PCOM- Atlanta, Georgia Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my acceptance, but I still have other interviews.

It's weird though, I just canceled the rest of my DO interviews, so now all I have left are MD schools.

Edit: Texas guy said he had a weird interview...Well, one of the people interviewing with me stood up and demonstrated his ball room dancing skills.

My interview wasn't weird. It was the trip that got me there. The interview couldn't have been more relaxed, which is good, because I was tired and pissed off when I got there, but I left with a smile on my face.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview wasn't weird. It was the trip that got me there. The interview couldn't have been more relaxed, which is good, because I was tired and pissed off when I got there, but I left with a smile on my face.

Yeah, my bad, I meant experience...

I recently interviewed at GA-PCOM as well. I have to agree with you guys this place is great. I want to thank all of the students that took the time to come and speak with us during the day. That was the most informative and encouraging experience I have had at a school so far. Good luck to all that have interviews coming or that have recently completed them. GA-PCOM s a great place and I hope that I hear good news from them soon.

I recently interviewed at GA-PCOM as well. I have to agree with you guys this place is great. I want to thank all of the students that took the time to come and speak with us during the day. That was the most informative and encouraging experience I have had at a school so far. Good luck to all that have interviews coming or that have recently completed them. GA-PCOM s a great place and I hope that I hear good news from them soon.

Im glad to hear that you had a great experience with your interview. Who did you interview with? I had Dr. Rogers and Dr. Gregg last month and they were both awesome during the interview. I look forward to August :)

Jwalker are you attending for sure? If so we will be classmates! :D

Got my first interview for PCOM-GA!!!

I'm going 12/6.

Any advice from those who have already interviewed?

HBK - advice on the interview - just be yourself and don't stress out, it is very conversational. Everyone you meet is amazing. Talk to the students that come by, they are really helpful and give you a great idea of what you can expect from the professors interviewing you and the school.

I guess this is my first post ever on here, but I am going for my PCOM-GA interview next Wed. Thought it was a little weird to have one the day before Thanksgiving, but no worries for me as my family lives in Gwinnett County and I will be there anyways. I got a great behind the scenes tour of the place from a current student and undergrad classmate of mine and was extremely impressed. Needless to say I am looking forward to the interview a lot! Congrats to all who have gotten in already, hope you left some spots for me...

Does anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting again?

I have my acceptance, but I still have other interviews.

It's weird though, I just canceled the rest of my DO interviews, so now all I have left are MD schools.

Edit: Texas guy said he had a weird interview...Well, one of the people interviewing with me stood up and demonstrated his ball room dancing skills.

lol omg Polynikes we were in the same interivew group for PCOM-GA.. October 3rd right? I remeber the ballroom dancing guy! Congradz on your acceptance.. just sent in my $250 this morning :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So after I got my acceptance, I called up the admissions office. The conversation went something like this:

ME: I just got accepted to GA-PCOM...

CAROL FOX:
Congratulations!

ME:
Thanks. I am excited. But the reason I called is that I already have one degree, and I was wondering how important it is to you that I get this second one. For financial reasons, I'd just as soon close up shop and start getting ready for med school.

CAROL FOX: What are you taking right now?

ME: Calculus II...

CAROL FOX:
Pfft. I don't need that. What else are you taking?

ME: Swimming and Yoga. I need to maintain 6 hours to keep my student loans in deferment.

CAROL FOX: Haha. What did you plan to take in the Spring?

ME:
Human biology, and probably more swimming and yoga. Or possibly Spanish, if it fit my schedule.

CAROL FOX: Do you already have enough biology to meet our requirements?

ME: More than enough.

CAROL FOX:
Okay, you're good to go.

So no more stupid undergrad for me. I just dropped Calculus II, and I'll be doing 6 hours of PE to keep the loan collectors off my back in the Spring. Then, off to school baby!

dude, nice. I am stoked that I dont have to go to night school anymore. For the past three years I have been teaching during the day and taking post-bac science classes at night and during the summers. I have my last A&P lecture tonight then a practical and test in the next 2 weeks, and thats all she wrote! Its really hard to get motivated enough to crack the book when I just have to get a C:cool:

I was at a lecture given by an admissions person from PCOM (it was at my undergrad institution). After the lecture, I spoke with the woman about PCOM Georgia. She told me that PCOM-GA is only for Georgia residents and that since I am a PA resident I should not be applying to PCOM-GA. I took her advice and only applied to PCOM-Philly but now I am reading all these posts from out of staters who have been accepted at the Georgia campus. Is it too late in the game for me to apply to Georgia? I have family in GA which is why I am more interested in that campus.

Apply, and mention that you have family in GA in your essay as part of your reason for "Why do you want to apply to GA-PCOM?"

They favor in-state applicants, but not exclusively.

how close is emory Med? BTW go GLAVINE!!!

So after I got my acceptance, I called up the admissions office. The conversation went something like this:

ME: I just got accepted to GA-PCOM...

CAROL FOX:
Congratulations!

ME:
Thanks. I am excited. But the reason I called is that I already have one degree, and I was wondering how important it is to you that I get this second one. For financial reasons, I'd just as soon close up shop and start getting ready for med school.

CAROL FOX: What are you taking right now?

ME: Calculus II...

CAROL FOX:
Pfft. I don't need that. What else are you taking?

ME: Swimming and Yoga. I need to maintain 6 hours to keep my student loans in deferment.

CAROL FOX: Haha. What did you plan to take in the Spring?

ME:
Human biology, and probably more swimming and yoga. Or possibly Spanish, if it fit my schedule.

CAROL FOX: Do you already have enough biology to meet our requirements?

ME: More than enough.

CAROL FOX:
Okay, you're good to go.

So no more stupid undergrad for me. I just dropped Calculus II, and I'll be doing 6 hours of PE to keep the loan collectors off my back in the Spring. Then, off to school baby!

Haha...very nice!

I had just started a "2nd" degree and doing more post-bacc work when I got accepted last year. I'm not sure which I was more relieved about at the time, getting into med school or realizing that I didn't have continue to jump through any more undergrad hoops and didn't have to sign up for anything the next semester.

lol omg Polynikes we were in the same interivew group for PCOM-GA.. October 3rd right? I remeber the ballroom dancing guy! Congradz on your acceptance.. just sent in my $250 this morning :)

Okay, it all makes sense now.

Judging from your screen name and avatar, you're the terrorist (Gators fan) that sat to my left. I'm the former Marine Corps guy.

Congrats by the way.

Has anyone that interviewed after Texas, heard anything? I interviewed on the 12th and nothing has come so far. Texas - When did they adcom meet for you? Was it the 14th or did you hear on the 14th?

My letter was dated the 14th. It was waiting for me when I got back from my trip to KCUMB, KCOM, and DMU. But they told me the admissions committee wasn't meeting until the 19th, so either they just told us the wrong date at my interview, or they liked me so much that they couldn't wait to admit me.

Another possibility is that the 14th is the last day they could have required the initial deposit on December 15th from us, so maybe they moved up the adcom meeting for that reason.

Either way, whether you had been accepted/rejected/waitlisted, if they had met about your file the same time they met about mine, I'd think you'd know something by now.

I have an interview this coming Thurs and I'm trying to book a car. Did any of yall pay ridiculous prices for car rental at Atl airport? I've looked at priceline, orbitz, car rental websites...and they're all giving me prices of $60-70 a DAY for economy or compact!! Where did you rent your cars and how much did you pay??

FYI: for those with upcoming interviews, i booked my hotel through priceline for $39- Hampton Inn Duluth =)

I paid like $60 for no rental car. I keep meaning to call priceline and get them to refund me. Supposedly they will do it.

I lost my credit card right before I had to leave for the airport, so they wouldn't rent me a car, even though I had already paid for it online.

I paid like $60 for no rental car. I keep meaning to call priceline and get them to refund me. Supposedly they will do it.

I lost my credit card right before I had to leave for the airport, so they wouldn't rent me a car, even though I had already paid for it online.

i really enjoyed your play by play explaining that whole fiasco. we can laugh about it now... :laugh:

I laughed about it then. I'm actually pretty impressed with my own ability to improvise in that situation. I think I dealt with it about as well as it could be dealt with. I've got to admit that there were a couple things going through my head at times though:

- Sitting my ass at the airport until the next day, and then having to fly back without going to the interview.

- Catching a cab and going to the interview in my blue jeans, flip flops, longhorn triathlon festival dry-fit shirt, and UT hat (what I wore on the plane), and reeking of body odor.

It was nice to be able to pull that off. And to be honest, I don't think the interview could have gone better. I really felt like I hit it off with the interviewers, students giving the tour, and pretty much everyone I talked to there. And, of course, I got accepted, so there's that.

Hi, I have applied both campuses. Can anyone gives me an idea which one is easier to get in? What are the advantages and cons of each campus?
thanks

Hi, I have applied both campuses. Can anyone gives me an idea which one is easier to get in? What are the advantages and cons of each campus?
thanks
I think its regional. The GA campus favors people from the Southeast (although I'm from TX and got in, and another girl on here from Michigan also got in), and the Philly campus fairly strongly favors PA residents, and surrounding states.

I haven't been to PCOM-Philly, but I know they take a lot of people. GA-PCOM takes only 80 or so students in each class, which is one of the things I really like about them.

The GA-PCOM is a new school, but given the resources that PCOM has, I'm certain that it is a quality operation. Obviously, PCOM-Philly is one of the big names in the profession. You couldn't possibly go wrong with them.

Thanks. Is it really hard to get in any of them? My 1' application won't be verified until Dec 4; are there any spaces left?

Its really hard to say. Both schools really favor non-traditional applicants, and they really seem to be big on clinical expderience. A DO letter will also be necessary. At this point in the cycle, it is a total crapshoot.

One thing I've noticed about applying to DO schools is that nobody is particularly impressed with my MCAT. I've gotten a few "that's nice, good job", but the MD schools I've interviewed at seemed a lot more enamored with it than the DO schools. I'm sure it helps, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be in the same position with a few points lower. The DO schools just look for different things in their appkicants.

Georgia Campus - PCOM explicitly states in their admissions materials that its goal is to "recruit and maintain students from Georgia and the area." How exclusive are they, though, in upholding this claim? I'm from the Midwest and did not realize this until after I submitted a primary app and started receiving promotional material. Would it be foolish for me to submit a $50 secondary if I did not grow up in the South?

I've noticed at least one person (girl from FL) who interviewed at PCOM-Ga. Are you a rare exception to the rule? Or is it more common for PCOM-Ga to give West coast, Midwest, and East coast people interviews than I think?

I'm from TX and was accepted. Girl from Michigan was also accepted. So its not impossible, but they do only take ~80 people in each class.

NADH, perhaps you were too busy in with the krebs cycle and all to notice that many, many people have both been interviewed and accepted to PCOM-GA did you miss the whole Texas Tri entrance party. The fact is that although many schools have regional priorities they are going to consider good candidates from elsewhere

Georgia Campus - PCOM explicitly states in their admissions materials that its goal is to "recruit and maintain students from Georgia and the area." How exclusive are they, though, in upholding this claim? I'm from the Midwest and did not realize this until after I submitted a primary app and started receiving promotional material. Would it be foolish for me to submit a $50 secondary if I did not grow up in the South?

I've noticed at least one person (girl from FL) who interviewed at PCOM-Ga. Are you a rare exception to the rule? Or is it more common for PCOM-Ga to give West coast, Midwest, and East coast people interviews than I think?

I agree that Ga-PCOM will accept students based on qualifications and not merely location. In my case (girl from FL), I believe the admissions states, "Georgia and surrounding states" which would include Florida. There are even a couple of residency locations in Florida (West Palm and Orlando).
I say definitely apply, if you feel strongly about Ga-PCOM and the area it will become obvious during the interview. Tex T is excited about Atlanta and I'm sure that helped his case. :thumbup:

I laughed about it then. I'm actually pretty impressed with my own ability to improvise in that situation. I think I dealt with it about as well as it could be dealt with. I've got to admit that there were a couple things going through my head at times though:

- Sitting my ass at the airport until the next day, and then having to fly back without going to the interview.

- Catching a cab and going to the interview in my blue jeans, flip flops, longhorn triathlon festival dry-fit shirt, and UT hat (what I wore on the plane), and reeking of body odor.

It was nice to be able to pull that off. And to be honest, I don't think the interview could have gone better. I really felt like I hit it off with the interviewers, students giving the tour, and pretty much everyone I talked to there. And, of course, I got accepted, so there's that.

Well, as a fellow longhorn, had I been on the adcom, I woulda been just fine with the burnt orange tee and hat. the B.O., ehh, not so much. :laugh:

I think its regional. The GA campus favors people from the Southeast (although I'm from TX and got in, and another girl on here from Michigan also got in), and the Philly campus fairly strongly favors PA residents, and surrounding states.

Kentucky has an identity crisis. We are called Southern and other times Midwestern. Of course our school are part of the SEC so what gives.

I wonder if Kentucky is considered part of the SE for admissions?

Kentucky has an identity crisis. We are called Southern and other times Midwestern. Of course our school are part of the SEC so what gives.

I wonder if Kentucky is considered part of the SE for admissions?

...and the SEC rocks!!!

I hope to be able to attend SEC football games and tailgates while living in Georgia.

Football and tailgating here is fun, but its too civilized. Except for OU weekend.

I hope to be able to attend SEC football games and tailgates while living in Georgia.

Football and tailgating here is fun, but its too civilized. Except for OU weekend.

Oh yes SEC football is unbeatable, this was the first season I haven't been able to go to VOL games and I have to say it has sent me into a state of extreme depression.

I hope you have enough sense to not become a Georgia fan, however, since Georgia, Florida and LSU are all spawns of the devil in my humble opinion

Oh yes SEC football is unbeatable, this was the first season I haven't been able to go to VOL games and I have to say it has sent me into a state of extreme depression.

I hope you have enough sense to not become a Georgia fan, however, since Georgia, Florida and LSU are all spawns of the devil in my humble opinion

Let's just go with the SEC rules thing. I have friends who are vols and we manage to have a spirited camaraderie year after year. During my interview at Ga-PCOM I introduced my myself, stated my college and my love for the Gators. One of the interviewers looked me, smiled and gave her condolences. I was accepted, so harmony can prevail.

And TT your right-there is nothing to compare to a SEC game. You can come with me, I"ll be attending the Fl - Ga game any year possible.

I assure you that I will be taking you up on that offer. The Georgia-Florida game is on my short list of things to do before I die.

When I interviewed there, one of the main guys was out talking to us, and he told me that one of his daughters went to OU. I asked him if she was planning on attending college at any point. Luckily, he thought it was funny.

Thanks J,

This is amazing, I can't wait to get started!

Way to go man. Congrats. Is this your final decision or are you going to take more time to weigh your options?

When I interviewed there, one of the main guys was out talking to us, and he told me that one of his daughters went to OU. I asked him if she was planning on attending college at any point. Luckily, he thought it was funny.

brilliant... :laugh:

Tex,

I really liked GA-PCOM and they treated us all amazingly, I am pretty sure this is where I am going. It just feels right. I have a couple outstanding applications that will clear up soon hopefully and the picture will become clearer. It is going to be really, really hard to beat this school. I can't see myself picking anyplace over GA-PCOM. I was floored by the people and the enthusiasm and commitment of the entire GA-PCOM community. I am definitely sending in my check this week. It is going to be hard to be so far from my friends, family and hometown, but that is life, maybe it is time to move on. Plus we got this internet thing that makes it easier to stay in touch, but I am worried it ma just be a fad, like legwarmers and hyper color shirts.

Let's just go with the SEC rules thing. I have friends who are vols and we manage to have a spirited camaraderie year after year. During my interview at Ga-PCOM I introduced my myself, stated my college and my love for the Gators. One of the interviewers looked me, smiled and gave her condolences. I was accepted, so harmony can prevail.

And TT your right-there is nothing to compare to a SEC game. You can come with me, I"ll be attending the Fl - Ga game any year possible.

Yes, the SEC rocks and nothing compares. When I was at my interview, we stepped into a PCS session and the doc was asking us which schools we were from. I mentioned LSU and we went back and forth for a bit. GA-PCOM has an amazing feel to it. Everyone was incredibly friendly. I got my acceptance the next week after the interview (10/29). I know that all of you who are going will end up with a great medical education. For those who still have interviews, relax... they seem to like those who can sing the theme to Underdog. :p