PCAT: October 16, 2010 - Scores Countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sayeobrid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to receive them on Thursday Morning November 18, 2010 on the Web site ...!!!!

18 days to go..

Good Luck to all....

Members don't see this ad.

Received the results via snail mail.

Verbal 77
Biology 99
Reading 87
Quant 59
Chemistry 62
Composite 88

Writing 2 & 2

First time taking the pcat. Had complete mental brain fart during the essays. The qa section was a complete crapshoot since I haven't taken math in over 3 years.

Should I retake or run with it?

totally pumped about my scores. I did very little studying so I wasn't sure how it would go.

Verbal 97
Biology 98
Reading Comp. 94
Quant. 96 (yes!)
Chemistry 85
Composite 98

Writings were both 3.0's. I know I could have done better on the Chem portion, but I was attacked by sudden stomach cramps 15 minutes in to the section. It's kind of hard to focus when you think you might see your breakfast again. I totally can't complain...I did better than I thought I would, that's for sure.

Hey guys,
So all the testing centers are full where I live for the Jan session. The other closest one is in US. I can go there and take it right? i am just kinda paranoid that I have to send an application or something to ask if I can take the test in another country, lol!
Somebody reassure me, please! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
First time taking and on and off light studying for a month or so, and I got
Verbal: 86
Bio: 80
Reading: 58
Quant: 59
Chem: 72
Composite: 76

I can't complain considering the circumstances (wished I restudied chem/bio more...), and can certainly live with the results.

Biology: 84
Reading: 35....:eek:
Quantitative: 77
Chemistry: 93
Composite: 83

Writing: 3/3

The reading killed me big time....should I retake or just go with it?

Got my scores in the mail today. Had to do a double take when I saw it - 99 composite! 90+in all sections and 3 in both essays. I was honestly expecting 70-80 range after the math kicked my ass.

welp, i'm screwed:

64 comp:
VA 45
RC 25 (ya thats just dandy)
bio 88
QA 64
chem 77

my first time i winged it and got a 35 comp, but my RC scores were much higher (52), and VA stayed the same. Do you think schools will acknowledge my previous individual scores.

thx

I had a 58 composite the first time I took the PCAT and a 62 composite this time. I'm worried because I did really low on biology. If I was accepted into a Pharmacy School and paid the deposit this past week, will I be rejected because of my new score? I'm worried they might withdraw their acceptance.

Verbal: 45
Biology: 25 (went down like 20 points somehow)
Reading: 35 (went down 10)
Quantitative 73 (went up a like 20)
Chemistry 95 (Lol went up like 40)

Essay sections i got both a 3/5. I hope they don't take away the acceptance now :(

don't worry, i think they won"t revoke your acceptance considering your composite actually went up.

here is my october pcat result
verbal 58-same as august
biology-76-august was 71 (went up 5)
reading-9-auguat was 10 ( went down 1)-this really killed me
quantitative 59-august was 39 (went up 20)
chemistry 53-august was 58 (went down 5)

composite-47 (august was 43)-went up (4)

i think i should worry because of my reading score, i thought i did better in reading this time

Last edited:
PharmCAS has my Oct '10 PCAT scores before I do. What a joke. :p
Yes :p I think it's a ploy by Pearson. They know we check PharmCAS about as much as we check our facebooks. I bet they send scores out to PharmCAS a day or two before our personal scores lol. That way more people spend the $20 to see their score out of desperation.

Honestly though, Massachusetts getting a letter before actual Texas residents:thumbdown:

I feel pretty good about my score, especially for my first and only time taking it. I registered and began studying a little less than a month before the test and had a death in the family about a week after registering. Needless to say, I did not get anywhere near the amount of studying I wanted to get done, especially in math:

VA 416 73
Bio 430 88
RC 425 82
QA 416 69*
Chem 455 96
Comp 428 89

Writing 3.0/3.0

The only school that I am going to apply to is Mercer. I have my BS in chemistry and a bio minor (cumulative GPA 3.3 , science GPA 3.86). I founded a pre-pharm club at my school. The only work experience I have is a six month clinical pharmacology internship, but it was with Mercer staff and I left a very good impression. I think I have a strong application. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the application cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
FL tester here in Tampa.... scores came in today:

Biology: 91
RC: 76
Quant: 99
Chem: 95
Composite: 97

Pretty happy with it considering my GPA is right around a 3.2 :( Oh well let's see how the applications go.....

Verbal: 73
Biology: 84
RC: 35
Quant: 8
Chem: 37
Composite: 45

I did horrible. Definitely going to retake in January. How did you guys study for the math,reading and chem section?

Last edited:
I got my scores today. This was my first time taking the test.

Verbal Ability 416 - 73 (disappointed)
Biology 425 - 84 (lower than expected, but acceptable)
Reading 404 - 52 (ouch!)
Quantitative 413 - 64 (pleasantly surprised, thought I did much worse)
Chemistry 472 - 99 (exceeded my own expectations!)

Composite 426 - 87

Writing 2.5 / 2.5 (disappointed - do they even read these things?)

I graduated college back in 1999. I've bounced around and worked a lot of jobs. I spent the last four years teaching science in the public schools, but was recently laid off and decided to give Pharmacy school a go. Being a little rusty on the core content, I spent most of my time studying for Math, Bio, and Chem. I totally ignored the other sections thinking that I knew them cold. Oh well.

Is there any point to retaking the test? I think that I put up a competitive score and would rather not spend another $150 and months of agony awaiting scores on another standardized test.

I finally got my scores today in the mail

VA: 50
Bio: 76
QA: 88
Chem: 81
Composite: 80

I'm pretty happy with my scores since I got a 43 and 53 my first two times. I have an overall GPA of 3.68. I don't have any pharmacy experience. Do you guys think this is good enough to get into pharmacy school? I'm applying to all four of the pharmacy schools in GA. Please let me know! :)

This was my first time taking the PCAT and my results were:

Verbal 403 (53)
Biology 435 (91)
Reading Comp 394 (35)
Quant 413 (64)
Chemistry 449 (95)

Composite: 79

I am applying to Pitt, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, LECOM, U Maryland, Wilkes, Rutgers, VCU, and U Illinois Chicago. I have 4 years of research experience on drug discovery projects and a summer of pharmacy technician experience. My GPA is a 3.62, so I was wondering what my chances for getting interviews/acceptance would be. Also, what sections the admissions committees generally focus on. Thanks everyone!

Just received my scores in the mail..

VA: 58
Bio: 35
RC: 87
QA: 32
Chem: 48

Comp: 53
3.0/3.0 Essays

This is my first time taking it and I am planning on definitely taking it again in January. I have completed Bio I&II, Chem I&part of II, have not gotten to organic or Calc yet but will be next semester. I feel I did pretty well considering the test was mostly Org and Calc!
I used the Kaplan review book, I will go over that again, but does anyone have any more study tips??? :confused: January is my last chance to get my score more competitive!

I finally got my scores today in the mail

VA: 50
Bio: 76
QA: 88
Chem: 81
Composite: 80

I'm pretty happy with my scores since I got a 43 and 53 my first two times. I have an overall GPA of 3.68. I don't have any pharmacy experience. Do you guys think this is good enough to get into pharmacy school? I'm applying to all four of the pharmacy schools in GA. Please let me know! :)

You'll be fine. I got accepted to Mercer with an 84, similar gpa and one day of shadowing as my only pharmacy experience. I also had other EC's like a leadership position and research. I'm sure you can also get an interview at UGA and PCOM with those stats. I don't know anything about South (didn't apply there).

Finally got my scores here in Minnesota.

August '10 composite - 54

October '10 scores:

Chemistry - 72
Biology - 71
Reading Comprehension - 90
Verbal Ability - 77
Quantitative Ability - 69

Composite - 80

Got mine back in the mail today ... I live near Philly.

Verbal 77
Biology 94
Reading 89
Quant 90
Chem 94
Composite 94

Pretty excited I did well. I'm not doing pharmacy as of right now I just took it to keep my options open for a career path.

Studied for about 3 days for this, but studying for the MCAT 6 months ago made this time around seem a lot easier.

Just got my scores in the mail today and all I can say is how the *&%$#@ did I get a 25 in reading comprehension!?!? When I took it last time I got a 90! I'm stumped. :(

Just got my scores in the mail today and all I can say is how the *&%$#@ did I get a 25 in reading comprehension!?!? When I took it last time I got a 90! I'm stumped. :(

Maybe you effed up the bubbling for the scantron ... that's the only thing I can think of

what do you guys think of my scores. should i retake?

verbal: 63
reading: 18
biology: 94
quantitative: 95
chemistry: 90

my reading score sucks. i have a 3.06 GPA, and no pharm experience

You'll be fine. I got accepted to Mercer with an 84, similar gpa and one day of shadowing as my only pharmacy experience. I also had other EC's like a leadership position and research. I'm sure you can also get an interview at UGA and PCOM with those stats. I don't know anything about South (didn't apply there).

Thank you! I also have other EC's including leadership positions. Hopefully that'll be good enough. I'm aiming for UGA since it is the cheapest. I really appreciate your feedback! :)

Scores in parentheses are from June 2010

Verbal Ability (77) 63- WTF? I thought this was the easiest section oh well
Biology (76) 84 :)
Reading Comprehension (69) 82 :)
Quantitative Ability (38) 59- That's a 21 % increase!!:D
Chemistry (64) 77 :)

Composite (67) 77

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. The first time in June I skimmed the Kaplan book. I wasn't too beat up over my score but I didn't want any sub-sections under 50 so I retook and increased my comp by 10. The second time around I just studied my ACS guide for O-chem and took Calc II.

I've been trying to find a place that will let me shadow or volunteer but they say they can't anymore. Do you know of a place where I can shadow or volunteer in Georgia?

You will have better luck by asking private pharmacies to shadow for a day. I asked 3 public pharmacies (all said no b/c of liability issues) before I asked a private pharmacy that was more than happy to have me. They put me to work too, haha!

Has anyone's scores been received by PharmaCAS yet?

and a great idea for volunteer experience are compounding pharmacies and veterinary hospital pharmacies, you gotta get around the patient-confidentiality stuff which is the hard part. look in the yellow pages and google and start calling these people, that's what i did, worked like a charm.

Has anyone's scores been received by PharmaCAS yet?

and a great idea for volunteer experience are compounding pharmacies and veterinary hospital pharmacies, you gotta get around the patient-confidentiality stuff which is the hard part. look in the yellow pages and google and start calling these people, that's what i did, worked like a charm.

My PharmCAS application says that they received my scores on the 17th of Novemeber of this year.

First-timer, chem major who graduated in '09.

Verbal: 432/89
Bio: 411/66
Reading: 435/90
Math: 419/73
Chem: 426/81
Compo: 425/86
Writing: 3.0/3.0

VERY pleased, though they might be going to waste...my main school doesn't look at PCAT scores. Filled in a healthy number of answers blindly on QA. Microbio is the only class I have yet to take that was relevant to the test.

What I did: I used the Kaplan PCAT book to start out with about a month and a half before the test. When it got to October, I took the three Person practice exams under test conditions a few days apart, which really helped narrow my focus (they're also the reason I did so well on Reading). I used old textbooks and notes to study, filling in the gaps in Kaplan. SDN helped a lot in general, too :)

Got my scores yesterday....

Verb 36
bio 91
reading 25
quan 77
chem 85

comp 69

My bio, math, and chem is strong but my reading n verbal is HORRIBLE. Think they look at those too heavily or am I fine? Writing was 3/3

Got it today here in the Bay Area.

It was my first time taking the PCAT and I never bought any practice tests from Pearson and I'd like to share my experiences and give my perspective on the test.

Verbal - 77
Biology - 98
Reading - 40 LOL! So illiterate....FAIL!
Math - 97
Chem - 77
Both Essays were 3's

Composite 91

I used both the Kaplan book and Dr. Collins guide. The two actually complement each other very well, syngerism I must say. Kaplan is good for the Bio and Chem sections, probably overly detailed as you probably won't see over 50% of the things mentioned in the Kaplan book, but it's definitely good if you're weak in Bio or Chem. It's utterly useless when it comes to Verbal and Reading; completely useless when it comes to essay writing; and average when it comes to math.

Dr. Collins on the other hand skims through Bio (24 pages) and Chem (47 pages). However, if you are short on time or cost is a factor, then go with Dr. Collins as Kaplan provides no substance in anything other than Bio and Chem. Dr. Collins is pretty good with the Verbal stuff, I actually saw a few of the exact same analogies that I studied. What I really liked about Dr. Collins was the plethora of practice tests and problems they gave you and it's somewhat comparable to the actual PCAT although maybe slightly easier.

The PCAT is grueling, not because of content, but because it's so long and EVERYONE around me was freaking starved. I sat next to a girl and I could hear her stomach growl, and she didn't try to hide it or look embarrassed. Eat a good breakfast! I actually ran out of time on a couple sections, Chem and Reading, no surprise that those are my weak points. I never timed myself when doing the practice problems at home, so I would suggest future test takers to do that. I'm fortunate that guessing doesn't hurt and can only help you, which is what I was relegated to (though I'm not a proponent of guessing or multiple choice tests). I actually don't know anyone who finished the entire Chem section on time. A lot of people I talked to also didn't finish the Math section. The commonality between them was that they all tried to solve the problems in its entirety. Instead, what I did was plug in answers and try to eliminate the obvious ones, or I would work halfway through and figure out the answer via process of elimination. Bio was probably the easiest section just because you didn't really have math problems to solve (except Hardy-Weinberg) and you don't need to re-analyze passages or anything. I actually was able to take a piss and still finish the bio section on time. What can I say about verbal and essays? Just know your words, be articulate, and eloquent, all of which do not fit me haha!

Last edited:
Got my scores yesterday...

Verbal 97
Biology 98
Reading 87
Quant. 27 - WTF?!?!
Chem 58
Composite 88

I'm pretty pissed about my quantitative score... I must have messed up on the bubbling on the scantron or something :( And my chem score actually went DOWN since taking organic... =/

VA: 86
Bio: 91
RC: 71
Quant: 77
Chem: 93
Comp: 90
Writing: 3.5/3.5

Pretty happy with these scores! Time to grab a Miller Lite and bump that new Kanye!

Verbal 432 / 89
Biology 418 / 76
QA 410 / 59
Read Comp 404 / 52
Chemistry 434 / 88
Composite 420 80

3.05 GPA and will have bachelors in Spring. 6 months pharmacy experience and applying to all schools in Florida and Georgia. Do I even have a chance to get an interview with a GPA so low? :confused:

Nothing too great in here,

Verbal 416 /73
Biology 425/84
Reading Comprehension 394/35
Quantitative Ability 433/88
Chemistry 455 /96

Composite 425 /86

I don't have any excuses to make for a poor RC score.:oops:

Do you guys think 3 year programs look for different kind of applicants than 4 year schools? most of the accelerated invited me to interview with them, but only one four year school asked me to interview. I wonder why,
there is my application status out of all the 3 year accelerated programs i applied to:

South University-Savannah-interview 11/5-DEFERRED UNTIL MARCH :( but:xf:
University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-:xf:
Sullivan University-still waiting
Pacific university in oregon-interview 01/08/2011:xf:
LECOM-ERIE-INTERVIEW 01/18:xf:
MCPHS-Worcester-hold until fall grades.

MY APPLICATION STATUS OUT OF ALL THE TRADITIONAL 4 YEAR PROGRAMS I APPLIED to:

Western New England College of pharmacy-interview 12/03:xf:
Presbyterian College-still waiting
University of Oklahoma-still waiting
Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Long Island University-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-still waiting

Has any of you ever heard of any one who requested their answer booklet verified by handscoring?
I strongly believe I did much better than what I actually got on the score report.
And I decided to have my subtest being verified. The reason why I decided to do this because I did not use the proper No.2 pencil to bubble in the answer booklet.
Do you guys think this is the matter of causing my wrong result?

Thank you!

The PCAT is grueling, not because of content, but because it's so long and EVERYONE around me was freaking starved. I sat next to a girl and I could hear her stomach growl, and she didn't try to hide it or look embarrassed. Eat a good breakfast!

A little judgmental, don't you think? 1) It is difficult to eat a good breakfast when you are so nervous that you are afraid it might end up on your shoes, and 2) I did eat (read: shove down my throat) a decent breakfast full of protein and fat, and my stomach was growling midway through the bio section. I have to say, about the last thing I was going to do was look around and act embarrassed - it isn't like I could help it! Hide it? How???? Plus, I was way too focused on the task at hand than to be worrying about something I could not help. Lastly, the girl next to you could have been mortified, but how would you know, since no one can talk during the exam? Spend your mental energy somewhere that matters.

Hey guys,
So all the testing centers are full where I live for the Jan session. The other closest one is in US. I can go there and take it right? i am just kinda paranoid that I have to send an application or something to ask if I can take the test in another country, lol!
Somebody reassure me, please! :p
Can someone let me know please :confused:

Dallas resident here...I didn't get mine in the mail until 11/23. Good thing I paid the extra $20 to see them online on 11/16 instead of listening to previous dallas test-takers who said we would get them in the mail 1 or 2 days after they were available online :p would have been the longest 7 days of my life!