This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChicagoPreMedStudent

Reaction score
Originally, I was really interested in Emergency Pediatric Medicine, but I have heard so many people basically say "the sky is falling" that it scared me off. (Along with really poor hours for circadian rhythm, and others equating it to 'retail work'. I am not stupid, I know doctors generally have poor hours, but some people have told me ER doctors have it worse than others.)
Either way, I am really interested in working with kids, but want to know the best places to shadow in order to get a view into the field.
I think, if i ended up working with children I would want to work in an actual peds hospital - not just on the floor of a regular hospital.
In your opinion is working in a pediatric hospital as a pediatric doctor better or worse than a 'regular' larger hospital?
What are the pros and cons of a peds hospital in your opinion?
Are peds hospitals at-risk for middle level encroachment in your opinion?
This is a pretty opinion based post so let me hear it!
Thank you all for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the answers to your questions as I am a current applicant. FWIW: I have seen EM touted as a good choice for people who want to have families because of scheduling based on shifts and no on-call.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know the answers to your questions as I am a current applicant. FWIW: I have seen EM touted as a good choice for people who want to have families because of scheduling based on shifts and no on-call.
Yes I have heard that too, the 'issue' I have heard is mid level encroachment, pay cuts, and other 'the sky I falling' rhetoric.

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst parts of pretty much any peds specialty are reduced pay and parents.

The worst parts EM peds are reduced pay, parents and 95-99% of what you see doesn’t need to be in the ED. Admit rate of peds is abysmal compared to adult.

Reactions: 2 users

If you think you won’t be working nights, weekends, and holidays in EM, you’re in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: 2 users
If you think you won’t be working nights, weekends, and holidays in EM, you’re in for a rude awakening.
Not what I think. Just saying that I've talked to physicians who like ER work because they are able to schedule family time.

Peds EM will definitely bring some unusual cases your way. Frequent flyers with odd diagnoses. It's still EM and subject to all the EM issues. Plus, after awhile, you might not feel comfortable working adult EM and be limited to the few pediatric hospitals out there if you ever want to change jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
In your opinion is working in a pediatric hospital as a pediatric doctor better or worse than a 'regular' larger hospital?
Not quite sure what you’re getting at here. Neither is “worse” than the other, just different.

Peds medicine as a whole pays less than adult medicine though, pretty much across all spectrums except for with pediatric surgery (not obtained through peds and might be the most competitive field in medicine as a whole).

I personally hold pediatric anesthesiologists in very high esteem.

Reactions: 1 users