PCOM Philly vs NYITCOM (OW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spx1523

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently got into PCOM Philly and have been also accepted into NYITCOM Long Island. If anyone is able to provide some pros and cons as current students or have heard anything, I would really appreciate the insight.

PCOM Philly

Pros:
- nice campus + friendly environment
- close to home ~40 min
- well established DO school with strong rotation sites and a great match list
- in house residencies for competitive specialties
- has the option to attend lecture in person (prefer going to lecture - not sure if this will change in med school lol)

Cons:
- A/B/C/D/F grading scale for pre-clinicals
- went to undergrad in Philly so wanted a change of scenery

NYITCOM

Pros:
- pass/fail pre-clinicals
- change of scenery and a new area/state since I'm a Philly native
- good chance of matching in the Northeast (similar to PCOM though so not sure if this is a true pro lol)
- also has a great match list

Cons:
- slightly higher tuition + COL is higher in NY
- further from home (~3 hours) so have to factor cost of visiting
- heard mixed reviews about rotation sites
- fully asynch lectures

I'm leaning towards anesthesiology for which both schools do have strong residency placements but just wanted some insight on what others think. Would appreciate insight on COMLEX/USMLE pass rates/prep for both schools. I did my research but am still a little confused as there's conflicting opinions. Any/all help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as OP. Right now, (I think) I want to do residency in NYC and do IM then fellowship (GI is a dream, maybe endocrine). Advice appreciated :)))