PCOM- Atlanta, Georgia Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there an in-state preference here? Also, anyone know what the average numbers were for recent classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an in-state preference here? Also, anyone know what the average numbers were for recent classes?

Yes, there is in-state and south-eastern preference. Average stats were 3.4 gpa and 25 mcat. They also tend to be non-trad...something like over 60 percent non-trad.

That's nice to know. It would be nice to go to school with some people my own age. What was the average age?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's nice to know. It would be nice to go to school with some people my own age. What was the average age?

It's hard to say, but I was at an open house last week when they had a question and answer panel with current 2nd and 3rd year students, and only one of them had come to medical school right out of college. I would say the average age for first years is about 26.

what constitutes non-trad? I'm a bit thrown off by your mdapps Texastriathlete, because you graduated with Kinesiology which is a science, but you're considering yourself a non-trad? I'm a few years younger than you, graduated with Computer Science, worked and went back for a post bacc. which I consider non-trad b/c of a career change. I'm not trying to attack you here, just curious. When I told my age to the lady at PCOM in the summer, she said i wasn't non-trad, which I consider myself to be....

I had my interview this week and it was very relaxed and conversational.
Just be ready to talk to your interviewers and convey to them who you are beyond the numbers and that is really all they are interested in. I hope they have an adcom meeting soon so we hear something back.

I am so anxious to hear something. I interviewed on October 3rd and I really liked it. Hope we hear something soon.

If the admissions committee only meets once a month, I wonder if it is a disadvantage to interview early in the month.

I wonder how many people will interview in a given month. The girl above said only her and one other dude interviewed on her day.

Well, i dont know if this helps but there were only 4 people including myself at my interview, and from what I heard from the people working in the office, i think 4 is the max, with sometimes 2 and 3. I am thinking that they interview two or three times per week, and after their meetings divide up files into accept, hold, or deny stacks. At the end of the month, it seems like a formality for the adcom to get together, approve the accept pile, and review the others since it is a rolling admission. I have no idea if this is actually true, but based on what I've been told, that is what I have come up with. So, i dont think interviewing at the beginning of the month is a disadvantage other than just having to wait til the end of the month for some official word.

I interviewed the 17th and really loved this place. Also Tex I see your are a fellow triathlete. I did Ironman Florida last year partly to get away from the MCAT drama and relieve some stress...it definitely worked. I consider myself non-trad due to being 28, undergrad in partying (business degree while playing baseball), pulling my life out of hell (alcoholism) to a post-bacc in pre-med, to our current situation. Life is good when I step aside and let God run the show. Good luck to everyone and I hope we get in soon!

That's kind of funny. A good friend of mine is an alcoholic, and I went to a few AA meetings with her, out of support and curiosity, and I saw quite a few people there who I had seen at races. Its funny how the same personality trait can lead someone to do something either extremely destructive or extremely productive for themselves.

I've also got her riding, running, and swimming a lot. She hasn't done a race yet, but I hope to get her into one by next season.

Congratulations on your ironman, and on sobriety. Maybe I've got an ironman in me one of these days, but no time soon. I am a serious clydesdale, and it will take me a while to build a base for something like that. I'm not fat, so it isn't just a matter of losing weight. I simply don't have much weight to lose, and I'm a big dude, and more of a strength/power athlete by nature. So the really long stuff is tough for me. I've gotten to be pretty good in the sprints though.

I interviewed on October 2nd, and there were 5 of us interviewing. That day.

It does kind of suck having to wait...okay it sucks hard...but, whatever.

We all knew what we were getting into right?

Congrats on your lifestyle change brother, and good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I'm a 1st yr here at the GA campus. Congratulations to everyone for getting interviews--and good luck to those that are waiting. I've met some of you during your interviews. Feel free to ask me questions (i'm not on SDN all that much these days---but i'll try to reply as often as I can). Somebody had asked about the daily/weekly schedules...so here it is...

we are mostly in class from 8-5 on most days. Sometimes we get off early depending on which OMM group we are in or if Anatomy ends early. Fridays we get out at noon...unless we have a major exams (they are usually at 1PM fridays)

Mondays--We have PCS from 8-10 lecture. The whole class is divided into 2 lab groups for OMM and PCS. We alternate each week as to which group goes 1st or 2nd. Group A would go into PCS lab from 10 to 11 and Group B would go into lab from 11-12 and vice versa the week after. Sometimes you get a 2 hr lunch break or get an hour before lab which is good for a mini-study session. We have lunch 12-1 everday and usually 3-4 hrs of lecture depending on what section we are working on.

Tuesdays--Either anatomy lab or lecture from 8-11. 11-12 we have OMM lecture. 1-2:30 is OMM lab for one group, 2:30-4, OMM for 2nd group

Wednesdays: Either lab or lecture or combination of both 8-12. Medicine and Society on most wed afts 1-4

Thurdays: labs/lecture 8-4

Fridays: mostly lecture 8-9 and anatomy lab 9-12

Schedule is different every week for anatomy labs and lecture. PCS and OMM are constant on mondays and tuesdays. M&S is a sure thing on most wednesday afts. Like I said earlier, we have 4 major anatomy exams---all on Friday @ 1PM. We do get the day before the exam off for independent study which is great. PCS exams are on Mondays and OMM exams are on tuesdays. Practical exams for OMM and PCS are usually on fridays or divided up in 2 days.

Hope this helps,

If you guys have anymore questions, let me know--would be more than happy to answer them!

How do you like the area around PCOM?

I actually love the suwanee area. I grew up in GA and went to undergrad and grad school in around ATL, so I might be partially bias to it. Suwanee is little on the expensive end, but its nice. Its not "in" atlanta, so its not as busy as downtown, but close enough to it if you like. ONLY thing that I hate about metro atl is the traffic....esp. I-85 in gwinnett...its horrible. Most students live very close to school, so its not that big of a deal.

Just received my invite! So excited--anyone else interviewing that day??
For those wondering, I was complete around 10/25.

okay guys, the mail has come and nothing again, so I called and found at that the letters were sent out yesterday, the 6th. I hope that information is useful for some of you.

Yeah, I called them this morning.

I'm in Savannah, so I probably won't get mine until tomorrow at the earliest...

I so sick of this...

dude, texasTri--you could just bicycle to your interviews!!
thatd be one helluva story to tell the adcoms when you arrive =]
I am so de-trained right now, I probably couldn't ride my bike around the block.

Which ironman are you training for? I don't think I've got one in me before med school. Especially if I keep getting hurt. However, I will be putting my name in the lottery for escape from alcatraz in a few days when it comes online.

I was offered an interview yesterday for 11/13 at PCOM-GA but I had to reschedule to 11/29. I wonder if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage..PCOM has rolling admissions, correct? If anyone is interested..I was complete 11/05. This is my very first interview..and I am extremely nervous..

I was offered an interview yesterday for 11/13 at PCOM-GA but I had to reschedule to 11/29. I wonder if I'm putting myself at a disadvantage..PCOM has rolling admissions, correct? If anyone is interested..I was complete 11/05. This is my very first interview..and I am extremely nervous..

There is absolutely no reason to be nervous.

I was nervous (it was my first too), but I knew as I walked into the room that this was no big deal.

Me and my two interviewers just sat and basically chit chatted for 40 minutes. It was so easy.

I went last in a group of 5, and the buildup kind of sucked.

But it was so easy when I got in there.

Dude, just know what you're going to say when they ask you the question that you know you're going to get : Why DO?

I'm kinda mad that PCOM-Ga hasn't told me my status yet. I've been complete there for over a month. Does anyone know a direct line to the admissions office?? I'm calling them tomorrow. This is rediculous! oh and good luck to those with interviews

another day, another empty mailbox :(

I'm kinda mad that PCOM-Ga hasn't told me my status yet. I've been complete there for over a month. Does anyone know a direct line to the admissions office?? I'm calling them tomorrow. This is rediculous! oh and good luck to those with interviews

Let me know how that goes... I'm still waiting too.

Fight On!

Accepted to PCOM-Ga...

My impressions: this place may be the DO world's best-kept secret. You can't learn anything from the website, you can't get anyone on the phone who is actually in GA by calling the numbers on the website, and nobody talks about this school on here. But they've got a nice facility, apparently a great faculty, small class-size, nice neighborhood, and the students appear to be a pretty close-knit crew.

The people in the admissions office are extremely friendly and helpful. This one master's student who works in there sat down to chat with us for quite a while, and was particularly. Informative.

And it probably doesn't get much better than Atlanta for rotations. A lot of diversity in your patient population.

I could easily see myself going there.

I couldn't believe how beautiful Georgia was when I was there a few weeks ago. I found myself wishing I had applied to PCOM-Ga. Good luck with everything, Tex.

Lemme let you in on something else gents: They have very strong ties to Emory.

As for my going there, we'll see. If I don't get into MCG, I'll probably go. In fact, I have an interview at Mercer in December, and I think I will put PCOM-Ga above Mercer.

So, we'll see.

Gwinnett County is ranked in the top 10 best places to live in the country.

Texas, I had Matayoshi too.

What a nice guy.

Did you know he used to coach professional ball room dancers?

Lemme let you in on something else gents: They have very strong ties to Emory.

As for my going there, we'll see. If I don't get into MCG, I'll probably go. In fact, I have an interview at Mercer in December, and I think I will put PCOM-Ga above Mercer.

So, we'll see.

Gwinnett County is ranked in the top 10 best places to live in the country.

NICE! I'm an Emory alum. What kind of ties do they have?

Sweet! The letter finally came. My first choice...what a relief. I am done with this crazy process. Good luck to everyone still waiting! :D

NICE! I'm an Emory alum. What kind of ties do they have?

From what I was told, there are several Emory professors who go to PCOM to give lectures and seminars and stuff like that.

Plus, I also heard that the faculty get along quite well.

Dr. Matayoshi seems like he has accomplished quite a bit in his lifetime. He was a real pleasure to chat with.

Pifer didn't say much, but he was also very friendly.

Okay, so to expand on the interview...

Dr. Matayoshi talked a lot. Which is not a bad thing, because he is an extremely smart guy, and a great talker. He seems like the kind of guy that you'd love to have as your lecturer.

It started out with a "tell me about yourself, and how you got to this point in your life" type question.

They asked me "why PCOM"? I told them that the PCOM name speaks for itself, and that I could only assume that they'd bring the same kind of quality education to the new campus.

I was asked my own thoughts on osteopathic medicine, and the difference between that and MD. Then they kind of explained it to me, and why they thought that osteopathic medicine would be a better fit for me (said that the manipulative stuff could be a valuable tool for me in working with athletes, etc.). I am inclined to agree.

Dr. Pifer would pop in every now and then and tell me how he thought DO school would be a better fit for me. Again, I can't argue with what they were telling me.

Dr. Matayoshi then asked me about my learning style. We talked a lot about conceptual learning vs. memorization. He asked me how I turned it around, and this kind of led into the learning question.

Dr. Pifer asked me how I got such a high MCAT. I told him I didn't really think it was as good as I could do, but that it was good enough that I didn't need to take it again.

Then they asked me if there was anything I wanted to tell them. I said that even though I'm a big guy and an athlete that I wasn't necessarily wanting to go into ortho, and that I hadn't ruled out primary care by any means. I also told them how, at my LECOM-B interview, they told me that they could tell already that primary care didn't interest me, which may or may not be true. This kind of caught me off guard, so I went for the pre-emptive strike this time. I haven't ruled anything out yet, and will enter med school with a completely open mind, and I wanted to make this clear.

The interview was very relaxed and honestly a great little chat. Dr. Matayoshi was kind of the super genius type, and Dr. Pifer was the wise man with a lot of experience. Both were very pleasent to talk to, and anyone who ends up there will be very lucky to have Matayoshi as a professor.

ACCEPTED!!!!! and GOING!!!! wahooooo!!!!

ACCEPTED!!!!! and GOING!!!! wahooooo!!!!

When was your interview? Was it the same as TexasTri's interview, I mean same day?.........I'm getting nervous for Tex here. I got $50 riding on him.....:eek::eek::eek::eek: We got to get Tex accepted!

She went in like a week before me, and I think she posted on here that her admissions committee meeting was that same day, after she interviewed. My file will be reviewed on the 19th. I'm still alive.

okay...I just puked...better now. whew! (hands shaking)

Tex, we got half the city of Louisville rootin' for your admissions.

done......Sunday, 10am in front of Calhoun Hall, UT Austin campus

Yes Tex is right, I had my interview last wednesday (Halloween), and got my letter this saturday! I am so pleased and surprised. good luck everyone!!!!! I can't wait to meet my future classmates!!! :hardy:
p.s. the ADCOM meeting was a few hours after my interview so I was definitely in the right place at the right time; and although I missed celebrating Halloween it was wellllll worth it :)

I called PCOM-GA the other day to ask where my application status was and they told me they would review it between now and march.... WTF? I dont think that many people applied there so far and I was complete months ago. I think they are giving me the shaft.

I doubt that. This process just takes a while sometimes. Unfortunately, there is no exact formula for us to know how they are going to evaluate our applications.