PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrMonkey said:
Well I'll be in the class of 2010!!! "DO"-ing it at PCOM!!!!! (I know I'm only mildly funny) Anyway I hope to meet all you great people in August or sometime sooner.

Thats my bro! MY future roommate Dr. Monkey represent Virginia man!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey MedHacker-
That route will be absolutely nuts every morning. Both 676 and 76 are horrific to commute on, however, there really isn't a great way to do it without using one of them. 21 minutes is a laugh of an estimate--I'd say it's closer to 35 on a good day and a very serious "who-knows" on a bad day. You could take 676 to the art museum, and then use either West River Drive or Kelly Drive to get to City Ave--the flow of traffic on these streets is mostly into the city, where you'll be going away from the city. Hopes this helps, but if classes are at 8AM, I'd be prepared to leave at 7... If anyone else has any questions about commuting and/or Philadelphia in general, let me know--I've lived in or around Center City for almost 8 years now.

Hey MedHacker-
That route will be absolutely nuts every morning. Both 676 and 76 are horrific to commute on, however, there really isn't a great way to do it without using one of them. 21 minutes is a laugh of an estimate--I'd say it's closer to 35 on a good day and a very serious "who-knows" on a bad day. You could take 676 to the art museum, and then use either West River Drive or Kelly Drive to get to City Ave--the flow of traffic on these streets is mostly into the city, where you'll be going away from the city. Hopes this helps, but if classes are at 8AM, I'd be prepared to leave at 7... If anyone else has any questions about commuting and/or Philadelphia in general, let me know--I've lived in or around Center City for almost 8 years now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hibby417 said:
Hey MedHacker-

Hey Hibby 417, i want to attend PCOM really badly, what are your stats, my stats are 23O MCAT, 3.38 science overall and nonscience g.p.a's. do i have a chance?

Hibby417 said:
Hey MedHacker-

Hibby417

Thank you homes, this is great help. Now if you could just tell me where I would get off on 676 to get to the art museum. I found Kelly Drive on a map and it sure does lead to city avenue which I thought was nice. Could you tell me where to get off to get to these in case I neded to, many thanks.

medhacker said:
yeah but you are weird like that LOL/j.k.
chances are with a latino you will get: Martinez, Sanchez, Lopez, Gomez

well at least we won't be alone :smuggrin:

I am hispanic and was accepted and deposited, although not sure where I am going. Either here or UMDNJ-SOM. Can't make up my mind, but I will know by this weekend.

Jaynine said:
I am hispanic and was accepted and deposited, although not sure where I am going. Either here or UMDNJ-SOM. Can't make up my mind, but I will know by this weekend.

Sis. drop the SOM like it's hot and head on to PCOM, believe you me when I tell you this. If you are still confused I will PM you my reasons to choose PCOM over UMDNJ any day, any time for sure :)

Jaynine - I also chose PCOM over UMDNJ-SOM, so if you're interested in my reasons, feel free to PM me as well...

MedHacker - the exit off of 676 is the one right after the Broad Street exit if you're driving towards PCOM. I think it's called Art Museum Circle or something--it'll spit you out on the parkway (where the Live 8 concert was) and point you directly at the art museum. Once you're at the museum, you can either head to the right side and use Kelly Drive, or you can cut left and use West River Drive--both run right into City Ave. Traffic heading in this direction in the morning is pretty light (I'll be doing the same commute, but starting at the museum--I live just up the street from it). Hope this helps...

Ppormansdoormd - your GPA is fine for PCOM; not sure of your MCAT, although I think it's okay. Of course, a complete application includes good letters of rec, extracurriculars, clinical experience, research, etc. so you can help yourself out to compensate for the MCAT score. Not to sound condescending in the least bit, but since you asked, my stats are on the higher end of PCOM's spectrum: 3.55 GPA and 37 MCAT.

To everybody else: I'm getting really pumped about this thread finally taking off a bit and people joining our class. I'm literally just sitting at the art museum waiting for people to have a drink or two with me, so let me know if you want to meet up. We can get a head start on anatomy.

Yes, that was a joke.
:)

Jaynine said:

Go to PCOM! I can already tell our class is going to be filled with cool ass down to earth people. (Hopefully)

You know, I have yet to hear an arguement over why jersey is better than PCOM that I couldn't easily give a counter too. PCOM has the better reputation hands down.

(I wonder if any jersey kids will invade the thread to start a flame war, that be itneresting)

PCOM just recieved my AACOMAS application today, how long will it take for me to recieve the secondary application? how do they send the secondary via emai? one more thing the tuition is $34,000, does that include living expenses, food, housing or is it just tuition, and if it doesn't include these things how much is it with all of these things included? thank you.

BengaliDocIsl said:
PCOM just recieved my AACOMAS application today, how long will it take for me to recieve the secondary application? how do they send the secondary via emai? one more thing the tuition is $34,000, does that include living expenses, food, housing or is it just tuition, and if it doesn't include these things how much is it with all of these things included? thank you.

1) It took about 2 weeks for my secondary to come in. (From my memory..this was way back in september)

2)The secondary comes in the mail. Three questions. Why PCOM? Why Osteopathic Medicine? What health-care related expierences do you have?

3)34,000 is just tuition. Students I spoke too said they take out max of 38K in federal loans and then get approx. 15K in private loans/grants/whatever. But that varies with the type of apartment you want to get and overall lifestyle you want to have while in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me and DO SIgma NU guy will be in philly sometime around March 4-11. To Any class of 2010 PCOM peoples lets get together one night burn MCAT books and make our livers work overtime!!! (Again only mildly funny but you'll figure that out later) Can't wait to meet all you peoples!!!! :clap:

The PCOM website says that they recruit under-represented minorities heavily, is that true and if so am i a minority since i am southeast asian?

You guys should not be passing up any opportunities to booze hard and meet classmates....trust me....you'll miss those days of freedom......anyway--> sell your MCAT books on ebay...i got over 200$ for my kaplan books......then spend that money on more beer...

DrMonkey said:
Me and DO SIgma NU guy will be in philly sometime around March 4-11. To Any class of 2010 PCOM peoples lets get together one night burn MCAT books and make our livers work overtime!!! (Again only mildly funny but you'll figure that out later) Can't wait to meet all you peoples!!!! :clap:

Oh shoot! We are?

:laugh: :laugh:

Taus said:
You guys should not be passing up any opportunities to booze hard and meet classmates....trust me....you'll miss those days of freedom......anyway--> sell your MCAT books on ebay...i got over 200$ for my kaplan books......then spend that money on more beer...

Man its weird Taus. I said I was gonna sell my books way back in december after my acceptance. I still havent....i've become attached to them :( lol (taking MCAT twice).

Oh well let me grow some balls and take some pics and post them.

:thumbup: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

How long after the secondary did you recieve an interview invite? and also if i get an interview invite after my secondary, since they stop interviewing in march, i would probably get it in a week or two after my secondary is recieved by them right? I think i have a chance at PCOM because their website says that the average g.p.a is 3.36 and average MCAT is 24 and mines are 3.38 and 23 MCAT, so i have a chance right? i know i ask a lot of questions, but its because i really want to go to it since it is close to nj where I have a lot of family.

BengaliDocIsl said:
How long after the secondary did you recieve an interview invite? and also if i get an interview invite after my secondary, since they stop interviewing in march, i would probably get it in a week or two after my secondary is recieved by them right? I think i have a chance at PCOM because their website says that the average g.p.a is 3.36 and average MCAT is 24 and mines are 3.38 and 23 MCAT, so i have a chance right? i know i ask a lot of questions, but its because i really want to go to it since it is close to nj where I have a lot of family.

I submitted my secondary at the beginning of August and received an interview invite around the middle of Sept. If you were to get an interview, you'd probably get an admissions decision by the end of whichever month you interview...If I remember correctly, the committee meets the last week of every month to make their acceptance decisions. Good luck!

BengaliDocIsl said:

After I submitted my secondary I recieved an interview invite within 3 weeks. I'm not sure how fast the turnover is now.

Taus said:

Words of wisdom from one further along the journey. I apologize I got too excited at the thought of burning MCAT books :D Well the proposed equation makes sense
MCAT books = $$$$$
Alcohol = $$$$$
MCAT books = Alcohol
This equation will be up there with that e=mc square one!!!

Brilliant!!!!! :idea:

BengaliDocIsl said:
The PCOM website says that they recruit under-represented minorities heavily, is that true and if so am i a minority since i am southeast asian?

Bengali counts as SE asian? I thought it was just S Asian?

nvshelat said:
Bengali counts as SE asian? I thought it was just S Asian?

You could be right, , but S Asian or SE Asian, not really a big difference, still Asian right?

BengaliDocIsl said:
You could be right, , but S Asian or SE Asian, not really a big difference, still Asian right?

Well, it matters in regards to your prev post - S Asians aren't underrepresented in medicine, so it wouldn't give you an advantage. However, if SE Asians are (and I don't know if they are or aren't) then listing yourself as SE Asian would give you an advantage. I'm not sure how they (the ADCOM) confirms your race.

nvshelat said:
I'm not sure how they (the ADCOM) confirms your race.

They don't. I think they just take your word for it.

Does shadowing a D.O. increase the chances of acceptance because I plan to shadow starting next week, I just want to give myself the best chance for admitting to PCOM this application cycle even if it is late.

Hi guys, i am waiting to recieve my secondary from PCOM, i was wondering if i should write a letter to admissions stating my desire to attend PCOM and that if accepted i would definitely go there because it is the my number #1 choice. would this sort of thing help or hurt me? PCOM is my #1 choice and i want to attend there for the class of 2010.

does anybody know how many people have been accepted to PCOM so far? i have an interview feb.8th (i was complete oct. 24) and I just wanted to know what my chances are.

thanks a lot!

luv2jig said:
does anybody know how many people have been accepted to PCOM so far? i have an interview feb.8th (i was complete oct. 24) and I just wanted to know what my chances are.

thanks a lot!

hmm DO Sigma Nu guy can probably answer that one :)
congratulations on your interview

From nucleus it looks like ~150...could be less or could be a little more. The class size is suppose to be 250 people...so I think your chances are very good as long as you have good stats...or just have an excellent interview. GOOD LUCK!!

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
From nucleus it looks like ~150...could be less or could be a little more. The class size is suppose to be 250 people...so I think your chances are very good as long as you have good stats...or just have an excellent interview. GOOD LUCK!!

I talked to an admissions lady today, and she said PCOM interviews until the end of march and that less than half (half is around 125) of the seats have been filled. this is pretty good, my hopes are definitely high now (not too high though), so things may look good for me (hopefully).

Im currently awaiting PCOMS decision...i live in center city, do you plan on living where you are, or moving closer to pcom?

Jonathan13180 said:
Im currently awaiting PCOMS decision...i live in center city, do you plan on living where you are, or moving closer to pcom?

Good Luck man!

I was wondering for those of you guys who have their responses to their secondaries for PCOM saved if you could email me the responses, i won't copy them word for word, i'll just look at them and bascially get an idea of what kind of secondary response is neccessary for an interview invite. thank you.

BengaliDocIsl said:
I was wondering for those of you guys who have their responses to their secondaries for PCOM saved if you could email me the responses, i won't copy them word for word, i'll just look at them and bascially get an idea of what kind of secondary response is neccessary for an interview invite. thank you.

Just write why you want to attend PCOM (area..standardized patients...just look at their website and look at what they have to offer)...why Osteopathic Medicine..(being able to treat someone with just your hands...allowing them to feel better before you give them medication)...and what healthcare related experiences you have.

I doubt they are looking for one specific thing. PCOM wants a diverse class...dont be a cookie cutter pre-med...put things in your secondary that will make you stand out.

Putting things on your secondary that are false or misleading might come back to hurt you during your interview.

AACOMAS mailed my AACOMAS profile to PCOM on 2/1/2006 which is also the deadline for PCOM for primary application, does this mean that PCOM recieved my application on 2/1/2006 or did they recieve a day after or two after that which would mean that i missed the deadline?

ppormansdoormd said:
AACOMAS mailed my AACOMAS profile to PCOM on 2/1/2006 which is also the deadline for PCOM for primary application, does this mean that PCOM recieved my application on 2/1/2006 or did they recieve a day after or two after that which would mean that i missed the deadline?

Call the admissions office tomorrow for clarification.

BengaliDocIsl said:
Does shadowing a D.O. increase the chances of acceptance because I plan to shadow starting next week, I just want to give myself the best chance for admitting to PCOM this application cycle even if it is late.

It seems from all your posts-asking about minorities, shadowing a DO, asking for secondaries for those who were accepted that you are trying to find "short-cuts" to increase your chances of getting in. You should know that most osteopathic schools require that you shadow an osteopathic physician, and i wouldnt play up on being a minority (i dont consider asian a minority-look around) it would only be selling yourself short. Lastly, although important, invites arent given solely on secondaries...make your first priority your PS and primary application. goodluck.

I just recieved my supplemental application from PCOM today (8 days after they recieved my AACOMAS application) and was wondering how much is appropriate for my responses to each question. is one page too much for each question, or is half a page more appropriate? thank you.

BengaliDocIsl said:
I just recieved my supplemental application from PCOM today (8 days after they recieved my AACOMAS application) and was wondering how much is appropriate for my responses to each question. is one page too much for each question, or is half a page more appropriate? thank you.

I put half a page for each question. Depends on how much you have to say. Once again...every case is different.

BengaliDocIsl said:

Write however much it takes you to say what you want to say. Thats whats important, what you say, not the amount.

Welcome to PCOM!
We are 2 current 2nd year students (females) looking for a roommate for next school year, the lease begins July 1, 2006. We have a 3 BR rowhome in Manayunk - (which, if you are not familiar with Philadelphia, is a fantastic place to live..there are lots of bars, restaurants, shopping, etc.) The house is newly renovated, all modern appliances, central air/heat, parking in front, washer/dryer, and more:) Rent is $600/person + utilities - we will be on rotations next year so there will be a lot of time to have the house to yourself and we can help you out with anything you need - congrats again and let us know if you are interested...

hey guys, i am currently an undergrad and will graduate in july, i was wondering for the LOR for PCOM, if it is ok if my pre-med advisor writes it, do i need any other letter of recommendation (i.e. is this sufficient) and if i do that will my file be considered complete, i have already turned in my secondary, and also i have noticed in other threads that some students whose first choice is PCOM (like mine) that they let the admission people or whoever know that they want to go there, who should i talk to? the dean? since i noticed the dean's number is posted on their website. thank you

ppormansdoormd said:
hey guys, i am currently an undergrad and will graduate in july, i was wondering for the LOR for PCOM, if it is ok if my pre-med advisor writes it, do i need any other letter of recommendation (i.e. is this sufficient) and if i do that will my file be considered complete, i have already turned in my secondary, and also i have noticed in other threads that some students whose first choice is PCOM (like mine) that they let the admission people or whoever know that they want to go there, who should i talk to? the dean? since i noticed the dean's number is posted on their website. thank you

Your advisor's letter is probably enough to suffice the letter from advisor etc. That would probably make your file complete. Personally, I would not only have that one sent. Did you let them know in your secondary that you def. want to go there?

yeah i told them in the secondary that it is my first choice and if accepted i would go there, i told them that i am originally from the east coast(NJ)and that i visited UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM and that i like PCOM hands down, i also told them that i would start shadowing a D.O. in march.

ppormansdoormd said:
yeah i told them in the secondary that it is my first choice and if accepted i would go there, i told them that i am originally from the east coast(NJ)and that i visited UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM and that i like PCOM hands down, i also told them that i would start shadowing a D.O. in march.

Shadowing osteopathic physicians is a huge benefit for the secondary and interview. I'm pretty sure you need it for secondary and LOR is required but they love when you have seen OMM technique applied. It was a focal point of my very pleasant interview at PCOM. I can't wait.

BTW guys, i haven't been posting too much on this site in a while because this site was the absolute cause of dreadful stressing out for the MCATs and application process. I just surf the nuclues at PCOM waiting for my fellow colleagues. Congrats to all those accepted so far. Can't wait to meet everyone. Seems like we have an awesome class.

KMMD said:
Shadowing osteopathic physicians is a huge benefit for the secondary and interview. I'm pretty sure you need it for secondary and LOR is required but they love when you have seen OMM technique applied. It was a focal point of my very pleasant interview at PCOM. I can't wait.

BTW guys, i haven't been posting too much on this site in a while because this site was the absolute cause of dreadful stressing out for the MCATs and application process. I just surf the nuclues at PCOM waiting for my fellow colleagues. Congrats to all those accepted so far. Can't wait to meet everyone. Seems like we have an awesome class.

Haha I'm glad to know im not the only one surfing on nucleus. KMMD can u send me a PM with your full name so I can find you on nucleus. I will be sending a message to all people on nucleus seeing if some people want to meet up March 5th ish for some drinks/food/whatever with DrMonkey and I.

I agree with KMMD...my interviewers also asked me what I knew about OMM and if I ever saw it practiced.

WooHoo Class of 2010.

I wonder when I am going to get my access to nucleus :confused:

Congrats on getting into PCOM! I am a first year (2009) and I love it. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

By the way, I couldn't log into Nucleus until like a couple of days before school started. Don't worry...there is nothing that interesting on there...just stuff like access to your class scribe notes (which you won't have until you start classes).

good luck