Pcom Do/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raptor5

Fooled by Randomness
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can comment on the MBA part. Just the classes and not the stuff I can pull from the internet. Personal experience please.

Members don't see this ad.

I've just finished completing my MBA, so I think that I have some input.

The MBA differs radically from the MD (like I needed to tell you that). There are 4 courses that are difficult:

1. Accounting for Management
2. Business Statistics
3. Macro or Micro Economics
4. Finance

Every other course is easy and will be a joke compared to what you are currently studying. If you took these courses on the undergraduate level, do not compare them to what you will see on the graduate level. Graduate level core courses will take some work.

Now, that being said, the MBA is more sociable than an MD. The MBA is quite an opportunity to network. In any respected program, you will meet people who have quite a few achievements in the business world. Some of these people will make being a doctor look like an exercise in tight budgeting. More importantly, you will have plenty of opportunity to learn some amazing things from some amazing people. You will learn many things that will make you successful from these people.

Last but not least, the MBA is a framework. It gives you the framework to continue expanding your business knowledge all your life.

If you really want the best practical business knowledge of all, the CFP (Certified Financial Planner) is recommended. This takes less than a year and is highly respected! Go to this website to learn more on it:

http://www.kaplancollege.com/fprep/Default.asp?source=800014

However, I choose the MBA ultimately. Certifications come and go but degrees stay with you for life!

I really enjoyed the MBA. I met wonderful people. It is highly respected in the corporate world. And I learned so much!!

One last note. In your MBA, you will have many electives. You can use your medical school courses to fill these as long as you made a "B" or above in them. It expedites the process for you.

You will have to pass the comp exams -- another one of those hassles -- to finally graduate. It takes about a month of preparation.

My 2 cents...

:thumbup: