Hospital Experience Value? -- Service Experience Diversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klever

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I always find the feedback provided here to be of substantial value, so I have returned with more questions.

1. I do not have that much experience volunteering or working in a hospital. I have only (like in meaningful experience) done stuff in clinics and private practices. The most I have is when I transport patients from hospital to hospital as an EMT. How much value is placed on having hospital experience to adcomms? Would having ~30-40 hours of shadowing of a doctor in a hospital be attain the understanding of a hospital and fulfilling this placed value (if there is one)?

2. I understand that service is usually preferred to be targeted to the vulnerable and underserved. I currently doing service in an assisted living facility, and I am wondering if this population is the ideal targeted population? Because the residents I help I would consider are "vulnerable," as their families were unable to take care of them but I don't know if it meets the same definition. If I diversify service with some volunteering at a homeless shelter, would that be enough service diversity? Would my commitment to only 2 types of service be okay, or should my outreach be greater?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Geriatric patients are vulnerable and a growing population that needs medical and social assistance.

As for shadowing physicians in a hospital, each department will vary so it is hard to generalize.

Reactions: 1 users
You don’t need hospital experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for both of your responses!

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimer’s or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 4 users
Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimer’s or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.
Awesome, because I truly am more interested in helping people out in the assisted living home or planned parenthood then working/volunteering at my local hospital. Thanks for your insight as always.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hello SDN,

I've swiftly returned with a set of new questions! Again, all of the input I receive is always great and very appreciated :)
-----
1. I like to focus on school, hobbies, and clubs during the school year, so I do little hours in clinical and nonclinical things during the semester. However, I heavily concentrate my hours and experiences in the summer and winter (7 days a week, when I'm not working, I'm volunteering etc.).

Is it okay to have all my hours HEAVILY concentrated in summers and winters - does it still show the commitment adcoms look for?
-----
2. I have searched SDN and found many different answers to this, so I will ask this again for my own sake and then reach a consensus:

If all my clinical experience hours are paid in 2-3 positions, as in I work for $ in them (EMT, Scribe), do I need clinical volunteering (in hospice, etc.)? Or is solely having clinical work enough in the clinical experience requirement okay and then all my volunteer hours are nonclinical service (assisted living, food pantry, etc.)? Is clinical volunteering as opposed to clinical work a "must-have" when it comes to service-oriented schools (given I have non-clinical of course)?
-----
3. Given shadowing is a big part of knowing the field, I know that primary care is the most important specialty to shadow. I have shadowed multiple specialties; I have accumulated a good amount of my hours shadowing a general internist in a clinic.

Is this shadowing a primary care physician (or do I have to look to shadow a ped or family med)?
-----
Again, thank you so much to anyone who reads/responds. SDN has been so helpful in calming my neurotic self (which I know I come off as aswell).

Hello SDN,

I've swiftly returned with a set of new questions! Again, all of the input I receive is always great and very appreciated :)
-----
I am merging your two posts as your questions are similar and you provided more context in the first discussion.

1. This is fine since you are going back to do it during each break and are spending a lot of your time on it.

2. It is fine if all your clinical experience is paid. Having significant non-clinical hours in something that helps those less fortunate (assisted living, homeless shelter etc) is what the service schools (as well as schools in general) are looking for.

3. General internist doing outpatient work is definitely considered a primary care physician. They are caring for patients longitudinally.

Reactions: 1 user
I am merging your two posts as your questions are similar and you provided more context in the first discussion.

1. This is fine since you are going back to do it during each break and are spending a lot of your time on it.

2. It is fine if all your clinical experience is paid. Having significant non-clinical hours in something that helps those less fortunate (assisted living, homeless shelter etc) is what the service schools (as well as schools in general) are looking for.

3. General internist doing outpatient work is definitely considered a primary care physician. They are caring for patients longitudinally.
Very helpful and perfect response I needed to hear. Thank you so much!

Last edited: