Pharmacy Experience Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We were told that working in a pharmacy definately helps for learning drugs if you haven't worked in a pharmacy, you should start be this semester. By working in a pharmacy, you get to pick up the bottle, count out the pills and therefore have a visual to go along with the name. I'm not good at memorizing things unless I draw shapes around the words. I need to recall an image, so it has worked wonders for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where to find this 200 drugs list? I googled it but all that came up were the top 200 drugs from various years (2002, 2000, and 2003), is that the same thing?

The top 200 drugs change every year, which explains why there are different versions.

Bananaface's sticky shows where you can find an up-to-date list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone-I have been browsing the site and am a new pre-pharm student(formally agribusiness)-I have seen a lot of you are applying and have boocoos (lots) of hours in pharmacys or are pharm techs. How important is this on a pharm school app? I have sent letters out to my local pharms in search of shadowing or vol oppertunites. Will just vol hrs be enough? I just quit my fav job every to concentrate on ochem, but think I may be able to go back to work in spr-should i shoot for a pharm instead of going back to my non-med/pharm jo? Thanks in advance!

mbrindley said:
Hey everyone-I have been browsing the site and am a new pre-pharm student(formally agribusiness)-I have seen a lot of you are applying and have boocoos (lots) of hours in pharmacys or are pharm techs. How important is this on a pharm school app? I have sent letters out to my local pharms in search of shadowing or vol oppertunites. Will just vol hrs be enough? I just quit my fav job every to concentrate on ochem, but think I may be able to go back to work in spr-should i shoot for a pharm instead of going back to my non-med/pharm jo? Thanks in advance!

Wow, it seems as if you are very dedicated! I have only been working in a pharmacy for the past few months, but I think any kind of expereince is always a plus. I think a volunteer job or shadowing opportunity would definitely help, not only in the application process, but for your own personal benefit. Good luck!

it's better to have it than none. and it's easier for you when it comes to application. you can talk about the pharm experience on paper and during interview. good luck.

I had no prior pharmacy experience and my butt is sitting in pharmacy school everyday at 8:00. However, I did do alot of volunteer work. One has to have something to put on the application or it will look pretty blank. I did alot of volunteering in hospitals, youth groups, and school. I think one has to prove that they are willing to help others. Just writing it down on the personal statement doesn't cut it. It is difficult to find volunteer experiences in a pharmacy. Hospitals are always looking for volunteers and it gives one valuable patient contact.

same as above. no pharmacy experience but had a lot of volunteering experience in the community and at the hospital. if you can't get a hospital pharmacy volunteer experience, just volunteer in any department to get acquainted with other health professionals and improve on your communications. Also, this is a great opportunity to explore the specialities of clinical pharm (oncology, emergency, etc).

excellent ideas thanks everyone :D

Hey anyone out there who has gone through Pharmschool app.....

I am a career changer. Meaning i have a bachelors in Finance and worked as a consultant for 3 years and have decided to go back to pharm school to expand my education and get into managed care or phamaceutical consulting. Anyhoo, does anyone know if i have any leverage of having a bachelors and some experience in order to get into school? My grades are high but im scared my PCAT score wont be as im a bad multiple choice test taker. I always do well in written or problem solving tests. Do schools take into consideration my past work experience and my bachelors?

Any advice?

I think that bachelors and work experience are definitely a plus because I didn't get accepted to USC (Souther Calif) last year simply because I did not have a bachelors.

Are you applying to California schools? They don't require a PCAT... something you should consider.

RxGirl said:
I think that bachelors and work experience are definitely a plus because I didn't get accepted to USC (Souther Calif) last year simply because I did not have a bachelors.

Are you applying to California schools? They don't require a PCAT... something you should consider.

Yeah i am applying to UCSF. However I decided to at the last minute and sent my application in postmarked the deadline (Nov. 1). Hopefully I still have the same chance of getting in as others who sent it in earlier.

The only thing is that i have a bachelors in Finance. wonder if it matters....

I think the experience and BS degree will definitely help. The fact that you have spent 3 years in the work force will be another factor that will set you apart from the "typical" candidate, which IMO is a good thing.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
yes yes.. my friend (very high stats) was rejected from uop b/c he wouldnt have his bachelors by the time he was admitted. but i think most of the students applying for pharm school have a bachelors - it almost seems like a given? if you can add some pre-pharm experience to your resume, i think you'll have an even better chance! :)

ps. i envy your high stats! good luck w/ the process :)

I was one of those 'career changers' too-- my major was a LOT more obscure than Finance, and if anything, it seems like schools are more interested in what you have done with your degree rather than if you are a Science Major. Don't let having a 'different' degree discourage you! We have a variety of majors, and though chem/bio/biochem are statistically more prevalent, by no means is it a hindrance to have a different academic background! good luck, and let the interview letters roll in.... (btw, for UCSF, the invitation letters may arrive around holiday-time, so make sure someone is checking your mailbox if you go out of town! they may request that you RSVP for the interview using their webpage- if you miss the RSVP deadline, they may move on to the next person on the list (that was the policy last year.)

Ooops! i totally didn't mean 'obscure' in a negative way- i just meant, 'different than bio/biochem/chem/etc...'... i hope that was clear :)

Apteka said:
I was one of those 'career changers' too-- my major was a LOT more obscure than Finance, and if anything, it seems like schools are more interested in what you have done with your degree rather than if you are a Science Major. Don't let having a 'different' degree discourage you! We have a variety of majors, and though chem/bio/biochem are statistically more prevalent, by no means is it a hindrance to have a different academic background! good luck, and let the interview letters roll in.... (btw, for UCSF, the invitation letters may arrive around holiday-time, so make sure someone is checking your mailbox if you go out of town! they may request that you RSVP for the interview using their webpage- if you miss the RSVP deadline, they may move on to the next person on the list (that was the policy last year.)

Apteka - So UCSF sends out invites around Thanksgiving or Christmas? Just wondering so I can forward my mail home just in case :)

Apteka said:

Thanks Apteka!!! Your message and everyone else's has made me feel a lot more confident. I "high five" everyone who has the guts to just say NO to their current careers if it makes you miserable, and really try something that you realize you love or want to do.

I definately am not discouraged with this process, its just that in general Im a poor Multiple Choice test taker and I just feel as though those PCAT scores may not reflect my aptitude in school.
Guess i just have to try super trooper hard in 10 days. =)

Good luck to all taking the PCAT!

Vandykitten said:
Apteka - So UCSF sends out invites around Thanksgiving or Christmas? Just wondering so I can forward my mail home just in case :)

Late December.

I have a degree in German and my butt warms up a seat everyday in pharmacy school. They just want to see you working towards a goal. Work really hard on that PCAT. Don't just blow it off. It is pretty simple but preparation is needed. You do not have to ace it, just do better than everyone else! I'm terrible at multiple choice exams, particullarly ones that determine your life (ex. SAT & ACT). I just put in a months worth of studying and came out on top.

For those of you who don't have any pharmacy-related experiences, why do you want to do pharmacy?

If you are interested in the health care field, why don't you choose to be a doctor, a nurse or other health professionals?

I think this will be a good interview question for those who never work in a pharmacy before.

Dual business major with a work backgroud in trading. Yes, no pharmacy experience. My bro-in-law is a pharmacist and best friend is in his final year of school, so they sold me on it a bit.

Main reason why I picked pharmacy:

1. Quality of life. If you want to work your butt off and make good money, it is available to you, or if you can live easily on under 100 grand a year and want to work minimal, it is available. I want to keep my current lifestyle with less stress and work time, which pharmacy provides. It will not provide as much money, but life isn't all money.

2. My wife is a nurse, so I couldn't pick that. We needed a bit of variety in the household. It isn't the money here because I know that my wife makes similar pay to pharmacists, but I personally think that pharmacy will be an easier job than nursing. Nurses do most of the work and take all the crap.

3. Doctors are married to their jobs. I don't want that. Once you factor in the money they make vs. the time they put in to get there and time they work once they get there, I think it is a bad investment. Add in them getting sued all the time which really makes it stink.

4. Dentists have to look in peoples mouths all day which I couldn't handle. They will make more money, but like doctors, are married to the job, both through the debt to acquire their practice and the time to make it successful.

I didn't actually consider any other health professions.

I knew to have a stable, consistent job for the next 20 years, I needed to get something health related. When I factored in the above 4 points, pharmacy provided what I need. Having a family, I needed something decent paying that will stay in demand, but I didn't want to be married to my job because I want time to be little league coach, etc. Pharmacy provides that.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on HOW i can become MORE FAMILIAR with the challenges, aspects, expectations, etc. of PHARMACY if I haven't had any experience?

Any advice on how I can increase my chances of being accepted if I don't have experience, and probably will not by the time I apply this June? any personal statement and interview advice?

thanks!

I have never worked in a pharmacy, but our family pharmacist at a small pharmacy allowed me to come in whenever I wanted and hang out and see what they do and answer any questions I needed. He was the same guy who got me interested in pharmacy when he came to talk to us at career day in high school. I would recommend doing that if you can.

Apparently getting experience doesn't mean you have to spend months getting it. Some is better than none otherwise you will sound like a silly ass on interview day. Try and set up an appt. to shadow a pharmacist for half a day or a day at a local hospital.

The admission boards really seem to want you to know what you are getting into. I did not get accepted until I did shadow a pharmacist; this was after my interview (I was initially deferred).

Hi all

I have been thinking a lot about pharmacy lately and it seems this is the rout i want to take now (as opposed to dentistry). I am applying this summer and am wondering how much emphasis the schools put on work experience in a pharmacy setting. I will be shadowing a pharmacist before i write my PS and submit the application. but will not having worked/volunteered as a pharm tech really hinder my application?? (i have ample experienece in a dental office that will probably not be included on the application)

Since you wrote that you will applying this summer, that leaves you with plenty of time to gain "valuable pharmacy experience". lol

I had no pharm tech experience, but I did volunteer in a hospital on the oncology ward for over a year. In my statements I made sure they knew that I wanted to do clinical pharmacy and at my interviews when I was asked about pharm experience, I explained my situation. In the end, I got in. So yes you can get in without experience.

However, pharmacy experience can do nothing but help your application. It confirms the admission board's belief that you know what you are getting into. Shadowing a pharmacist is definetely a step in the right direction.

I would also put your dental offfice experience down--it shows that you have experience working with people/patients.

Hello everyone. I'm kind of new here - I'm mainly just read posts and don't post. Anyway, I have just recently become serious about applying to pharmacy school. I'm currently a college sophomore, and I only have a few more pre-req classes to complete. Although I could apply this fall, I feel like I should wait another year or so before applying. The main reason is that I do not have any pharmacy experience. I have applied for jobs this summer, but have been unsuccessfully mainly because most places prefer not to hire college students, who after August will be returning to school. I have lined up a few shadowing opportunities for the summer, and I also hope to volunteer in a hospital pharmacy.

Mainly, I'm just curious as to how much pharmacy experience people here had before applying to pharmacy school. Also, do most people have experience working as a tech rather than shadowing or volunteering?

Thanks.

tm08 said:
Hello everyone. I'm kind of new here - I'm mainly just read posts and don't post. Anyway, I have just recently become serious about applying to pharmacy school. I'm currently a college sophomore, and I only have a few more pre-req classes to complete. Although I could apply this fall, I feel like I should wait another year or so before applying. The main reason is that I do not have any pharmacy experience. I have applied for jobs this summer, but have been unsuccessfully mainly because most places prefer not to hire college students, who after August will be returning to school. I have lined up a few shadowing opportunities for the summer, and I also hope to volunteer in a hospital pharmacy.

Mainly, I'm just curious as to how much pharmacy experience people here had before applying to pharmacy school. Also, do most people have experience working as a tech rather than shadowing or volunteering?

Thanks.

im a certified tech and will have worked about year when i apply.

I took the Tech test but I was never hired for the same reason as you. Thus I had zero pharmacy work experience when I went in for my interview. However, I did volunteer at a hospital pharmacy through out 1 semester.

Though I didn't have any pharmacy work experience, I made sure to point out that I worked as a customer service employee (fancy for cashier) at a CVS pharmacy for 1 summer & this experience taught me how to treat customers well and to the best of my ability. Basically it gave me good people skills.

Though the interviewers would prefer that you have some pharmacy experience, as long as you know what you're talking about and have knowledge about the subject of pharmacy, you should be okay.

I have been shadowing pharmacists in a few different settings, but I will not really have logged many hours when I need to apply. Are people describing the experiences you had while shadowing, or are you mainly listing the hours ?

With two young children I'm limited on how much shadowing I can do. Any suggestions?

tm08 said:
The main reason is that I do not have any pharmacy experience. I have applied for jobs this summer, but have been unsuccessfully mainly because most places prefer not to hire college students, who after August will be returning to school.

I'm just curious as to how much pharmacy experience people here had before applying to pharmacy school. Also, do most people have experience working as a tech rather than shadowing or volunteering?
Thanks.

I was kinda in the same boat as you. I waited a year; got a job, and got in a few good ECs. I'm applying this year; i'm technically a junior but I'll be graduating with a biology degree in the spring of '06. I had to work during school in order for my boss to take me seriously -- when she found out I'd be willing to work during the semester and not just on weekends, she hired me on the spot.

When you're looking for jobs, if you're willing to work during school, tell them. I got a lot more mileage out of job searching that way. It's a hard thing to work and keep your grades up, but I feel that that kind of thing will help show an adcom without a doubt that you can handle pharmacy school (even though I have no plans of working during my first 2 years).

I felt that my experiences as a tech have been more meaningful in terms of shaping my "why pharmacy" response, but that's just personal preference (I think if you can hack the stress of retail you can hack just about anything -- although what I observed in the hospital was a different sort of stress).

Talk to your school. Get their official position on it (as you well know some schools require experience and some don't) -- see if you can't meet one on one with someone from your COP of interest or a pharmacy advisor and talk it out with them/ask suggestions. From my experience, I would avoid asking questions like:
-"What will help me get in?"
-"What are my chances if I have no experience?"
-"What makes a good applicant?"

Admissions statistics and criteria for the school should answer most questions like these.

Instead, ask questions that are specific to you, like:

"Well since I don't have much experience, in what other areas would you suggest I improve to strengthen my candidacy for pharmacy school?"

This shows that you're not just wantonly applying to pharmacy school, and that you've actually put a great deal of thought into the process. (See many of the what are my chances?!? types of threads. My personal perspective is that it's hard to take people like that seriously; if you want it bad enough you'll make it happen.)

I was fortunate enough to meet with one of the profs at UNC's school of pharmacy and she gave me some very helpful pointers, even though at the time I thought I'd apply, I had no pharmacy experience. Because of her advice, this year I feel very confident about the strength of my application.

RxMom: Are any of the pharmacists you've shadowed parents? Do they have young kids as well? If they've got families, ask them how they balance it all, or any suggestions/insights they'd have for you.

I didn't have a bit of pharmacy experience and I was accepted. One PharmD. student mentor told me that plenty of students have no pharmacy experience prior to pharmacy school, and that you will get plenty of pharmacy experience once you are in the program.

However, I did get asked about it at the interview. Something like "how do you know you want to do pharmacy when you haven't spent any time working in one."

My opinion is that pharm experience is a plus, but that it's not at all necessary. I've worked in healthcare quite a bit so I did have a good idea of the different roles professionals play in the field. This knowledge helped in my personal statement and in my interview.

Bottom line: I think you should go ahead and apply this year. What do you have to lose?

It really depends on the complete package. In my case, I had a really good GPA, really good PCAT, and a good interview, too. Not an ounce of pharmacy experience, and I got in after 2 years of pre-pharmacy classes.

If you don't get any experience and go for an interview, be prepared to explain why you have no experience, and how you know that you want to attend pharmacy school. If you can do that, you'll be fine.

I'm a drug clerk, but I've only been working for a few weeks. Do you still think this will help much? The one school that I'm going to apply to said they won't have applications available until october, so I'll have around 4 months experience then. I'm wondering if that will be a big deal to them or not.

Ugh... Ive spent the past two weeks calling hospitals and applying at pharmacies and so far no bites. Most havent even bothered to return my phone calls or emails. Anybody have any creative ideas on what I can do or places I can try?

Are you looking to volunteer or for paid work?

To volunteer, most hospitals have "volunteer services" websites where you can email a volunteer coordinator, or fill out an online application to volunteer. Emai or call these coordinators and/or fill out these applications, making sure to specify that you wish to volunteer in the area of pharmacy.

A lot of pharmacies do not post their jobs in newspapers, etc. The best way is to go in person to pharmacies with copies of your resume. Try chains, independents and hospitals (for hospitals you will have to mail or fax your resume or go to human resources). If you have no experience, you may first be offered a job as a clerk or cashier before being trained as a tech.

I know some people study for and take the PTCB exam to get tech certification and this can be somewhat helpful in the way of finding a job. Be persistent. I once left a resume to keep on file with a pharmacy that wasn't hiring, and a week later they called me because a tech quit.

If you live near a walgreens, they have an online application you can fill out for tech positions. I believe CVS does, too.

DownonthePharm said:
Ugh... Ive spent the past two weeks calling hospitals and applying at pharmacies and so far no bites. Most havent even bothered to return my phone calls or emails. Anybody have any creative ideas on what I can do or places I can try?
Do what OSURxGirl, and others, suggest: go "door-to-door", dressed professionally (no flip-flops), and drop off your resume and cover letters. Some pharmacy directors will greet you personally, some are too busy and their secretaries will take care of that. That is how I got my current job in a local hospital's inpatient pharmacy.

DownonthePharm said:

I was in your same situation, no matter where I applied, I didn't get anywhere, even though I worked at Walgreens previously and left the "good way." Like it was said earlier I went on to hospital websites and looked for volunteer work. I mailed in a few applications and the one volunteer position I received I emailed the coordinator, told her about myself, and asked if there would be any possible way I could volunteer in their pharmacy, as pharmacy was not one of their volunteer spots at this particular hospital. She talked to the pharmacy manager for me and she agreed to help me out. I officially start on the 16th as they've been making up the orientation process as they go, since they didn't allow volunteer spots in the pharmacy before. Try that, see if you can't get them to make an exception for you. Good luck!

Hi, I hear you, I have been doing that for several days now. I called all bunch of pharmacies in my area, and asked for the Manager. And then told manager that I want to be a pharmacist, and that I am studying prepharm. Some of the managers or pharm techs will get exasperated and will end the convo with there is no position etc. But I managed to get 2 or 3 who asked me to come by for interview and now I got job as pharm tech part time starting on 22nd!! I am not sure about some areas, but i know in new york city there is no requirement to have a license to get the job.

That sucks. Shouldn't you try to pass the Pharm Cert Exam if you want to work? I am going to do that first since I want to have some sort of clue before I start dealing with people's medication. Scary. :eek: I would hate to screw up. I know you aren't the pharmacist, but you still have to deal with insurance and should have a little understanding of basic medicine.

That's not true. It takes like one shift to completely learn everything a pharm tech has to do, it's not that hard. You don't "have" to know about medicine right away, you learn as you go...I don't know why you think you have to know what you're doing before you get trained.

When I was calling around trying to get a volunteer position last year I asked every manager I talked to who said no, if I had a pharm tech license would they consider me. and they said no, most told me pharm tech licenses are useless.

Either way, to the OP, if you can't get into a pharmacy to volunteer just job shadow in as many places and possible and don't give up, get any and every kind of experience possible. Sometimes it's better to job shadow too because then you can talk to the adcom about experiences in all different environments instead of just one.

It took me about a month of calling pharmacies be4 I finally got a volunteer position, but just be persistent and even keep calling the same ones because different people will answer, the place I got my position said no twice be4 they said yes because I talked 2 different people.

MOST IMPORTANTLY ........... be persistent! (I already said that...but it's important!)

laura_mideon said:
That's not true. It takes like one shift to completely learn everything a pharm tech has to do, it's not that hard. You don't "have" to know about medicine right away, you learn as you go...I don't know why you think you have to know what you're doing before you get trained.

When I was calling around trying to get a volunteer position last year I asked every manager I talked to who said no, if I had a pharm tech license would they consider me. and they said no, most told me pharm tech licenses are useless.

Either way, to the OP, if you can't get into a pharmacy to volunteer just job shadow in as many places and possible and don't give up, get any and every kind of experience possible. Sometimes it's better to job shadow too because then you can talk to the adcom about experiences in all different environments instead of just one.

It took me about a month of calling pharmacies be4 I finally got a volunteer position, but just be persistent and even keep calling the same ones because different people will answer, the place I got my position said no twice be4 they said yes because I talked 2 different people.

MOST IMPORTANTLY ........... be persistent! (I already said that...but it's important!)

That is very informative. I have read a few other posts that said it was difficult to learn what to do. I still do want to take the test since I'm sure it still is better to have it than not. But I see you live in Canada,so it might be different in my area of the US or the US in general. I know the laws are different in every state.

DownonthePharm said:

My gf is a prepharm student, and she has found a couple of places to volunteer and even found a few part time pharm clerk jobs. the trick is, try the yellow pages...call around...yes you leave messages but you have to be a bit more aggressive, in otherwords, call again and again. Also, i have also volunteered at the Kaiser permanante pharmacy. this was back when i was in HS, however, and i knew people so im not sure if thats a norm. my gf found volunteer opportunity at private own pharmacies. trust me, it was a tedious several week process but the opportunities are out there, you just have to look and look hard.

laura_mideon said:

This is true, its is not mandatory to have formal training to become a pharm tech unless the pharmacy requires it.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos252.htm

I'm in the same boat. In fact, I posted back since June: I have been already calling pharmacies around the area (as far as 50 miles radius), making my cold calls every Monday/Wednesday (I even grouped the pharmacies based on areas and made my call rotation based on those groups), introducing myself from door to door, following every job lead, etc. This is August and I am still not getting any offer :( and none of them are hiring at this point.

Mind you, I've worked in the industry before (other than health care/pharmacy) and I understand that it takes a while to find a job (it took me about 9 months to find employment after I graduated, and another 2 years to switch between jobs). However, I cannot help but to wonder, if finding a job as a PT is this hard (i.e. considering this position is entry level-by no means management/upper level job), what's going to happen when I graduate 5 years from now? I know this is like comparing apples to oranges, but still.

I don't want to discourage anyone, just wanted to share my grippes. I'm still studying for my PTCB exam in September and I think having licensure, while not necessary, will give anyone an advantage over other candidates (I think it shows that I mean business & seriously want the job). Best of luck to anyone out there, I'm sure there's a job somewhere for us, we just need to be there at the right time and meet the right people :)

pharmfairy said:
That sucks. Shouldn't you try to pass the Pharm Cert Exam if you want to work? I am going to do that first since I want to have some sort of clue before I start dealing with people's medication. Scary. :eek: I would hate to screw up. I know you aren't the pharmacist, but you still have to deal with insurance and should have a little understanding of basic medicine.

You really need to be familiar with the laws of practicing pharm techs
in your state. There is quite a bit of buzz in Texas about certification. Most of the jobs here want experience and certification. The hospitals are also asking that the applicant be registered as well.

:)

I don't know if this differs depending on what state you live in, but in New York they do not require a license. I asked one of the pharmacists and he pretty much flat out said a license is not needed. The ones who hired me didn't even bother to ask me if i had a license. They train u on the spot, and from what it seems most catch on pretty fast. I think in some cases there are pharm techs who get hired without a license and then gain licensure after a while. I bought a pharm tech reference book for the examination expecting to take it as well, but from what it seems it is not mandatory.

pharmfairy said: