Part 2 Failures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused Kid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there failed twice and are trying to taking it for the third time....

I am scared out of my mind to take for the 3rd time and just wondering if anyone failed twice and passed the 3rd time or failed twice and failed again...

how did you guys study...i just ordered the kaplan books and hopefully they will help...i am trying to leave no leaf unturned

Members don't see this ad.

oops. thats right, I accidently added that in. My raw score was a 70 for that section. So my overall raw was thus 327. Sounds more like it huh?

oops. thats right, I accidently added that in. My raw score was a 70 for that section. So my overall raw was thus 327. Sounds more like it huh?

You're right, now it sounds more like it!! Like the last poster said, it looks like if you get over 340 that's a pass. Good luck on the next go-round!!!

Greetings; you don't need to get fancy. A good method to study is to know your weaknesses and hammer those home first. Making sure you know the decks and mosby's is a great base for your knowledge. Don't get too caught up in how many times you go over the material. You can go over the material 10 times very fast and not nearly have as much efficiency as someone who takes the time to properly absorb and understand only the material that he is struggling with in only ONE pass. One you have a strong base, you can start going over exam questions and those will identify gaps in your knowledge that will otherwise be impossible to identify when studying. Its hard to tell whether or not you absorbed information. Even if you did; is it implemented enough in your mind to apply it to a test question and eliminate choices? Hope this helps. And good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings; you don't need to get fancy. A good method to study is to know your weaknesses and hammer those home first. Making sure you know the decks and mosby's is a great base for your knowledge. Don't get too caught up in how many times you go over the material. You can go over the material 10 times very fast and not nearly have as much efficiency as someone who takes the time to properly absorb and understand only the material that he is struggling with in only ONE pass. One you have a strong base, you can start going over exam questions and those will identify gaps in your knowledge that will otherwise be impossible to identify when studying. Its hard to tell whether or not you absorbed information. Even if you did; is it implemented enough in your mind to apply it to a test question and eliminate choices? Hope this helps. And good luck.

Good point. I really plan on just being thorough with the decks and using mosbys this time around. Although after talking to classmates it really seems like there is a general feeling that the operative section was really hard to prepare for.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the operative section? It seems the decks is a little outdated with respect to the operative section especially.

HI evryone i also failed the first time! :( studied for two weeks, read the decks once, and studied the released papers, no mosby, no first aif..or anything else and i got a 326 raw score ... good enough for a 73....i really hope its not truw that second time around the curve is harder on you or that the test is harder.....this time ive been reading mosby's and researching a little more on my weaker spots.....im taking it again in March...if anyone can help me out i would REALLy appreciate it .... or if anyone wants to be a stdy buddy~! thanksss:oops:

HI evryone i also failed the first time! :( studied for two weeks, read the decks once, and studied the released papers, no mosby, no first aif..or anything else and i got a 326 raw score ... good enough for a 73....i really hope its not truw that second time around the curve is harder on you or that the test is harder.....this time ive been reading mosby's and researching a little more on my weaker spots.....im taking it again in March...if anyone can help me out i would REALLy appreciate it .... or if anyone wants to be a stdy buddy~! thanksss:oops:

iluvteeth8- Sounds like you are doing the right thing, trying to get stronger in your weaker areas and using other resources. Also studying with someone else is very smart, it helps to reinforce points and share ?s and concerns over board topics, smart move. I truly don't think that the exam is harder to pass once you have failed it once. I thought that happened to me since I happened to fail it on the second time, but I guess I must have missed some key concepts on the second go-round. That's just my opinion. Good luck and just take your time in studying and UNDERSTANDING key concepts, that's where a buddy will come in handy.

iluvteeth8- Sounds like you are doing the right thing, trying to get stronger in your weaker areas and using other resources. Also studying with someone else is very smart, it helps to reinforce points and share ?s and concerns over board topics, smart move. I truly don't think that the exam is harder to pass once you have failed it once. I thought that happened to me since I happened to fail it on the second time, but I guess I must have missed some key concepts on the second go-round. That's just my opinion. Good luck and just take your time in studying and UNDERSTANDING key concepts, that's where a buddy will come in handy.

thanks!! well...we'll see what happens, I'm really finding MOSBY's very helpful AND im reading up on things i didnt even go over ONCE last time, because i didnt even know it was part of the test, like Principles and Code of ethics from the ADA website, after going over it last night i found the answers to about 6 questions from the first time i took it, so theres a tip for some of us who r asking "what should i do this time?" I also recommend reading up on implants, osteoradionecrosis, and biphosphonates...i had a lot of questions on that... so good luck everyone =)

what is the best source for studying for the implant questions that everyone keeps mentioning are so hard? I am taking the exam in one week!!!

odontologia, what is pm? im struggling studying for implants too. i didnt pass it the 1st attempt. thanks

that means check your private messages. underneath your log-in, you have a way to check messages or send private messages, i sent you one, good luck!

You're right, now it sounds more like it!! Like the last poster said, it looks like if you get over 340 that's a pass. Good luck on the next go-round!!!

I don't know how common knowledge this stuff, but I'm going to post it because I wish I had known it sooner:

We had a meeting with our administration and they said that in every test there are certain "anchor questions" that test key concepts in all the disciplines. Independent of your cumulative points, you must get a certain number of these anchor questions right. So straight score alone won't do it. Although the more questions you get right overall, obviously the higher the chance that you have gotten the threshold of anchor points correct.

Also they said that the joint commission did not change anything for the test except that they "recalibrated" which they do every 3-5 years. Recalibration means meaning with experts/test witers in each field and determining how many questions you can miss and still be clinically competent. The fail rate at our school has jumped from 5% to 30% - that's one crazy calibration.

Also they said that the joint commission did not change anything for the test except that they "recalibrated" which they do every 3-5 years. Recalibration means meaning with experts/test witers in each field and determining how many questions you can miss and still be clinically competent.

Isn't this a contradiction - the JC did not change anything for the test except a recalibration on how many questions you can miss and still be competent.

translation - they made it harder to be competent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this a contradiction - the JC did not change anything for the test except a recalibration on how many questions you can miss and still be competent.

translation - they made it harder to be competent.

That's not a contradiction. "They didn't change anything except" is the same as "The only thing they changed is"

And IIRC, they noticed the increase in fail rate and have stated they believe their calibration is accurate and reasonable and is not the cause of the increase in fail rates.

That's not a contradiction. "They didn't change anything except" is the same as "The only thing they changed is"

And IIRC, they noticed the increase in fail rate and have stated they believe their calibration is accurate and reasonable and is not the cause of the increase in fail rates.

that is the biggest bunch of crap right there!! so, the calibration is not the reason why there is an increase in failure rates? then, what is it???
that schools all the sudden are not teaching what is needed in order to pass the exam? that students all the sudden have become lazier and are not studying sufficient? All of the sudden there is a calibration, there is an GREAT increase in failure rates, and this is not to blame?? c'mon, what a bunch of bull crap that is!!! Not directed to you armorshell!! :D

hahaha.

"They believe their calibration is not the reason for the increase in failure rates" is like me saying i believe Apollo Creed won the fight with Ivan Drago in Rocky 4.

I think it's safer to say when the failure rate spikes across the nation's dental schools 25%, the ASDA has launched an inquiry and dental deans are booking hotels in Chicago that it just may have something to do with the re-calibration.

Armorshell i don't presume to know where you are coming from but to say that students just decided to drop their game across the nation for their part II licensing board will have opened one of the greatest mysteries of our time.

Last edited:
Armorshell i don't presume to know where you are coming from but to say that students just decided to drop their game across the nation for their part II licensing board will have opened one of the greatest mysteries of our time.

There seems to be a communication breakdown...

that is the biggest bunch of crap right there!! so, the calibration is not the reason why there is an increase in failure rates? then, what is it???
that schools all the sudden are not teaching what is needed in order to pass the exam? that students all the sudden have become lazier and are not studying sufficient? All of the sudden there is a calibration, there is an GREAT increase in failure rates, and this is not to blame?? c'mon, what a bunch of bull crap that is!!! Not directed to you armorshell!! :D

I asked that exact question to someone in charge of development of NBDE II and got no response. Its amazing that these people aren't going to be held accountable by the ADA (or whomever they answer to) for this fiasco. The average DAT scores for incoming classes have gone up, at least at my school, in the last five years. Yet, according to the Joint Commission's experts, this year's class is the most incompetent in ten years. They would all rather try to cover their own a** than admit they were wrong and do whats right.

Just got the letter....76.....I am very excited to see this!

First of all, I would like to say "Thank You!" to SinglemomDDS. She post the hits and gave me a light to let me know how much energy I should put to re-take this exam. Great!

I support ASDA's plan to audit the fairness of Part 2 passing rate. But, the only thing I can't still tell is didn't I study enough to pass the exam or the exam questions are getting easier (to me only), so I am lucky to pass this exam?

I think the previous posts had mentioned a lot how to study for this exam. I compiled their experience and arranged enough time to study for it.

congratulations!!

Just got the letter....76.....I am very excited to see this!

First of all, I would like to say "Thank You!" to SinglemomDDS. She post the hits and gave me a light to let me know how much energy I should put to re-take this exam. Great!

I support ASDA's plan to audit the fairness of Part 2 passing rate. But, the only thing I can't still tell is didn't I study enough to pass the exam or the exam questions are getting easier (to me only), so I am lucky to pass this exam?

I think the previous posts had mentioned a lot how to study for this exam. I compiled their experience and arranged enough time to study for it.

After 4 attempts, and countless hours of studying, i have finally passed my boards...the past yr was brutal and cannot describe the agony and how it has affected my life...now i just got to make the best of it, and know that everything happens for a reason!!!!!!

im super pumped and now just need to figure out what to do with my life haha...

all the failures out there, study, and its def possible...dont lose hope..i almost did, but with the support of sdn members and family, i was able to focus once more and study my ass off!!!!!

good luck to everyone!

Congrats Confused Kid!
That is exciting! I am retaking Part 2 for the second time on Thurs. and I hope to pass as everything is riding on this. I'm pretty nervous about it.

After 4 attempts, and countless hours of studying, i have finally passed my boards...the past yr was brutal and cannot describe the agony and how it has affected my life...now i just got to make the best of it, and know that everything happens for a reason!!!!!!

all the failures out there, study, and its def possible...dont lose hope..i almost did, but with the support of sdn members and family, i was able to focus once more and study my ass off!!!!!

good luck to everyone!

Congrats, you are awesome. So glad you made it. You are an inspiration
icon14.gif

good luck to everyone!

Congrats confused kid!! Wonderful news!! It's super nice to have your life back and get a job and forget this damn nightmare!! I'm sooo enjoying working and finally making money and enjoying this wonderful career we chose!!!! :love:

I failed my 3rd time, anybody any suggestion, what to do next..?? should i really wait for a year? is there any other solution?? Im not study in the US, but i need this qualification, anybody suggestion please..:(

So happy for you ConfudedKid! Way to GO!

good luck to everyone!

Good luck on your exam tomorrow! Try not to be too nervous and just do your best.

Congrats Confused Kid!
That is exciting! I am retaking Part 2 for the second time on Thurs. and I hope to pass as everything is riding on this. I'm pretty nervous about it.

Thank you Endodontia! I am just praying it goes well. I think I am going to call it quits on studying for the rest of the night.

You should definitely take the night off and call it quits. You should watch a movie or something to take your mind off of the exam. You aren't going to learn much more a couple of hours before the exam, you are just going to make yourself more nervous. Good luck. You'll be fine.

Thank you Endodontia! I am just praying it goes well. I think I am going to call it quits on studying for the rest of the night.

You should definitely take the night off and call it quits. You should watch a movie or something to take your mind off of the exam. You aren't going to learn much more a couple of hours before the exam, you are just going to make yourself more nervous. Good luck. You'll be fine.
Wishing you a Very Good Luck

Hey guys,

I am reading lot of inspiring things here. I just got my score 74, I failed... don't know how to go ahead from here , will really appreciate any inputs..Studied Mosby, decks , questions , kaplan questions but somehow could nt reach that magic number of 75... Thanx...

Those who have taken exam recently...pls advice what to focus in last week before exam....:xf:what medical conditions we need to be throrough in....and please suggest topics...which I should study..reading previous post where they have been telling implants..anybody can u pls tell what in prostho and cons..and where to read medical insurances.....

Thankk YOU..............................

Pls Advice....

Those who have taken exam recently...pls advice what to focus in last week before exam....:xf:what medical conditions we need to be throrough in....and please suggest topics...which I should study..reading previous post where they have been telling implants..anybody can u pls tell what in prostho and cons..and where to read medical insurances.....

Thankk YOU..............................

Pls Advice....
Just revise topics that you feel you need to brush up. Don't read any new material.

Send a respectful letter informing them about the hardship of their new NBDE-2 questions and scoring by going to:

http://www.ada.org/22.aspx
then choose "National Board Exam"

As they have made it super hard in 2010, many students are failing it once, twice and even three times which will freeze them for one year. :(

A group of fine students studied for 3 months First Aid, Kaplan, Dental Decks and released tests did not pass it! :eek:

Either change scoring way or make the questions easier to answer by an undergraduate student or sell us study materials that you bring the questions from.

Look what the President of the American Student Dental Association Corwyn Hopke said about that disaster:

http://www.asdablog.com/653/failure-rate-for-nbde-part-ii-jcnde-meeting-follow-up/

Last edited:
i thought I did well in the test and took my time answering the questions... still has anyone done the auditing ?
will try and see still i will have to study again.

Our Dean (UPENN) told us that the blackout dates for August were being lifted.. I called the ADA, and sure enough, they have been.. I have my Part 2 boards scheduled for this Thurs and Fri (Aug 20 and 21).. Good luck everyone..

hey i dont know what is the blck out date??
what does it mean ??

thanks

I just want to tell you guys to make sure kaplan updated the premedication part in the book.........Because I failed the first time because I had this info wrong....my opinion after taking the second time and passed with 80.......study Tufts book for pharma, USC released questions especially endo because there's not too much to change of it, mosby ad try to see in a pathology atlas the oral lesions how they look like.....
Good luck for all you and follow the ADA premedication standard if Kaplan didn't update it.....:luck:

I just want to tell you guys to make sure kaplan updated the premedication part in the book.........Because I failed the first time because I had this info wrong....my opinion after taking the second time and passed with 80.......study Tufts book for pharma, USC released questions especially endo because there's not too much to change of it, mosby ad try to see in a pathology atlas the oral lesions how they look like.....
Good luck for all you and follow the ADA premedication standard if Kaplan didn't update it.....:luck:

Hello,

congratulation,
do u still have the materials?? and do u think 3 months is enough to pass the test?

Thank you :)

@Denty8833

Thank you :) I am sorry I gave all my materials to a friend of mine......3 months is enough if you study at least 6 hours per day with the right material...
Good luck!!!!:luck:

maiabrazil my exam is in 27 days, what do you think I should do to pass, thats all I need ? ;-) Thank you

QUOTE=maiabrazil;10812028]@Denty8833

Thank you :) I am sorry I gave all my materials to a friend of mine......3 months is enough if you study at least 6 hours per day with the right material...
Good luck!!!!:luck:[/QUOTE]

@ confused kid :
Yes, just pass it.....it is a difficult exam to pass and I've heard rumors that next year will be passing or failing in both part 1 and 2 NBDE so why do you need a high score???:rolleyes:
just study questions now......keep it up....good luck:luck: