People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

practice test was from asda only. i used to sit still for straight 4 hours. because u MUST practice that. its all teh stamina they judge to see how well can u work under pressure. so practice that. and with decks 2013 u also get testlets notebook. if u dont have it. PM me ur email id i will email u.

It would be great if u send to me also thank u my email ,,,[email protected]

Last edited:
I have the 2012-2013 Decks and the released Qs from the 90s-2009..... Kaplan is not only a waste of time but also it makes you want to quit on studying! the wording and organizing of the book is terrible:mad:. the USMLE videos is boring and too many details you will never be asked about... there Q bank is very confusing! don't spend one minute on the Q bank, spend every minute on the released questions YOU have to do hundreds of released the more you do the more you close to pass.. I also used first aide for dental anatomy as it was about 30 pages after I finished decks and it was very organized, straight to the point and from my experience they DO use a lot of first aide dental anatomy wording in the exam. GOOD LUCK

is the nbde crack usful? and if i did the relased exams without the crack is that enough!! i need the N released exam i have them all except this one if u emailed me with it,, it would be nice from u =)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
People who passed the NBDE, can you please tell me which one is better? I'm choosing between crackthenbde and Caplan Qbank to practice.
Thanks a lot!

Hello.. To anybody with previous experience in taking the nbde1..Are all questions distributed evenly for each subject? For example if its a 400 question exam, will it be 100 anatomical science 100 pathology and micro 100 biochemistry and 100 dental anatomy questions? Ive heard some people say there is more dental anatomy..please share experience..

Hello.. To anybody with previous experience in taking the nbde1..Are all questions distributed evenly for each subject? For example if its a 400 question exam, will it be 100 anatomical science 100 pathology and micro 100 biochemistry and 100 dental anatomy questions? Ive heard some people say there is more dental anatomy..please share experience..

in my exam i felt that somewhat all are equally distributed, didn't counted the no though

Members don't see this ad :)
People who passed the NBDE, can you please tell me which one is better? I'm choosing between crackthenbde and Caplan Qbank to practice.
Thanks a lot!

well i cleared my exam without doing any of them, i just did decks, first aid (mainly and thoroughly), and all sets of asda but one of my friend did crack the nbde she found that though it was harder than the exam but it gives you the idea how marks are scored in exam ....... hope this could help you to make a decision

Thanks a lot!
Hello Ruslana. What another source do you have, except crackthenbde and caplan? When do you plan take exam NBDE ? Thank you for answering.Dmitriy

hey congrats,... any tips you would want to share? which books you studied from and which was the most helpful?
i can share my experience:
i studied for 3 months on a stretch daily for 7-8 hrs ,from first aid , dental decks (2012-13) and all sets of asda papers
believe me you can really clear it , if i can , i passed my bds in 2007 , so all the subjects were like aliens for me .....

on my exam day :
first half : it was damn tough for me , questions were easy but there options were confusing , twisted , i got 4 testlets in this part ,hardly got 2-3 repeats in this section i utilized the last sec of my exam ......... in this section around 50 questions were of which i had no idea i simply guessed them , 50 - 55 questions was confused between two options

second half : this was comparatively easy , got repeats from set k around 11-12 , 3 testlets ,was able to finish this section 1 hr prior to the assigned time. ... again in this section 25 questions were there of which i had no idea, 50 questions i was struggling between two options :oops: :confused:

over all view: in all when i came out i was relieved , ahhhh its over now , was sure only about 190-200 questions , i thought all the subjects were equally distributed , biochemistry got direct questions from cycles , a lot of enzymes, dental anatomy was my strongest subject so i was confident about it , anatomy some of the questions were straight forward like they asked anatomical locations of some organs , a lott of origins questions nerves , ( few were really twisted and confusing ) :confused: in microbiology a few bacteria were there fav asked 4-5 questions on them (never seen those questions before) overall it was confusing :( , patho and physio were like that only

my strategies :
try to have a command on atleast 1-2 subjects , in my case i was confident about my dental anatomy and a little bit of anatomy, use google in even a tiniest doubt.
for anatomy i looked at a lot of diagrams , youtube videos along with the theory , first aid , decks( thoroughly )
dental anatomy - first aid and decks
biochem/physio - first aid and Dr Najeebs videos on youtube and also some other video on topics i was not confident about
pathology /micro - first aid and decks ( little)
ethics - i did the decks only a night before the exam ( try to memorise the definations given )
Hope this could help :)
all the best to all :thumbup: :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
i can share my experience:
i studied for 3 months on a stretch daily for 7-8 hrs ,from first aid , dental decks (2012-13) and all sets of asda papers
believe me you can really clear it , if i can , i passed my bds in 2007 , so all the subjects were like aliens for me .....

on my exam day :
first half : it was damn tough for me , questions were easy but there options were confusing , twisted , i got 4 testlets in this part ,hardly got 2-3 repeats in this section i utilized the last sec of my exam ......... in this section around 50 questions were of which i had no idea i simply guessed them , 50 - 55 questions was confused between two options

second half : this was comparatively easy , got repeats from set k around 11-12 , 3 testlets ,was able to finish this section 1 hr prior to the assigned time. ... again in this section 25 questions were there of which i had no idea, 50 questions i was struggling between two options :oops: :confused:

over all view: in all when i came out i was relieved , ahhhh its over now , was sure only about 190-200 questions , i thought all the subjects were equally distributed , biochemistry got direct questions from cycles , a lot of enzymes, dental anatomy was my strongest subject so i was confident about it , anatomy some of the questions were straight forward like they asked anatomical locations of some organs , a lott of origins questions nerves , ( few were really twisted and confusing ) :confused: in microbiology a few bacteria were there fav asked 4-5 questions on them (never seen those questions before) overall it was confusing :( , patho and physio were like that only

my strategies :
try to have a command on atleast 1-2 subjects , in my case i was confident about my dental anatomy and a little bit of anatomy, use google in even a tiniest doubt.
for anatomy i looked at a lot of diagrams , youtube videos along with the theory , first aid , decks( thoroughly )
dental anatomy - first aid and decks
biochem/physio - first aid and Dr Najeebs videos on youtube and also some other video on topics i was not confident about
pathology /micro - first aid and decks ( little)
ethics - i did the decks only a night before the exam ( try to memorise the definations given )
Hope this could help :)
all the best to all :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Dentgem! This is super useful! Thanks so much! I am in the same position. I am yet to write my exam. I am using the same three prep items (ASDA papers, Decks and First Aid). I am still not sure if I am ready. Did you take a mock paper. That is did you do K L M N as a practice exam and if possible could you share how much you got raw score. I took K and got 265. So I am not sure. I was thinking of giving it in Dec but wasnt sure after this score...Any thoughts/comments you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dentgem!

PASSED!
I took the exam on nov 2 and just got the result today (15th) so it's even less than 2 weeks!
Since I really got a lot of help from sdn and especially ppl in this thread, I'd like to share my experience with you. The materials I used are: Dental deck, first aid, and asda papers. Each of them were reviewed 2-3 times. As you become more familiar with the contents, it gets faster at the later stage of study. The total preparation time is about 5 months because I have school and lab work. I feel it would be a lot better if you are doing it full-time so that you won't have a lot of forget-review-forget cycle..:( For me that is the most frustrating part.
The real exam of mine has no new types of questions mentioned in the guide. Both parts have equally distributed topics (not really mainly DA as some posts mentioned). So I think it would be better to know that test differs and don't rely on anyone's experience totally. The difficulty level is about the same with the asda papers. The case testlet questions are more like regular questions but only organized into one case. I feel it's just another form of asking questions but the questions are still those questions... There are a lot of questions that they put in to confuse you so a lot of time you have to decide between 2 options. In my last few days before the exam, I did asda paper N series and some brand new strange questions got me worried. But I was able to calm myself down and just take a break in the last few days because there is nothing you can do I think...
Also get yourself familiar with what will happen on the exam day if you haven't taken exam at the prometric center before. If you have any question I would be happy to answer.

Thanks Dentgem! This is super useful! Thanks so much! I am in the same position. I am yet to write my exam. I am using the same three prep items (ASDA papers, Decks and First Aid). I am still not sure if I am ready. Did you take a mock paper. That is did you do K L M N as a practice exam and if possible could you share how much you got raw score. I took K and got 265. So I am not sure. I was thinking of giving it in Dec but wasnt sure after this score...Any thoughts/comments you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dentgem!
yeah i used L,M,N as my testing sets i didn't remember the exact raw score for them but i can tell you in general (my avg score range )
anatomy 65-75
dental anatomy 80-94
micro/patho 65-77
biochem/physio ( my weakest section in first test i got only 52 ) 60-66
however in my exam i got repeats from set k , luckily i revised it just a night before my exam

yeah i used L,M,N as my testing sets i didn't remember the exact raw score for them but i can tell you in general (my avg score range )
anatomy 65-75
dental anatomy 80-94
micro/patho 65-77
however in my exam i got repeats from set k , luckily i revised it just a night before my exam

anatomy 65-75
dental anatomy 80-94
micro/patho 65-77

Thank you so much Dentgem! Really really appreciate it! The tension is slowly building up! Hope I do well! Thanks again to folks like you! Your postings and expereince have been super helpful! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much Dentgem! Really really appreciate it! The tension is slowly building up! Hope I do well! Thanks again to folks like you! Your postings and expereince have been super helpful! :)
All the best for your exam just believe in yrself and your hardwork and you will get through it :thumbup::thumbup:

Can somebody help me with the materials they are studying from?
I am going to be giving my part 1 in december and i feel as if i have not studied enough.
So far i am studying from decks, crack the nbde, and the kaplan book.
Please email at [email protected] if you have any extra material that i can study from or just let me know about any material i can study from.
Thank you

W
Hello Everybody

I gave the NBDE PART 1 on 29th May 2013. I got the result today. I Passed & so will you. The SDN site has helped me a lot in my preparation so its now my turn to give back.

Materials used by me
1) Dental Decks 2012-2013
2) ASDA released papers A - N
3) Crack the NBDE
4) Wikipedia

Study pattern
1) Dental decks:- 2 times thoroughly & brushed it the third time. Understand every aspect of it & do not by heart. Whatever I did not understand I used wikipedia to get my concepts clear.

2) ASDA papers:- right from A to N. Yes, even the old ones.

3) took Crack the NBDE 15 days before the exam.

3) Went through the questions I did not know again.

Preparation time
3 months, 10 hrs a day. First two months only dental decks. Last month revision of decks and questions (ASDA + Crack)

Scores
After doing dental decks thoroughly I was getting a raw score of 70-80 for Anatomy Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology. Dental Anatomy was between 80-90.
In the K and L I scored 300-310/400.
Crack the NBDE I got composite average scores of 86, 87, 89.
Crack the NBDE stimulates the real exam. It has high level questions. The actual exam is much easier but very conceptual.

On the exam
I felt the exam was every much Dental Deck and ASDA paper oriented.
I was sure of about 300/400 questions.About 20 questions were not in my study material. Remaining 80 questions I was confused between 2 options.
Repeats are there from ASDA papers, cant say how many.
Testlets I got 8 of them and they were pretty confusing but doable.

On what I should have done more
I should have done First Aid, Its a very good book. Similar to the decks. I did not have it.

On what I am happy I DID NOT DO
everything related to kaplan. Its a waste of time. The lecture notes, videos, questions according to me all are just a waste of time.

My suggestions.
Dental decks are a must. (Preferably latest ones)
Study limited and revise the same thing again and again.
Solve as many questions you can.

In short my key to success were dental decks + ASDA papers.
Where can I find the ASDA papers please email me I take my exam in February and would like to review?

Where can I please find the ASDA papers. Could you please email me my exam is in a month?

quote="riach1990, post: 14158407, member: 544612"]Hello Everybody

I gave the NBDE PART 1 on 29th May 2013. I got the result today. I Passed & so will you. The SDN site has helped me a lot in my preparation so its now my turn to give back.

Materials used by me
3) Crack the NBDE
4) Wikipedia

Study pattern
1) Dental decks:- 2 times thoroughly & brushed it the third time. Understand every aspect of it & do not by heart. Whatever I did not understand I used wikipedia to get my concepts clear.

Preparation time
3 months, 10 hrs a day. First two months only dental decks. Last month revision of decks and questions (ASDA + Crack)

Scores
After doing dental decks thoroughly I was getting a raw score of 70-80 for Anatomy Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology. Dental Anatomy was between 80-90.
Crack the NBDE stimulates the real exam. It has high level questions. The actual exam is much easier but very conceptual.

On the exam
I was sure of about 300/400 questions.About 20 questions were not in my study material. Remaining 80 questions I was confused between 2 options.

I should have done First Aid, Its a very good book. Similar to the decks. I did not have it.

everything related to kaplan. Its a waste of time. The lecture notes, videos, questions according to me all are just a waste of time.

My suggestions.

It is not a very difficult exam. Concepts are more important than minute details. Revise the dental decks and papers as much as you can.

Hope this helps!

Goodluck to all.[/quote]

Reactions: 1 user
Can you do the favor. just email/tell me @ [email protected] How can I get released papers that you have. As my plan is to appear @ March end 2014. Looking for study buddy also in MICHIGAN if possible!

i could find asda only from f-n so i hv mailed you both , check it out and save and let me know ; hspatel and tim420

Hello everyone, got my result yesterday and I passed !

Would like to share my experience with you all.

TIME : 3 months / 4-5 hrs to 9-10 hrs
Everyday input varied according to my energy level on that particular day.

STUDY MATERIAL : first aid for Nbde
Dental decks 2012-13
ASDA released papers - A,B,G,I,J,K,L,M,N

REVISION : just dental decks of physio-biochem , half of micro-path

EXAM : conceptual, mind boggling, testlets were not hard but conceptual. They judge all the subjects in one testlet. Many questions I got in exam which I never read in any of the above mentioned study material .But i felt every question was somehow the twisted version of the simple things given in books. Guess I got around 15-20 questions from previous years. during the exam I felt happy whenever I saw a repeat question. The testlets which everyone dread, are not that hard, read them carefully, there r key words which help you get the answers and I repeatedly read the testlets and could relate the questions to the info given. Dental anatomy and occlusion was highly judged. Got many questions,found few questions hard.

TIPS- First aid, dental decks and released papers are the materials you should concentrate on, read them carefully. Revise if you could, and do all the released papers. Do dental anatomy and occlusion really good.
Your preparation months are gonna be emotionally tormenting and depressing sometimes, I used to go for a walk/run whenever I felt the same. I found it a good way to vent my frustration and channelize my energy.

: One day before the exam, I didn't study, just drove around ! It was around 6 pm and I thought I know nothing, I sifted through first aid crazily for 3 hrs. Around 9 i stopped and kept the books aside, had dinner, watched tv and slept around 11. I managed to get good sleep.
EXAM DAY:
On the day of the exam, I couldn't take anything down my throat, just had some water and half bottle of 5 HOUR ENERGY, I took it 20 mins before my exam actually started. Finished the rest of it during the break. Inspite of 5 hour energy" I sometimes felt tired and exhausted during the exam, I took 2 unscheduled breaks, washed my face and had water to keep me going. When I came out of the exam I felt extremely elated that it's done, but within few hours I started feeling I messed up my exam and Im surely gonna fail. All the 14 days post exam I felt I am going to fail the exam but I PASSED and so will you.

P.S - I never used 5 HOUR ENERGY or any other energy boosting drink during preparation, took it few days before exam to see how my body reacts and a full bottle in one go made me jittery,that's y I took half of it on the exam day.

I hope my experience helps , good luck to you all.

Hi,
I am taking my board exams soon and I saw on SDN that you might have the ASDA papers? If you do could you please email me those papers, that would be extremely helpful. Thank you :)
Email- [email protected]

I gave exam on 24th may and got my result today and I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!������������

Hi,
I am taking my board exams soon and I saw on SDN that you might have the ASDA papers? If you do could you please email me those papers, that would be extremely helpful. Thank you :)

Email- [email protected]

Hello Everybody

Materials used by me
3) Crack the NBDE
4) Wikipedia

Study pattern

Preparation time

Scores

On the exam

My suggestions.

It is not a very difficult exam. Concepts are more important than minute details. Revise the dental decks and papers as much as you can.

Hope this helps!

Goodluck to all.
Hi,

Email- [email protected]

Part1: latest dental decks 2012-2013, kaplan(only and only for dental anatomy and occlusion) if possible first six chaps of okeson, first aid nbde for final review. and ASDA released papers.
3 months continuous prep is what you need. but if u have weaker concepts take your time since u have a whole yr for it. solve as many questions as you can.

Part2: Mosby, Tufts Pharma(PM me if u want it with ur email id), and dental decks for part 2, and asda released papers. if u buy original mosby u will get a dvd with it with cases in it for part2.

hi,
would you be able to email me the ASDA released papers part I, please. That would be very helpful. thank you
email - [email protected]

hi everyone,

for those who took the the Kaplan NBDE 1 Qbank: how do your scores compare to the exam? At the end of each Kaplan QBank test, a percentage will be computed...in your opinion, about what percentage range should you at least be in to be able to gauge readiness for the exam? is the Kaplan QBank reflective of the actual exams or are they actually harder compared to the real exam? I have seen ASDA released exams, and somehow i feel that the Kaplan questions are directed more into the medical details, so i am not really sure which one would be a better guide as to where I stand in terms of being able to answer the exam.Thanks!

Hi there.

I am just getting started to prepare for the NDBE I and I have the 2009-10 dent decks. I have not read about the parts of this exam for a looong time, plus everything I was taught in my dentla School was in Greek. Does anybody have the answers to the dent decks 2009?

Thanx :)

Hi there.

I am just getting started to prepare for the NDBE I and I have the 2009-10 dent decks. I have not read about the parts of this exam for a looong time, plus everything I was taught in my dentla School was in Greek. Does anybody have the answers to the dent decks 2009?

Thanx :)

I have the answers for 2013\2014 version of decks. if they help i'll send them to you.

Does it matter if I'm using an old set of decks (2019-2010)? What do they really change from year to year? Thank you.