People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
Thanks for replying. One more question. Do they have DA questions based on diagrams??

There are no diagrams. but they will ask u occlusion questions and u will have to sit there and visualise it. so make sure u memorize and understand occlusion part in KAPLAN.

dont forget to see the pics. take a pic of it in your mind. also on page 59 (i guess) of dental decks in dental section of the 2012-2013 there is a very good hint on working and non working sides and movements. its great.

Members don't see this ad :)
:):):)
Hi Everyone,

So I got my results today and I passed, what a relief!!, As I stated on my previous posts above, the exam was a little tough... So here is the stuff I used to prepare in case it can help anyone:

1. Kaplan videos and lecture notes for anatomy, biochem and physio (but if you have good basic sciences knowledge you can skip these. I did them because I took my basic science courses almost 18 years ago and I needed a serious refresher).
2. Dental Decks for pathology and dental anatomy.
3. Complete First Aid 3rd Edition book for a final review.
4. For additional reinforcement of dental anatomy and occlusion I used wheeler's anatomy and dental occlusion, Okeson and Ten Cate for dental histology... but just a few pages here and there to what I needed to reinforce.
5. Crack the NBDE: 2 tests (and don't forget to check the answers you got wrong)
6. Testlets from the Kaplan QBanks
7. ASDA previously released exams after 2005. But as I said before, I got few to no repeats.

Hope this helps, if any of you have any questions, please post and I will try to reply!

Best of luck to all!!!

hey guys!
quick question to those who took the test recently!
first part of the test (first 3.5 hrs) is it anatomy and biochemistry-physiology
or mixed questions of all topics? thank you!
god give you all strength! taking the test in a couple of days, trying no to lose it!
:love::love::love:

:):):)
Hi Everyone,

So I got my results today and I passed, what a relief!!, As I stated on my previous posts above, the exam was a little tough... So here is the stuff I used to prepare in case it can help anyone:

1. Kaplan videos and lecture notes for anatomy, biochem and physio (but if you have good basic sciences knowledge you can skip these. I did them because I took my basic science courses almost 18 years ago and I needed a serious refresher).
2. Dental Decks for pathology and dental anatomy.
3. Complete First Aid 3rd Edition book for a final review.
4. For additional reinforcement of dental anatomy and occlusion I used wheeler's anatomy and dental occlusion, Okeson and Ten Cate for dental histology... but just a few pages here and there to what I needed to reinforce.
5. Crack the NBDE: 2 tests (and don't forget to check the answers you got wrong)
6. Testlets from the Kaplan QBanks

HI THERE-CONGRATS ON UR HARD WORK-I HAVE A QUESTION -WHAT IS KAPLAN Q BANK- IS IT ONLINE QBANK FROM KAPTEST-FOR SOME 99 DOLLARS A MONTH OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE????

Hi there-congrats on ur hard work-i have a question -what is kaplan q bank- is it online qbank from kaptest-for some 99 dollars a month or is it something else????

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys!
quick question to those who took the test recently!
first part of the test (first 3.5 hrs) is it anatomy and biochemistry-physiology
or mixed questions of all topics? thank you!
god give you all strength! taking the test in a couple of days, trying no to lose it!
:love::love::love:

they're mixed but mine were mostly DA/OCC snd Anatomy.

dont forget to see the pics. take a pic of it in your mind. also on page 59 (i guess) of dental decks in dental section of the 2012-2013 there is a very good hint on working and non working sides and movements. its great.

hi dentalstud..
i've I to N ASDA papers.. r they sufficient or do i need to get the latest one.. how was ur paper pattern?? does decks covered all the topic ?? TIA

Hey ,
papaer pattern was similar to asda. but there were testlets also. it started at last 50 questions of the 1st section and continued on after the break onto the next section. there will be around 7- 8 testlets or maybe 10 . i dunno everyone has different experience i guess. but pattern was similar to ASDA. and u have the latest one that is the N series. do it in and out from I-N if thast what you have. that is fine. but i will suggest if u find previous versions do those as well. GOOD LUCK!

Hey ,
papaer pattern was similar to asda. but there were testlets also. it started at last 50 questions of the 1st section and continued on after the break onto the next section. there will be around 7- 8 testlets or maybe 10 . i dunno everyone has different experience i guess. but pattern was similar to ASDA. and u have the latest one that is the N series. do it in and out from I-N if thast what you have. that is fine. but i will suggest if u find previous versions do those as well. GOOD LUCK!

that was really helpful.. i do have previous versions of ASDA.. what all u studied for the exam.. i've read kaplan twice but not able to remember much.. how many series for ASDA then.. how was testlets.. r they straightforward

well i just did decks for all. i reviewd anatomy from first aid and i did decks and kaplan for both DA/OCC. and i did a few only series of asda. not all cuz of lack of time.

no there arent. but keep the pics in your mind because you will have to visualize it on the exam.

hello everyone,
i have been asking everyone here about their exams and everyone really helped and i appreciate it. Thank u all. And now its my turn to contribute to it.
I took my exam yesterday, sorry i wasn't able to write this all yesterday.
I studied but in intervals, as in not in a continuous three straight months because i don't have that kind of a temperament, so i studied for this last 3 weeks continuous. I was left with a lot of reviewing tho till the end but here is my experience: Exam was equally balanced in terms of difficulty. I found the exam to be relatively easy not just because the exam itself was easy, its here on the forums that the exam is tough and i expected way beyond that. Its tricky and as long as you have done your decks thoroughly and first aid i'm sure u will ace it. Nothing was out of course except some genetic stuff that were hardly one or two questions. Questions were similar to asda. No case scenarios apart from testlets. I just had 7 testlets. And they were easy, dentally related but some medical stuff incorporated and also some ethical stuff. But the subjects weren't equally divided. Mine was ~65% i can bet on it was only dental anatomy and occlusion. Every second or third question was da and occlusion. Lots and lots of questions on tmj and its ligaments, nerve and blood supply. It was tough. Know your occlusion well and the other major portion was of anatomy around 15% and all were mostly related to head and neck. 2 or 4 questions on limbs and abdomen combined. I was asked micro a few questions. And i also had 15 repeats atleast. The remaining were path and physio and biochem. I just had basic biochem. I will say occlusion was tough. Real tough but other subjects were basic. I screwed up big time and im just praying that i pass. I wish i would have revised my occlusion. I thought my da was strong but i screwed up. Morpho was crazy! They asked us to compare different teeth at different intervals and age groups blah blah. My advise will be to do morpho really really well also. Know each and every single aspect from every angle. I really hope i pass. Over all the exam was a good one. Do not freak out. They were simple and to the point answers but tricky ones and a few had very close options and yea a few were like wth.. Lol and a few were like are u serious? Could it be this easy?..haha but over all a good exam. If i god forbid dont pass it will be entirely my fault. The test was easy. I knew it but it was all jumbled up.
In short: Occlusion occlusion and dental anatomy in and out!! Cover to cover. I did kaplan and decks for da the rest i did decks. I also did first aid on the last day for just anatomy review and to my surprise the notes on the sides in first aid are the questions on the exam. Over all it was a good exam, tricky , tough, easy all balanced. Do not freak out. You get one hour break in between relax and eat thats all. If u all need to ask me anything ask here. Ill reply as soon as i can. Good luck to you all!
i passed!!!:):):) alhamdolillah!!

Hey dentalstud,
How many questions according to u did u do correctly. I mean what percentage?

thanks. but LOL.. i really didnt know. the first section was a bit tough but the second one was relatively easy. but i really cannot tell how many were correct.

practice test was from asda only. i used to sit still for straight 4 hours. because u MUST practice that. its all teh stamina they judge to see how well can u work under pressure. so practice that. and with decks 2013 u also get testlets notebook. if u dont have it. PM me ur email id i will email u.

practice test was from asda only. i used to sit still for straight 4 hours. because u MUST practice that. its all teh stamina they judge to see how well can u work under pressure. so practice that. and with decks 2013 u also get testlets notebook. if u dont have it. PM me ur email id i will email u.

hi dentalstud.. it would be g8 if u can send me that testlets.. my email id is [email protected].. thanks!!

First of all congrats on your part 1 success.i am planning to appear soon.just had few questions.did you take the "crack the nbde"?any suggestions on first aid qbank book?i am done with the knowledge part that is reading decks and kaplan now I wanna test whether I can reproduce my knowledge.want to now focus on doing questions.please suggest.

First of all congrats on your part 1 success.i am planning to appear soon.just had few questions.did you take the "crack the nbde"?any suggestions on first aid qbank book?i am done with the knowledge part that is reading decks and kaplan now I wanna test whether I can reproduce my knowledge.want to now focus on doing questions.please suggest.

Hey,
I never used crack the NBDE so i cannot comment on it. and neither i used first aid Qbank. it is always good to solve as many questions as you can so that you can judge yourself were u stand. i just did ASDA. i never was able to do it completely. i just did E,F,G,H,I, and then i didnt have time so i jumped to M and N. and i did all of them once. but i can guarentee out of these i had 12-15 repeats. so if you can do all of teh ASDA as well as other question sources than you will have a very high chance of clearing the exam. i found occlsuion to be the toughest of all. the rest were easy. everyone has diffenet exp. keep ur prep upto the mark and solve as many questions as you can. they say last week should only be questions. just do those and if possible review the side notes on first aid nbde. i never used kaplan either except for the DA/OCC part. Good luck with your exam just trust yourself.

I have messaged you my email id ..
You are right, should start practicing for continuous sitting..
Thanks for reply..

Hey dentstud11. Congrats for passing Part1! How long did it take for the results to come in? Also in your opinion you would put da/occ first followed by anatomy of h/d and then from there what else would cram in? I have like a month left so Im trying to find out what other people think and feel for part1. Thanks.

Hey FFH05,
Thank you. well the result took 16 days including the day of the exam.many got it in 15 days and some in 12 and some in 9 days. so its different fro everyone. well in my opinion DA/OCC is first but the rest can vary. like some ppl i know had physio alot more than anatomy and some had path/micro. but usually most of them had anatomy more. so i cant really tell you but all i know is DA/OCC are more or less half of the paper. its not that you only do DA/OCC . its just that it should be focused more than other subjects. you have a month. utilize is well. u can ace it without a hassle. just solve as many questions as you can from as many sources as you can. do not buy but look fro it online. there are many nbde apps on smart phones which have many questions for you to solve. you have a good time to review all your syllabus atleast 1 and a half time ro maybe twice depnds on your prep. all haven different experiences so make you do your best. Good Luck. if you have any other questions do let me know :)

Hello everyone,
I am planning to take the NBDE part 1 next feb...and I didnt start studying or anything and I dont even have the material
So if anyone could help me out with knowing the material I need, and from where to study and everything that would be great.

Also if anyone wants to sell their materials that would be helpful

Also, if you are planning to take the NBDE part 2 since you guys are done with the first part...can you plz tell me the materials I need for that one too?

Thanks alot guys

Hello everyone,
I am planning to take the NBDE part 1 next feb...and I didnt start studying or anything and I dont even have the material
So if anyone could help me out with knowing the material I need, and from where to study and everything that would be great.

Also if anyone wants to sell their materials that would be helpful

Also, if you are planning to take the NBDE part 2 since you guys are done with the first part...can you plz tell me the materials I need for that one too?

Thanks alot guys
Part1: latest dental decks 2012-2013, kaplan(only and only for dental anatomy and occlusion) if possible first six chaps of okeson, first aid nbde for final review. and ASDA released papers.
3 months continuous prep is what you need. but if u have weaker concepts take your time since u have a whole yr for it. solve as many questions as you can.

Part2: Mosby, Tufts Pharma(PM me if u want it with ur email id), and dental decks for part 2, and asda released papers. if u buy original mosby u will get a dvd with it with cases in it for part2.

Hello Everybody !!! I took my exam on saturday (may 4th) I will say that at the beginning of the test I was surprised of how nice the questions were!! I was Like WOW this is going to be good !! But as the questions kept on coming they would get harder !! I had about 30 repeat questions, 8 testlets, and many questions I had no idea what the answer was !!! I am really hoping for a PASS! but I really think I didn't get enough questions !! We will have to wait 3-4 weeks to know !! ;) IT IS TOUGH !!!

Hello Everybody !!! I took my exam on saturday (may 4th) I will say that at the beginning of the test I was surprised of how nice the questions were!! I was Like WOW this is going to be good !! But as the questions kept on coming they would get harder !! I had about 30 repeat questions, 8 testlets, and many questions I had no idea what the answer was !!! I am really hoping for a PASS! but I really think I didn't get enough questions !! We will have to wait 3-4 weeks to know !! ;) IT IS TOUGH !!!

Hey, I felt the same but i passed :) and so will you. mine took 16 days at the US address. if you have put your home country address it will take 4 weeks.

hi roxy!!! good luck for your result.. which subject was tested most n which was least.. did u get any pic questions for DA/OCC.. i'm appearing for exam shortly:scared: TIA

Hey,
I never used crack the NBDE so i cannot comment on it. and neither i used first aid Qbank. it is always good to solve as many questions as you can so that you can judge yourself were u stand. i just did ASDA. i never was able to do it completely. i just did E,F,G,H,I, and then i didnt have time so i jumped to M and N. and i did all of them once. but i can guarentee out of these i had 12-15 repeats. so if you can do all of teh ASDA as well as other question sources than you will have a very high chance of clearing the exam. i found occlsuion to be the toughest of all. the rest were easy. everyone has diffenet exp. keep ur prep upto the mark and solve as many questions as you can. they say last week should only be questions. just do those and if possible review the side notes on first aid nbde. i never used kaplan either except for the DA/OCC part. Good luck with your exam just trust yourself.

Thank you so much for the reply.all your suggestions are very helpful to everyone here on this forum.the best part of your replies are that they are very genuine and you really try to help others in your best possible way.thank you once again.