Penn State Entering Class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lightnk102 said:
They don't tell you how long the day is. How are you supposed to know whether you need to fly in the day before (i.e. if the day starts at 8 am) or if you can fly in the very same day (if the day starts at 12 noon)? Anyone planning on staying the night with a host?

If you fill out the RSVP form, they send you a confirmation email:

Thank you very much for your response to our invitation to the 7th annual Second Look Day on Saturday, April 9th! Your information has been received, and you are now officially registered.

The day will begin at 8:30am with check-in and continental breakfast, and last until approximately 4 or 5pm. Please report to the Office of Student Admissions lobby (where you began your interview day) in the main entrance of the Biomedical Research Building.

Upon check-in you will receive a welcome packet, which will include the schedule for the day, as well as important information that you will need for the various sessions throughout the day.

Thank you again for your response. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, April 9th!

Sincerely,
The Second Look Day Committee

Members don't see this ad.

Where is my Second Look Day invite???

So excited to be in there anyway... no rain on my sunshine

sweetpeamd09 said:
Where is my Second Look Day invite???

So excited to be in there anyway... no rain on my sunshine
I can reply to myself, right? A little quirky but possible. I got my invite via snail mail today (along w/ my Cornell wait list---hmmm). See you all 4/9!

Members don't see this ad :)
sweetpeamd09 said:
I can reply to myself, right? A little quirky but possible. I got my invite via snail mail today (along w/ my Cornell wait list---hmmm). See you all 4/9!

How will we see you? On those nametags that I'm sure they'll make us wear, is yours going to say, "Hello, My Name Is: Sweetpeamd09"? :p

lightnk102 said:
How will we see you? On those nametags that I'm sure they'll make us wear, is yours going to say, "Hello, My Name Is: Sweetpeamd09"? :p

Absolutely...it will read:
Hello, my name is: Sweetpeamd09
Alias ******** ******** :)

Hi guys,

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday (interview 2/21). I am SOOO happy!! I LOVE penn state! :love: So, I thought I would say hi to my future classmates!

Anyone going to the second look? I'm supposed to work that day, but I'm trying to get out of it. It would be nice to see the school again and meet you all. :)

KiKat37 said:
Hi guys,

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday (interview 2/21). I am SOOO happy!! I LOVE penn state! :love: So, I thought I would say hi to my future classmates!

Anyone going to the second look? I'm supposed to work that day, but I'm trying to get out of it. It would be nice to see the school again and meet you all. :)

CONGRATULATIONS! I saw you posted in this thread, and I got so excited! That's absolutely awesome! You rock!!!!! :D :D :clap:

im on hold/waitlist..... :(

how many do they take? i really want to go to penn state!

I received my acceptance back in February. I'm pretty psyched about the school, but the tuition is a bit scary ($50,000+ for out-of state). Overall the program looks good. I guess everyone will get additional info at the second day look program. Good luck to all.

Thanks, Ambs! ;)

Losinghope, sorry about the waitlist. :( Did you try writing a LOI? I was originally on the "continue to review" pile and got off because I wrote letters of interest. Of course, I can't "prove" that those letters helped. But, I think they did. Maybe you should give it a try. :luck:

Everyone else: I can't make it to the second look, because I'm on call and I couldn't switch with any of my co-workers. Could someone who is going please give me a "summary" later? I mean, if there is anything interesting that you learn there that was not mentioned on the interview day, etc. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

shawty ya'head said:
hi emily,

i talked with dr. muller about this even though i interviewd in late january. they do keep spots open till the end and you should definetley check the school out. i came in not really wanting to go to penn state even though its my state school and makes the most financial sense. but the interview day has had the most effect on me relative to any other schools i've interviewed with. the facutly is unbelivable, the facilities are new since they haven't been around as a school for long, the location sucks (but you probably knew that) and the students are off the hook (by the far the most personable, friendly and laid back kids i've met).

-a

I interviewed with Dr. Muller too! He said that Integrative family medicine was "voodoo". Boo. But I still loved the school. I'm currently waiting, but as an out-of-stater, I don't know if it would be worth it. I want to do family medicine, and I worry that I'll be paying of my loans for years.

hey y'all
just got a letter from penn today, also on the "hold list"...previous posts have said this list is unranked and mysterious!? anyone accepted off this list yet?? or does that not happen till after may 15th? any more info on this shadowy list would be great (# of people accepted, approx date - could it be all summer :eek: !?) does writing and calling really help at penn? good luck everyone!

Hey guys,

I was just filling out the Penn State housing form and it requires our Penn State student ID#. Anyone have any idea where we get our ID#? Is it on one of our documents? I know I could just call the school, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weinz said:
hey y'all
just got a letter from penn today, also on the "hold list"...previous posts have said this list is unranked and mysterious!? anyone accepted off this list yet?? or does that not happen till after may 15th? any more info on this shadowy list would be great (# of people accepted, approx date - could it be all summer :eek: !?) does writing and calling really help at penn? good luck everyone!

I got the same letter and am the "hold list" as well. guess we are both in for the same mysterious process! I'd appreciate more info as well if anyone has it! Thanks and good luck to all!

note about the penn st. housing - you don't have the student ID yet- they're not yet assigned. just fill out the form and if/when you're selected they can get the number (info per housing office).

Um... I just looked at the papers they sent me with my acceptance letter and I don't see a housing application... AmI missing something? Is it online?

Also, I don't seem to be able to find the deadline for that application. Does anyone know when the deadline is? I'm hesitant to start the housing thing now because I'm still waiting to hear from one school post-interview, and I think the housing application fee is non-refundable.

Thanks! :)

KiKat37 said:
Um... I just looked at the papers they sent me with my acceptance letter and I don't see a housing application... AmI missing something? Is it online?

Also, I don't seem to be able to find the deadline for that application. Does anyone know when the deadline is? I'm hesitant to start the housing thing now because I'm still waiting to hear from one school post-interview, and I think the housing application fee is non-refundable.

Thanks! :)

The housing application is on the website. I don't think there is a deadline, but the longer you wait, the more chance you'll end up either an MSIV as your roommate or rooming with other MSIs in the nursing apartment area. I'm also waiting on a bunch of schools, but I just figure I might as well play it safe and send this application in sooner rather than later.

SAL0320 said:
I got the same letter and am the "hold list" as well. guess we are both in for the same mysterious process! I'd appreciate more info as well if anyone has it! Thanks and good luck to all!

Im on this list with ya'll. Im not holdin my breath.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet?

tinkerbelle said:
Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet?

I haven't received it yet, but I called last week and they said they would send them by the end of the month. Their website says first week of May... So, I'm not sure what's going on. It should come fast though, because May 15 is approaching. :)

I really wish we could get the financial aid packets soon. I want to see it before I make my decision!

afr0dite01 said:
I really wish we could get the financial aid packets soon. I want to see it before I make my decision!

Yeah, I know. I wish I could get mine, too! My decision is pretty much made, but I need to know what they are going to give me and whether or not I'll need to take out private loans in addition to federal loans. Because if I need private loans, then I also need to start worrying about finding a cosigner... Arrgghh... that would really suck big time... :scared:

BUMP.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? Thanks! :)

KiKat37 said:
BUMP.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? Thanks! :)

I called on Thursday or Friday and they told me that they'll be sending them out at the end of the week. Talk about last minute. :scared:

has anyone called the financial aid office for an estimate? i believe the $100 deposit is only refundable before May 15th and there is a policy saying that applicant wishing to get refund must submit something in writing ONE WEEK prior to May 15th.

I'm gonna call the FA office for an estimate tomorrow. i want to decide on Penn state by thursday.

sdnstud said:
has anyone called the financial aid office for an estimate? i believe the $100 deposit is only refundable before May 15th and there is a policy saying that applicant wishing to get refund must submit something in writing ONE WEEK prior to May 15th.

Ohh. I didn't know that. Darn. I need to write my withdrawl letter tonight.

sdnstud- where did you find that info? I don't see it on the Admissions website.

Does anyone know if you can submit deposits at more than one school, and let them keep the deposit past May 15th? So basically my question is, can you hold spots at more than one school after May 15th. I know I'll lose the deposit from one of them if I withdraw after May 15, but I don't mind that. I'm basically trying to buy time, because I haven't decided between Penn St and NYMC yet.

You may not hold multiple acceptances after May 15th. Last year, one of my friends heading to USC forgot to withdraw from Georgetown. Late May, both USC and Georgetown called him and asked what was going on.

If you are going to make a decision, make it soon. $100 can buy you a pretty good CD player.

bbtbay said:
Does anyone know if you can submit deposits at more than one school, and let them keep the deposit past May 15th? So basically my question is, can you hold spots at more than one school after May 15th. I know I'll lose the deposit from one of them if I withdraw after May 15, but I don't mind that. I'm basically trying to buy time, because I haven't decided between Penn St and NYMC yet.

sdnstud said:
i believe the $100 deposit is only refundable before May 15th and there is a policy saying that applicant wishing to get refund must submit something in writing ONE WEEK prior to May 15th.

Just an FYI-

E-mailing Penn State to decline your acceptance is an ok method.

Good luck anyone who is waitlisted :luck: I withdrew today, so one more spot just opened up :)

I called the financial aid office today and got an estimate of my package over the phone.

University Loan: $2000
Perkins Loan: $3000
Stafford Sub. Loan: $8500
Stafford Unsub. Loan: $32,000+
Alternative Loan: $9800+

I was told that:
1. FA packages are being sent out this Friday.
2. My package (above) is a typical package (probably for out of staters).

I am withdrawing from Penn State today. Hopefully, someone on SDN would get my space.

Hey all, for those of you who got accepted off the waitlist, how did they let you know?

tink and sdnstud, I'd love to take one of your spots :D

Did anyone here fill out the housing application? I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and fill it out now, or wait until I know the exact date that I'll need to move in.... what are you guys doing?

getting excited for Penn State next year!!

klp14 said:
tink and sdnstud, I'd love to take one of your spots :D

One of my best friends withdrew yesterday as well. So y'all should see some waitlist movement realllly soon!

tinkerbelle said:
One of my best friends withdrew yesterday as well. So y'all should see some waitlist movement realllly soon!

They overaccept so I don't think they have waitlist movement until late-June or July.

I'm curious. Did anyone get a decent financial aid package from Penn State? As I have previously posted, my package was horrible ($2000 institutional aid).

I am still waiting to receive mine. They said they mailed them all out on Friday evening. I am sure more people will receive theirs soon. I am waiting for it to arrive in California, so I will probably get it by WEd. at the latest.

sdnstud said:
I'm curious. Did anyone get a decent financial aid package from Penn State? As I have previously posted, my package was horrible ($2000 institutional aid).

Welcome to the Pennsylvania Higher Educational system. However, I have yet to get much of anything from any of my schools except loans.

rerock said:
I am still waiting to receive mine. They said they mailed them all out on Friday evening. I am sure more people will receive theirs soon. I am waiting for it to arrive in California, so I will probably get it by WEd. at the latest.

I called yesterday to gt an estimate. I live close to there and I was expecting to get mine yesterday. They told me that they werent sending them out until today!!!!!! I had previously called and they said Friday so I was surprised. Needless to say, I'm withdrawing, probably partly because of their fin aid office.

PSUCOM gives a terrible financial aid package, and be prepared topay because PSU is the most expensive state medical school in the nation. There are a few reasons for this, but mostly because the founding of the med school was through a private endowment and so the state of PA basically considers PSUCOM a private medical school, and because HMC is one of the most profitable hospitals in PA the state sees little reason to give more money.

BUT, having said that, PSUCOM is totally worth it! I pay $40,000 per year in tuition alone and have never regretted my decision of coming here, I absolutely made the right choice! People are friendly, everyone helps one another out, no one backstabs you, and people know how to have a good time!

If you have decided to come here, excellent, we will see you in the fall, have fun with Zagon (he is awesome.) And for those of you who can't decide: don't make a mistake. Well, time is just flying and I have my last exam of 1st year to study for.

I filled out my housing application a month or so ago...hoping that the earlier you fill it out the more likely you are to get your first pick housing arrangement. I put aug 1st as a move in date...I dont know if they will honor this but I figured a week before orientation starts should be enough time to get settled.

I also got my financial aid package and while it is scary it is actually better than what I was paying when I attended NYU for undergrad! Anyway I figure we are going to have $200,000+ debt anyway mine as well go to a fantastic school like Penn State!

Yay Penn State Class of 2009 I am soooooo excited!!!!

Anyone in Philadelphia area who whould maybe like to meet before the fun officially begins let me know!

mr962000 said:
I filled out my housing application a month or so ago...hoping that the earlier you fill it out the more likely you are to get your first pick housing arrangement. I put aug 1st as a move in date...I dont know if they will honor this but I figured a week before orientation starts should be enough time to get settled.

I also got my financial aid package and while it is scary it is actually better than what I was paying when I attended NYU for undergrad! Anyway I figure we are going to have $200,000+ debt anyway mine as well go to a fantastic school like Penn State!

Yay Penn State Class of 2009 I am soooooo excited!!!!

Anyone in Philadelphia area who whould maybe like to meet before the fun officially begins let me know!

I also filled out my housing application about a month ago. And, I put july 1st as a move-in date even though I don't need (and will not be able) to move in until the weekend before orientation. I looked at the Penn State thread from last year and saw that a lot of people didn't get what they wanted (some didn't even get on-campus housing!) because they filled out their app late or requested a late move-in date. So, I panicked and chose an early date...
It sucks to pay a month of rent for nothing, but I figured it would be better than not getting on-campus housing/ending up living with 4 nursing students/or an MS4 (nothing against nursing students or MS4s, of course, but I would rather live with another MS1).

mr962000: I'm in Philly right now and I'll be here all summer. We should get more people interested and meet up before classes start! :)

KiKat37 said:
I also filled out my housing application about a month ago. And, I put july 1st as a move-in date even though I don't need (and will not be able) to move in until the weekend before orientation. I looked at the Penn State thread from last year and saw that a lot of people didn't get what they wanted (some didn't even get on-campus housing!) because they filled out their app late or requested a late move-in date. So, I panicked and chose an early date...
It sucks to pay a month of rent for nothing, but I figured it would be better than not getting on-campus housing/ending up living with 4 nursing students/or an MS4 (nothing against nursing students or MS4s, of course, but I would rather live with another MS1).

mr962000: I'm in Philly right now and I'll be here all summer. We should get more people interested and meet up before classes start! :)

Anyone considering buying as opposed to living on campus this fall? I know I am but am worried about being completely out of the social loop as a result...

rudi said:
Anyone considering buying as opposed to living on campus this fall? I know I am but am worried about being completely out of the social loop as a result...

I have heard a few people talk about buying because, apparently, Hershey is a very affordable place.

I don't think that you'll be out of the social loop. I mean, first, we won't have much of a social life. :laugh: Second, if some sort of group outing is organized, then people will probably talk about it in school and so you'll know about it and you'll be able to join. The only reason I don't want to live off-campus is that I want to be able to walk to school everyday. I hate driving and I don't even have a car for that reason. I'm really trying to avoid having to buy one.

On a different topic: has anyone received the financial package yet? :sleep:

I received it yesterday, and I'm from CA. I got 44,000 in loans.

i'm out of state too and i got the same as bbtbay in loans. i received my fin aid yesterday.

how come it says the estimated tuition is $29,954? Isn't it more like 38 and change?

Ok, I def. hate my school and the fact that they are incompetent at distributing the mail. I mean, damn, I live in PA and I haven't received my package yet. Bbtbay has received his/hers even though s/he is in CA! :mad:

Rudi, the in-state tuition is about $30,000. For out-of-staters, it is about $42,000.

In-state:
- Tuition $27,886
- Fees $394
- Books/Supplies $2,620

Out-of-state:
- Tuition $38,768
- Fees $394
- Books/Supplies $2,620

Rudi, when you say you got $44,000 in loans, do you mean federal and intitutional loans? Does that also include private loans?

Thanks guys!

KiKat37 said:
Ok, I def. hate my school and the fact that they are incompetent at distributing the mail. I mean, damn, I live in PA and I haven't received my package yet. Bbtbay has received his/hers even though s/he is in CA! :mad:

Rudi, the in-state tuition is about $30,000. For out-of-staters, it is about $42,000.

In-state:
- Tuition $27,886
- Fees $394
- Books/Supplies $2,620

Out-of-state:
- Tuition $38,768
- Fees $394
- Books/Supplies $2,620

Rudi, when you say you got $44,000 in loans, do you mean federal and intitutional loans? Does that also include private loans?

Thanks guys!

That includes private loans, yes. A whopping $1,280 for the year. I didn't get a university loan like the one sdnstud had mentioned above, probably due to my delayed submission of FAFSA.

Was I naive to think that these packages are supposed to cover just about everything, which seems to amount to $54k/year for those paying out of state tuition?

Sorry, Rudi.... :(

They sent my package at my parents' address, so I haven't actually seen it yet, but my mom read it for me.
Mine also says that the estimated tuition is about $30,000, which seems wrong since I'm out-of-state. It should be ~ $40,000...

I got about $36,000 in federal loans, about $2,000 in university loans, and the rest in scholarships (need-based, I'm sure).
So, if they didn't mess up anything, then I shouldn't have to take out any private loans. And, that would be awesome because I don't have a co-signer and couldn't get private loans even if I had to.
Now, I'm just worried that they may have f*cked up and that I actually need another $10,000... in private loans... which I would never be able to get.

Anyhow. I guess I'll call their office tomorrow to clarify the issue of in-state/out-of-state tuition.

BUMP.

Anything new? I called the financial aid office three times already, but I couldn't get through... This in-state/out-of-state thing is stressing me out. What if they tell me they messed up by giving me an in-state budget when I'm really out-of-state? Then, I'll need to somehow come up with $10,000?? :scared:

By the way, do you guys know what we should do next? Do we just pick a lender online and sign a promissory note?

KiKat37 said:
BUMP.

Anything new? I called the financial aid office three times already, but I couldn't get through... This in-state/out-of-state thing is stressing me out. What if they tell me they messed up by giving me an in-state budget when I'm really out-of-state? Then, I'll need to somehow come up with $10,000?? :scared:

By the way, do you guys know what we should do next? Do we just pick a lender online and sign a promissory note?

Hey kikat, I emailed the finaid office yesterday and just received some surprising news. Apparently, there was a computer error and the estimated tuition should read $41,094.

That's right, a computer error.

My "possible alternative loan amount" has been upped by $10,000. All I can say is, Wow am I glad I emailed them about this. So my advice would be to do the same ASAP!