LECOM-Erie vs. NYITCOM-OW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_15

Reaction score
LECOM-Erie
Pros
  • Cheaper cost of living
  • Good match and board pass rates
Cons
  • Super small city, not easy to travel in and out of
  • All the LECOM drama
  • No true dedicated board study time
  • Student support/morale is low

NYITCOM-OW
Pros
  • Close to bigger city
  • More connections to prestigious hospital systems (NYC)
  • Close to family
  • Decent match most recently
  • Pseudo pass/fail (High pass system so kinda ABCD)
Cons
  • Insane cost of living
  • Not super consistent board pass rate/match results but getting better
Summary: I’m grateful where tuition is fully covered by my family so it’s hard to decide between these two, LECOM will get me to my end goal but NYITCOM seems to have better resources for students. I’d also like to stay in the Northeast to practice so name recognition of NYIT could be helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

NYITCOM in my opinion, especially if you want to stay and match in that region although you'll probably match in the NE from both schools. The tuition being able to be covered by your family is a bonus since debt is not a factor that I would consider into this choice.

NYITCOM has a better reputation, relatively well-known for preparing you for boards well (I have friends that have attended there), and has good hospital and research connections and opportunities, given that it is in New York. LECOM is ever-so-slightly known for having an unfriendly administration, but it is cheaper so that's the overall only pro I could think of for that specific school in your case. Best of luck future doctor!

Reactions: 1 user