Pharmacy Experience Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gdawg102 said:
I don't know if this differs depending on what state you live in, but in New York they do not require a license. I asked one of the pharmacists and he pretty much flat out said a license is not needed. The ones who hired me didn't even bother to ask me if i had a license. They train u on the spot, and from what it seems most catch on pretty fast. I think in some cases there are pharm techs who get hired without a license and then gain licensure after a while. I bought a pharm tech reference book for the examination expecting to take it as well, but from what it seems it is not mandatory.

Let's not confuse the terms "license", "registered" and "certificaton" when referring to Pharmacy Technicians. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Yah, it does vary by state, and by pharmacy preference. Here, the major pharmacy chain has an 8 week training program that they put you through before you can work as a tech (that's why they don't hire volunteers), and I've heard they actually put zero preference to those with certification because they feel their way of doing things is so different than most pharmacies that it's not going to beneficial to anybody.

The hardest thing to learn as a tech is the computer system (it's not that hard....just takes a bit of practice) and different chains here use different computer systems, so having some general pharm tech certificate doesn't help at all since things are done differently at every chain.

I know alot of people who wasted time on the course and getting certified who totally regret it now though...

That's not true. It takes like one shift to completely learn everything a pharm tech has to do, it's not that hard

This was a very ignorant statement. One shift to completely learn everything, huh? You must underestimate what techs do then. Besides doing the final check and a few other tasks that vary from state to state, techs do everything else in the pharmacy. It takes a good deal of time to train a tech and to find someone with the right attitude and work ethic to be that tech. Also, more and more techs are getting certified and this means their learning is never done because they are required to do contiuing education to maintain their certifications. Their learning takes place over a lifetime...not in a single shift.

Don't make the mistake of underestimating what techs do. They are the glue that holds the pharmacy together. I see it every day. The techs know more about insurance processing, special ordering,etc than the pharmacists do. A pharmacy staff is a team and everyone's role is equally important. It would serve you well to remember that, especially one day when you supervise techs as a pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the insurance procedures in the states are more complicated, but I'm just talking from experience....it's not rocket science what techs do, and anything that's complicated (i.e. how to use the computer...what to put in the computer for insurance plan...etc) can be easily looked up in a manual or on a help screen on the computer.....yes techs are always continuing to learn about various aspects of pharmacy, I didn't deny that, but I mean to actually be able to do what a tech does is not difficult at all.....I'm not saying techs aren't important and what they/we do doesn't matter...my point was just that to be able to be a tech, doesn't require too much training or experience because it can be learned on the job very quickly.

laura_mideon said:
Maybe the insurance procedures in the states are more complicated, but I'm just talking from experience....it's not rocket science what techs do, and anything that's complicated (i.e. how to use the computer...what to put in the computer for insurance plan...etc) can be easily looked up in a manual or on a help screen on the computer.....yes techs are always continuing to learn about various aspects of pharmacy, I didn't deny that, but I mean to actually be able to do what a tech does is not difficult at all.....I'm not saying techs aren't important and what they/we do doesn't matter...my point was just that to be able to be a tech, doesn't require too much training or experience because it can be learned on the job very quickly.

I daresay that being a tech is not easy. Being a tech is definitely not rocket science, but I don't think it's something that anyone can do. Like OSURxGirl says, it is very difficult to find someone who is willing to put up with the things that techs do put up with, most of the time for unsatisfactory pay -- it's not for the faint of heart.

The reason that it would serve you well to remember this is that this attitude will determine how you treat your techs once you become a pharmacist. I have worked with pharmacists that were techs at some point in their lives, and I've worked with some that were not. By and large, the ones that were not techs tend to think of the job of a technician in a similar manner that you have expressed here have less patience and are far less pleasant to work with.

Now, I know that you obviously have experience working as a tech, but maybe this difference in attitude has something to do with the fact that it's different in the States. I've been working as a technician for just under a year and I still don't know how to do everything; not even close. It took me a month just to get the computer system down pat. I frequently think that dealing with insurance companies is the hardest part of my job, 75% of the time. :rolleyes:

laura_mideon said:

I daresay that being a tech is not easy. Being a tech is definitely not rocket science, but I don't think it's something that anyone can do. Like OSURxGirl says, it is very difficult to find someone who is willing to put up with the things that techs do put up with, most of the time for unsatisfactory pay -- it's not for the faint of heart.

The reason that it would serve you well to remember this is that this attitude will determine how you treat your techs once you become a pharmacist. I have worked with pharmacists that were techs at some point in their lives, and I've worked with some that were not. By and large, the ones that were not techs tend to think of the job of a technician in a similar manner that you have expressed here have less patience and are far less pleasant to work with.

Now, I know that you obviously have experience working as a tech, but maybe this difference in attitude has something to do with the fact that it's different in the States. I've been working as a technician for just under a year and I still don't know how to do everything; not even close. It took me a month just to get the computer system down pat. I frequently think that dealing with insurance companies is the hardest part of my job, 75% of the time. :rolleyes:

I have been browsing and replying to a couple of threads for a few months now but, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight. I have been working as a Medical Technologist for about eight years. I have an AHS in Medical Laboratory Technology and a Bachelors of Health Science. I was wondering if I should get some pharmacy experience or if working in the health care field would suffice for experience. I applied to three schools. MUSC (SCCP), Campbell and Wingate. I don't anticipate getting into Wingate but I feel Campbell and MUSC (SCCP) are possibilites. My GPA for pharmCAS is yet to be calculated although I have sent out the supplementals already. My GPA is 3.4 for all the classes I have taken excluding my BHS and 3.78 for my undergrad. I am taking the PCAT next week. What do you all think? :confused: :scared:

pharmdwannab said:
I have been browsing and replying to a couple of threads for a few months now but, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight. I have been working as a Medical Technologist for about eight years. I have an AHS in Medical Laboratory Technology and a Bachelors of Health Science. I was wondering if I should get some pharmacy experience or if working in the health care field would suffice for experience. I applied to three schools. MUSC (SCCP), Campbell and Wingate. I don't anticipate getting into Wingate but I feel Campbell and MUSC (SCCP) are possibilites. My GPA for pharmCAS is yet to be calculated although I have sent out the supplementals already. My GPA is 3.4 for all the classes I have taken excluding my BHS and 3.78 for my undergrad. I am taking the PCAT next week. What do you all think? :confused: :scared:

If you do well on PCAT, I honestly think you will be fine for SCCP.

illusions said:
If you do well on PCAT, I honestly think you will be fine for SCCP.

Thanks for the info! MUSC is my first choice since I am an alumni and I work here as well. Not only that, I am origianlly from Charleston so it would be nice not to have to relocate. I have been studying for the PCAT and I am taking it Saturday! I hope I do well! Thanks again!

Hi Im 16 years old and I live in New Jersey. Im in the 11th grade and my dream is to be a pharmacist... blah blah blah you know how it goes. Anyway this summer I volunteered at a hospital in my town in the pharmacy department. At the end of the summer they decided that a 15 year old does the job better then the 40 year old + techs working there so I was offered a job. I love the career and it doesnt seem boring to me in any way. The people there are really nice and several of them offered to write me recommendations for college.

Anyway next year ill be applying at Rutgers for the Pharmacy 6-year program. The only problem is that I dont think that I will do AMAZING on the SATs (prolly pull a 2000). I was wondering how important my work experience will be for the college. By the time I'm apply I will have already worked for more then a year at the pharmacy. Just wondering how ill compare to other students who have higher SAT scores. Im fine in other areas (4.0+ gpa, AP/Honor classes). Ive heard some rumors that colleges like to accept in-state students more then out of state students? Is that true? Also does any know if Rutgers opperates on a first-come first-serve basis? Ive also been told that students who apply early have a greater chance of getting in?

Thanks for replies!

You would need to call Rutgers and talk with an advisor. I can't really answer this for you, because Rutgers has the 0+6 program. What I can say is that work experience is priceless, though many people get into pharmacy school without having prior pharmacy experience. Good luck to you. :)

Getting accepted to the college you want will likely depend on your GPA and admission test and then your extra curricular activities. So experience will help, but it will not totally nullify a below average GPA or SAT/ACT/PCAT. You should check with the school that you would like to go to for statistics. As for the in state and out of state admissions, it is true that a state school will give preference to its residents for special programs. This doesn't necessarily mean that if you are out of state you will not get in, but realize that you will be stuck with the out of state tuition until you become a resident. I would suggest finding other programs as back ups because you never know what will happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average sat score for Rutgers is 1090-1270 or something like that. The problem with that is that those scores are for the whole school, and not just pharmacy. Im pretty sure you cant specifically find only pharmacy average SAT scores. Also those are averages for the old SAT (theres a new once out since march 2005) so idk if those scores derectly relate to the new one. Im scoring higher then 1270 (translated from new max score of 2400) but im still not sure how that will compare with other students.

And if i dont get into Rutgers I will probably try Albany, Massachusets (sp?), or Long Island/Brooklyn Pharmacy schools. All three of these boost impressive 50%+ acceptance rates so Im bound to get in somewhere. Right? lol

My issue is that I have been trouble getting a pharmacy related job. If my GPA is high (3.7+) and I get a high PCAT score (90+?), will I get easily slip into pharmacy school without the experience of working in a pharmacy?

Does anyone recommend any schools I should apply to that dont ask for recommendation from pharmacist and experience in a pharmacy etc?

Im not saying these pharmacy related experiences arent important to me, but Ive been turned down when I applied for positions in retail pharmacies probably because I dont have good work experience (only had 1 unrelated job and also tutored people in college if that counts for anything).

Any other suggestions?

Have a gr8 Christmas,

Plowi

Plowi said:
My issue is that I have been trouble getting a pharmacy related job. If my GPA is high (3.7+) and I get a high PCAT score (90+?), will I get easily slip into pharmacy school without the experience of working in a pharmacy?

Does anyone recommend any schools I should apply to that dont ask for recommendation from pharmacist and experience in a pharmacy etc?

Im not saying these pharmacy related experiences arent important to me, but Ive been turned down when I applied for positions in retail pharmacies probably because I dont have good work experience (only had 1 unrelated job and also tutored people in college if that counts for anything).

Any other suggestions?

Have a gr8 Christmas,

Plowi

Are you telling prospective employers about why you want the job? In my experience, mentioning pharmacy school makes a big difference. Taking the PTCB may help too, since there are certain things that they know they won't need to train you very heavily on. You have to understand that it takes a lot of work to train a pharmacy technician well, so don't take it personally if you get turned down by a few places; you just may be dealing with an RPh who's too stressed to train someone totally new. I would recommend trying a place like Walmart, Target, Kroger's, etc. In general they don't do as much volume as an Eckerd or CVS or something like that, and the pharmacy generally gets more help.

Also, in my opinion, I feel that I fared much better during my interview process having had ~1 year of experience working in a pharmacy. I don't think it's necessary but definitely a plus when you're trying to get an adcom to take you seriously. PharmCAS has a listing of schools and their LOR requirements, but I can't speak for schools that don't; you may have to contact them individually.

Good luck! :luck:

Plowi
If you take that kind of attitude into pharmacy school you wont get very far. I know you've tried many places already, but don't give up. If you want pharmacy experience you just have to find a local hospital, preferably government owned, and start volunteering at the pharmacy there. Why government owned you might ask? That's because they are under a different law and even without a PT license you can still fill prescription and do a lot other stuff that you cannot do anywhere else. And yes a letter from a pharmacist is very important because it shows the school that you actually talked to someone in the field and know exactly what your getting yourself into. It's also very easy to get a letter from a pharmacist without working for them. You can just talk to your local pharmacist and after a while I'm pretty sure once they get to know you they would be glad to write you a letter.

Thanks for the advice boys. Im really learning the inside scoop about the admission process thanks to you. Sorry about the attitude, I just dont like this college stuff much anymore, its hard to continue to take it seriously.

Plowi said:
Thanks for the advice boys. Im really learning the inside scoop about the admission process thanks to you. Sorry about the attitude, I just dont like this college stuff much anymore, its hard to continue to take it seriously.

I understand how you feel. I have been unable to find a position as well, even when I tell them that I'm applying to pharmacy school. Though, they look at my degree (mechanical engineering) and are like, don't you really want an engineering job? Nooo, why else would I be applying for a tech job? And where the heck is this "shortage of pharmacists" everyone keeps talking about? ;) Every place I go to is saturated, usually with techs.

I may eventually get a job at one of the hospitals here. Since my mom is a nurse there, she introduced me to their coordinator. However, even she has told me they are full right now. If all else fails, I guess I'll offer to volunteer. I think hospitals take volunteers more than retail pharmacies. I'm hoping something will open up in January. So my advice is to keep trying, and target hospitals and even independent retail pharmacies (they may not have as much bureaucratic red tape to go through).

starsweet said:
I understand how you feel. I have been unable to find a position as well, even when I tell them that I'm applying to pharmacy school. Though, they look at my degree (mechanical engineering) and are like, don't you really want an engineering job? Nooo, why else would I be applying for a tech job? And where the heck is this "shortage of pharmacists" everyone keeps talking about? ;) Every place I go to is saturated, usually with techs.

I may eventually get a job at one of the hospitals here. Since my mom is a nurse there, she introduced me to their coordinator. However, even she has told me they are full right now. If all else fails, I guess I'll offer to volunteer. I think hospitals take volunteers more than retail pharmacies. I'm hoping something will open up in January. So my advice is to keep trying, and target hospitals and even independent retail pharmacies (they may not have as much bureaucratic red tape to go through).

Mechanical engineering, whew... But yeah you still got the connections at least. I hear you about that shortage, no one is exactly advertising it at least =(

bananaface said:
My area gets oversaturated with pharm techs from all the retraining programs for laid off workers.

I had to laugh in agreement at this, because when I got laid off in July, I went to CVS, Walgreens, etc. and they told me they already had gotten calls from other laid off workers at my company. ;) The difference of course was that they just wanted a job for unemployment benefits, but I actually wanted to go to pharmacy school. But, I don't think they got in either, since my area really is oversaturated.

starsweet said:

As you have said, the shortage is with PHARMACISTS, not pharmacy techs...

Plowi said:

Plowi

Who says you need to "work" at a pharmacy? The easiest thing to do is to volunteer at a local hospital pharmacy...you don't have to worry about HIPPA, and everyone loves a volunteer.

I got into University of Kentucky (early decision) with 3.8 GPA/99 PCAT and less than one month's experience working in a pharmacy. My friend was admitted with 3.6/99 and no experience. We had both done some shadowing and research about the field. We are both older (30+), career changers.

It's hard to speak convincingly about why pharmacy is for you without one of the three: experience, shadowing, research.

BiOGoly said:
The easiest thing to do is to volunteer at a local hospital pharmacy...you don't have to worry about HIPPA, and everyone loves a volunteer.

Volunteers are still expected to not discuss any specific patient information they may come across while volunteering.

I shadowed a pharmacist for a few hours and got to interview her. Try the night shift pharmacists..they love company during their lonely hours at work by themselves.

I dont think experience in a pharmacy is absolutely necessary but definetly helps...I know people at my school who had absolutely no experience in pharmacy and got in just fine. Just do your research and you'll be fine.

FutureRxGal said:
Volunteers are still expected to not discuss any specific patient information they may come across while volunteering.

Well, I think that kinda goes without saying, don't you?

I was refering to the problem a lot of people have in shadowing/observing pharmacists...a number of years ago you could walk right into a hostipal pharmacy or a Walgreens and do some shadowing. From what I've heard most retail pharmacies won't even consider shadowing now, it's not worth the trouble...and hospital pharmacies require a bunch of paper work from your school. If you are a hospital volunteer, you don't have to worry about your schools involvement, you just fill out the volunteer forms and you're in.

If you want to volunteer, you should see if a hospital in your area has a program. Alot of times hospitals won't hire you as a tech unless you have some experience so that is a good way to get some and get to know the pharmacists.

I had a horrible time too. I passed the National Tech Certification, yet still didnt get a call back from the 1/2 dozen places I tried, probably in no small part due to the fact that I am working full time, and am going to school part time so I only wanted about 8-10 hours a week.

Volunteering is were I ended up. I have learned a lot, and have had a LOT of independence and have even participated in a discussion with the docs and nurses suggestions for patient meds.

So dont give up. You just may have to get creative.

If you end up with no hands on experience, try to see if you can at least shadow a pharmacist by phone or something before your interview, so when/if they ask you can say that you at least have a general idea what the job entails.

Plowi said:

Any other suggestions?

Have a gr8 Christmas,

Plowi

Pharmacy experience is important only if you are "borderline". With your GPA and PCAT you should not have problems getting into schools in your state. Why don't you just do some volunteer work (without pay) in a local pharmacy so you can put that experience down on your application. It is more important to let the school know you your desire of wanting to be a pharmacist. If you can get an earlier interview, then your chance will be very good.

BiOGoly said:
Well, I think that kinda goes without saying, don't you?

I was refering to the problem a lot of people have in shadowing/observing pharmacists...a number of years ago you could walk right into a hostipal pharmacy or a Walgreens and do some shadowing. From what I've heard most retail pharmacies won't even consider shadowing now, it's not worth the trouble...and hospital pharmacies require a bunch of paper work from your school. If you are a hospital volunteer, you don't have to worry about your schools involvement, you just fill out the volunteer forms and you're in.

Both hospitals that I looked into volunteering at required that volunteers attended a HIPAA training course. A lot of HIPAA seems like common sense, but there are little snippets of the law that are not necessarily so "common sense." If you plan to work in a pharmacy it's still a crucial step you must take in learning about the profession.

Golden Eagle said:
Pharmacy experience is important only if you are "borderline". With your GPA and PCAT you should not have problems getting into schools in your state. Why don't you just do some volunteer work (without pay) in a local pharmacy so you can put that experience down on your application. It is more important to let the school know you your desire of wanting to be a pharmacist. If you can get an earlier interview, then your chance will be very good.

I disagree to an extent. I think experience is part of convincing a potential college of pharmacy of your desire to be a pharmacist. I was not a borderline applicant, but I don't know how I would have gotten thru my interview without drawing on my pharmacy experience. I don't know how I would have been able to convincingly write my personal statement without drawing on my pharmacy experience, either.

Experience counts for something, otherwise some schools wouldn't make it an admissions requirement.

....To add to that, you really should keep trying until you get something related to pharmacy (job or volunteering). There are too many people who don't, and then hate it when they start school, etc. They didn't know what a pharmacist ACTUALLY did. And yes, it's more than fill scripts... :)

Well working as a pharmacy tech will definitly look admirable.
However, there are other options such as volunteering or shadowing
pharmacists. Schools just want to make sure that you have explored the pharmacy field. I worked for a pharmaceutical company and shadowed a pharmacist. I still got accepted to my top choice so there are other options. Hope this helps!

It certainly won't hurt, but its not a requirement for most schools. I've never worked in a pharmacy, but just did a little bit of shadowing and have been very careful to explain how I got interested in pharmacy during my interviews.

Definitely get experience working in the pharmacy. Although it's not a requirement, it can only help and be looked upon favorably. At all of my interviews (attended four and declined two since I got into my first choice), I was asked about my experience working in the pharmacy. Besides doing it to make yourself look good, you should want to do it so that you know what you're getting yourself into, that you're sure and know why you want to pursue pharmacy as a career.

jiger104 said:
Hello all, im currently a pre-pharm student at UH. Through some connections I was able to get a job as a PSA (pharmacy service associate) at CVS, and i'm studying for the pharm-tech license.

Just wanted to know does previous experience mean alot when interviewing and applying? And do many other students applying have previous experience as well?

Anyways thanks for your help.

My GPAs and PCAT were'nt that good but I had pharmacy volunteer/work experience and ended up getting two interviews and have been accepted to one of the schools that I applied to so far. I agree with the rest of the posts, the admissions people want to know that you just didn't hear that pharmacy was a lucrative career so you decided to try it out. They want to know that you've spent some time in a pharmacy and know what it's about. Good luck!

At the end of my Interview, the professor interviewing me could not believe that I was a pharmacy technician for so long. SHe was definately impressed. She said I showed committment to the pharmacy field....I guess it definately doesnt hurt!!

Pharmacy experience comes in very handy at interviews because it allows you to apply what you learned to the questions the school asks. As we all know, there's a lot of politics involved with pharmacy and it gives you a chance to prove you're a thoughtful and intelligent person.

I know you said you are already working at a pharmacy, but for others reading this post who aren't, I would recommend getting a job as a pharm tech (even if you don't plan going into community pharmacy as a career choice). It's very easy to get a job-- just go into any pharmacy and ask if they're hiring. I found a job only 3 days after I filled out applications. I visted 5 stores. :)

thaliagoo said:
Pharmacy experience comes in very handy at interviews because it allows you to apply what you learned to the questions the school asks. As we all know, there's a lot of politics involved with pharmacy and it gives you a chance to prove you're a thoughtful and intelligent person.

I know you said you are already working at a pharmacy, but for others reading this post who aren't, I would recommend getting a job as a pharm tech (even if you don't plan going into community pharmacy as a career choice). It's very easy to get a job-- just go into any pharmacy and ask if they're hiring. I found a job only 3 days after I filled out applications. I visted 5 stores. :)

Yeah but it doesnt cancel out bad gpas right? I have a 3.0 gpa and a 76 PCAT with 3 yrs of pharmacy. I dont think thats very impressive.

jiger104 said:
Hello all, im currently a pre-pharm student at UH. Through some connections I was able to get a job as a PSA (pharmacy service associate) at CVS, and i'm studying for the pharm-tech license.

Just wanted to know does previous experience mean alot when interviewing and applying? And do many other students applying have previous experience as well?

Anyways thanks for your help.
I agree with other posters - I have found having experience to be invaluable, not only in my interviews but also for when I was still writing essays for the applications. I know that Mercer's website says around 90% of their class will have some form of pharmacy work before they start pharmacy school, so yes - I'd say a lot of your fellow applicants will also have experience.

if i was in charge of admissions, i would make it a prereq to work/volunteer for a certain number of hours in a pharmacy. it is great experience and weeds out people who are not serious or people who would later find out pharmacy is not the career for them.

museabuse said:
if i was in charge of admissions, i would make it a prereq to work/volunteer for a certain number of hours in a pharmacy. it is great experience and weeds out people who are not serious or people who would later find out pharmacy is not the career for them.

But does it matter how long you have worked in a pharmacy. for example someone who has worked for a year vs three years? i dont think that makes a difference.

rkothari said:
But does it matter how long you have worked in a pharmacy. for example someone who has worked for a year vs three years? i dont think that makes a difference.
if i were to make working/volunteering a prereq for pharm school, i would say 250 hours. that should give u enough insight into pharmacy and wether or not you like it.

It seems so diffcult (for me at least) to get any kind of pharmacy experience without a darn pharmacy tech degree. I work at a retail store and asked the pharmacist there if he'd let me work in the pharmacy. I got a polite "no." Any suggestions on how to gain some experience?

I wonder where the poster lives at? I live in Alabama, and the word "shadowing" and the prospect of volunteering has been kind of ackward. I am willing to volunteer, but I got a laugh when I mentioned it to the last pharmacist I spoke to about a job.

I just wanted to mention that since I hear about shadowing alot on the board here. After I complete my technician certification, if I still can't get in as a technician then I will have to have them take it more seriously.