PCAT: October 16, 2010 - Scores Countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sayeobrid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to receive them on Thursday Morning November 18, 2010 on the Web site ...!!!!

18 days to go..

Good Luck to all....

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal: 99 (no change)
RC: 90 (down 4)
Bio: 91 (down 5)
Quant: 27 (!!!) (down 7) (!!!) :scared:
Chem: 95 (up 10)

Composite: 94 (no change)

Writing: 4.0/3.0 (up from 3.0/3.0)

Overall not really happy even though my scores are decent. That quant is just murdering me. My goal for Christmas break is an intensive round of focused practice and study, primarily calculus - if I can just get another 5-6 questions right, things will line up nicely.

And for what it's worth, I took the computerized exam this time - I really liked it. Made writing the essays much quicker and easier, and being able to move to the next section at my own pace, along with skipping the offered break, saved me about an hour worth of time. I'll definitely be trying to do that again in January.

Overall not really happy even though my scores are decent. That quant is just murdering me. My goal for Christmas break is an intensive round of focused practice and study, primarily calculus - if I can just get another 5-6 questions right, things will line up nicely.

And for what it's worth, I took the computerized exam this time - I really liked it. Made writing the essays much quicker and easier, and being able to move to the next section at my own pace, along with skipping the offered break, saved me about an hour worth of time. I'll definitely be trying to do that again in January.

Very nice!!!:clap:

How did you increase your score so much if you don't mind me asking, I just took it and got a 45 =/ I'm not sure what to study for January since the math section was nothing like the material I have.

Thank you =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on those scores. Could you please tell me how you studied for the exam and what review books you used to have such a huge improvement? I am taking retaking the Pcat in January.
Oops I forgot to quote, I have the same question, I scored a 45 =/ none of my math or chemistry material was covered on the PCAT, I was blindsided. I'm scared I'll fail again in January. If anyone can offer advice, that would be fantastic, thank you :)

My friend texted me early this morning to inform me the PCAT scores have been posted! This was my first and only time taking the PCAT. Thankfully I did better than I had originally thought considering I ran out of brain power toward the last few sections. Overall I'm happy with the result. :thumbup:

Verbal Ability 419/77%
Biology 435/91%
Reading Comprehension 416/71%
Quantitative Ability 416/69%
Chemistry 405/53%
Composite 418/77%

Writing
Conventions of Language 3
Problem Solving 3

On that note, I have PCAT study materials for sale. PM me if you're interested!

Good for you. I am a first and only timer myself, but I will wait until I reveive them by mail. It makes me angry when they take advantage that we can't wait to see the scores and and make us purchase them instead of just showing us our scores. Am I the only one? No, but people still go and purchase them.

Good for you. I am a first and only timer myself, but I will wait until I reveive them by mail. It makes me angry when they take advantage that we can't wait to see the scores and and make us purchase them instead of just showing us our scores. Am I the only one? No, but people still go and purchase them.

I was going to wait but I'm going out of town on vacation. It would eat at me knowing my score was waiting for me in the mailbox while I was gone.

I'm waiting for the mail, too.

But I can't blame others for paying to see their scores earlier. I'm not applying this cycle, but if I were, I would probably pay so I would know whether to finalize my application or apply for the PCAT again.

Pearson's still greedy, regardless :laugh:

Oops I forgot to quote, I have the same question, I scored a 45 =/ none of my math or chemistry material was covered on the PCAT, I was blindsided. I'm scared I'll fail again in January. If anyone can offer advice, that would be fantastic, thank you :)

I got a composite 98 on my Oct 2010 PCAT. I feel like I lucked out on the questions but here are the study tools I used:

GRE flashcards (offered as a set on Amazon)
PCAT destroyer
Barron's PCAT review
Pearson's practice tests (all done with time limits)
Review class material related to the test
Read the NYT briefly everday (good vocab and general knowledge review)

I hope that was helpful. The PCAT destroyer was the most helpful though if I only had to pick one.

Good luck in January!

Today I got home from class at the same as the postman did. I knew it would be too early, but it didn't stop me from running out to my mailbox and yelling OH GIMME GIMME!! No scores and left the guy looking like this:eek:

Aug 2010 Compared with Oct 2010

Verbal Ability 77/63 (-14)
Biology 51/91 (+40)
Reading Comprehension 45/47 (+2)
Math 55/64 (+9)
Chemistry 77/88 (+11)
Composite 64/77 (+13)

I am content

91 bio 88 chem isn't that what really matters :smuggrin:

Also I've taken math past calculus III with A's and B's... I just have forgotten the easy stuff I suppose... DARN ALGEBRA

Verbal Ability 412/ 68%
Biology 425/ 84%
Reading Comp 416/ 71%
Quantitative 407/ 54%
Chemistry 438/ 90%

Composite 420/ 80%

Writing: both 3's

GPA is 3.30 and Science GPA is 3.65 and I've had 7 years experience in pharmacy, as well as certification in compounding.

The 1st time I took the PCAT, my composite was only a 47%. Do you think all of this is good enough to be accepted somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal Ability 412/ 68%
Biology 425/ 84%
Reading Comp 416/ 71%
Quantitative 407/ 54%
Chemistry 438/ 90%

Composite 420/ 80%

GPA is 3.30 and Science GPA is 3.65 and I've had 7 years experience in pharmacy, as well as certification in compounding.

The 1st time I took the PCAT, my composite was only a 47%. Do you think all of this is good enough to be accepted somewhere?

Easy :D

Got my results yesterday and I am not happy with them but not too disappointed.

VA 33%
Bio 80%
RC 58%
QA 59%
Chem 88%
Composite 69%

Writings were both 2.0

My august composite was 24% so this was a pretty good improvement in my opinion. I'm hoping the strong bio and chem scores would be seen as more important to pharmacy schools. Can anyone chime in on these results? Thanks

I just got my scores there horrible like legit! if i take it in jan would those scores even be considered? or looked at?

You have to check with the schools you are applying to. Look at the school pages on PharmCAS. You may be able to get that information there.

Verbal Ability 412/ 68%
Biology 425/ 84%
Reading Comp 416/ 71%
Quantitative 407/ 54%
Chemistry 438/ 90%

Composite 420/ 80%

Are you serious? 80 composite and 7 years experience?!! This is more than good enough.

I'm jealous... I've heard that having certification in that makes it quite easy to land a really high paying internship position.

Honestly it sounds like you should be a 'shoe in'. Tons of experience, a GPA that is above average (science is very strong), and a composite that is very strong as well (anything above a 70 is very good). Any admission committee is bound to just glance at your folder and instantly nod their heads in agreement that you're a top notch candidate.

I JUST found out my october pcat score, this is my october score versus august score. My august scores are in parenthesis. I'm worried about my reading score now. will they deny me because of low reading score despite all other scores are good?

verbal: 58 (58)
biology:76 (71)
reading: 9 (10)
quantitative: 59 (39)
chemistry 53 (58)
composite 47(43)

I know my reading score did not improve and it's really bad. But i improved 20 percentile on math and my other scores are pretty decent. I'm worried how much will the low reading score hinder me from getting into pharmacy school. My GPA is 3.68 with 3.6 for science and math gpa. 4 years of retail pharmacy experience and one year of hospital experience. Honors program graduate, phi theta kappa member, honors association treasurer.

I applied to 14 pharmacy schools, and 4 pharmacy schools have invited me to interview with them so far, and I have gone to 2 of them already. Do you think my low reading score will kill my chance of getting in? what sections do pharmacy schools look at the most on pcat? what do you guys think?

there is my application status out of all the 3 year accelerated programs i applied to:

South University-Savannah-interview 11/5-DEFERRED UNTIL MARCH :( but:xf:
University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-:xf:
Sullivan University-still waiting
Pacific university in oregon-still waiting
LECOM-ERIE-INTERVIEW 01/18:xf:
MCPHS-Worcester-hold until fall grades.

MY APPLICATION STATUS OUT OF ALL THE TRADITIONAL 4 YEAR PROGRAMS I APPLIED to:

Western New England College of pharmacy-interview 12/03:xf:
Presbyterian College-still waiting
University of Oklahoma-still waiting
Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Long Island University-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-still waiting

I just tried to purchase my score report online, and I got an error message saying my request could not be processed at this time due to routine maintenance, and asked me to please try again at a later date.
Has anybody else gotten this message? And if so, what did you do? (I'm dying to know my scores, and they didn't come in the snail mail today).

so is a 74 composite fine?
VA 53
Bio 99
RC 31(er)
QA 23(er)
Chem 85
Composite 74

Writing 3.0/3.0, mean 2.82/2.87
i have a gpa of 4 and have completed bpharm from india

Last edited:
Hey guys,

This was my first time taking the PCAT. I took the computer-based version on October 16th and I felt horrible after I left. After I finished the biology section, went into slow motion -- I don't think I completed another section after that, aside from the writing!

For those interested in knowing what the CBT is like:

They don't give you scratch paper, you get a marker (that doesn't erase) and a laminated sheet about the size of a legal sheet of paper. If you fill up the sheet then you have to raise your hand, and the proctor gives you a fresh one. That was a little time consuming -- especially if they don't see you right away.

Anyhow, I've been anxiously waiting on my scores, checking every day to see if they were available online yet. On Nov. 17th, I was able to view the score report and this is how I did:

Verbal 461 (99)
Biology 466 (99)
Reading Comp. 416 (71)
Quant. Ability 407 (54) :thumbdown:
Chemistry 426 (81)
Composite 435 (94)

Writing 3.5/3.0 (mean 2.82/2.87)

This is so much better than I thought -- so Pearson has gotten their last dollar out of me, but the last $20 I gave them was well worth it.

--M

anybody get by mail yet? i also refuse to pay the $20. im actually really impatient... but... i refuse to pay for something that i know is free...

so when does the schools receive them?

i am awaiting mail...

I gave in and couldn't wait... stupid me... I knew I did bad though as soon as I left the test.. I didn't hardly study, I took some of those Practice Tests but those aren't really good for "studying" just gave me the idea of how the test was going to be like.. Do I stand any chance of even submitting my PharmCas for review? lol.. I'm guessing I shouldn't pay the $250 for PharmCas huh?

Composite 399 (41)
Chemistry 382 (19)
Quantitative Ability 398 (38)
Reading Comprehension 404 (52)
Biology 402 (51)
Verbal Ability 409 (63)

Problem Solving 3.0 (2.87)
Conventions of Language 3.0 (2.82)

Last edited:
english is not my first language is a VERY VALID excuse... ~ but nobody has time to listen to excuses with the amount of competent competition out there...

somebody advice

I made a similar score of 69 composite.

27 VA
76 Bio
47 RC
84 QA
85 CHEM

3.5/3.0

What do you guys think our situations are for getting into pharmacy school? (I'm probably applying to Texas A&M Kingsville and Texas Tech) 3.95 science GPA 3.88 Overall GPA. NSF REU w/ review publication, no pharm experience. volunteering and leadership.

Ah! I don't want to pay 20 dollars to see my score! But, the anxiety is killing me... hopefully the scores will come soon.

so is a 74 composite fine?
VA 53
Bio 99
RC 31(er)
QA 23(er)
Chem 85
Composite 74

Writing 3.0/3.0, mean 2.82/2.87
i have a gpa of 4 and have completed bpharm from india

74 is good enough to get you in a few places if the schools you are applying to do not have minimum requirements for subscores. And you may have to check if they will accept your prereqs.

english is not my first language is a VERY VALID excuse... ~ but nobody has time to listen to excuses with the amount of competent competition out there...
:thumbup:

Agree. English is not my first language, but I believe that materials on the standard test can be learned and improved on if you push yourself hard enough. It's too competitive out there to whine about how short-coming you are.

English is not my first language and boy, did it show on my PCAT. Good scores on chem, math and bio, bad on reading and verbal. But I started learning English when I was seventeen so yeah, I do see "english is not my first language" as a very valid excuse especially if you came to the country at the age I did.

1st time test taker here. I have ~2.98 GPA and will be graduating with Bachelors in Chemical Science in the Spring from Florida State. I have about 6 months pharmacy experience (CVS) and am a registered Pham Tech. I have had to retake both Organic II and Analytical Chemistry.

I took the PCAT in October, here's my scores:

Writing 3.0/3.0
Verbal 432 89
Biology 418 76 (thought I bombed this, no bio classes since 2007 :eek:)
QA 410 59 (Didn't finish)
Read Comp 404 52 (yuck, thought I did much better)
Chemistry 434 88 :D
Composite 420 80 ;)

I feel like I may have really lucked out in Biology, and gotten a little screwed in Reading. The Math I did not finish the last 12 and just bubbled in.

I have sent my scores to PharmCAS, but have not applied anywhere yet. Here's the schools I am interested in:

In-State
LECOM - Bradenton
NOVA
UF
FAMU (does not accept PCAT. Seriously.)

Out of State

Mercer (GA)
P-COM - GA campus
Belmont (TN)
Lipscomb (TN)

I know several people who are in the same boat as me (low GPA and above average PCAT). I have read many other threads but most date back to 2007 and earlier.

With a PCAT of 80 and good Bio and Chem scores, has anyone else gotten in with specs comparable to this? I know there are many more Pharm programs up north, but I would really like to stay in the south.

Beyond that, is it possible that I could at least get interviewed to all these schools? I am very confident in an interview setting and think I would be able to do very well.

Thanks to all who reply! To those in similar situations, I will keep you updated!

for 3 days I've been losing sleep and sanity over the scores coming in the mail... I give up -___-, it didnt come to the mail today :(
If someone gets it by mail please post, because Im tired of being paranoid next to my mailbox.

for 3 days I've been losing sleep and sanity over the scores coming in the mail... I give up -___-, it didnt come to the mail today :(
If someone gets it by mail please post, because Im tired of being paranoid next to my mailbox.

if you're so paranoid then just look it up online. if you don't wanna do that then just be patient.

i dont necessarily consider excuses as whining, but definitely a setback in achieving success. its just too competitive out there, there are soo many people in the same situation that seem to have extraordinary stats and have stellar scores.. these people make our "excuses" invalid/irrelevant or possibly make us appear incompetent/incapable/lack of will. but i definitely cant imagine having to take the pcat in a 2nd or 3rd language.
:xf: good luck to all

First time taking it. Not bad I suppose, my main school requires a 30 composite so i guess this is alright.

Chemistry 85
Quantitative Ability 77
Reading Comprehension 40
Biology 80
Verbal Ability 77

Composite 77

I expected to get destroyed by reading. I didn't prepare for that part at all. Essays both 3's.

got a 98 composite on the PCAT...a score that I definitely need considering my overall GPA is 2.8

I had a 58 composite the first time I took the PCAT and a 62 composite this time. I'm worried because I did really low on biology. If I was accepted into a Pharmacy School and paid the deposit this past week, will I be rejected because of my new score? I'm worried they might withdraw their acceptance.

Verbal: 45
Biology: 25 (went down like 20 points somehow)
Reading: 35 (went down 10)
Quantitative 73 (went up a like 20)
Chemistry 95 (Lol went up like 40)

Essay sections i got both a 3/5. I hope they don't take away the acceptance now :(

I made a similar score of 69 composite.

27 VA
76 Bio
47 RC
84 QA
85 CHEM

3.5/3.0

What do you guys think our situations are for getting into pharmacy school? (I'm probably applying to Texas A&M Kingsville and Texas Tech) 3.95 science GPA 3.88 Overall GPA. NSF REU w/ review publication, no pharm experience. volunteering and leadership.

anyone thoughts anyone? please.

I got my scores in the mail today and they are the HORRIBLE! It was my first time taking it, and I flunked big time! I already applied to like 10 schools who require a PCAT, and dont feel like I have a shot at any school now. I have a 3.1 GPA

VA - 403 (53)
Biology - 414 (71)
RC - 381 (18)
QA - 383 (15)
Chem - 411 (63)
Composite 398 (39)

I had a 58 composite the first time I took the PCAT and a 62 composite this time. I'm worried because I did really low on biology. If I was accepted into a Pharmacy School and paid the deposit this past week, will I be rejected because of my new score? I'm worried they might withdraw their acceptance.

Verbal: 45
Biology: 25 (went down like 20 points somehow)
Reading: 35 (went down 10)
Quantitative 73 (went up a like 20)
Chemistry 95 (Lol went up like 40)

Essay sections i got both a 3/5. I hope they don't take away the acceptance now :(

I wouldn't worry about it. If they accepted you, you're in... unless you really give them a reason to rescind their offer. I don't mean this the wrong way, but... 45 biology isn't great, either, so if they accepted you with that and a 58 composite, I'm sure you'll be just fine. :)

Your scores are "decent"? Somethings I just don't get. But each to their own, I guess...?

And finally, to end this lengthy post...

I still haven't received my scores via mail here in Minnesota.

Last edited:
Mine came in the mail today ... Wyoming.. needless to say, still the same ****ty score I paid to see online.. lol