*Pedo 2006 interviews*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post information here regarding Pedo interviews for 2006, including how your were notified, when you were notified, and interview dates.

Members don't see this ad.

Cincinnati (email)-Nov. 19th and 20th
Virginia (phone )-Nov. 6th

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo - came by mail, dated Sept.11 offering several dates
10/6, 10/7, 10/27, 10/28, 11/10, 11/11, 11/17, 11/18

Detroit - sent email telling me they wanted to interview me, but dates have not been determined yet (recieved email 9/13)
-Best

Gavin,
I guess they want to play the field early. I truly do not fully comprehend how each programs' system works, but I was told a while ago by a couple young pedodontists who are also part time at schools that you should get your stuff in early, because schools often find plenty of people to interview and they just get tired of reading more files.

Gavin,
I guess they want to play the field early. I truly do not fully comprehend how each programs' system works, but I was told a while ago by a couple young pedodontists who are also part time at schools that you should get your stuff in early, because schools often find plenty of people to interview and they just get tired of reading more files.

Hey just wondering if someone could give me an idea on when steps for applying to pedo should be completed to be "early" such as when should PASS be completed for 3rd year students, secondary apps, ect... Thanks:thumbup:

Let's get a list going. So far we have the following:

9/8 Cincinnati (email)-Nov. 19th and 20th
9/8 Virginia (phone )-Nov. 6th
9/13Buffalo - (mail) - 10/6, 10/7, 10/27, 10/28, 11/10, 11/11, 11/17, 11/18
9/13 Detroit - (email) - No set dates

Great thread Gavin.

Can you guys who received interviews also provide your stats (part I scores, class rank, etc..)? Just to give the rest of us an idea what the schools are looking for at the preliminary review.

thanks and good luck.

VCU has 2 interview dates Nov 6 or 7th via phone.

Okay, so here is where we still stand:

9/8 Virginia (phone )-Nov. 6th or 7th

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how many applicants buffalo interviews? 7 interview dates....scary.

I interviewed at Buffalo last year. They have a great program. the downside is lots of call, but they managed to keep their residents pretty happy. I think they interviewed 85 candidates for 5 spots. A couple spots seem to be reserves for UB students which happens at nearly every school. Overall great program but tough odds.

85 interviews 5 spots.
800$ flight, hotel, rental car.
Matching at a great pedo program- Priceless.
Good luck!

VCU is still calling people, they called my fiance this morning.

I think they interviewed 85 candidates for 5 spots.

Why would they do this? Do they really need to spend their "precious" time interviewing this many people to match 5 qualified residents? BTW, how did you find out how many they were interviewing? Did you ask them?

I think they interviewed 85 candidates for 5 spots.

Why would they do this? Do they really need to spend their "precious" time interviewing this many people to match 5 qualified residents? BTW, how did you find out how many they were interviewing? Did you ask them?

That *is* crazy. That's the type of stuff that is good to ask when confirming the interview. Especially regarding how many spots are reserved for in-house students.

I asked the residents when I interviewed there. It is a good idea to look at the AAPD link for residency programs. You can find out the interview/ residency ratio.

Programs are not likely to admit that positions are reserved for their Dental students. But if you ask how many 2nd year and how many 1st year residents went to their school, you will see if there is a trend.

I asked the residents when I interviewed there. It is a good idea to look at the AAPD link for residency programs. You can find out the interview/ residency ratio.

It's a great source but unfortunately not up to date for a majority of them.

It's a great source but unfortunately not up to date for a majority of them.

This is true, but you do see trends. Some schools are very selective in their interviewing criteria. They screen their applicants and only invite a handful of students they interested in. If you don't get an interview it only cost you 45$ for the pass application.
On the other extreme some programs invite 30 people to interview for one unmatched position. That means 29 people spent a ton of cash for nothing.

Cincinnati (email): Nov 19-20 or Dec 10-11
VCU (phone): Nov 6 or Nov 7

This is true, but you do see trends. Some schools are very selective in their interviewing criteria. They screen their applicants and only invite a handful of students they interested in. If you don't get an interview it only cost you 45$ for the pass application.
On the other extreme some programs invite 30 people to interview for one unmatched position. That means 29 people spent a ton of cash for nothing.
I have only seen the acceptance to applicant ratios on this site. (For example Buffalo's says 1:15, which is very low compared to most of the other residencies that pay). I haven't seen any of the interview stats. Can you tell me where they are?

Okay, so here is where we still stand:

9/8 Virginia (phone )-Nov. 6th or 7th

NYU: 10/30, 12/11.

University of Kentucky October 20th via phone.

Rochester: 10/30 via phone

KY Oct. 26 (dinner) Oct. 27 interview (they must be interviewing the home team on the 20th, but I will see you at Rochester on 10/30, KY2007!)

Here's the list as it stands:

9/13 Buffalo - (mail) - 10/6, 10/7, 10/27, 10/28, 11/10, 11/11, 11/17, 11/18
9/28 NYU - 10/30, 12/11
9/28 Kentucky (phone) - 10/20
9/28 Rochester (phone) - 10/30

Anybody else who hasn't heard anything from any programs (like me!) freaking out a little yet?

Congrats to everyone getting interviews! I'm just a lowly first-year who is interested in pedo (I know ... that could change once clinic starts) but I just want to stay competitive and have a good shot at matching if I head in the pedo-direction.

I was wondering if y'all could post your scores (GPA, class rank, Part I score, extracurriculars, etc.) if you didn't mind. This would help give some of us a good idea as to how selective & difficult it may be for one to match into pedo (from a purely numbers perspective).

Again, I'd appreciate any help/advice/info you could give. In the meantime ... I better keep studying (well, I mean keep memorizing all this material).

Thanks!

G.P.A.: 3.64
Part 1: 88
Extracurriculars: Raising a daughter, Playstation 2
(Didn't put these on my C.V.:) )
Research: Nope
Externships: 1 one week, 1 six week, and one that was 3 days. Plus Saturday morning clinic and a lot of other pedo related things.

I don't know if this is what it takes to match or not. Meanwhile I'll cross my fingers and hope that I get more than the 3 interviews that I already have.

Ohio State (phone call 9/29)-- Oct 29th-30th or Dec 3rd-4th

I was wondering if y'all could post your scores (GPA, class rank, Part I score, extracurriculars, etc.) if you didn't mind. This would help give some of us a good idea as to how selective & difficult it may be for one to match into pedo (from a purely numbers perspective).

Do a search, let's keep this thread interview related. There are several pedo stat threads that you will find.

The list:

9/28 NYU - 10/30, 12/11
9/28 Rochester (phone) - 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20.
9/29 Ohio State (phone) - 10/29 & 10/30 or 12/3 & 12/4

Rochester also offers several other "Mondays" Nov 6, Nov 13, Nov 20 (I changed mine so I could go to The Ohio State one on 10/29 and 30).

I hope that everyone receives a lot of letters and phone calls this week. Good luck!

What are your stats like, Gavin?

Middle class rank, 86 Part I. Lots of extracurricular stuff, a two-week pedo externship, class president, class vice-president, provided tx. in a pedo community health dental clinic for 4 weeks, etc.

I didn't expect my stats to get me interivews at every program I applied to (I'm too realistic for that), but I'm hopeful that I'll get at least a couple of interviews.

The updated list:

9/8 Cincinnati (email)-Nov. 19th and 20th, Dec. 10 and 11
9/28 NYU - 10/30, 12/11
9/28 Rochester (phone) - 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20.
9/29 Ohio State (phone) - 10/29 & 10/30 or 12/3 & 12/4[/QUOTE]
10/2 San Antonio - Nov 10.

Babybling, how did San Antonio contact you?

Middle class rank, 86 Part I. Lots of extracurricular stuff, a two-week pedo externship, class president, class vice-president, provided tx. in a pedo community health dental clinic for 4 weeks, etc.

I didn't expect my stats to get me interivews at every program I applied to (I'm too realistic for that), but I'm hopeful that I'll get at least a couple of interviews.

Well good luck. :luck:

Hi,
UConn (by phone)- Dates offered- Oct 27, Nov 10, Dec 1st.

Baylor (phone call)-- Nov. 30th or Dec 1st, with social the night before

hey,
pls post ur stats here...
thnks..
regards.

Do programs only call all interviewees on one day or do they make calls over a period of a few days? In other words, if we do not hear from a certain school by the date posted here for when a program contacted a student... we can assume that we will not be getting an interview there?

Good luck to everyone!