white male, mid-30's, unresponsive to painful stimuli EYES: slow pupil response, but present CV: tachycardic, no JVD LUNGS: shallow respirations, rate 8 breaths per minute, no retractions ABD: soft, NTTP EXT: no C/C/E

Let's play......If you later decide that a physician might be more appropriate in this situation, you will be allowed to access the medical kit.

Pilot said:
Actually a physician can break the seal and administer medications from the medical kit on board each commercial airliner. On of my coworkers was flying from Russia back to the US, and a guy who had gone to Russia to pick up his new bride became unresponsive during the flight.

To make this more fun - I will ask you to tell me what you would do. I will assume you are a nurse (based on your comment as this is an acute episode - and will not allowed to access the medical kit). Further history/PE will be supplied as you ask, as if you were performing these duties in real life.

As of now, you have 1 unresponsive white male, slumped in his seat, next to a babbling Russian bride who just met the man 1 day prior (you don't speak Russian, by the way). 10 minutes prior, he was acting normally, albeit loudly asking for refill on EtOH.

PMH: unknown
PSH: unknown
PE: Gen: unresponsive white male, mid-30's, unresponsive to painful stimuli EYES: slow pupil response, but present CV: tachycardic, no JVD LUNGS: shallow respirations, rate 8 breaths per minute, no retractions ABD: soft, NTTP EXT: no C/C/E

Let's play......If you later decide that a physician might be more appropriate in this situation, you will be allowed to access the medical kit.

I'm a pharmacy student who just finished a 4 week rotation in the ICU. The nurse comment was made because they are the ones I saw doing most everything, except writing the drug order. The head clinical nurse in charge of grand rounds had extensive medical knowledge and he earned my respect.

For the patient that you describe, I would administer an IM injection of Narcan (naloxone). The respiratory depression could be due to an opoid, with the alcohol potentiating the effects and the Narcan will displace it from the receptor.

Pilot said:

That's because the public commonly misuses the phrase "doctor" when they mean "physician," as in "I need to go to the doctor's office for a check-up." While the physician is a doctor, they aren't "the" doctor, as in the solitary profession that is given that title.

I don't want to jump into this but physicians and all the rest have jacked the title from the Ph.D's. Look up the origin of the word "doctor." it's Latin and has nothing to do with healthcare. Just think about that and don't get so high and mighty over a title and who gets to use it. That goes for MD's and PharmD's.

As for the "Is there a doctor on board?" comment, that is ridiculous. No pharmacist, dentist, EMT, ph.d etc would actually get up and say "I'm a doctor!" But they would get up and state their expertise if they could help. If that plane did not have a MD on board are they totally screwed? Should the ER nurse just sit there and say "nope, I'm not a doctor"? What if the doctor was a seasoned dermatologist or pathologist?

crying moo said:
I don't want to jump into this but physicians and all the rest have jacked the title from the Ph.D's. Look up the origin of the word "doctor." it's Latin and has nothing to do with healthcare. Just think about that and don't get so high and mighty over a title and who gets to use it. That goes for MD's and PharmD's.

As for the "Is there a doctor on board?" comment, that is ridiculous. No pharmacist, dentist, EMT, ph.d etc would actually get up and say "I'm a doctor!" But they would get up and state their expertise if they could help. If that plane did not have a MD on board are they totally screwed? Should the ER nurse just sit there and say "nope, I'm not a doctor"? What if the doctor was a seasoned dermatologist or pathologist?

I used to be a flight attendant and when there is a medical emergency on board we are instructed to ask for the assistance of any medical professionals onboard. In addition, we have a physician that is always on call through our company that we can talk to using the airphone.

However, Pilot is right, only a licensed medical doctor can use the emergency medical kit onboard. There is another first aid kit and AED that other medical personnel and flight attendants can use, but they can not open the emergency medical kit unless a physician is there.

in response to the MD on board stuff....

most MDs i know would think twice before responding b/c they are not covered by good samaratan laws

way to go lawyers!!! :thumbup:

Glycerin said:
That's because the public commonly misuses the phrase "doctor" when they mean "physician," as in "I need to go to the doctor's office for a check-up." While the physician is a doctor, they aren't "the" doctor, as in the solitary profession that is given that title.

This is a prime example of Rule #1 and Rule #2, People are Stupid and People are Lazy.

That's a poor example Pilot. I play softball on a physician's team (well his son's team) and he's flat out said if it's not about delivering babies, he's more ignorant now then people that watch Emergency room or ER. So while he's a 'doctor' in your sense, he's admitedly the same as having a lay person around.

Smilescali said:
I used to be a flight attendant and when there is a medical emergency on board we are instructed to ask for the assistance of any medical professionals onboard. In addition, we have a physician that is always on call through our company that we can talk to using the airphone.

However, Pilot is right, only a licensed medical doctor can use the emergency medical kit onboard. There is another first aid kit and AED that other medical personnel and flight attendants can use, but they can not open the emergency medical kit unless a physician is there.

I'm curious. What if the only physician was from another country? Is that okay? What laws prevail when you are in the air? What if a doctor no longer had a state license for some reason? I have no idea about this stuff because I hate to fly and have no plans to fly again in the future. It does make me wonder though.

dgroulx said:
I'm curious. What if the only physician was from another country? Is that okay? What laws prevail when you are in the air? What if a doctor no longer had a state license for some reason? I have no idea about this stuff because I hate to fly and have no plans to fly again in the future. It does make me wonder though.

If the physician was from another country, just as if he or she was from the U.S., proper valid credentials would have to be verified to "break the seal" on the EMK (Emergency Medical Kit). Of course this can get a bit tricky if the physician doesn't carry any credentials. In that case, Medline or the company's on call physician would have to make the determination whether or not the EMK should be used. This was the protocol that the airline I used to work for used and to be honest it all may have changed because I quit the airlines back in 2004. My husband is a pilot for another major airline and he said that it is the same policy where he works as well (only at his airline the physician on call can authorize a PA or a NP to open the EMK, something I was not aware of until today.).

There are so many regulations and laws that govern US commericial airlines. The main difference between the federal law of the US and "airline law" is that there are several additional FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) that we must adhere to. Additionally, if you are going internationally there are many other destination regulations and laws pertaining to that country that must be observed. We are briefed on those in our pre-flight meetings.

Hope that helped a little :)

dgroulx said:
I'm a pharmacy student who just finished a 4 week rotation in the ICU. The nurse comment was made because they are the ones I saw doing most everything, except writing the drug order. The head clinical nurse in charge of grand rounds had extensive medical knowledge and he earned my respect.

For the patient that you describe, I would administer an IM injection of Narcan (naloxone). The respiratory depression could be due to an opoid, with the alcohol potentiating the effects and the Narcan will displace it from the receptor.

Assuming you are a doctor now since you administering medicines - the patient did not have a change in status with the administration of a proper dose of naloxone. Would you like any other PE/History/Lab at this time. Note - just like on an airplane, you may ask for assistance from passengers (i.e. "Does anyone speak Russian?").

BTW - you missed you first intervention by failing to attach the AED and see if the patient has a shockable rhythm.

And I agree that ICU nurses are particularly adept. Almost all I have dealt with were very good, and often give the physicians "gentle prodding" which improve patient care.

Pilot said:
Assuming you are a doctor now since you administering medicines - the patient did not have a change in status with the administration of a proper dose of naloxone. Would you like any other PE/History/Lab at this time. Note - just like on an airplane, you may ask for assistance from passengers (i.e. "Does anyone speak Russian?").

BTW - you missed you first intervention by failing to attach the AED and see if the patient has a shockable rhythm.

And I agree that ICU nurses are particularly adept. Almost all I have dealt with were very good, and often give the physicians "gentle prodding" which improve patient care.

Nurses and Pharmacists often watch and save the doctor's butt. How many times do they write for something that is just plain wrong? I think that all the health professions have to work together and in the plane situation, a nurse, pharmacist, or even some other health professional is better than absolutely no one.

Yes, everyone must work together. At the hospital I was just at, the pharmacists working the "horseshoe" just fielded physicians calls and told them the correct med and dosage to use. Every intervention that the pharmacists or myself wrote up and put into the chart was acted on by the physician. They patient is the one that is important. The physicians with patients who are seriously ill don't have any problem asking the pharmacist.
Everyone makes mistakes. By working together, mistakes can be minimized.

Pilot said:

I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest. I could give you situations from year 3 of pharmacy school that any med student would not be able to answer. We all have our areas of specialization with one common goal - treating the patient. I don't really care who calls themselves "doctor".

dgroulx said:
I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest. I could give you situations from year 3 of pharmacy school that any med student would not be able to answer. We all have our areas of specialization with one common goal - treating the patient. I don't really care who calls themselves "doctor".

OK. I'll just give you the answer. The doctor asked for a glucose monitor, which was not available in the med kit. A passenger volunteered the ue of her device, and the patient FSBS was noted to be 11 mg/dL. Glucose was administered, and the patient became more responsive. In between fluctuating levels of consciousness over the 2 hours and multiple glucose administrations , the patient was able to reveal that he had recently been released from a hospital in Russia the day before after being diagnosed with an insulinoma. He had been advised not to drink EtOH when discharged from the hospital.

Throughout the entire episode, the pilot (via the flight attendant) kept inquiring whether he needed to divert the flight prior to coming to the coast and beginning the trans-oceanic portion of the flight. The patient never recovered to the point where the doctor thought the flight could continue (for the next 10 hours - I think). Doctor diverted the flight, pissed all the passengers off, who were very vocal with the physician during the refueling. Passenger was taken by paramedics from the plane alive, but his story thereafter is unknown. Doctor didn't even receive the complimentary bottle of champagne/wine that I have heard about when administering emergency medical care when on a flight.

Pilot
D.O., R.Ph.

imperial frog said:
I've been trying to get my wife to call me Master after I got my degree 6 years ago. The closest she got was Bastard.
That made me fall out of my chair laughing. Thanks for making my Saturday night.

I can answer this. Lawyers are traditionally not called "doctor" out of a tradition of their field. Nonetheless a lawyer in general is still considered an expert in his field.

If pharmacists don't emphasize the fact that hey have a doctorate in pharmacy the central tendency will be to under use their expertise. This will result in less than desirable patient outcomes.

Do you call lawyers "doctor?" --> They have a Doctorate!

Why not?

Pharmacists aren't formally considered to be Doctors by the general public.

Even a pharmacist can do CPR.

Chances are it is not a person needing the services of a Ph.D spouting philosophy, an attorney to give legal advice about suing the airline for poor service, or a pharmacist to give advice on drug-drug interactions at 30,000 feet.

Sorry if anyone else has brought this up - this topic was too long and repetitive for me to read it all.

OK. I'll just give you the answer. The doctor asked for a glucose monitor, which was not available in the med kit. A passenger volunteered the ue of her device, and the patient FSBS was noted to be 11 mg/dL. Glucose was administered, and the patient became more responsive. In between fluctuating levels of consciousness over the 2 hours and multiple glucose administrations , the patient was able to reveal that he had recently been released from a hospital in Russia the day before after being diagnosed with an insulinoma. He had been advised not to drink EtOH when discharged from the hospital.

Throughout the entire episode, the pilot (via the flight attendant) kept inquiring whether he needed to divert the flight prior to coming to the coast and beginning the trans-oceanic portion of the flight. The patient never recovered to the point where the doctor thought the flight could continue (for the next 10 hours - I think). Doctor diverted the flight, pissed all the passengers off, who were very vocal with the physician during the refueling. Passenger was taken by paramedics from the plane alive, but his story thereafter is unknown. Doctor didn't even receive the complimentary bottle of champagne/wine that I have heard about when administering emergency medical care when on a flight.

Pilot
D.O., R.Ph.

aww shucks. i was just about to start asking. my first would be the ABCs. then, blood glucose. success, my 2 yrs in med school have not been completely useless.

You're a college kid hoping to get into OD school so you can say "this one, or that one" all day, Rx some contact lenses, and pretend to be a physician, yet you have the audacity to lambaste me and my professionalism? I'm an MD and JD. You've never attended medical or law school, yet you're an expert on both programs? I have an opinion, kid, and I am not afraid to state it. All professional programs have common features. My only beef with optometry is that they are trying too hard to encroach upon the practice of medicine; they have their role in health care and they are trying to expand their scopes of practice unnecessarily. I'm neither a bully, nor immature.

You lack credibility, little boy. When you complete undergrad and go on to earn an advanced degree, then we can have this debate. Attacking me here shows that you lack professionalism. Now go back to your keg parties and leave the adults alone.

i commend you for getting an MD, but i would call satan doctor before i would call a blood sucking lawyer that.

yeah this is annoying...check the dates people, chances are you don't have anything interesting to add to a 3 year old discussion that's been long buried. chances are, the people you're replying to don't read this anymore either. aye :thumbdown:

If it was my degree, it would stand for Big F'ing Ass. I really need to start a diet.

Yo, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish and everything, but Beyonce has one of the best asses of all time.

They won't call you Dr. because:

DERP! call me Dr., I work at a grocery store!
DERP! call me a Dr., I work at a convenience store!

Do they need your respect? No. Do they have your respect? Probably not.