Passed my nbde 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental nerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ,, I just received my results back and I passed it , if any one need any help in preparing NBDE II let me know and I can help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey..my xam s n two days ...will let's knw ..what I knw ..do pharma and op nicely ....these two r confusing little bit ,as told by people who appeared for xam ,,,rest s fine...will update u after my xam:)

Wish you all the best. Do let us know about your exam experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey fefzie
At this moment just relax, be confident n do as much as you can. Freaking out is going to make things worse. Trust yourself n you will make it.

All the BEST

hey simsim how did it go????? Please telllll....Im really concerned.

Hey..my xam s n two days ...will let's knw ..what I knw ..do pharma and op nicely ....these two r confusing little bit ,as told by people who appeared for xam ,,,rest s fine...will update u after my xam:)

Got my results today I passed my PART 2 exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!
If anyone needs advice let me know. I'll try my best to help.

I gave my part 1 in 2009 july and my score is 84. I applied to many universities i dint got in anywhere. Unfortunately due to some problems i was unable to give my part II, Now i am studying for part II and planning to give by Feb 2013 and apply for next cycle. Do you guys think i have a chance to get in after my Part II. Sincere advice please.

Thank you

hi
congrats man
please help us[ what do you advice us to pass the exam?????????????QUOTE=OMFS08;13329304]Got my results today I passed my PART 2 exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!
If anyone needs advice let me know. I'll try my best to help.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys, as far as passing, I don;t know what is the magic bullet. All I know is that the knowledge you acquire through dental school is whats important. With that knowledge and a little review you should do well .The exam is very random.

Hello guys, as far as passing, I don;t know what is the magic bullet. All I know is that the knowledge you acquire through dental school is whats important. With that knowledge and a little review you should do well .The exam is very random.

Congrats omfs ...OMFS s right ..test is very random....learn as much u can ....
OMFS -- ques for u ..how long did it take for your result after the xam ,,:) me too waitg ....:xf:

Hey... I will be starting my preparation soon... Can u please guide me thru the subjects individually and what books to refer?
Also please let me know which subjects u found to be toughest... I m a slow reader and I wish to start from the toughest ones...
Any other inputs are welcome... Please help...

Got my results today I passed my PART 2 exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!
If anyone needs advice let me know. I'll try my best to help.

congrats OMFS08!!
Hope you can guide us better with your NBDE passing tips.

hey guys, i got my part 1 results a week ago and i am starting to prepare for the part 2...!!! i had a few questions about preparing for the exams..
1. i have mosby review, decks 2011, first aid and asda papers.. is it enough for the preparation?
2. As i am weak at pharmocology, so if u guys can give any tips to prepare pharma
3. where can i find the tufts pharma and oral pathology? and is it really helpful?
4. is 4 months of time enough for preparation as i am good at my dental subjects and clinical knowledge.
5. which exam did you guys find more difficult ..part 1 or part 2?

And all the best to all the people who r taking the exams or waiting for their results.

Thank you.

Hey guys ,, I just received my results back and I passed it , if any one need any help in preparing NBDE II let me know and I can help

hello dental nerd, can you please help me which books should i refer for part 2. Is kaplan course for part 2 is worth taking:confused:. what is the pattern for nbde part 2 How did you prepare for part 2. Thank you.

HELP....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am really confused about where to study the pharmacology from???
is doing tufts alone enough???? or do i refer the decks and the mosby..
I have also heard that mosby and decks are waste of time.. is that true..???
plz guide me..

I think pharma from tufts and old exam are enough to pass but do tufts more than once..
I just passed the exam 2 weeks ago and this is what I did
best of luck

I think pharma from tufts and old exam are enough to pass but do tufts more than once..
best of luck

Hi Kordi,
I have exam in next couple weeks, what do you recomend for ''patient management'' . Do you think mosby is enough?
what other subjects I have to foccus on?
any help would be appreciated.

Hi Tooth Sai,

No I did not use any hard copy of decks. Mosby I borrowed from a library. I would advice u not to waste your money on hard copies when you have the soft copies. The only hard copy I bought was of board busters which costed 189 dollars and I later realized almost a replica of the decks of 2008 and so a waste of money.
All the best!

Hey... I will be starting my preparation soon... Can u please guide me thru the subjects individually and what books to refer?
Also please let me know which subjects u found to be toughest... I m a slow reader and I wish to start from the toughest ones...
Any other inputs are welcome... Please help...

Hey thanks a lot for your reply!! I have been Confused for Pharma because I am getting different suggestions from people. And moreover its a scary Subject^.

best of luck

For those that didn't see when I posted this. Here is my NBDE experience: I took the exam on November 5 and 6th. Also took DSE exam on November 7th so I'll include that too below.

I studied for 3 weeks hardcore, using Mosby just for Patient Management and Decks for everything else (I referenced some stuff from Mosby for other sections though). I did all the ASDA release questions I could get my hands on as well as Kaplan Q Bank online. I think that my combination worked for me.

Part II - So I was extremely nervous when I got to the exam and didnt know what to expect. The first section was straight forward, some really simple questions and some that were in between and a few WTF questions. I felt great when I finished the first section. I mean, confident! But the 2nd section after the break was really tough!!! The hard questions kept coming and the easy questions were few. Plus you will get BURNED out!!! It's a lot of questions so practice a lot before taking it. Practice sitting down and doing 200 or more questions without break.
Overall the exam was fair, I felt like they were not trying to trick you, basically making sure that we know what we should as dentists. The hardest questions to me were the dental materials questions. I hated this topic and didnt know to review it. But good thing is those questions were few.

Day 2 was case based. This day was not as bad as the first day for me since it was only 100 questions lol. But the topics were the same just looking back and forth on pictures, case details, xrays and charts took getting used to. But the questions were straightforward. Practice reading xrays and diagnosing basically.

Break down by Sections:

Pharmacology: Just the basics, Tufts Pharmacology and ASDA release questions will be sufficient, no need to go back and read your class notes on this lol. SERIOUSLY. Very basic and obvious answers for the most part.

Pathology: Just doing the asda released questions and reading decks should suffice if you had a good background in Path. Key stuff to know ectodermal dysplasia, dentinogenesis imperfecta, amelogenesis imperfecta, cleidocranial dysplasia, leukoplakia, candidiasis, lichen planus, dentigerous cyst, okc, basal cell carcinoma, Odontoma etc. Just the most common stuff that you would expect.

Pedo - I didnt get much pedo questions on my exam but you may not be so lucky. Just review calcification, flouride supplement, eruption and space maintainers. Also cerebral palsy etc

Endo - Endo was heavily tested lol .Seems like every other question was either asking about how to diagnose an endodontically involved tooth or how to tx it. SO make sure you are well versed in these areas and can recognize endo lesions on xrays. Release ASDA papers and your class knowledge should be enough.

Radiology - Very few radiology was asked for me. Basically know how to recognize anatomic structures on a radiograph. Also know about kvp and MA and how they affect radiographs. Know what kind of errors can occur with radiographs and how to identify them if given. Decks is good for radiology as well . Also I recommend googling around and looking at all the images you can find. That will help a great deal!!

Restorative -Decks all the way, these questions were the toughest for me because its my least favorite part of dentistry lol. Just use decks and all the old questions you can get your hand on and going over mosby is not bad for this section either.

Ortho - Very very very little ortho was asked. Decks and Mosby are overkill for ortho. If you payed attention in class you should be fine. If not then make sure to solve all ortho questions in ASDA papers. Also decks was extremely good but overkill. Know all the ceph stuff and space maintainers ofcourse.

Oral Surgery - This section was not very thorough at all. Just the basics as well. Anesthesia dose, notrous, contraindications, indications etc. Also impactions a little bit. Don't know what helped better but Mosby was pretty good for this section for my exam. Know about medical conditions and how to manage them hypertension, diabetes etc. Know about stuff like dry socket and general oral surgery post op complications.

Now for the final and most important section lol PATIENT MANAGEMENT! - MOSBY MOSBY MOSBY seriously! This section was heavily tested. I cant stress it enough. Know it cold!!!! All the stuff about insurance and sterilization etc!!

DSE (NERB written exam) - Is basically a mini version of NBDE Part 2 but a whole lot more pictures and cases!!! Perio is heavily tested on this so brush up on your perio! hha. Seriously! Best source for DSE, I don't really know, a little of everything I would say. For me DSE had easier questions that PART 2 but was more difficult because of all the cases and pictures and diagnosing you had to do!

Forgive my typos, I am really really tired. Don't know if I left anything off but that's all I have.
Anyways, good luck everyone. I got my results already and thank goodness I passed both exams. Just study hard and do LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!! I also have a lot of boards and DSE stuff if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Study HARD!!!

For those that didn't see when I posted this. Here is my NBDE experience: I took the exam on November 5 and 6th. Also took DSE exam on November 7th so I'll include that too below.

I studied for 3 weeks hardcore, using Mosby just for Patient Management and Decks for everything else (I referenced some stuff from Mosby for other sections though). I did all the ASDA release questions I could get my hands on as well as Kaplan Q Bank online. I think that my combination worked for me.

Part II - So I was extremely nervous when I got to the exam and didnt know what to expect. The first section was straight forward, some really simple questions and some that were in between and a few WTF questions. I felt great when I finished the first section. I mean, confident! But the 2nd section after the break was really tough!!! The hard questions kept coming and the easy questions were few. Plus you will get BURNED out!!! It's a lot of questions so practice a lot before taking it. Practice sitting down and doing 200 or more questions without break.
Overall the exam was fair, I felt like they were not trying to trick you, basically making sure that we know what we should as dentists. The hardest questions to me were the dental materials questions. I hated this topic and didnt know to review it. But good thing is those questions were few.

Day 2 was case based. This day was not as bad as the first day for me since it was only 100 questions lol. But the topics were the same just looking back and forth on pictures, case details, xrays and charts took getting used to. But the questions were straightforward. Practice reading xrays and diagnosing basically.

Break down by Sections:

Pharmacology: Just the basics, Tufts Pharmacology and ASDA release questions will be sufficient, no need to go back and read your class notes on this lol. SERIOUSLY. Very basic and obvious answers for the most part.

Pathology: Just doing the asda released questions and reading decks should suffice if you had a good background in Path. Key stuff to know ectodermal dysplasia, dentinogenesis imperfecta, amelogenesis imperfecta, cleidocranial dysplasia, leukoplakia, candidiasis, lichen planus, dentigerous cyst, okc, basal cell carcinoma, Odontoma etc. Just the most common stuff that you would expect.

Pedo - I didnt get much pedo questions on my exam but you may not be so lucky. Just review calcification, flouride supplement, eruption and space maintainers. Also cerebral palsy etc

Endo - Endo was heavily tested lol .Seems like every other question was either asking about how to diagnose an endodontically involved tooth or how to tx it. SO make sure you are well versed in these areas and can recognize endo lesions on xrays. Release ASDA papers and your class knowledge should be enough.

Radiology - Very few radiology was asked for me. Basically know how to recognize anatomic structures on a radiograph. Also know about kvp and MA and how they affect radiographs. Know what kind of errors can occur with radiographs and how to identify them if given. Decks is good for radiology as well . Also I recommend googling around and looking at all the images you can find. That will help a great deal!!

Restorative -Decks all the way, these questions were the toughest for me because its my least favorite part of dentistry lol. Just use decks and all the old questions you can get your hand on and going over mosby is not bad for this section either.

Ortho - Very very very little ortho was asked. Decks and Mosby are overkill for ortho. If you payed attention in class you should be fine. If not then make sure to solve all ortho questions in ASDA papers. Also decks was extremely good but overkill. Know all the ceph stuff and space maintainers ofcourse.

Oral Surgery - This section was not very thorough at all. Just the basics as well. Anesthesia dose, notrous, contraindications, indications etc. Also impactions a little bit. Don't know what helped better but Mosby was pretty good for this section for my exam. Know about medical conditions and how to manage them hypertension, diabetes etc. Know about stuff like dry socket and general oral surgery post op complications.

Now for the final and most important section lol PATIENT MANAGEMENT! - MOSBY MOSBY MOSBY seriously! This section was heavily tested. I cant stress it enough. Know it cold!!!! All the stuff about insurance and sterilization etc!!

DSE (NERB written exam) - Is basically a mini version of NBDE Part 2 but a whole lot more pictures and cases!!! Perio is heavily tested on this so brush up on your perio! hha. Seriously! Best source for DSE, I don't really know, a little of everything I would say. For me DSE had easier questions that PART 2 but was more difficult because of all the cases and pictures and diagnosing you had to do!

Forgive my typos, I am really really tired. Don't know if I left anything off but that's all I have.
Anyways, good luck everyone. I got my results already and thank goodness I passed both exams. Just study hard and do LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!! I also have a lot of boards and DSE stuff if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Study HARD!!!

thanks a lot! really appreciate it!

Break down by Sections:

that's a very helpful post :). I really appreciate your work!!

guys , just study Decks ,, and memorize it very well , and trust me u will be just fine

Ditto... I took part 2 in December 2012 and just received my PASSING grade today :) :) :) All I did was dental decks - everything EXCEPT the pharm decks, didn't touch them because I did tufts pharm review which was great --- the pharm questions I didn't know I definitely wouldn't have known no matter how I studied because they were weird/obscure questions. I went through each deck one at a time and if I absolutely knew a card I put it away for good, if I wasn't sure I looked at it a second time later on. I'm so glad to be done.

Hey can anybody please tell me where can I get tufts pharma review and mosby for patient management?

I have part 2 in 5 days ...i am really worried about day 2 ..any tips guys ? ..plz help me out:scared:

I passed my NBDE part 2..:) :) :)
wow such a relief.
I did Mosby , Decks 2011-2012 , Qbank DMD
First aid and firstaid Q-A ( not in all subjects ) and
Tufts for pharma and oral path ... ASDA K L M
Lots and lots of google and wiki.
Read all questions carefully.. that is the key to be safe :)
Got my results in 11 days pretty quick :)

Last edited:
I passed my NBDE part 2..:) :) :)
wow such a relief.
I did Mosby , Decks 2011-2012 , Qbank DMD
First aid and firstaid Q-A ( not in all subjects ) and
Tufts for pharma and oral path ...
Lots and lots of google and wiki.
Read all questions carefully.. that is the key to be safe :)
Got my results in 11 days pretty quick :)

Hey D1804,

When did u give your exam and where do you live? I gave it 24 & 25th. Wanted to know when I can expect mine.

Thanks in advance!!

Hey D1804,

When did u give your exam and where do you live? I gave it 24 & 25th. Wanted to know when I can expect mine.

Thanks in advance!!

I live in Illinois near Chicago ...may be that is why I got my result in less then 2 weeks after all it dispatches from Chicago... thats what I am guessing.

For NBDE part 1.. I got my result in 20 days (including weekends) I was in New York at that time.

....so things are really unpredictable ...This time it was a long weekend in between too ...even I am surprised to see my result today.

Last edited:
I live in Illinois near Chicago ...may be that is why I got my result in less then 2 weeks after all it dispatches from Chicago... thats what I am guessing.

For NBDE part 1.. I got my result in 20 days (including weekends) I was in New York at that time.

....so things are really unpredictable ...This time it was a long weekend in between too ...even I am surprised to see my result toda

Thanks for your response! Hope I just clear and congrats on your results