Pharmacotherapy discussion - COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDBro2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing my best to stay off social media since there are way too many experts on pharmacotherapy (yet they barely passed high school; discussion for another time I suppose).... anyways I wanted to start a thread to discuss some of the therapy options and the evidence supporting their use or not supporting their use.

-ASHP has a fantastic evidence table and it seems to be updated very regularly (8/19/21 most recently):
-This website is.... interesting. Not sure how credible.

1. Thoughts on ivermectin? I see a lot of anecdotal junk... but the only randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies per ASHP table don't have favorable data for it. Am I missing something? The general public thinks it's a miracle drug... but again they're a few fries (or many) short of a happy meal.

"Randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled trial in hospitalized adults (Ahmed et al): A total of 72 adults with COVID-19 were randomized to receive ivermectin (12 mg orally once daily for 5 days), ivermectin (single 12-mg oral dose) with doxycycline (200 mg orally on day 1, then 100 mg every 12 hours for 4 days), or placebo. The primary end points were time required for virologic clearance (i.e., negative RT-PCR on nasopharyngeal swab) and remission of fever and cough within 7 days. The mean time to viral clearance was 9.7 days in the 5-day ivermectin group, 11.5 days in the ivermectin with doxycycline group, and 12.7 days in the placebo group. There was no significant difference between groups in remission of fever and cough. 14"

"Randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled trial in adults with mild COVID19 (López-Medina et al; NCT04405843): A total of 476 adults (hospitalized or outpatients) with mild disease and symptom onset within the previous 7 days were randomized 1:1 to receive a 5-day regimen of ivermectin (300 mcg/kg daily as an oral solution) or placebo. The primary outcome was the time from randomization to complete resolution of symptoms within the 21 -day follow-up. The primary efficacy analysis population included 398 pts (200 received ivermectin and 198 received placebo). Baseline demographic and disease characteristics were well balanced between groups. Ivermectin treatment did not significantly improve time to resolution of symptoms in pts with mild COVID-19 (median of 10 or 12 days in the ivermectin or placebo group, respectively). At day 21, 82 or 79% of the ivermectin or placebo group, respectively, had complete resolution of symptoms. 21"

"Randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled pilot study to evaluate ivermectin for reduction of SARS-CoV-2 transmission (Chaccour et al): Twelve adults with nonsevere COVID-19 who had no risk factors and symptom onset within the last 72 hours were randomized 1:1 to receive ivermectin (single dose of 400 mcg/kg) or placebo. The primary outcome measure was the proportion of patients with detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA by PCR from nasopharyngeal swab at day 7. Results indicated no difference in the proportion of PCR-positive patients between the ivermectin group and placebo group at day 7 (100% of pts in both groups still had positive PCR). 15"

Discuss, pharmacy friends.

Members don't see this ad.

People are still arguing in favor of ivermectin? I thought that finally settled down like hydroxychloroquine

I’m my mind - ivermectin and/or hcq has gone the way of credibility similar to certain supplements which may have remote benefit however the statistics behind this evidence is plagued with confounders. early on in covid I downloaded something like 3 studies and read them over out of curiosity. I think there was also a recent meta analysis which looked at the data too. Kinda like fish oil for certain cardiovascular conditions. The evidence to support its use is not strong, in any way, however there just may be something there (but what is there is just a unreachable glimmer of hope). And, what is there is not well defined or understood.

with that said - I have worked with providers that have ordered ivermectin and/or hcq to be given along with supportive care like dexamethasone. I have signed off on the orders and put it behind me as I have no desire to make a political issue out of it. In my mind - these drugs are very safe (yea I know about the QT thing and if a patient had something like afib and was already on amiodarone I would take pause) and there is enough investigational evidence to simply justify what I would consider a shot in the dark.

I feel like this is reasonable and not based on political bias. Furthermore - I would currently always advocate vaccination as the best approach to prevent morbidity/mortality associated with covid. And please - before all the “political people” come out of the woodwork - nowhere in my post did I say I would recommend the treatment. I only made one recommendation in this post which I will allow you to find for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m my mind - ivermectin and/or hcq has gone the way of credibility similar to certain supplements which may have remote benefit however the statistics behind this evidence is plagued with confounders. early on in covid I downloaded something like 3 studies and read them over out of curiosity. I think there was also a recent meta analysis which looked at the data too. Kinda like fish oil for certain cardiovascular conditions. The evidence to support its use is not strong, in any way, however there just may be something there (but what is there is just a unreachable glimmer of hope). And, what is there is not well defined or understood.

with that said - I have worked with providers that have ordered ivermectin and/or hcq to be given along with supportive care like dexamethasone. I have signed off on the orders and put it behind me as I have no desire to make a political issue out of it. In my mind - these drugs are very safe (yea I know about the QT thing and if a patient had something like afib and was already on amiodarone I would take pause) and there is enough investigational evidence to simply justify what I would consider a shot in the dark.

I feel like this is reasonable and not based on political bias. Furthermore - I would currently always advocate vaccination as the best approach to prevent morbidity/mortality associated with covid. And please - before all the “political people” come out of the woodwork - nowhere in my post did I say I would recommend the treatment. I only made one recommendation in this post which I will allow you to find for yourself.
Pretty much my opinion.

The big interest in ivermectin seems to come from the Frontline Critical Care COVID-19 Alliance (FLCCC), made up of physicians like Pierre Kory and Paul Marik, who have more optimistic views about ivermectin in light of those studies. To clarify their stance, they are apolitical, pro-vaccination and pro-masking, but they want to push ivermectin as a bridge of sorts before we achieve herd immunity by vaccination.

We'll see how stronger data pans out ...

Reactions: 1 user