Tufts Medical School and Pediatric Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1077948

Tufts recently announced the closure of their children's hospital. Where will their medical school students rotate for their pediatric rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

For inpatient, I am going to guess BCH. Maybe MGH, and maybeeee BMC since they have some pedi services. Maine track I believe they put them through the Barbara Bush Children's Hospital if I'm not mistaken. And who knows- maybe Lahey, St. E's, or SSH will be upping their pedi services in the future......

I'd be surprised to see them over at BCH, BMC, and MGH because those hospitals are major teaching sites for BU and HMS - their first priority will be accommodating students from those schools. St. E's is switching their affiliation from Tufts -> BU as of last year.

Since they already rotate through Barbara Bush/Maine Medical, I'm not sure how much extra capacity they will have there beyond the 20-30ish folks per year who are on the Maine track.

Big question mark for Lahey/SSH, though I'd be surprised to see a dramatic expansion from them given that it seems like the reason for the Tufts/Floating hospital closure was because of low reimbursement for peds care.

I feel bad for the folks at Tufts. The children's hospital there was a great institution, and it is a real ****ty move to the faculty, staff, nurses, patients and especially the residents and fellows, to close so suddenly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's not a good situation. How much of pediatric rotations are inpatient vs outpatient? Tufts has plenty of outpatient opportunities between Wellforce and Steward, but idk what they will do for inpatient.

I believe it's site dependent, but I've seen a mix of outpatient, inpatient, and ED in varying amounts. Not sure what the AAMC sets for guidelines either.

I don't know how much availability Steward will have for Tufts - St E's and Good Sam, their two biggest hospitals, are already sites for BU, though I'm not sure how much they'll continue to accommodate Tufts students on clerkships going forward.

Looks like SSH is also a BU clerkship site as well. I'd hate to be a Tufts student interested in pediatrics right now.

Reactions: 1 user