Pharmacy Outlook is not gloomy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because there is a deep meaning behind every post that I posted. If you just read over it one time, you won't get it. But because you take the time and analyze it, you can at some point figure it out. But you may not be able to fully comprehend it. Not until it happens. Just wait.

yeah see...like this post, completely disconnected from what i wrote. he's talking about how it takes "time" to figure his **** out, when I practically said the same thing.

lol, told you all!!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah see...like this post, completely disconnected from what i wrote. he's talking about how it takes "time" to figure his **** out, when I practically said the same thing.

lol, told you all!!

I find it funny that you are the one who contradicts yourself. Look at what you said:

"completely disconnected from what i wrote"
then,

"he's talking about how it takes "time" to figure his **** out, when I practically said the same thing"

I also find you are insecure. You literally have to call other people to agree with you to feel better "told you all".

Well, most people are just like you, influenced by popularity.

I know this post is from last year, and this is why we need to update for those students who are thinking of going into pharmacy in the future. The future job market for pharmacists is gloomy, especially in california where there is already way too many pharmacy schools!
It's probably better to go into PA school, that's the wave of the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
In an effort to protect the integrity of the pharmacy profession by ensuring that the most qualified prospective pre-pharmacy students will continue to enter the field of pharmacy, I want you guys to question the gloomy future of pharmacy that has been cast here by SDN. :)

How many current students out of the 10k students that graduate each year are on here saying that the job market is terrible? There are a few pharmacists that have posted here about not be able to find a job out of how what 300k pharmacists that are in the workforce. Maybe there is a reason that these pharmacists lost their job or are unable to secure a position as a pharmacist. Bad personality? Not willing to relocate? Bad pharmacist?

And for everyone that is currently working in a pharmacy you can talk to your managers to find out what the job situation is like. Its not gloom and doom as some people on SDN have made it appear to be. It makes sense that areas around many main cities are saturated; physicians and dentists..etc experience the same effect.

Also keep in mind the excellent job outlook from the Bureau of Labor Statistics was calculated using a large sample of pharmacists from different locations compared to the outlook here on SDN by a few people probably in saturated areas...

Letting a few current pharmacists or pharmacy students that post on this forum shape your entire perception of pharmacy?laugh:
Those are the people that are easily influenced by others, are indecisive, and non assertive. Nothing that anybody says here will ever change my mind about entering the profession. It is made up and nobody is going to make me think otherwise. Part of me actually encourages all these negative nancys to continue scaring away possible prepharms. Hey, less competition for me :laugh:

I know this post is from last year, and this is why we need to update for those students who are thinking of going into pharmacy in the future. The future job market for pharmacists is gloomy, especially in california where there is already way too many pharmacy schools!
It's probably better to go into PA school, that's the wave of the future.

The market is "gloomy" because of the huge market crash the US just had. Everybody lost their jobs, EVERYONE, the job outlook for almost all professions is looking gloomy. But I do have a question, with the passing of the new health care law (Obamacare) isnt the demand for pharmacists going to increase? About 40 million people are going to get healthcare, right?

The market is "gloomy" because of the huge market crash the US just had. Everybody lost their jobs, EVERYONE, the job outlook for almost all professions is looking gloomy. But I do have a question, with the passing of the new health care law (Obamacare) isnt the demand for pharmacists going to increase? About 40 million people are going to get healthcare, right?

I read on the BLS website for pharmacists that there was a noticeable number of pharmacists getting into the retiring age range. Coupled with the fact that the United States is progressively becoming an "older" society age-wise, maybe there could be a little bit of a "Saving Grace" for incoming pharmacists in the near future?

In an effort to protect the integrity of the pharmacy profession by ensuring that the most qualified prospective pre-pharmacy students will continue to enter the field of pharmacy, I want you guys to question the gloomy future of pharmacy that has been cast here by SDN. :)

How many current students out of the 10k students that graduate each year are on here saying that the job market is terrible? There are a few pharmacists that have posted here about not be able to find a job out of how what 300k pharmacists that are in the workforce. Maybe there is a reason that these pharmacists lost their job or are unable to secure a position as a pharmacist. Bad personality? Not willing to relocate? Bad pharmacist?

And for everyone that is currently working in a pharmacy you can talk to your managers to find out what the job situation is like. Its not gloom and doom as some people on SDN have made it appear to be. It makes sense that areas around many main cities are saturated; physicians and dentists..etc experience the same effect.

Also keep in mind the excellent job outlook from the Bureau of Labor Statistics was calculated using a large sample of pharmacists from different locations compared to the outlook here on SDN by a few people probably in saturated areas...

Letting a few current pharmacists or pharmacy students that post on this forum shape your entire perception of pharmacy?:laugh:

New grads have a 15% unemployment rate and a 40% underemployment rate (less than 30 hours a week). Government BLS has droped from 16% growth to

"3% (Slower than average)" and it's about to turn negative. If you go into pharmacy be ready to be unemployed.

OP is pre-pharmacy, 'nuff said.

I did talk to my district manager. He said there's no way I would be able to have a job in the chain I work for in the city where I'm going to school (Philly).

I did talk to my roommate. He has a very high GPA and has done research/tutoring and retail experience. His old chain is not taking him because he stopped working there when he started rotations. Otherwise, no job offers yet, and he applied everywhere (I mean everywhere, even as far away as New Mexico).

THere are just not enough hours to go around. there are like 30 new pharmacy school and jobs are stagnant or decreasing. MTM, provider status never took off. Pharmacist pay will fall back to pre-1999 levels to around 50k a year.

THere are just not enough hours to go around. there are like 30 new pharmacy school and jobs are stagnant or decreasing. MTM, provider status never took off. Pharmacist pay will fall back to pre-1999 levels to around 50k a year.

The take-home pay is already at pre-1999 levels when you factor in student loans.

Reactions: 1 user

The market is bad and I think pay will stagnate for quite a long time, but dropping back down to 50k is a bit extreme. Employers are greedy but not stupid.....within a decade there'd be another shortage with people leaving the profession in droves and admittance to schools drying up. People won't go to 6-8 yrs of $$$ schooling for 50k, and a lot of current pharmacists would go do something else than deal with all this crap at that rate. They still will pay well hourly in retail to keep it going. Pay will stay pretty good, but good luck if you lose your job/don't have one. The concern is cutting RPh labor down as much as possible, not slashing pay down that extremely.

The take-home pay is already at pre-1999 levels when you factor in student loans.
Pro
The market is bad and I think pay will stagnate for quite a long time, but dropping back down to 50k is a bit extreme. Employers are greedy but not stupid.....within a decade there'd be another shortage with people leaving the profession in droves and admittance to schools drying up. People won't go to 6-8 yrs of $$$ schooling for 50k, and a lot of current pharmacists would go do something else than deal with all this crap at that rate. They still will pay well hourly in retail to keep it going. Pay will stay pretty good, but good luck if you lose your job/don't have one. The concern is cutting RPh labor down as much as possible, not slashing pay down that extremely.

They are having techs verify techs much more often. The pay will be 50k because they will hire on more cheap rph's on a part time basis. It will take at least another 5 years till pharm schools start closing due to poor enrollment then another 15 at least for the situation to stop getting worse. Pharmacy schools are still opening up so we are still in straight bubble mode. The number of pharmacists is to hit 300,000 soon with available jobs at 286,400 that's at least 10,000 unemolyed pharmacists and like 90,000 under employed pharmacists. The profession is effed.

New grads have a 15% unemployment rate and a 40% underemployment rate (less than 30 hours a week). Government BLS has droped from 16% growth to

"3% (Slower than average)" and it's about to turn negative. If you go into pharmacy be ready to be unemployed.

Here's the link you guys want, but you want to read the last sentence of that paragraph not just the 3%.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm

Employment of pharmacists is projected to grow 3 percent from 2014 to 2024, slower than the average for all occupations. Increased demand for prescription medications will lead to more demand for pharmaceutical services. Employment of pharmacists in traditional pharmacies is projected to decline slightly.

The link comes from the bottom of this page

http://www.usj.edu/academics/schools/school-of-pharmacy/