PCCM 2008 Match Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
George Washington University:
quote]

Received some information from a GW graduate, and they felt that it was a good clinical program. Georgetown is the research heavy program in DC (obviously), but this is a good place to learn the field. The schedule is not too intense, which depending on your learning style may or may not be a good thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Airway Management for Pulm / CC fellows

In my travels during interview season I was really surprised to find that some programs have almost no formal training in airway management... Yes, you can do an elective anesthesia month, but it seems after that, Anesthesia is called for all intubations. These were otherwise fine programs that I'd be happy to match at:

Tufts = a few supervised intubations each year per fellow
UMass = same
St. Elizabeth's = same

Contrast this to:
Henry Ford = 1 to 2 tubes per on call shift
University of VT = about 1 every other call shift
NYU = tubes out the wazoo

Programs that require in house call fellows get good at intubation. Otherwise the experience is hit or miss. I personally believe that a pulm / C.C. fellow ought to be competent at airway management...
Does this mean first pass success 100% of the time? No, we will never be as good as anesthesia or ER (Just due to volume). But geez, it is clearly within the scope of our practice.... Seems to me most of us ought to be able to do it (or at least attempt it with competence) when it needs to be done.

Thoughts?

Anybody interviewed at Yale already ? The schedule says there are about 15 candidates each day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody interviewed at Yale already ? The schedule says there are about 15 candidates each day.

Just came back from there. They have approx 10-15 candidates per interview day.

It's fun :D

Airway Management for Pulm / CC fellows

Thoughts?

I agree. I've noticed that the PCCM fellows have essentially given up this procedure to the anesthesiologists.

I feel pretty dumb. I did not realize that a number of the programs that I have interviewed with DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE MATCH!!! They only participate in ERAS, and not the NRMP. :eek:

Translation: They are going to be sending out fellowship invitations in the upcoming weeks. We will need to opt out of the match (of course) to take these positions. What are you guys going to do? Or, did you guys actually read the fine print? :confused:

I feel pretty dumb. I did not realize that a number of the programs that I have interviewed with DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE MATCH!!! They only participate in ERAS, and not the NRMP. :eek:

Translation: They are going to be sending out fellowship invitations in the upcoming weeks. We will need to opt out of the match (of course) to take these positions. What are you guys going to do? Or, did you guys actually read the fine print? :confused:

which programs are these?

ditto above. Please elaborate which programs are not doing NRMP. Thanks

which are those and how did you find out? was it through the nrmp directory? is that updated for this yr for all programs?

mayb i can cancel some interviews if i find out those programs.

interviewing there tom and the day after. any tips guys?

These programs actually listed that they fill positions outside the match on FREIDA, which is the AMA's website for fellowships. I did not realize this at first because I believed that ERAS/NRMP was a package deal for programs. Well, it's not a package deal.

They are sending out invitations in pairs, which means that I would be identifying myself by stating the names of these programs. I would not want these programs to infer from my recent posts that I'm not interested. Rather, I'm just taking the time to consider my options whilst informing others that such an offer may be coming.

well.. seems its not only me!! and i had thought i was at least good enough for HF- was fun reading their rej--- although favorbly impressed by ur appln and cv, we decided to pursue other candidates!!

with 99, 99 and 88 and a poster and an abstract in a journal supplement, and hopefully reasonable LORs, and as a R2- my chances seem slim coz i am on H1??

seems its not working out this yr or ever. mayb will do hospitalist in midwest...... and go back to home country in few yrs.

never felt so depressed since starting residency!!

Just a reminder!!!! I didn't see before that you are interviewing at G-town, Congrats.

from AECOM main program-montefiore/jacobi. seems like a good one in a bad location.

and...

thanks pilondoc. the last 2 months did make a difference in my situation. i hope june will bring me (and all of us of course,) the best we deserve!

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewing there tom and the day after. any tips guys?
Are u talking about Beth Israel NY ? It was nice program till this yr. But now everybody I mean everybody left the program. They have no department chief/PD as of now. Some already left , some leaving by June. Theperson who interviewed me was leaving in june. I asked the reason , they said whole faculty was unhappy with the new administration of hospital. Either they will hire great ppl , and will be very good by the time we join, or ....
Its busy program , typical city program , subsidized housing 16oo dollars for studio across the street.
My PD says its falling apart , dont even rank them, But I still liked it.

When is the deadline to register for NRMP ?

Are u talking about Beth Israel NY ? It was nice program till this yr. But now everybody I mean everybody left the program. They have no department chief/PD as of now. Some already left , some leaving by June. Theperson who interviewed me was leaving in june. I asked the reason , they said whole faculty was unhappy with the new administration of hospital. Either they will hire great ppl , and will be very good by the time we join, or ....
Its busy program , typical city program , subsidized housing 16oo dollars for studio across the street.
My PD says its falling apart , dont even rank them, But I still liked it.

yep. u r right. dont know if its that great a program anymore. did like g-town but they seem to be very inbred and i wonder how many internals they have this yr.

There is an open position at Georgetown (not the affiliate program, rather THE UNIVERSITY) for July 2008. So, there is a fellowship position at a good university program available for THIS SUMMER. If you have not signed a contract with a hospitalist group, and are available for this summer then contact the PD's office directly.

Thanks for information

Last edited:
Just wondering, Did anyone get asked any awkward/difficult questions?
I scheduled my interviews late and they start Monday.

What questions have you guys been asked?

Any help appreciated.

Just wondering, Did anyone get asked any awkward/difficult questions?
I scheduled my interviews late and they start Monday.

What questions have you guys been asked?

Any help appreciated.

1. Why did you choose to go to a community program?
2. Why would you choose our program? It's in a small town, and you have never been here before? What exactly drew you to our program?
3. What is a current weakness that you have that you will need to improve prior to fellowship. Preferably, a weakness that is related to pulmonology.
4. Why specifically do you like pulmonology, or do you simply like critical care?
5. We have a particular trial [X], and it's methods are as follows. What methodological flaw is present in our study design. Will our results be applicable to most patients. Etc. (Not a trial described on the faculty page)
6. Why specifically does smoking lead to increased risk for pulmonary infections? (Made me go all the way down to the cellular level!!!)
7. What is the theoretical benefit of LVRS, and why is it not universally accepted? (The questioner is performing research in this area of medicine)

Overall, I think the 1st question was the most difficult question to answer. I attended 10 interviews, and 8 programs hammered me on this question. My advice, pause before answering one of these loaded questions. Present your answer in outline format, which helped me organize my response. Also, consider buying a book titled "How to interview like an MBA". This book helped me tremendously.

hi guys,

any info on those programs?

hi guys,

any info on those programs?

Metrohealth is ok, 2 positions, and many internal candidates.AR they are very nice. The chairman and PD are very nice, the other attendings are very nice, the program coordinator is very sweet. the fellows are funny. they have a good clinical training. PD is pushing for more research as the fellow told me and that something I like.

1. Why did you choose to go to a community program?
2. Why would you choose our program? It's in a small town, and you have never been here before? What exactly drew you to our program?
3. What is a current weakness that you have that you will need to improve prior to fellowship. Preferably, a weakness that is related to pulmonology.
4. Why specifically do you like pulmonology, or do you simply like critical care?
5. We have a particular trial [X], and it's methods are as follows. What methodological flaw is present in our study design. Will our results be applicable to most patients. Etc. (Not a trial described on the faculty page)
6. Why specifically does smoking lead to increased risk for pulmonary infections? (Made me go all the way down to the cellular level!!!)
7. What is the theoretical benefit of LVRS, and why is it not universally accepted? (The questioner is performing research in this area of medicine)

Overall, I think the 1st question was the most difficult question to answer. I attended 10 interviews, and 8 programs hammered me on this question. My advice, pause before answering one of these loaded questions. Present your answer in outline format, which helped me organize my response. Also, consider buying a book titled "How to interview like an MBA". This book helped me tremendously.

Thanks for your input.

I got a total of 6 interviews and wherever I have gone, there are at least 4-5 applicants interviewing the same day. Some places there have been up to 14! I think most places interview with a ratio of 1:8 depending on the number of spots.

I know its tough to predict, but does anyone think there is a "safe number" of interviews to match 100%???

Do you guys really think programs PRE-MATCH for fellowship??

Metrohealth is ok, 2 positions, and many internal candidates.AR they are very nice. The chairman and PD are very nice, the other attendings are very nice, the program coordinator is very sweet. the fellows are funny. they have a good clinical training. PD is pushing for more research as the fellow told me and that something I like.

i liked metrohealth as well....... good for a community program. they seemed to be increasing emphasis in research too.

arkansas has interventional bronch too but the person is leaving..

did my 11th interview and none really stand out. will have a tough time picking one over another. 6 more scheduled...already drained out of energy .......and money.

6 more scheduled...already drained out of energy .......and money.
Holy cow. You are an oak. I have my last one coming up this week and it can't be a moment too soon.

New Mexico - anyone heard anything?

Interviewed there today. Like it the most so far above all programs I have been to including Georgetown. Got to see MUSC, cedars sinai, AECOM before finally putting down the rank order list.

Lets pick our top choices to keep the thread alive guys!

Lets pick our top choices to keep the thread alive guys!
I'm too anxious to post my top choice, for fear of having to come back in June to say I didn't get it. :( But I'll let you know if I do!

hi, Can anybody tell me about Joh H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County Program. Did anybody interview there. i just received my interview from there and would like to get details. Please help

Yeah...I guess CCH is looking for more people...I too got an interview there today. I heard that program is in shambles, money being cut right and left;
I ll still go, but would anyone please comment on the status??? Anyone heard anything conrete?

does anyone know how many programs we can rank without having to pay extra?

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I just have done my interview in USC. It is an excellent program. I attended the ground round presented by the first year fellows, was really very good. The pathology is amazing. they have plenty of procedures. You work hard but at the end of your third year you know that you can work any where.

especially the top 3. what do ya all think?

Georgetown
MCV-VCU
MUSC

also

UKentuky
Cedars
UTMB
AECOM
St Lukes
Wayne

I will put USC on the top.
I think you may need to move AECOM up and MUSC down.

i do not have USC interview..unless u meant cedars or something else.
was not particulary impressed by AECOM- no interventional, no transplant, not a lot of research months...and do not know if really want to go to NY.

thanks for the input though. wherez ur trail at?

University of Missouri, Columbia has an unexpected opening for the year:):) 2008.

Hey guys, howz the rank list going ?
ANybody going to ATS , toronto this week ?

hi guys,

anything from any programs at all? just a month now.......

hi guys,

anything from any programs at all? just a month now.......

some programs sent to me mails and other sent emails saying that they think I am a very strong candidate. few of them are on the top of my list.

some programs sent to me mails and other sent emails saying that they think I am a very strong candidate. few of them are on the top of my list.

u r already on your way to a great match!

i havent herd from anyone as such, although i havent really followed any. think most programs have already sent their rank orders.

LMA, my friend!
the answer to all problems- Intubate if you can, second attempt LMA-then call the gasman.
always works-very safe.

especially the top 3. what do ya all think?

Georgetown: dont know
MCV-VCU: average
MUSC: a real jewel....its one of the most balanced programs in the country. Sahn rules and so do the others in that program.go there if you can.

also

UKentuky
Cedars
UTMB
AECOM
St Lukes
Wayne
hhhhh

what do i need to do to withdraw from the match?
i went to the nrmp but still cannot figure it out.
thanks
b-

what do i need to do to withdraw from the match?
i went to the nrmp but still cannot figure it out.
thanks
b-
Log in at NRMP, then click on "Update My Profile." Next to your name will be a link that says "withdraw." I didn't dare click on it, but I assume that's the way to go.

What happened? Did you get a prematch, you lucky duck? :)

awesome!! lucky you.
was it one of your top choices? which program is it if you dont mind telling?

Took a spot outside the match also, good luck to everyone on match day.